It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone else feel stupid for living in America.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Does anyone else feel stupid for living in a country that can allow someone like Bill O'Reilly can have a top rated show? Does America not care that they get there political ideas and info from the same man who used to be the host of Inside Edition? A tabloid television show!! This guy has a better idea of what is in Michael Jacksons trash can than what is actually going on in the world. The sad thing is, people actually trust what he says as Gospel. Granted it is mostly uninformed old people who still trust the news 100%, but still it is severely disturbing. I think O'Reilly knows he is full of it and is just cashing in. Just my opinion but would liek to hear others.

I wish Olberman would kick him right in the balls!

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
No I don't feel stupid for living in America, there is stupidity all around the globe yet it is only reported about America around the globe.

And about Bill Oreilly, I like him sometimes, most of the time I don't.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
No I don't feel stupid for living in America, there is stupidity all around the globe yet it is only reported about America around the globe.

And about Bill Oreilly, I like him sometimes, most of the time I don't.

The Question was more rhetorical in nature, to place emphasis on the fact that we have a Moron with a top rated news show who is nothing more than a conservative puppet with no real political experience. He should stick to reporting where the stars hang out and have drinks. Is anyone else flabbergasted at the fact this man is taken seriously when it come to political influence?

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by kleverone
Is anyone else flabbergasted at the fact this man is taken seriously when it come to political influence?

I suppose you would rather listen to Ben Afleck, The Dixie Chics, Sean Pennhead and any other hollywood star talk about poltics?

I agree though, some people do take Bill way to serious.

Sporty

[edit on 23/7/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I don't feel stupid for living here or for being an American. I am angry that our country is so passive in the face of such arrogant, ignorant and immoral leadership. People are dying on a great scale b/c of the policies set forth by the Bush admin. For reasons other than those official reasons we were told. It's unconscionable. In our name.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB

Originally posted by kleverone
Is anyone else flabbergasted at the fact this man is taken seriously when it come to political influence?

I suppose you would rather listen to Ben Afleck, The Dixie Chics, Sean Pennhead and any other hollywood star talk about poltics?

I agree though, some people do take Bill way to serious.

Sporty

[edit on 23/7/2006 by SportyMB]

Why would you suppose I would rather listen to Ben Affleck, the Dixie Chicks or any Hollywood star? Are those who you believe are the antithesis of O'Reilly? I certainly hope not. I lump O'Reilly in with them as far as political insight goes. I was thinking more along the lines of someone who
a). Has been involed in Politics and,
b). is objective in their views

Neither of which pertain to O'Reilly.
and unfortunetly for us too many people take this guys opinion as Gospel without any prior or latter knowledge on the subject with wich they agree. Therefore I feel stupid for being an American because we (americans) are responsible for keeping this Tabloid journalist on the air!!!!!

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor

I agree. We are in the limelight, but no- why would i feel stupid living here?

I feel priviledged to live in the United States. Just because we have a manic president and things arent going well, doesnt make me stupid. It makes HIM stupid.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 07:23 PM
link   
LOL

I used to watch The Factor. But then I started paying more attention to O'Reilly going off on foreign policy. That's when I realized I couldn't listen to him anymore. He doesn't know his blank from a hole in the ground on matters of war and diplomacy.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Nope. Don't feel stupid at all for living here in the center of the Universe, and holiest of holies that is the United States of America.

So far as Bill O'Rielly is concerned, if you don't like him, don't watch him. Seems a rather simple solution to me. I've listened and watched him for several years now, I sometimes agree, sometimes disagree; he's opinionated and somewhat egocentric, all too true. So he got his start on Inside Edition...everyones got to start somewhere.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
Nope. Don't feel stupid at all for living here in the center of the Universe, and holiest of holies that is the United States of America.

That smiley helps...

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 01:04 PM
link   
DG. I was a bit over the top, but the sentiment is accurate. I really wouldn't live anywhere else in the world, so in that sense America is the center of my universe. I have visited both Canada and Mexico, and there is a lot that I like about both countries (and not just my freinds, either
), but I prefer the US, warts and all...

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Of course not. You think America is the only country in the world where total idiots give the news from a bias thats glaringly obvious?

Try reading some British Newspapers.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I love my country and I rather be here than anywhere else. . . but like many has voiced before me . . . is the stupidity of our political, religious and corporate elite what are making our lives in this country hard.

Still things are better here that in many countries. . .

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 12:34 AM
link   
This is a great country besides its only Bill O'rielly nothing much to be afraid about.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Are You Freakin' Kidding Me?

You gotta love a country where a guy like Bill O'Reilly can do nothing but sit around complaining about things -- and get paid big bucks for it!

My friends, Bill O'Reilly is living the American Dream.

Every moment of my life I pray that somehow, someday, that might be me in a job like that.

I have a dream!

[edit on 7/25/2006 by Majic]

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I feel stupid for being human. I'd deny it if the DNA evidence wasn't squarely against me. Actually I deny it sometimes anyway; by the time I've got my 5 o'clock shadow (around 8:00 AM) I can sometimes pass for an underfed ape, so if there ain't a doctor in the house I just tell people that I'm a super-intelligence next-step in the evolution of gorillas.

People are kind of dopey, no matter what flag they are born under. Actually, I think relatively few of us are born dumb under any flag; I think laziness makes the majority of people dumb somewhere along the way.

I would be slow to call any particular nationality dumber than others until I'd met them all. I'm reasonably familiar with several nationalities, several American subcultures, etc and in my limited experience I've really only found one trend. Motivated people who are at some point presented with an opportunity to educate themselves are much less likely to be dopey.

There is something about being an "outsider" and "disadvantaged" which seems to lend itself to making people willing to go all out when their opportunity presents itself, probably because you can't afford to be lazy in that situation.

I completely neglected my highschool career because it required nothing from me. It didn't cost anything, I could get Cs without doing the homework or studying, and my Cs would get me the same diploma that the A students got. The local community college doesn't really have entry criteria, so no worries about college, and if you can earn an associates degree you will get into a 4 year somewhere, not Harvard, but somewhere.

You can see how such a system would breed laziness.

Now I'm in college. I never miss class, I never miss an assignment, I never get anything but an "A". I'm paying to be there and the quality of my future will be affected by my performance. The funny thing is that I'm still coasting; I would have to double my course load just to break a sweat. If I had any idea how easy it was I might have gone ahead and applied myself in highschool.

So short answer: it's not Americans, it's the lazy. Our school system does reward laziness though.

Oh, and then there's good ol' Bill. I owe thanks to his ilk. Last summer when I was still mining rock for a living I was listening to Rush on the radio when I had the good fortune of operating the crusher rather than a shovel for a change. You know what occurred to me? People are paying money for his wrong opinions, and all of my opinions are right. Why can't I get into that business? That was the beginning of me considering politics as a career... and of course soon wanting to tell people what to think gave way to wanting to tell them what to do and then I decided I'd run for office some day.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I am so sick of the way things are going in America. I want to move out of the country really bad and not support it anymore. Although moving out of the country would be really tough right now for me, I'm doing something very close to it: I'm moving to Hawaii! It's not a different country, but it's not the "Mainland". I'm ready for a little paradise, and a little less of the "rat race".

c ya

[edit on 25-7-2006 by headcheck]

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Here are the STATS, now each can decide on their own.

Now in its tenth year on the air, "The O'Reilly Factor" on the Fox News Channel remains the dominant number one cable news program in the USA. In fact, it has been the highest rated broadcast for more than 200 straight weeks! Blending news analysis with investigative reporting, "The Factor" has gained international prominence as well -- it is now seen in more than 30 countries.

The Radio Factor, a two hour call in program, is heard on more than 400 stations in the United States has become one of the most profitable radio franchises in the nation.

In addition, Bill O'Reilly's three adult non-fiction books (The O'Reilly Factor, The No Spin Zone, and Who's Looking Out for You) have each reached the number one spot on The New York Times best seller list. Also, Mr. O'Reilly's book for children, The O'Reilly Factor for Kids, was the best selling children's non-fiction book of 2005.

Bill O'Reilly has won a bevy of journalism awards including two Emmy's. He began his broadcasting career in Scranton, Pennsylvania and proceeded onto Dallas, Denver, Boston and Portland, Oregon as a local news reporter/anchor.

In 1980, he returned home to New York City for a stint at WCBS-TV before moving to the national news scene reporting for CBS and ABC News. Mr. O'Reilly continued his climb as the anchor of the syndicated program "Inside Edition," before settling in at Fox News in 1996.

Born in Manhattan and raised on Long Island, Bill O'Reilly holds a degree in History from Marist College, a Master's in Broadcast Journalism from Boston University and another Master's Degree in Public Administration from Harvard's Kennedy School of Government.

In his spare time, Bill O'Reilly takes naps.
www.billoreilly.com...

And no, I could never feel stupid for living in the greatest country that has ever existed.

Semper

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I actually watch the Oreilly Factor everynight....I don't even know why. I don't agree with the guy. But he is a great debater. And brings up controversial topics and argues and debates with both sides. He is ignorant, but I still like the show.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 04:43 PM
link   
you go around the world and people say " America has no culture" I would tell the same people that " America's cutlure is to MAKE MONEY! that is what is an american.

[edit on 25-7-2006 by nwomi]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join