It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worst Ads Ever! (SkepticOverlord's Ad Hitlist)

page: 39
<< 36  37  38    40  41  42 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
reply to post by snowspirit

The ad isn't covering any content.

Most people (over 80%) using that page were clicking on new topics or top-flagged topics, and a very small percentage clicked on the new-hot topics. So we expanded the list on new/flagged topics from 8 to ten, and reduced the hot (most-replied) list to six, and included an ad for two ads on the page.

You mean it isnt covering any content "NOW" that you have removed content to allow space for the add.

If this is going to stick I can see a slippery slope ahead in terms of revenue placement

edit on 13-8-2011 by GhettoRice because: SP

edit on 13-8-2011 by GhettoRice because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Hi there,

I was directed here after the closing of this thread recently.
None of the user's questions on that thread were addressed, so I thought I would try and rephrase my personal query here:

I curious why it is necessary to include ads in the new topics section. Is this just to make use of the constant update feature to automatically load new ads? I can't leave that page open anymore, because every time I am using the internet, my usage lags every few seconds while it loads another gif on that page.
This completely ruins the use of that page for me.
I am aware that other members also commenting on how it ruins the aesthetics, as we now have an ad placed right there in the middle of the screen.

I understand that it is not covering any content, because some content had now just been moved around.
But that isn't really what the people on that thread were concerned about.

For example: If all off topic posts in threads were replaced with ads, that also would not cover any content, but in the end, the site would just be a site with ads everywhere, filling the gaps.

This is an honest question, and not a rant at all. As you can see in the other thread, people were just looking for an explanation. Many Thanks.

edit on 14-8-2011 by dyllels because: spelling

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Looks like that pesky ad space from the Real Time page is gone now.

Thank gawd. No more stupid talking flash ads to interrupt my music.

Just hoping it isn't an illusion.
edit on 8/14/2011 by BeyondPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
THANK YOU for removing that ad on the New Topics page!!! The way it was centered was driving me batty.

spec

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Thank you ATS!! Much appreciated.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Could we please get rid of this little jem?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f75134fd1099.jpg[/atsimg]

I almost had a heart attack because I had my sound way up and all of the sudden some idiot yelling at me "CONGRATULATIONS!!"

Thanks!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Since yesterday i get always a Malware Alarm,
for every Page i open up,
this is disgusting!

Please tell Google (???) they should run clean Adds!

Can you help and fix that?

Kindly Regards from a steamy Tokyo

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I like many users I am sure very rarely use a computer anymore as most access is strictly by phone... with thy being said the ads that are listed over the topics render ate pretty much useless. There is no way to close them and they cover up about 15 or so topics. The latest one is for AT&T verse... is there a way to make them less obtrusive or at least put a close box on them?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Hi, just wanted to say that the full page add that opened in its own browser to aggressively offer me an IPad almost sent me packing.

Love you guys!

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
The end of ads that when you hover they dominate like half the screen and locks you out until one clicks out.

No ads featuring any current local or national politician or annoying surveys.

Add to the list, movie advertisements, tv ads, radio ads, company ads (ex, Papa Johns), Petrolchemical companies.

What should be up there :
Local, small business, smaller town ads, solar-wind--hydra tech firms, car companies, companies of members of ATS, Local schools, tourism agencies!
edit on 29-9-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

There is a dove body wash ad that uses a mouseover/dropdown technique and it is bothering? the ability of me to click links near the top of the page. It seems even when not moused over it prevents my little mouse hand from clicking a link. This is making the site hard to navigate right now. It seems it's badly coded and it's not shrinking properly.

Excuse my non technical description but that should be sufficient to explain the problem.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
OK the ad with "congratulations! you won!" is back.....

Ugh...

I clicked thru and here is where it went:
http ://data.liquidmedianetworks. com /applications/output/devlp. php?v=11&data=
aHR0cDovL2h5cGVydHJhY2tlci5jb20vZ28vcmVkbGluZWluc2lkZXIvWHRlbmRNdWx0aS9AQEN

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
The one that pops up and says I am winner and is hard as hell to get closed is really starting to piss me off.

It is beginning to get to the point it is annoying enough that I am starting to reconsider my visits.
edit on 6-10-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Also, there is one I saw today that was for a game about tanks. Or something. It has audio that you can't turn off and nearly made me throw my laptop out of fright.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
The World of Tanks ad is terrible. It starts playing music and there is no way to mute it w/o muting my whole computer.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by angrymomma

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ I second what "Momma" said. No solution except closing the ATS web pages.
edit on Fri 7 October 2011 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I have to chime in about that ad about that tank game too. It's incredibly annoying. Please get rid of it! Here is the URL in case you need that to ban this ad!

To add, for those above me, you can mute the sound on this ad. There is a little speaker icon in the lower left. The dumb thing though, is that in order for the sound to be muted, in my experience at least, I have to click on the icon three times, which also opens up a new tab three times, then it will let me mute it.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by octotom

MY (just again, three times tonight) annoying experiences with this SAME advert --- (and, I DO NOT normally visit any online gaming sites....):

There is a little speaker icon in the lower left.

In my case, it was in the LOWER RIGHT of the "ad bar".....very faint, difficult to see easily (by intent....DAMN those creeps!!!)

When it appears at the top of the ATS page....you might not see it, but will HEAR THE MUSIC....scroll up, and kill that thing!

DO NOT CLICK on the body of the advertisement...or, if you do accidentally, be sure to go to our browser tools (depending on the browser you are using) and try to delete all cookies, or whatever else you can think of....because, IF you click the ad, then it WILL leave a cookie (I presume) in your browser settings, and you WILL get hit again, by the same ad.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ProudBird

I know! This game ad, here's what you do... when it starts playing (if you are using chrome) right click the picture and select the option that says unload or stop loading or stop downloading... something like that.

it should do it.

that or reload the page... entirely. so to cycle to the next advert.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by thestoploss

Thanks, I'm using Chrome now....will use those tips.

top topics

<< 36  37  38    40  41  42 >>

join