It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

thoughts becoming reality

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Don't know if this is the proper place for this thread, but I'd sure like to know if anyone else has had the experience in their writing careers of thinking up something (for me science fiction type stuff) and then in years to come seeing it become reality.

Two things that I've used in my short stories that are now reality are air tunnels that project upward (don't know what they are called but have seen them on tv) with very strong wind currents which enable people to float as if they are flying on the air stream.

The other one, though I have to say it wasn't entirely original with me is the possibility of entire walls of changeable scenery, not just murals or wallpaper of forests, but scenery that moves, trees blowing in the wind, animals moving through the forest, etc. I've seen wheat that blows in the wind very realistically on PC desktops, and of course we have gigantic sized HDTV. What will be really awesome is the possibility of 3D scenery and finally virtual reality scenery into which we can actually step and "sort of" live. What an escape from daily tedium that will be!

(Come to think about it, I hope very much that virtual reality will become much more accessible and plausible in the near future.
)

Hope to hear from others about your experiences along this line.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I know what you mean. To me, it's almost like a "deja-vu" experience.
There have been times when I "know" I've thought about an idea before.
Or times when I see a new gadget that I told someone "they ought to invent".
Kind of funny, isn't it. Maybe a subliminal urge to contibute to society?

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 07:12 PM
link   
YES! Not only in the writing but I'll think of something that should be invented for its usefulness and then, bam, here it comes. Uusually I've mentioned it to someone.

I like your idea about its being an unconscious urge to contribute, but personally think that some form of "thought police" really are listening.

I'm not sure how, but one plausible way is that DSL, for example, is a two way street, that is that not only does it ship info into your house, it is perfectly capable of carrying info out as well, ie, what shows you are tuning into, maybe even conversations or even taking pictures is possible.

Yet it seems way too complicated and messy for reason, I mean how would the info from those thousands of homes be processed? Still, we who have worked in the field are well aware that at least some of the technology exists. (And we are slowly becoming aware as a species that all things are within reason given enough information. Hints and flashes of insight bring about musings and enough of these can show as manifested in the outer world what was "only" accumulative reasoning within, if we pay close enough attention. (Einstein and Eli Whitney thought up or dreamed their successes before they were proven able to manifest in the outer world.)

And I am totally convinced that advertisers would use everything in their power to know what we are watching and when, and to what advertisements we are responding. I've done many market surveys and am aware of the big bucks paid for a lousy phone list, how much more a list of what people are talking about and what they are doing?

I don't really believe in coincidences.

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   
There are some things that just seem too obvious to be coinky-dinkies (even if I believed in coincidences, and I don't).

For instance, the unmasking that takes place when two people are talking and suddenly you realize the other person thinks just as you do on a kind of arcane point of ideology.

Case in point: 9/11, when flight 93 went down, I instantly got the idea that it had been shot down. Apparently others had the same thought, and now it seems almost certain it is true.

I might have mentioned the idea a time or two since then, though I doubt it pretty much as since I don't associate much with politically minded folk, I tend to keep my more 'radical' thoughts to myself (unless I'm on ATS, of course
).

Where did that thought originate? That is the question I'm asking myself, and I think the answers would apply for most who thought it.

Was it something NOT said by broadcasters? A report of the jetfighter being in the air near the airliner which was released once and never heard again until much much later? A suspicion that the government would hardly wait for a flight of passengers to take action? The timing of the come-down? Just as it was headed back to DC? Which of these hints convinced me?

When I discovered that not only did other people believe as I did but also that evidence pointed to the idea as probably being true, something more occurred to me: That musings and hints compiled over time can lead one to conclusions that eventually are brought out into the light. Of course, it could also possibly lead one to believe an absolute lie, so what is the difference? How can it be that mere thoughts can prove or disprove themselves?

Why is it so difficult to get AT the truth?

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Maybe two reasons.

1. Maybe the truth is negative. We may unintentionally shy away from the truth
subconsciously, feeling that it's there but not wanting to acknowledge it until we're
ready mentally to cope with it.

2. Maybe it's too final. Maybe we like the chase, or enjoy the ride too much to say
"that's it", "that's the truth". Take it or leave it.

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Where are the 'quote' buttons here today?

Anyway, I wanted to respond to your post, siege, and say that I believe also that the truth is difficult to discern but I believe it is only so because of our pre-conceived ideas of what can and cannot be.

That is, I believe in God, because He has made Himself known to me through supernatural and natural occurences that I do not believe are coincidental. All of the events I'm referring too occured after I made a declaration to God that "if You exist, I need help" in a very tight place in my life at which time I hardly believed in anything.

Had the ideas I'd come up with in less intense times held tight, I'd not have prayed that simple prayer, and consequently would not have arrived at the Truth that He not only exists but is concerned with our welfare.

I don't believe it was an accident that I was in a "tight place", about to lose not only my freedom, but my newborn son. No, that came about because of ideology I'd held to for years, but which had been leading me slowly but surely to the worst period of my life. It also came about due to the mercy and grace of God, Who provided for someone to be there at that time to point me to Him and Who met me at that point of great need and rescued me in very decided and dramatic fashion.

May His Name be glorified forever!!!

I say all that to say that without a need to change ideology, we think we have the Truth, but when our foxhole time comes, we, as they say in Christianity, 'see the Light', and all things become new in our eyes.

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 12:51 PM
link   
There are no quote buttons in collaborative fiction, curiousity, because the forum was established for writing, not debate.

I will move this to a location where you are able to quote and debate.

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by curiousity

(Come to think about it, I hope very much that virtual reality will become much more accessible and plausible in the near future.
)

It strikes me how it's pretty sad that humans need to create a false reality or a ' make believe ' one because this existance is so mundane and boring / stimulating. Next there will be virtual reality home sex kits for the people who ' cant get any ' and because human sex will turn boring. Try and do something with your life so you don't need a false reality built up around you in order for your life to mean something.

Although virtual reality is really effective in other ways. In order to train medical doctors etc, you could make a virtual operation room, and in the army...you could create a virtual street battlefield so the troops are fully prepared 4 engagement. That could stop another masacre like Vietnam.

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   
The Law Of Attraction explains this in a theory, connected with QUantum physics. That each individual works like a magnet, attracting what one thinks about, and desires. Sending out thoughts, Manifesting somewhere in the universe. Like attracts like, karma, god, jesus, your higher self, conciousness, etc.

Ive had personal luck by using some simple techniques, and i really care whats behind it, as long as it works. The more i smile to the world, the more the world smiles back at me.

[edit on 27-8-2006 by pekle]

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arawn

It strikes me how it's pretty sad that humans need to create a false reality or a ' make believe ' one because this existance is so mundane and boring / stimulating.

The mind cannot tell the difference of reality or what seems to be a misleading impression of it. People often put their minds in a more desirable mental place and create their own virtual reality. But I wouldn't call it a false or virtual. Maybe a circumstance of totality ....

Though,
Most people spend their time in a extended "virtual reality" world without ever noticing it. Just "think" most buildings, objects or a walk in the park is probably a design that comes from a computer, started by a single thought.

Extensions from "virtual reality" can go beyond a single thought, beyond human consciousness. Events that seem to be a coincidence may in fact have been planned. Such as walking a pathway in a park that was designed a world away, by a someone who was inspired by another and so on... until your mind catches the moment of familiarity and sameness.

I'm positive there is a "compelling force" flowing in our multiverse branching into infinitely, that connects us all. I have seen it, I have meet it. I tried avoiding it at one time, but what goes around comes around.

[edit on 28-8-2006 by XPhiles]

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arawn

)

It strikes me how it's pretty sad that humans need to create a false reality or a ' make believe ' one because this existance is so mundane and boring / stimulating. Next there will be virtual reality home sex kits for the people who ' cant get any ' and because human sex will turn boring. Try and do something with your life so you don't need a false reality built up around you in order for your life to mean something.

Although virtual reality is really effective in other ways. In order to train medical doctors etc, you could make a virtual operation room, and in the army...you could create a virtual street battlefield so the troops are fully prepared 4 engagement. That could stop another masacre like Vietnam.

Posting on a forum where there are multiple versions of reality discussed seems to me should be very unlike you, as the practical person that you present yourself to be.

To me, virtual reality would be a problem and a blessing rolled into one, not unlike TV, radio, movies, and other forms of alternate reality presenters.

Good for the entertainment value, and for those of us who don't have the money to jet set around the world, for instance, a great opportunity to experience the things we can now only view. Think of the elevation in common knowledge virtual reality might offer. For instance, my grands were raised in a big city, had few opportunities to enjoy nature. and wouldn't know a grasshopper from a dragon fly.

But they and others like them could walk with apes, view the flora and fauna of foreign countries, and so on, whatever their interests dictate. A little more desireable for educational value than cartoons I'd think.

Virtual reality doesn't have to be alternate reality or "made-up" stuff, after all.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by pekle
The Law Of Attraction explains this in a theory, connected with QUantum physics. That each individual works like a magnet, attracting what one thinks about, and desires. Sending out thoughts, Manifesting somewhere in the universe. Like attracts like, karma, god, jesus, your higher self, conciousness, etc.

Ive had personal luck by using some simple techniques, and i really care whats behind it, as long as it works. The more i smile to the world, the more the world smiles back at me.

[edit on 27-8-2006 by pekle]

Thats spot on there...

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I have this little problem.

I used to draw and paint all the time until things i was painting came true....

One example is a beautiful lake scene, i drew out of my head. 3 days later, my nephew drowned and when we went to the spot, everyone gasped. They had seen the exact spot on my painting.

So i dont do it any more. I'm afraid to.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I have had the same "kindof" experience where I will be sitting thinking about some movie I havent seen in a while, in about a week or two its advertised on the tv or people i havent seen in a while will suddenly become a "part" (not in a soppy cheesy sense) of my life again. I like the idea pekle

Its just the stuff you cannot explain

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by XPhilesThe mind cannot tell the difference of reality or what seems to be a misleading impression of it. People often put their minds in a more desirable mental place and create their own virtual reality. But I wouldn't call it a false or virtual. Maybe a circumstance of totality ....

Though,
Most people spend their time in a extended "virtual reality" world without ever noticing it. Just "think" most buildings, objects or a walk in the park is probably a design that comes from a computer, started by a single thought.

Extensions from "virtual reality" can go beyond a single thought, beyond human consciousness. Events that seem to be a coincidence may in fact have been planned. ....

I'm positive there is a "compelling force" flowing in our multiverse branching into infinitely, that connects us all. I have seen it, I have meet it. I tried avoiding it at one time, but what goes around comes around.
[edit on 28-8-2006 by XPhiles]

I've read your post twice now and am still struck with the original sentence, is the statement a belief or something you've found in studies or research?

Either way it's ok, but if the latter can you provide links? It came to me as I read it the second time that if it is true of every mind, then there are some strong reasons to believe certain things I've had problems taking in in the past.

If you'd like to could you also enlarge on the last paragraph as well?

[edit on 30-8-2006 by curiousity]

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 01:33 AM
link   

I've read your post twice now and am still struck with the original sentence, is the statement a belief or something you've found in studies or research?

Either way it's ok, but if the latter can you provide links? It came to me as I read it the second time that if it is true of every mind, then there are some strong reasons to believe certain things I've had problems taking in in the past.

I was being some what vague, most of it is my own little dogmata as relating to immortality and faith. For me it took years to realize the connectivity. Over time I started seeing it as a connective inner feature of the universe. You can study examples of it in any religious doctrine, most people interpret this flowing force with heavenly things. There is certainly a collective conscience about it, as some have stated above. More of a "What the Bleep Do We Know?" kind of thing lol. To study it is one thing, but to experience the unavoidable casualty in several ways is another.

Anyway to keep it vague again and plus it would be time consuming to enlarge on the last paragraph for me. I would just say there is a stream of information having infinite value through out.

I'm also talking about a special person that I meet in the past, who is a part of my life now. When I first meet this person it was like bumping into a huge energy field. It was so strong I couldn't even look in its direction, it literally made me sick "this person didn't stink or wasn't ugly lol." I always could sense this person presence very strongly.

After what seems to be many eon's ago, this person is now my closest friend. There was no infatuation or anything like that when we first meet. It was just this energy was so compelling that it had me confused. Whereas before, all I could sense is bad people or people with negative energy. I believe now I was sensing a future connection, it was a pathway and circumstance that I had no control over. Ah! now to think of it, something like Star Wars lol.....

I don't claim to have psychic abilities or have the force, just find it interesting. Even more interesting when I read or hear stories alike....

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPhiles

I was being some what vague, most of it is my own little dogmata as relating to immortality and faith. For me it took years to realize the connectivity. Over time I started seeing it as a connective inner feature of the universe. You can study examples of it in any religious doctrine, most people interpret this flowing force with heavenly things. There is certainly a collective conscience about it, as some have stated above. More of a "What the Bleep Do We Know?" kind of thing lol. To study it is one thing, but to experience the unavoidable casualty in several ways is another.

Anyway to keep it vague again and plus it would be time consuming to enlarge on the last paragraph for me. I would just say there is a stream of information having infinite value through out.

I'm also talking about a special person that I meet in the past, who is a part of my life now. When I first meet this person it was like bumping into a huge energy field. It was so strong I couldn't even look in its direction, it literally made me sick "this person didn't stink or wasn't ugly lol." I always could sense this person presence very strongly.

After what seems to be many eon's ago, this person is now my closest friend. There was no infatuation or anything like that when we first meet. It was just this energy was so compelling that it had me confused. Whereas before, all I could sense is bad people or people with negative energy. I believe now I was sensing a future connection, it was a pathway and circumstance that I had no control over. Ah! now to think of it, something like Star Wars lol.....

I don't claim to have psychic abilities or have the force, just find it interesting. Even more interesting when I read or hear stories alike....

I find your post very interesting but also totally confusing, lol. I guess when you said "to keep it vague" that is exactly what you intended to do.

Interesting, though. And about the 'sensing' of what you call energy fields around people, by that I think you are referring to a kind of 'knowing' something about the person, (or at least that is what I'd call it)?

Anyway, I don't want to push you for clarity.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 01:21 PM
link   
the odds are: if you can think of it, somebody else has already thought of it.
unfortunately, this goes for 'bad' things as well as 'good' things.

ps digital wallpaper was my idea over a decade ago you IP thief

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shar_Chi
the odds are: if you can think of it, somebody else has already thought of it.
unfortunately, this goes for 'bad' things as well as 'good' things.

ps digital wallpaper was my idea over a decade ago you IP thief

LOL, and you are correct of course, but if an idea seems too close to what you're thinking of and how you think of it, it makes it impossible to believe anything else but either 1) we're not as unique as we think we are, horrors! or 2) there really is a 'stream" as xphiles calls it and we just happened to dump an idea in or dip one out as it went by.

By the way, the idea originally came to me from a story by a famous science fiction writer, Ray Bradbury, in, I think, his book about life on Mars, though I can't recall the title just now, anyway, it was one of his books that had a kid walk into the jungle through his bedroom wall that got me thinking about 3-D wall-size pictures, and that was several decades ago!

So there you are, I guess there is a 'stream', but I'll let you take the idea and run with it, if you will send me the first program to make the walls of my too small bedroom really interesting.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
There are no quote buttons in collaborative fiction, curiousity, because the forum was established for writing, not debate.

I will move this to a location where you are able to quote and debate.

Thanks, masqua, it is sometimes unimportant to me what forum I'm posting on, so thanks for the move, it makes a lot more sense to be here now.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join