It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Serious question about Hezbo targeting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   
When Hizballah luanches the rockets into northern Israel and beyond Haifa and beyond, beyond Haifa as their leader describes, are they targeting Israeli military installations or troops? Just curious. I know they have a lot Kyatuishas but i was wondering how the targeting is with these things and what the ultimate goal is with the use of this weapon.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 01:03 PM
link   
They are just firing them and hoping they'll hit something of value. Civilian or military, it doesn't seem to matter.

The accuracy of the Katushya's is very poor. Not much better than firing a bottle rocket. They are rockets, after all, not missiles.

Which is one of the reasons why the civilian count on the Israeli side of the border is much lower than on the Lebanese side; they can't hit what they want to. It's not because of humanitarian reasons.

[edit on 5-8-2006 by bombers8]

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 01:04 PM
link   
These things have a CEP of something like a mile.

In other words, they can barely be aimed well enough to hit a given city, let alone a specific target in a city. So far most have fallen in the middle of nowhere and done little more than set brushfires.

They're certainly an indiscriminate terror weapon, but they're not a terribly effective one.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Thats what i was wondering. I was thinking the Kyatushas are like bottle rockets in a way. While you can point them in a general direction, you dont quite know where they will land. What about the ZelZal missle? Is it a lot more accurate?

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Even the terrorists apologists admit that the rockets can't be aimed at ANY military target at ALL!!!!!!!!

They are nothing more than terror weapons launched at civilians-but with no military anywhere near them.

The clear difference is Hezbollah hides behind civilians and in their homes/offices/mosques...making then legitimist targets, and causing civilian deaths.
Hezbollah aims-

To hit civilians only-not any military targets.

Let’s look at a real good question: Why has Hezbollah not attempted to fire a single rocket at the massed Israeli army on the boarder- not that I want this-, but at least that would be a legit target.

NO, the terrorists Hezbollah ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!Target civilians, it's almost like they are avoiding shooting at the Israeli army-go figure?

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Not much better that a Katushya:

The Zelzal missiles are short-range, road-mobile, solid-propellant systems, of which very little is known. The first evidence of their existence came from a number of reports in 1996 which indicated that Iran had three solid propellant missile development programs, called the Zelzal-1, Zelzal-2 and Zelzal-3. However, the liquid-fueled Shahab-3 is now believed to have been designated as the Zelzel-3, which contradicts previous reports.

The Zelzal missiles are most likely unguided or use a rudimentary inertial system. They have ranges varying from 150 to 400 km (93 to 249 miles) and all carry a 600 kg payload. The missile is probably intended as a cheap alternative to importing better systems from China and will replace many of the Scuds that Iran has used against Iraq. The complete lack of a guidance system makes the system only useful as an artillery system to bombard a general area or a large target. As there is no guidance system, the angle and direction of launch will determine the ability of the missile to fly straight, and thus its accuracy. When properly launched, the Zelzal is accurate within several kilometers of its target.

missilethreat.com...

My emphasis.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Hez is out to kill anyone and hope that public opinion will shift away from the war and so Israel will stop.
Israel uses munnitions that can be targeted at suspected Hez sites and civilians are avoided.

2 very large differences in ability to hit what you want and view of human life.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Let’s look at a real good question: Why has Hezbollah not attempted to fire a single rocket at the massed Israeli army on the boarder- not that I want this-, but at least that would be a legit target.

NO, the terrorists Hezbollah ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!Target civilians, it's almost like they are avoiding shooting at the Israeli army-go figure?

The rockets can't be aimed accurately enough to hit troop concentrations, they've been attacking Israeli troop concentrations with mortars, and they're targeting Israeli armor with ATGM's - with quite a bit of success apparently.

Here's a question: if Hezbollah is "only" attacking civilian targets and Israel is "only" attacking military targets, why is it that Hezbollah so far has killed many more Israeli soldiers than civilians, while Israel, with their "precision" weaponry, has killed so many more civilians than Hezbollah guerillas?

It seems to me that despite the claims of the Israelis, both sides are freely targeting civilians. In interviews with Israeli government officials and soldiers (at least those intended for domestic and not US audiences), I get the distinct impression that the Israelis see not just Hezbollah as their enemies, but any Arab that happens to fall within their crosshairs.

Both sides are targeting civilians.
The Israelis are just much better equipped for it.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Hezbollah's Katyusha rockets are not very accurate. When they launch them at places like Haifa they are aiming to bring the city to a halt and thus harm the Israeli economy.

There are also military buildings in Haifa which were very close to the train depot that was hit by Hezbollah's Katyushas. It has been speculated that Hezbollah aimed them as best it could at the IDF military buildings close to where they hit.

One just has to look at the very small, by comparison, amount of Israeli civilians Hezbollah has killed. When you consider that Hezbollah is launching over 200 Katyushas per day into Israel you would expect far more than the dozen or so Israeli civilian dead over 3 weeks of Hezbollah rocket attack.

When compared to the amount of Lebanese civilians Israel has killed and who claim they are not targeting civilians, it would be an afront to common sense to say that Hezbollah IS targetting civilians and killed only a dozen civilians with thousands of rockets.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex

They're certainly an indiscriminate terror weapon, but they're not a terribly effective one.

funny you should admit that fact on this thread and argue it in another.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Dunno, that's pretty much exactly what I was saying in the other thread.

My argument in the other thread wasn't that Hezbollah isn't targeting civilians, but that Israel is also targeting civilians. And killing a lot more of them.

I think I've maintained this position pretty consistently since the beginning of this conflict. Perhaps you should go reread my comments without the "criticizing Israel == supporting Hezbollah" glasses on

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex

I think I've maintained this position pretty consistently since the beginning of this conflict. Perhaps you should go reread my comments without the "criticizing Israel == supporting Hezbollah" glasses on

dont wear glasses, but maybe you should take another look at your posts....but i'll let it be....we've already agreed to disagree.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Both are killing too many civilians but 1 if too many. But how do you tell a Hez soldier from a civilian when they wear the same clothes and Hez will not say how many of their people have been killed while they splash the number of civilians killed and Israel will admit to its loses, both military and civilian.

Israel is using precision munitions to hit their targets and civilians are also being it because Hez works out of civilian building, homes....( and I cant blame them for that from a military standpoint because its really the only option they have other than being killed on in a matter of days)

But Hez is firing rockets with the intent to hit what they hit whether it be soldiers, civilians, setting fires....they dont seem to care what they hit as long as its inside Israel.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 04:29 PM
link   
well yesterday they hit a military installation with a rocket. Their Military casualties are a lot higher in comparison to Israeli casualties on civilian deaths. 24 Civilians 30 soldiers -vs- 600 civilians 30 lebanese Army and 100 Hizbollah and 500K homeless.

Its just been Gods work that more have not died in Lebanon. Those bombs are capable of much more death. The weapons Hizbollah is using is like comparing a Bottle rocket to a stick of dynamite.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Yap they are but at least Israel is using precision weapons and trying NOT to hit civilians while Hez uses premaive weapons and they dont care who they kill.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
well yesterday they hit a military installation with a rocket. Their Military casualties are a lot higher in comparison to Israeli casualties on civilian deaths. 24 Civilians 30 soldiers -vs- 600 civilians 30 lebanese Army and 100 Hizbollah and 500K homeless.

Its just been Gods work that more have not died in Lebanon. Those bombs are capable of much more death. The weapons Hizbollah is using is like comparing a Bottle rocket to a stick of dynamite.

This comes from a page that takes tolls out of all BBC news articles on the subject:

Last updated on August 4, 2006 21:26 EST.

Current Figures:
Israel: 69
UN: 4
Canada: 8
Lebanon: 900

On subject, Hisbollah is firing these rockets in a general direction and don't care much what they hit. The precision stuff they are doing with weapons ment for them. They took out some tanks and troops like that already.

Then, the big problem for me is that Israel is using US Grade precision weapons and manage to go "whoops" with every bombing they do, killing loads and loads of civilians.

[edit on 5/8/06 by thematrix]

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by SenHeathen
Yap they are but at least Israel is using precision weapons and trying NOT to hit civilians while Hez uses premaive weapons and they dont care who they kill.

What he says is true!! They are such peace loving people *wink *wink* *nudge* *Nudge*
They wouldn't hurt civilians ayy *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*
It was an accident right? *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I didnt say they wouldnt hurt em, I just said they wouldnt and TARGET them.

The US is the best at precision bombing and even we have bombs go astry( precision isnt 100%) and even we have bad intel.

top topics

join