It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone else feel stupid for living in America.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by kleveroneWhy would you suppose I would rather listen to Ben Affleck, the Dixie Chicks or any Hollywood star?

Because you suppose that because BIll Oreily has a top rated show and that means people listen to what he says, are influenced. But if you want to know the truth, cable news media sucks and the largest demographic that watches cabel news is the elderly.

It is only television.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by kleverone
Does anyone else feel stupid for living in a country that can allow someone like Bill O'Reilly can have a top rated show? Does America not care that they get there political ideas and info from the same man who used to be the host of Inside Edition? A tabloid television show!!

Um, no.
I don't feel the need to burn down the house just because the faucet is leaky.
I am more concerned that some folks feel the need to do just that. Nothing in life is perfect. You might want to learn to live with ambiguity. I have. For instance, I thought people hated the Devil, but they don't. People like him, but James Carvel is the Devil. And yet, I still love my country and am proud to be a part of it. Even if James Carvel is the Devil.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Do I feel stupid for living in American? Well, I can't answer that question directly as I currently live in Canada. I am an American citizen but I married a Canadian woman and I choose to live in Canada. Canada is a good country and, for the most part, represents all that I love about the United States. This being said, I believe that I can answer the question as I would have no hesitation in moving back to the United States and I certainly would not be embarassed about living there. In fact, I would be proud! I would be proud to live in any country the espoused values that protected the rights of the individual.

I would be more embarassed to live in nations like Saudi Arabia or Iran where I would be subject to cruel and unusual punishments; i.e., having my hand cut off if I took something, caning or whipping for the consumption of alcohol, stoning for an adulterous wife. I would be more embarassed and ashamed for living in a country like Mexico that actively promoted to their people the illegal emigration to a neighboring country, that enabled them to work illegally and to become a power base rather than to be a country that actually worked for a better society, socially and economically.

While the United States may be far from perfect, I do recognize that America is a place that one can still be proud of calling home. This does not mean that we don't need to be vigilant. We need to work to protect what we have and to improve things. For all the problems that face the U.S., good things are still a possiblity in that country. It is obvious that places that would truly "embarass" me are in the majority.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   
How can you not love and envy Bill O'Reilly, he is the personification of the American Dream, the local boy who made good.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   
It's not who he is, it is what he says.

What he stands for.

The fact that he is a conservative.

Same reason they hate Bush

Semper

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
One wonders if O'reilly is "low" brow enough to use the word "crap" in a debate forum to describe someone being "low" brow?

Bill O'Reilly has said far worse.

Would that be indicative of his educational, intelligent reporting?
Semper

No, his rabid, thinly veiled right wing views and his annoying habit of shouting guests down on his show is indicitive of his education, training, and motives.

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 12:26 PM
link   
does anyone else realize that klevorone's name also sya kill every one lol. just wandering

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I can't stand O'Rielly but just because some people like the guy doesn't mean that I feel stupid living here. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. If YOU want to move to Cuba or elsewhere because you feel stupid living here ... be my guest. You know where the airport is ... pack up and go. I'm staying put and I'll just 'tough it out' that some folks like the famous idiots that they do (O'Rielly, Dixie Chicks, Jimmy Swaggart, John Kerry, Pat Robertson, .... etc etc and the rest of the extremist idiot nightmares. )

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
Canada is a good country ...

Hey.... ya'll have the Hockey Hall of Fame. THE top cathedral of hockey worship. And Stanley rests on the high altar there. You betchya Canada is a good country!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join