It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Respect & Patience

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   
This is something that relates to a member who has registered today or has been here since the doors opened. Nobody on ATS is above the law, and is permitted to disrespect other members.

Something I see happening alot, is a member who has joined the board recently, jumps into a thread to toss out an idea. Then someone else comes along who notices they have been here longer and jumps all over him.

"Wrong Forum Bud!"

"Been there done that!"

Nobody gets hurt from this, although I have seen much worse. Do they warrant a warning or punishment, No way. But a new member has to be thinking to themself, "Hell next time I'll just keep my opinion to myself". I do believe new members should browse the board for a certain amount of time and learn the ropes before criticizing, but as a senior member you should be more than willing to listen to what they have to say. If not, don't bother to respond to the thread.

If you choose to post in a thread where it may be in the wrong section, post the link to where the member can go for the next time so he does not make the same mistake twice. Sometimes being corrected by the Mod isn't enough, if another Member comes along it may stick alittle better.

We do not have to accept somebody elses opinion, but you should respect it. If you can not respect it, Don't Post! I have had several discussions with members who thought the complete opposite of myself, and were just as set in their way to prove the other one wrong. But the conversation remained respectable and open to the others opinion, in the end we both came out of it with the other side of the coin and became stronger in the defense of our own opinions.

So if you find yourself in the morning waking up on the wrong side of the bed, squirt alittle bit on the toilet seat by accident, burn your morning toast, try not to take it out on a member of ATS. New or old, everyone has the same rights to ATS.

If your not able to show some respect to a member in your post, do ATS a favor and simply do not post.

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 01:33 PM
link   
YO, how many threads do we need about behaving, dude!?
You ARE familar with the search feature..aren't you?

stuff like that?
It annoys me too Chissler.
It's almost as if real life experience doesn't count, just your registered date,
and number of points.

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Allow me to take two deep breaths.

I thought the first two lines were your whole post. Believe me I almost came right out of my chair. I was like WHAT? I always like this guys posts, He's gonna pull THIS?

But yes, you hit the nail on the head.

Ahh that gave me a good laugh. Thank you.

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Are you freakin nuts?

Just kidding.

Well said. Respect begets respect and the whole community wins.

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I wasn't going to say it...

but

we should also leave the "moderating" of the board to the Moderators...

but I understand what you're saying... there are polite ways to help "junior" members along....

there are days, when we all need a little patience in our lives...

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   
It is a delicate issue and mods cannot be everywhere at once, we do try our best to read through the majority of content in a day, even if this is merely scanning for insults and naughty phrases.

It is a matter of perception, whilst nudges of "wrong forum" are considered rude by some, to others they are considered helpful pointers. If the person has been here longer then they are but a seasoned user who - in theory - are more versed in the ways of this messageboard. As I said, it's perception.

I understand the point you're putting across, we have an introductions section and many members willing to help the newbies and we actively encourage them to read through documents made available to help them. Many get frustrated as some do not bother to learn the rules of the house and post.

Any infringements on other members are taken most seriously by the staff team.

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Well said, Chissler, and a good reminder now and then doesn't hurt.

I always try to send a u2u to someone, especially if it comes off as I may be a little harsh about it, to let them know what I mean in more detail, and let them know that I am not meaning to be offensive at all. It takes a little moment of my time, and just makes it easier for people to get along. I also like to run the search and give them links, so not only do they know it's been covered, but they get the information they want and can grab in on the discussion there.

I know the moderating should be left up to moderators, and I agree. But I also see nothing wrong with helping out a fellow member when I can, and I don't think it takes a staff title for me to do so. These moderators cannot be everywhere at once, so a little positive reinforcement, along the lines of the T&C will never hurt, in my opinion. I like this site, and I want to see all of us do well, because that's what it takes. Plus, if you notice Chissler's work on this site, he does a great job in helping out, and supplies members with avatars when they need them, which makes new members feel more "at home".

I ramble, so I stop. Good one, Chissler.

*Edit - Additional point, and grammar. *

[edit on 8/24/06 by niteboy82]

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
I wasn't going to say it...

but

we should also leave the "moderating" of the board to the Moderators...

Please elaborate how exactly I am moderating?

Members disrespecting new members simply because their new is wrong. Trying to help somebody is Human Nature, Not Moderating. I tend to help some members when they ask questions, I don't expect everybody to do it but its something I enjoy doing. The purpose of my post was, if somebody is looking for help on the board, either help them or don't post.

If they post in the wrong spot, and your aware of it, then you obviously must know where the correct spot is. Rather than simply saying, "Hey Bud, Wrong Forum". Let them know, "Next time try the War on Terrorism, You can find it on ATS". That would be more than enough I think.

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 01:46 PM
link   
no no no....

Chissler..... wasn't directed at you... I just meant in general....

sort of going along with what you originally posted...

a new person comes along and posts something, gets blasted by "members" who should have just let the moderators handle the situation, instead of being rude....

and yes Nerdling, I know, you guys have a lot of "area" to cover here and can't be everywhere at once... thats why we do have a couple of handfuls of "members" who are very nice and helpful, actually a couple of which should be mods...

[edit on 24-8-2006 by elevatedone]

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Whew,

I'm glad you read on past the first 2 lines!

YOu know, in a few companies I've worked for, and in various schooling, classes, training sessions..There always seems to be, what I call, the "Class Turd".

They're always SELF appointed (or annointed). They take delight in things like..
Tracking other employees time, lunchbreaks..Any gossip is reported to the supervisor. etc. also known as Rat, Brown noser, buttkisser..

I think there is a similar syndrome on message boards.

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Whew,

I'm glad you read on past the first 2 lines!

YOu know, in a few companies I've worked for, and in various schooling, classes, training sessions..There always seems to be, what I call, the "Class Turd".

They're always SELF appointed (or annointed). They take delight in things like..
Tracking other employees time, lunchbreaks..Any gossip is reported to the supervisor. etc. also known as Rat, Brown noser, buttkisser..

Yes, have one here at the company of which I work... he's a real piece of ... work himself...

he started tracking my time and activity at work, one day he commented on it and I told him "there are 3 people in the building that I report to, and you're not one of them, if you don't like that then we can take it outside" He doesn't talk to me anymore and thats the way I like it. However, he still keeps track of everyone's time

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 01:52 PM
link   
and so I say: "Hey nerdy bebbeh, fix the images in your sig"

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 01:53 PM
link   
"Been there done that!"

Originally posted by chissler
Please elaborate how exactly I am moderating?

By sharing your opinion on board culture, of course.

Only mods are allowed to express opinions about ATS culture. :shk:

Obviously, I kid.

No, there's nothing wrong with wanting ATS to be a welcoming environment for all members and certainly nothing wrong with saying so.

Every time any of us discourages someone from posting their honest opinions, our community dies a little bit. Over time, "meanness" can destroy a forum.

I've seen it happen. It ain't pretty.

Hence admonitions like this: Courtesy Is Mandatory

It's something we must all remember, lest we lose something precious to us.

P.S. While we do ask that members avoid flame wars, there's nothing wrong with any member encouraging good behavior. If you see any obvious T&C violations, though, we do appreciate a heads-up via the Complain feature.

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I agree SD.

elevatedone, I apologize. Took your post the wrong way, I thought I was getting the regular ass-kisser for trying to make a point.

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   
nobody ever kisses mine, and I totally wash it every day, and with soap, and then afterwards I use a good moisturizer, so really people are missing out on some freakin beautiful soft skin perfect for puckering up on... :shk:

However when someone does post a thread, in which they had to change the title because it says "thread with this name already exists and lys will bite your head off if you change a word or two or spelling or add and extra ! to get around this" I shall be there to point out the idiocy, this really just applies to BTS

And, its not "newbies" who usually do that

/huggles n stuff

edit: cuz lys likes it sloppeh

and: cuz lys forgot to put -ING

edit: for BTS

toss in this edit: for jazzin' it up a bit.

last edit i swear: had to take out the ' on freakin' cause it destroyed color code

ps: I lied I had to fix a smilie, and well now I just wanna add some coloring.

[edit on 24-8-2006 by Lysergic]

gosh what a sexy slop post that is.

psp:
chissler mostly haha

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Hey chissler F- You, and your whining.

No - just kidding! I totally agree with you. I'm pretty new to the board, and frankly don't really write too often. I tend to read more than write. When I first came on board, I fell victim to a couple of members berating my posts. I've had a couple of debates in various threads, yet I always try to maintain diplomacy just as you suggest. It really is common sense. Not only do you not offend a fellow ATS'er, but you also keep a dignity for yourself when you act civil.
Nice post dude/dudette.

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 03:04 PM
link   
kerbump

Mainly cause Nerdling needs to switch his tags in his sig to the ats /ats instead of img ones

rwar

and chissler had a good point

ps: I want a smilie of two monkeys giving cheers, I am sure Mirthful Me would agree!

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   
BUT, BUT, BUT

Coming from a new member (Though Im pretty active) the "newbies" need to understand also, that when a member that is not a Mod. corrects you politely, DON'T!!! Go off the deep end either!!!

There have been some NON mod, members that have taken me in hand and helped me a lot, I really appreciate that...

Semper

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   
lombozo.. Its Dude!

Lys.. Allow me to be the first to say, What? King of the Wookies, L33T & Edits.

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Based on my experience with other boards, I think it's wise that we talk about good manners and what it takes to maintain them. It's a costant battle, and it will neer end in spite of the fact that new members are confronted with so many FAQ's and good role models. In the same way that we develop a thick hide to repell the barbs of other people's comments ,we need to develop a thick hide when it comes to the actions or misdeads of new members. By ATS standards, I'm new. We can't all be veterans, but we can be vocal and vigilant.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join