It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone else feel stupid for living in America.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
So he got his start on Inside Edition...everyones got to start somewhere.

He belongs on tabloid tv. lol

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
Here are the STATS, now each can decide on their own.

Now in its tenth year on the air, "The O'Reilly Factor" on the Fox News Channel remains the dominant number one cable news program in the USA. In fact, it has been the highest rated broadcast for more than 200 straight weeks! Blending news analysis with investigative reporting, "The Factor" has gained international prominence as well -- it is now seen in more than 30 countries.

The Radio Factor, a two hour call in program, is heard on more than 400 stations in the United States has become one of the most profitable radio franchises in the nation.

In addition, Bill O'Reilly's three adult non-fiction books (The O'Reilly Factor, The No Spin Zone, and Who's Looking Out for You) have each reached the number one spot on The New York Times best seller list. Also, Mr. O'Reilly's book for children, The O'Reilly Factor for Kids, was the best selling children's non-fiction book of 2005.

Bill O'Reilly has won a bevy of journalism awards including two Emmy's. He began his broadcasting career in Scranton, Pennsylvania and proceeded onto Dallas, Denver, Boston and Portland, Oregon as a local news reporter/anchor.

In 1980, he returned home to New York City for a stint at WCBS-TV before moving to the national news scene reporting for CBS and ABC News. Mr. O'Reilly continued his climb as the anchor of the syndicated program "Inside Edition," before settling in at Fox News in 1996.

Born in Manhattan and raised on Long Island, Bill O'Reilly holds a degree in History from Marist College, a Master's in Broadcast Journalism from Boston University and another Master's Degree in Public Administration from Harvard's Kennedy School of Government.

In his spare time, Bill O'Reilly takes naps.
www.billoreilly.com...

And no, I could never feel stupid for living in the greatest country that has ever existed.

Semper

And seeing how Americans seem to prefer frivilous crap for entertainment as opposed to educational, intelligent viewing and reading, O'Reilly's popularity just proves that he is very low brow and low quality.

Of course, this doesn't only apply to Americans. I have found people in any country I have visited seem to be more enthralled with idiotic mindless entertainment than they are quality reading or programing.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
I actually watch the Oreilly Factor everynight....I don't even know why. I don't agree with the guy. But he is a great debater. And brings up controversial topics and argues and debates with both sides. He is ignorant, but I still like the show.

He's notorious for shouting guests down. He would never cut it in real journalism.

It is great, tho, that he has a platform upon which to bloviate. Good for him. That's what's great about this country.

I wouldn't waste a minute of my time watching him, tho (other than to know what he's saying).

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 06:16 PM
link   
...er what he's not saying...

It does crack me up that he takes his opinions on foreign policy seriously. lol

He is so out of his league on matters pertaining to war.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 06:26 PM
link   
It's not so much American nature but an aspect of human nature that is drawn to senseless entertainment void of any quality. It is just that we can promote it better than anyone.

I dunno -- in America we still have freedom of speech and freedom of the press -- and with that it allows the media to be made up of all sorts, like O'Reilly. At least we have the freedom though --

I do wish our biggest export was not Hollywood junk -- we are so much more capable of producing great things.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by functioningnormal
I do wish our biggest export was not Hollywood junk -- we are so much more capable of producing great things.

I know. America has become a huge consumer country, which I guess is okay if you have the money to do that. But I would like to export some more things. I would like to see a list of countries and their exporting.

EDIT: Okay I did...I don't understand this. It says the greatest exporters are EU#1, Germany#2, and US#3, and China#4?

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 25-7-2006 by RetinoidReceptor]

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Oh, I have to admit there have been a couple times I was embarrassed (the results of the November 2003 elections and the recent antics of the POTUS at the G8). (Although I think that my embarrassment for the G8 was more like that of a child watching an alcoholic parent act inappropriately and that the rest of the world felt sorry for us.) Other than that, I've felt privilged to be a United States citizen.

My nation is more than Bill O'Really. It is we the people, all of us, individuals making a group. I feel privileged to vote in every election, fed or st or local. I feel free to speak my mind to anyone. I have had interactions with people from other countries who automatically kept looking around fearfully (as they had done in their country) when we discussed politics.

Just recently, a couple came running up to me where I was vacationing, they didn't know me but just wanted to tell the nearest American that they just had received word that they had been approved for their green cards. They were so happy and excited, and I felt honored to offer my congratulations. They were a financially well off couple from Europe, but I don't think it was only for tax reasons to get their green card--they truly loved America.

Is there room for improvement? Constantly, or get left behind.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I'm proud to be an American! I think we have one great country, and I have no time for people like Natalie Maines, Michael Moore and the rest of the super liberal crowd who follow the mainstream media and blame America first. I even like Bill O'Reilly a little, he is one of the few commentators who doesn't blame America for everything bad that goes on in this world.

Anyone who is truly interested in the truth has to spend time and expend some effort into finding it. If you sit in front of your TV and watch one channel exclusively, regardless if it's CNN, FOX etc you will only get part of the story.

I digress. I know our country's shortcomings, but I will never discuss them in an international forum while we are engaged in a war.

[edit on 25-7-2006 by stanstheman]

[edit on 25-7-2006 by stanstheman]

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 08:09 PM
link   
One wonders if O'reilly is "low" brow enough to use the word "crap" in a debate forum to describe someone being "low" brow?

And seeing how Americans seem to prefer frivilous crap for entertainment as opposed to educational, intelligent viewing and reading, O'Reilly's popularity just proves that he is very low brow and low quality.

Would that be indicative of his educational, intelligent reporting?

Semper

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 08:35 PM
link   
No, I'm not embarrassed to be an American. I have traveled quite literally around the world and have met many people. I'v enjoyed my stays in other countries but I'm always delighted to return home. For me this is the greatest place to live and I whole heartedly love my country.

As far as Bill O'Reilly yes I watch his show as well as many others. Some things I agree on many others I don't. I believe it is important to watch or read many different news sources before forming my opinion. After all when you wrote term papers in school you used many different sources; same principal.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis

Would that be indicative of his educational, intelligent reporting?

Semper

To take him seriously (O'Reilly), one has to be lacking sound judgement and a lot of facts.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 11:52 PM
link   
America needs Bill O'Reilly. How can one not appreciate the good things in life without the bad? People like O'Reilly makes me appreciate the contributions of people like Cronkite even more.

Besides, we got Keith Olbermann backing us up.

Liberals, on the other hand... they don't even allow me to appreciate the good things in life.

[edit on 25-7-2006 by sweatmonicaIdo]

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
America needs Bill O'Reilly. How can one not appreciate the good things in life without the bad?

This is true.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 07:48 PM
link   
You may feel stupid about being an American because Bill O'Reilly is more successful than most, but that says a lot more about you than it does about him. I'd be really curious to hear your idea of a good news analyst.

O'Reilly has audience with Presidents, Senators, Prime Ministers, Cabinet members, and all the rest of the movers and shakers in the world. Obviously he is doing something right.

Not only is he doing something right, but Fox News is once again far and away the leading cable news channel in America, and a lot of that is due to the success of The Factor. His show is broadcast internationally.

This is America. America is about rewarding those who strive to be the best. O'Reilly didn't have a daddy in the broadcasting business; he achieved what he did on his own. You can feel stupid about O'Reilly's success if you want, but there are plenty of other reasons for you to feel stupid, if you use another person as your yardstick for happiness.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Bomber....

Outstanding, well said and timely!!!!

Semper

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Bill O'Really aside, Well, no, wait a minute, i'd say he's a bit rabid...Anyway, how does he fit in with the question of the author of this thread?

I feel really lucky and smart to be living here. It really means a lot coming from someone like me, an immigrant- this means my parents chose to come here because this was the best country (and still is). I dont like the policies at this point in time, but i'm not a the point where i'd pack up and leave either. This IS my country and i hope we can work out our current problems!!

I hope.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Bomber. Well said. Bill O'Reilly to the best of my knowledge lays no claim to being a reporter persay, he takes what he sees and puts his own editorial spin on it. In doing so...how is he different from any of the print editorial writers in say the LA Times, or the Seattle Times, or the NY Times? Oh, I know...you may agree with them, but not with him. That doesn't make anyone who agrees with him stupid, or those who disagree with him smart, or the other way around for that matter...it just means we disagree with each other on certain topics. So what else is news?

Bomber, enjoy your WATS...

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 04:51 PM
link   
AND DG.........

(out of wats)

The wonderful voice of reason in a cacophony of turmoil!!!!

Well said, well done.

Semper

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 12:52 PM
link   
No, I love living in this country. In some countries (north korea, iran) u could be jailed. I would die for this Republic and its citizens any day.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Do I feel stupid for living in America? HELL NO! I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else, sure we may have our ups and down’s but who doesn’t? And sure we may elect people like silly Willy once in a while but that doesn’t matter, America is greater than any single individual, it is represented and stands for so much more. I’m proud to live in this country and to call myself an American, and so should you, if you live in the US that is.

BTW, who doesn’t love Bill? You have to love his, “You’re wrong I’m right about immigration, but here’s what I really want to talk about…” Classic.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join