It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the ultimate Concealed carry Gun?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tom Bedlam
lakewood:

Have you ever checked out the IDPA or IPSC? I'd bet that there is a chapter of one or the other near you.

If you're going to start packing, and you're serious about it, it's a world of fun and pretty decent training. A great addition to range time. Not knowing where you are in Texas, I don't know what might be around, but both sites have a "what's near me" lookup.

One of my friends once said, if you ran a mile or two, did a couple of poppers and had your IRS agent chase you into the course with a summons, an IDPA course could be almost like the real thing.

- edit -

Here are a couple of links, in the US the IPSC is called the USPSA

www.uspsa.org...
www.idpa.com...

[edit on 13-8-2006 by Tom Bedlam]

Tom

thanks for the tip i am going to look into your information. I do appreciate it, oh bu the way i am located in Dallas the city in Texas if you didnt know

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   
The international IPSC organisation
www.ipsc.org...
They have a good discussion forum out there

I shoot in the Production division with a CZ-75B

It's a good defence weapon, but my choise for a 24/7 carry gun would be a 3" S&W .357...

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 09:55 AM
link   
In the USofA it is called USPSA. I agree it will teach you gun handling and fast mag changes. I shoot limited with my 35 and have a lot of fun.

There is a map also here. uspsa.org...

Roper

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I think concealed carry is more of a problem in warm places like Cali or Texas, you can carry an RK-95 (Sako assaul rifle, folding stock) under my winter coat (tried and tested
) Alltough concealed carry is not allowed here..

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Here is the world's most concealable firearm!

Swiss Mini Gun

you could put it on a key chain!

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh

Originally posted by jprophet420 i have seen people with more firepower than anyone should ever have and it was all legal. let alone the fact anyone can get a gun on the streets that wants one.

Firstly, who says what level of firepower someone should have, secondly, anyone can get a gun ILLEGALY who wants one, but not legally.

Since only the law abiding obey the law, when you pass gun laws you disarm only the law abiding, felons always have guns. The UK found that out the hard way as they now have runaway levels of gun crime and yet centerfire handguns are now banned - go figure huh.

The country with the highest level of firearms ownership is Switzerland, and they also have one of the lowest levels of gun crime - counter intuitive isn't it? - no it isn't.

Lakesiderealtor - love your H&H info - classy posts.

one person should only have enough firepower to be able to defend themselves.

in the united states the law is oudated and altered as seen fit. according to the constitution, you have the right to bear arms with intent to overthrow whomever. they didint have the weapons that they have now and do some are banned and some arent. the reality of it is any weapon available should be allowed. anything 'they' can have 'we' can have. that is the spirit of the law. the letter of the law has been lawyered to death and is outdated. some people have even done research and come to the conclusion that 'right to bear arms' is more like 'right to server in the military' i.e. 'you can be drafted...'

as far as switzerland thats fine and dandy, but the places that have the least gun crime are the ones where its legal to conceal.

that brings it back to the catch 22 you mentioned with legal vs illegal. in a place where you can own a pistol but cant bring it with you, what is the point if you have it legally? the criminal already has one and now you are the criminal if you bring your 'legal gun'.

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 09:45 PM
link   
My current carry is a S&W 4040PD AirLite in .40 S&W, and for its size it packs considerable punch while remaining manageable and the scandium(sp?) frame makes it quite comfortable riding around in the holster (not gonna say where :p). I would have to completely agree with and echo those preaching skill over weapon. Comfort with your weapon and practiced skills are worth 10x more than any fancy rig, since in the hands of an experienced shooter a Walther P22 will make you just as dead as if they were shooting at you with a .500 S&W.

Another weapon I've gotten the chance to demo is the Walther PPK (chambered in .380 ACP) which for those small of stature and on the low end of the scales its a very nice weapon, well balanced and manageable by smaller than average hands. Sure it might be dinky in size and caliber but loaded with something like Federal HydraShok I have no doubts that with good shot placement it would drop most attackers quite quickly.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I don't know if anybody has mentioned it before, but Heckler und Koch do a pretty mean MP5K which fits very snugly under the armpit attached to a waist belt and has at least 2 spare mag holders.

It still retains the single shot, 3 round or full auto burst facility of it's bigger brother and having used one for CP work, I would recommend it to anybody.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   
The best available in my humble opinion, is the Sig Arms P229 with nite sites. They also have a Concealed Carry package that rounds out the sights so that they don't catch on anything when drawn. I'd recommend the .40S&W round for it. The 9mm lacks true stopping power and has a tendency to over-penetrate and the .45 is just plain more than you need (Rounds can be costly as well). .40cal S&W hollow points will do the job perfectly in any situation. Practice range rounds cost only like $9 (US) for a box of 100.

This is the weapon of choice for the Secret Service, the Coast Guard, US Marshall Service and Homeland Security. It is one of the most reliable and most durable handguns available on the open market. I believe that you will also find that it features superior balance and recovery (Re-aiming after firing) and will fit in your hand very, very nicely.

Hope this was helpful.

Ok, timeout! I'd had a chance to review more of the post - what is going on??? Didn't you say "Concealed Carry?" Do NOT attempt to carry an assault rifle you'll go to jail. Secondly, your "piece" must be "CONCEALABLE!" Don't take crackpot advice about oversized .357s or .44s - they're typically HUGE and heavy. Normally what we have here is someone overcompensating for some physical deficiency.

Safety is an issue as well. Not just safe practices, but the actual safety mechanism on the side arm. The nice thing about the Sig P229 is that once cocked, you can release the hammer without having to engage a physical safety device. This allows for two types of firing configurations. From this position you can engage a "Long" trigger pull requiring about 7lbs of pull which will draw back the hammer and fire the weapon - without having to fumble for a safety release. Keep in mind, CCW is for self defense - there is no time to F**k around with old-fashioned safeties. Secondly, once cocked, a simple 3lb trigger pull fires the weapon. In either case, the weapon goes fully semi-auto after the first round is fired. Avoid the DAK configuration of the weapon as it has too many firing limitations.

Secondly, size and weight... The weapon needs to be comfortable to carry, easy to draw and must be CONCEALABLE. The P229 has it all. Don't get me wrong, there are small and light-weight .357s and .44s, but they lack accuracy due to a shorter barrell. They also lack in recoverability after firing. It's way too much weapon for CCW.

No matter whcih you choose, practice, practice, practice. Get proper training from a certified instructor and become intimate with it. Practice the old 2-tap firing method - Bam, Bam. This will teach you to recover after a shot and re-aim. Secondly, perfecting this technique will ensure that you stop your assailant right away ensuring that they cannot harm you in the event that you ever have to actually use it.

Finally, make sure that you understand that a CCW is NOT a simple deterrent. YOU MUST BE WILLING TO USE IT!!! I can not stress this enough. Pulling out a pistol and waving it around is going to get you killed! You must be willing to use it if required.

Good shooting!

[edit on 17-8-2006 by kozmo]

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
the xd looks good
shame we cant buy hand guns in the uk

incorrect, you can own a .22 pistol in the UK whiuch is more than enough to kill someone.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I conceal a sawed-off shotgun in my pants.

"Is that a sawed-off shotgun in your pants or are you just happy to see me?"

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I would never want a MP 5 or any of these MP 5 derivitives for anything...ever.

First off for defense or concealed carry they are way to overpriced. Very expensive. I can do just as well in pure defense with my pump shotgun. I can send lots of lead down range with one shot..and this is just simple 2 and 3/4 buckshot.
I will never understand this fascination with this type of weapon.
Mostlly to me they are not cost effecient or flexible enough for any other use than pure combat..by the military.

Some of the posters here are correct about concealibility..some tools are just naturally more suited by design for this role. Do your homework here before laying down your hard earned moneys. No reason not to do ones homework when ones hard earned moneys and life are on the line.

THanks,
Orangetom

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 12:08 PM
link   
yeah..I know...Ive carried concealed my Mini 14 with folding stock, 30 rounds, under my coat. A bit bulky but not that noticable. It was a big coat. I dont recommend this. And concealed carry is permitted in this state.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
incorrect, you can own a .22 pistol in the UK whiuch is more than enough to kill someone.

...and I'd rather use a hefty rock and pocketsand for concealed carry than a .22. Most .22s are made for target shooting, not concealed carry. And unless you hit a person fairly exactly with it, you're screwed. In June, we had a whack of people come out of clubs in Toronto who didn't even notice they took a .22 or three to arms, legs, torsos. The person the police suspect was the intended target didn't notice until he got home. He then walked to an ambulance.

Here's the thing about concealed carry: control isn't the issue. Most incidences where you'd use it, the enemy is at ranges where it is remarkably hard to miss (ten feet or less). In these cases, you get your shot or two, and it better damn well take the Bad Guy out of action. It doesn't matter if they get knocked down, or turned to chunky salsa.

The ultimate concealed carry weapon would probably be a revolver in .44 or .357, loaded with the biggest hollowpoints and most powder you can put in them. If you get your shot off, it doesn't matter if you can shoot hoops through his torso or if you blow off one of his legs. You need to disable the threat on the first shot, period.

So, the ultimate carry gun is a revolver, heavy calibre, or maybe one of those nice little derringers in .45LC/.410 (.410 in 000 buck only- American Derringer makes the ammo). I mean, doesn't look like much...but two barrels of chunky salsa effect should be more than enough.

DE

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I carry the Sig P239 in .40 after doing all the research I could. It's completety concealable, won't make your back hurt with the weight (I carry in a pancake style leather belt holster), plenty of firepower for emergency purposes. I really appreciate the wieght of the weapon- after a shot the weapon settles right back down on your target, and IMO the lighter weapons in heavy calibers really kick your hand.

world.guns.ru...

[edit on 17-8-2006 by Earlybird]

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Are you reading some of these ridiculous recommendations? I mean a Mini 14??? Come on, I have a Mini 14... with a collapsable Cop Stock from Knoxx. First of all, it doesn't even qualify as "Concealable" unless you are wearing a Persian Rug as a jacket! Second of all, it features ranged ammo. In CQB you'd overpenetrate like mad! It's an M16 wanna-be for Christ's sake! Assault rifles ARE NOT CCW!!!

For that matter, why not just recommend an RPG or a Ruger 7.62 Mauzer remake? What is the matter with people????????

I found the P239 to be a bit too small for me - I opted for the P229 instead. A bit bigger thus easier to handle, at least for me.

[edit on 17-8-2006 by kozmo]

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx

...and I'd rather use a hefty rock and pocketsand for concealed carry than a .22. Most .22s are made for target shooting, not concealed carry. And unless you hit a person fairly exactly with it, you're screwed. In June, we had a whack of people come out of clubs in Toronto who didn't even notice they took a .22 or three to arms, legs, torsos. The person the police suspect was the intended target didn't notice until he got home. He then walked to an ambulance.

A .22 round to the chest or neck will do the job just fine...besides theres no need for a gun in the UK.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   

one person should only have enough firepower to be able to defend themselves

Not necessarily.
There are a lot of different types of game and different styles of hunting in the US as well as many different types of shooting competitions.

Folks that have several or more than a few guns seldom duplicate a caliber or style.

The gun is simply a tool for the job at hand and seldom will one do it all.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 08:55 PM
link   

A .22 round to the chest or neck will do the job just fine....

Originally posted by Desert Dawg

Some words of wisdom regarding firearms and personal defense.

www.spw-duf.info...

...besides theres no need for a gun in the UK.

Surely, you jest.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Heh, and few demonstrate this more than I.

For example: the lowly 12ga shotgun. A shotgun is a shotgun, right?

I have:
1) Spas 12 (fun)
2) Mossberg Cruiser (business)
3) Browning Gold Sporting Clay (semi auto, good for some ranges)
4) Browning Citori XS Sporting (o/u, lets you have two different chokes)

I've got a lot of different firearms, and the only dups I have are of some "virgin" Colt HBAR Elites that I wanted to put back unfired. You can't get them anymore.

edit...forgot one
5) Remington 1100..the shotgun that will not die

[edit on 17-8-2006 by Tom Bedlam]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join