It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS 9/11 Conspiracy Survey Results

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   
AboveTopSecret.com conducted a survey of its members and visitors, asking their opinions of several generalized statements related to the possibility of conspiracies related to the terrorist attacks of 9/11/2001. WIth the largest active conspiracy theory discussion board, and over 40,000 daily visitors, AboveTopSecret.com represents an interesting slice of "Internet opinion". The survey is by no means a scientific study of general opinions related to 9/11 conspiracies, but a few interesting conclusions have emerged.

We asked our members and guests a series of eight questions that progressively advanced from somewhat mild ideas of a 9/11-related conspiracy, to full-fledged deep conspiracies. As of November 1, 2006, 51,790 respondents have completed the survey, with a near equal mix of regular AboveTopSecret.com discussion board members, and unregistered visitors.

Question One: General Conspiracy?

Our first question asked, "Do you believe there are one or more conspiracies related to the events of 9/11/2001?" Three quarters of all respondents indicated they do indeed feel there is some level of conspiracy. The remaining respondents were evenly split between uncertain and believing there are no conspiracies. While at first glance, the large number of respondents believing in conspiracies may seen appropriate for a "conspiracy theory" website, we are somewhat surprised at the relatively small percentage indicating "no". Given the broad reach of AboveTopSecret.com, and the high visibility of some "debunking" members, we expected the "no" response to be higher.

Question Two: What Conspiracy?

Our second question asked, "Do you believe the events of 9/11/2001 where perpetrated solely by extremist terrorists?" While 61% of all respondents indicated "no", the typical response of those who follow conspiracy speculation, 21% indicated "yes". This may seem somewhat at odds with the first question. Typical conspiracy theories regarding the 9/11 attacks involve parties other than the "official story" terrorists showcased in the news media. Our next question might explain the nature of the surprising response to second question.

Question Three: A Mild Scandal or Cover-Up?

Our third question asked, "Do you believe persons within the United States government, or government agencies, are covering up foreknowledge of the terrorist attacks of 9/11/2001?" Among all possible conspiracy theories related to 9/11, this most basic of cover-up theories has been the generally "palatable" for many people, and is reflected in the response. Representing our highest score of all questions, 79% of all respondents feel the specific terrorist attacks were anticipated within the U.S. government. Only 9% of all respondents feel that this cover-up theory is unlikely.

Question Four: A Deeper Conspiracy?

Our fourth question asked, "Do you believe persons within the United States government, or government agencies, played any role in aiding, organizing, training, or equipping the terrorist groups and/or individuals who attacked on 9/11/2001?" As we delve into the possibility of deeper conspiracies, the responses reflect a lesser certainty. A common theme among many deeper conspiracy theories is the possibility that the terrorists or terrorist groups were "sponsored" with the objective of initiating the attacks on 9/11. At 58%, more than half of all respondents feel this is a likely common thread related to 9/11 conspiracy theories. The respondents answering "no" and "not certain" are nearly equally split with 22% and 20% respectively.

Question Five: A Deep Government Plot?

Our fifth question asked, "Do you believe persons within the United States government, or government agencies, had direct involvement in making the attacks of 9/11/2001 appear to have been perpetrated by extremist terrorists?" Continuing to move into deeper and more intense conspiracy territory, the responses indicate a slight decrease in certainty. The idea that covert government groups carried out the attacks of 9/11 and positioned evidence to point to extremist Islamic terrorists is not uncommon in many "conspiracy theory circles". However, it represents attributes of the more extreme conspiracy speculations. A smaller slice of respondents indicated "not certain", and the "no" responses increased to 26%. However, the majority believe this may be true as 56% responded "yes" to this concept.

Question Six: The Unthinkable?

Our sixth question asked, "Do you believe persons within the United States government, or government agencies, organized a controlled demolition of the World Trade Center buildings (including WTC7) in concert with the passenger airline collisions?" Because of the nature of the collapse of the World Trade Center towers, a popular theory among the most intense conspiracies involves the possibility of a pre-planned controlled demolition of the World Trade Center towers. While this theory is supported by an amazing number of websites with a staggering degree of detail, exactly half of all respondents agree with this extreme theory.

Question Seven: Deep Conspiracies and Deep Deception?

Our seventh question asked, "Do you believe persons within the United States government, or government agencies, organized a missile strike on the Pentagon and fabricated evidence to make it appear as though a 757 struck the building?" The responses to this question surprised us more than any other. Perhaps the most visible, most discussed, and most examined conspiracy theory surrounding 9/11 is the concept that a cruise missile (or other munition) caused the damage at the Pentagon. However, the responses to this question represents a startling statistical dead heat, with no conclusive answer.

Question Eight: Is The Conspiracy Still Under Way?

Our eighth and final question asked, "Do you believe persons within the United States government, or government agencies, are planning future events designed to appear as terrorist attacks?" The most popular reoccurring idea among all conspiracy theories related to 9/11, from mild to extreme, is that the events support the need for a war economy, culture of government secrecy, and the rise of the "police state" in response to the "war on terrorism". An extension of these theories is the need for a continued enemy in the form of terrorism and future staged terrorist threats or attacks. More than half of all respondents agree while only 21% disagree with the idea that orchestrated terrorist events will occur in the future.

Preliminary Conclusions

While these questions represent only general ideas and are asked of visitors to a conspiracy theory website, we can safely conclude the following statement:
"A majority of the survey respondents believe in a moderate degree of conspiratorial complicity from cover-up to direct involvement by factions within the United States Government, or government agencies, in the terrorist attacks of 9/11."

Certainly, such a statement is not a surprise. However, on the surface many of the more popular discussion threads on AboveTopSecret.com appear to involve a more balanced outlook, or in some cases, a degree of "conspiracy debunking". While the tone of some discussions may seem as though deep conspiracies are not generally supported, it's clear that this survey indicates a deep belief in a serious conspiracy by the members and visitors of AboveTopSecret.com.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
9/11: A Boeing 757 Struck the Pentagon
Proof that the pentagon didn't get hit by a boeing 757
To the ADMIN

[edit on 1-11-2006 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   
After watching michael moore's movie it changed my view. Maybe a survey to see the number of people that watched Fahrenheit 9/11?

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   
why drag the most devistating dellima we have ever experienced to the forum's of a place such as this? Give respect's to the ones that lost thier family member's . The only thing I can see this "Survey" doing is rekindling the time that there are so many American's wish to forget. "No 'Sypathy guy's?' "

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Allred, get a grip on yourself. Obviously you are not ready to accept that 9/11 may have been an inside job, as most of us on ATS have already come to accept, as the graphs indicate.

But yeah, I was kinda expecting more in the 'yes' columns, but I suppose this was open to non-members as well.

But I've got to say, 37% going for a missile strike on the Pentagon surprised me. A lot of people must believe that. I'll make a point of looking into it farther.

[edit on 8/7/2006 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Allred5923
why drag the most devistating dellima we have ever experienced to the forum's of a place such as this? Give respect's to the ones that lost thier family member's . The only thing I can see this "Survey" doing is rekindling the time that there are so many American's wish to forget. "No 'Sypathy guy's?' "

come on now, are you being sarcastic? If you are then ok, if not then start yelling at the government who brings it up weekly. never forget right?

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Well, I must say, that this would be what I would consider an accurate assessment of the general way of things in the World today, but I do not know what end this Poll can be used for.

It seemingly resembles a Majority, but of those "Not Certain" responses, where the reply to other questions a difinate Yes or No.

Are you able to calculated that out?

I had to answer Uncertain in respects to the Question Seven, which does appear to be a evenly split response from the Poll. I imagine they could have, but I am still not pushed over to conclude it was not a plane. There was "some' wreckage, I still question, although admittedly, very little wreckage.

My personal view is there is a Simple Scam being run to ready the utopian NWO and is being used GLOBALLY to condition us for the next step, which is nearing the last part of the Dance. This Song is nearly over people.

We have North Korea, Iran, Iraq, Oil, Food Concerns, Terrorism, Global Warming, and on and on and on.

95% of the individual and seemingly unique and diverse "Sections" within ATS are all interelated with eachother. As are a great many of the Individual Posts covering a vast amount of sectional topics. But it is all one conditioning ruse.

I am listening now, to my favour Conspiracy Show, A View from Space on the Air at the following.

www.640toronto.com...
Hit the Listen Live. It runs Saturdays from 9PM to 1 AM.

It echos this interationship aspect, and brings together so many of the split ends.

But I am very glad to have ATS as an outlet to voice truth, apposed to what we get spoon fed from the MSM at all levels. You are doing an excellent job, and I trust you will remain to do so, while we still have this limited right of expressing thought freely.

Everyone, have a good evening, and keep the info coming.

Ciao

Shane

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Allred5923

If the United States government had a hand in 9/11 the most respectful thing to do for the family members of 9/11 victims would be to reveal the truth. And if in fact the government did perpetrate this new Pearl Harbor don't you think they would be one of the main parties hoping that people would "wish to forget?"

Have you even looked at any of the evidence?

If not I suggest you start here.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 09:20 PM
link   
When politics and governance are being manipulated to the hilt, it really doesn't matter what we think or how we vote.

If that is the case, and this poll doesn't matter--at all0--both because the majority of citizens are teevee-media addicts and those who do know, have their vote changed ...
then we're facing a conflict that is quite a bit larger than perhaps we planned on.

Then, what?

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Ah I assumed that link was to WCIP's old thread, not an actual ATS survey. I just filled it in then.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Considering that ATS is a conspiracy based site, those numbers were very surprising. I actually expecter the YES votes to have a larger margin than they did. the NO votes and UNDECIDED votes were a larger percentage than I thought they would be. I'd be kind of interested in what the percentages would be on a site such as Yahoo or Google.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Is hard to break a belive system and is olso hard to make people face the truth as it is. For some of the voters (NO) is my guess that are to terrified to accept the idea that thier own Government is capable of such atrocity as 9/11. So guys I would say that the percentage who votet YES is good enough. To me votting YES means to go against everything, electronic media, writen media, government, government agencies... in other words agains the whole system and this is not to little. I think people around US and abroad are waking up and that is the best news ever.
Facing the truth is half of the battle... then comes fighting the battle.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Only 1,650 took the poll?

I don't know how much I like it that "unregistered visitors" can also vote. Seems like that could be a doorway to some voting fraud. I could be completely wrong though.

[edit on 8-7-2006 by zerotime]

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
But I've got to say, 37% going for a missile strike on the Pentagon surprised me. A lot of people must believe that.

Not compared to the other results. Wasn't that the conspiracy aspect that the least of us agreed with (besides the 'solely by Islamics' thing anyway)?

I find it interesting that a theory that 50% of voters agreed with (outweighing each other the other two choices by double) is still called "extreme".

[edit on 8-7-2006 by bsbray11]

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I was one of the people that was undecided on the pentagon, the most compelling evidence and/or claims are:

-a deep hole in a reinforced concrete building, unlikely to be created by a passenger plane which is essentially a pop-can.
-Witness testimonies that claim they heard a missile, not an aircraft, these witnesses likely witnessed many planes fly by over their heads in and around major airports so they should know.
-If you believe Loose Change's claims, a A-3 Sky Warrior was used with a missile like a Maverick or some type of cruise missile, possibly flown by global hawk UAV technology, some evidence points toward the A-3 (according to LC 9/11) in the form of debris that alledgedly matched the A-3.

In my book there is still too little evidence either way, the official story is just as crazy as the conspiracy theories.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 11:09 PM
link   
While we may never know with absolute certainty what happened on 9/11, the mere existence of this site and 9/11 forums dictate that a large number of people do not believe the official story. To what degree do people on this site believe they are being misled? That's the question that this survey helps to answer.

It never claimed to be a scientific survey. With that being said, I believe that it did what it was intended to do and results are fascinating.

To those who put together the survey, tabulated the results, and posted them here - Thanks. Great job!

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
Allred, get a grip on yourself. Obviously you are not ready to accept that 9/11 may have been an inside job, as most of us on ATS have already come to accept, as the graphs indicate.

But yeah, I was kinda expecting more in the 'yes' columns, but I suppose this was open to non-members as well.

But I've got to say, 37% going for a missile strike on the Pentagon surprised me. A lot of people must believe that. I'll make a point of looking into it farther.

[edit on 8/7/2006 by watch_the_rocks]

That 37 percent might be miscalculated because the question was not completely on its own. If there had been a question "Do you think the American Government was behind the pentagon attack with a missle" instead of adding airliners as a cover for the towers as well.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Wow that surprising. How get more people to do a survey like this. We can ask the New York Times
, but joking aside we more people to do a survey like this we need what people really think.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by wellwhatnow
While we may never know with absolute certainty what happened on 9/11, the mere existence of this site and 9/11 forums dictate that a large number of people do not believe the official story. To what degree do people on this site believe they are being misled? That's the question that this survey helps to answer.

GREAT point! That question is one of the main reasons ATS exists...

Originally posted by wellwhatnowIt never claimed to be a scientific survey. With that being said, I believe that it did what it was intended to do and results are fascinating.

I do too, these results are very surprising to me in a very GOOD way. What I see here is some serious Critical Thinking going on by both our Members AND our unregistered Guests, who, by the way are ALWAYS WELCOME.

Originally posted by wellwhatnow
To those who put together the survey, tabulated the results, and posted them here - Thanks. Great job!

You're certainly welcome but I have to say this idea was the mind spawn of one of our newer Members, "pmexplorer" and to that Member the thanks should go.

Springer...

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Yeah I have to agree with JimC here, since this is a conspiracy site naturally most of the people do not believe the official story and the poll represents that, but I didn't know that it was open to non members as well. Oh and Chinawhite I recommend watching Fahrenhype 9/11, its a good program to watch after you have seen Fahrenheit 9/11.

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by chinawhite
After watching michael moore's movie it changed my view. Maybe a survey to see the number of people that watched Fahrenheit 9/11?

REPLY: 95% of Moore's crap has been debunked. If you or anyone has an "open mind", you should at least see "Farenhype 9-11" so as to better make an informed decision.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join