It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI Agents Arrest At Least 5 Suspected Terrorists in Miami

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Breaking News out of Miami claims that the FBI has broken up an alleged ring of terrorists that may have intended to blow up the Sears Tower and an Office of the FBI in Miami. Early reports state that at least five have been arrested while others claim that subsequent arrests have netted a total of 5 from Miami, 1 in Atlanta and possibly 1 in Texas. Agents of the FBI have stated there is no imminent threat at this time since they allege they broke up the ring before they could put there plan into effect.

news.yahoo.com
Seven people were arrested Thursday in connection with the early stages of a plot to attack Chicago's Sears Tower and other buildings in the U.S., a federal law enforcement official said.

The official told The Associated Press the alleged plotters were mainly Americans with no apparent ties to al-Qaida or other foreign terrorist organizations. He spoke on condition of anonymity so as not to pre-empt news conferences planned for Friday in Washington and Miami.

Miami U.S. Attorney R. Alexander Acosta said in a statement that the investigation was an ongoing operation and that more details would be released Friday. Local media reported that agents were raiding a warehouse in Miami's Liberty City section.

"There is no imminent threat to Miami or any other area because of these operations," said Richard Kolko, an FBI spokesman in Washington. He declined further comment.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a breaking story and very few details are available at this time so there is not much I can add other then it is nice to see the FBI caught them prior to putting their plan into effect.

It should be noted these are not suspected members of Al qaeda, they are allegedly home grown terrorists which makes my concern even greater.

[edit on 6/22/2006 by shots]

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 08:46 PM
link   

The official told The Associated Press the alleged plotters were mainly Americans with no apparent ties to al-Qaida or other foreign terrorist organizations.

I find this part to be most interesting.

Its finally happened. Terrorists in our own country, american citizens. Something is definately up. Im going to look more into this. Thanks for posting it up shots.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 08:51 PM
link   
It was in the early stages, yet its been an ongoing investigation? so lets get this straight.

American Citizens were in the early stages of planning an attack on the sears towers. They have no terrorist links, and there is no threat to anything right now. This was all found out in an ongoing investigation.

How long does it take to be in the early stages of planning? Something to me sounds off...mostly 7 american citizens, 1 in texas and one in atlanta all working together, no terrorist links, to attack the sears towers.

[edit on 22-6-2006 by grimreaper797]

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Not much stranger than US citizens from Arizona and Michigan plotting to blow up the Federal Murrah Building in OKC.

A lot of nascent revolutions have sought to destabilize by random violence.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
How long does it take to be in the early stages of planning? Something to me sounds off...mostly 7 american citizens, 1 in texas and one in atlanta all working together, no terrorist links, to attack the sears towers.
[edit on 22-6-2006 by grimreaper797]

Other news stories are breaking now with other details and it is not certain that al qeda is or was not involved. All they are stating is they do not believe they are invovled at this time. Apprently the FBI or other agency managed to infiltrate the group in the planing stages which made this possible before they could act.

What I find odd is this did not break yesterday when they made the first arrests, allegedly they started to arrest people yesterday. Perhaps they kept a lid on it so it would not alert others and give them time to get away.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   

It was in the early stages, yet its been an ongoing investigation? so lets get this straight.

American Citizens were in the early stages of planning an attack on the sears towers. They have no terrorist links, and there is no threat to anything right now. This was all found out in an ongoing investigation.

Early stages of planning, but an ongoing investigation. Why is that hard to understand?

We've had this discussion before. If I remember, you maintained that we have to wait until they strike before we can take action.

I disagreed then, and I disagree now.

The fact that they are American citizens is troubling. The fact that we busted them is heartening.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
What I find odd is this did not break yesterday when they made the first arrests, allegedly they started to arrest people yesterday. Perhaps they kept a lid on it so it would not alert others and give them time to get away.

Watch the news tomorrow; that's when they have their news release scheduled.

You can't blame them for getting all their ducks in line before they talk, given so many that are so bent on defending the suspects.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 09:15 PM
link   
There's a WOT thread on this story, with a couple of links with further information:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
The fact that they are American citizens is troubling. The fact that we busted them is heartening.

Just for clarity; at this time it is not certain that all are American citizens. One report said one illegal was involved and another stated a man from Haiti was also involved, perhaps he was the illegal of that I am not sure. This just broke an hour ago perhaps a few minutes longer and details are just emerging at this time.

The Director of the FBI allegedly is going to discuss this in detail at a news conference tomorrow morning at what time I do not know.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Early stages of planning, but an ongoing investigation. Why is that hard to understand?

how ongoing could it be if its still only in the early stages of planning? So ongoing that they know that these people were definately going to attack the sears tower?

We've had this discussion before. If I remember, you maintained that we have to wait until they strike before we can take action.

not until its done and over, but until the physical action of it starts. Once its out of planning and they start setting it up. Then is the time to act. When they are putting bombs in the car or getting ready to do it, thats the time to act.

But anyway, if they can prove it by legal means. No warrantless wiretapping or anything to that extent. Giving them all the rights any normal citizen would have, then I will say get them. Saying, they are in the early stage of planning to me sounds like nothing more then thought up, no physical evidence that could be held up without the patriot act and other "terrorist" laws.

I disagreed then, and I disagree now.

I have no problem with that.

The fact they are americans is troubling, but the fact we busted them so early could spell bad news in court for the FBI. But then again they are terrorist, whos to say they will even get a trial?

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   

given so many that are so bent on defending the suspects.

you say that like its a bad thing.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 09:43 PM
link   
wearing turbans, speaking about allah, trying to recruit young people. Obviously a failed false flag operation if they were in fact americans. If they were successful I wonder what would have happened and who would have been blamed.

Sounds like a freekin scene from Showtimes "Sleeper Cell"

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   
FOX news is now stating that 6 of those arrested allegedly had taken oaths of allegiance to al qaeda, so there may or may not be ties???

There are also claims they had hoped to topple the US government by blowing up the Sears Tower and that is alleged but not confimed by reporters.

[edit on 6/22/2006 by shots]

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   

how ongoing could it be if its still only in the early stages of planning? So ongoing that they know that these people were definately going to attack the sears tower?

I'm so thankful that this is not the mindset of our intelligence community. If they acted that way, they would be like journalists; reporting news instead of making news.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 10:06 PM
link   

I'm so thankful that this is not the mindset of our intelligence community. If they acted that way, they would be like journalists; reporting news instead of making news.

whats so hard to understand about physical action? I have a tense feeling about "thought police" when being arrest for "planning" comes to mind. Hey I could by a story writter and want to do something where the white house gets attacked. I do about 20 minutes of research, could I be arrested for "planning" to attack the white house?

Wouldn't even get to state my case if they didn't want me to, thanks to the patriot act. They have "reasonable" evidence to show I looked into attacking the white house. Now maybe if the story was taking say, a real life story that might open the publics eyes, they might have every reason to not want me to write the story.

Your "intelligence community" I believe will look out for number one before you. So thats why, I dont trust them. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. That rings a bell when I start giving them the right to arrest on thoughts of doing something, before you actually even physically do anything.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I am inclined to believe they are homegrown (timothy McViegh type) guys rather than Al Quaeda types.

We have our own nutjobs in this country without having to import or align them with the big bad guys overseas.

Now they may want to say they were working with Osama to make themselves out to be big but it sounds instead (unless you watch fox) that they are local idiots trying to make a statement. Almost more scary than Osama if you ask me.

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 02:50 AM
link   
well here is an informative article from the bbc -

news.bbc.co.uk...

so, no equipment or weapons were found and no links to terrorists other than the fbi man posing as al-qaeda.

the comments of the neighbours are very interesting but it makes you wonder why they stayed silent about what was happening until the media showed up.

does this remind anybody of fight club btw?

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Someone had just mentioned to me the day before yesterday, that a man named Silverman had purchased the WTC buildings shortly before they were "attacked".
He also said that Silverman had recently purchased the Sears Tower...

Can anybody offer any links to these statements? It would be quite a coincidence...

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 03:45 AM
link   
It's funny how the reporters never came out and said the word that "shalt not be spoken" Muslim's

Yea, they were American citizens but it's funny how no names were mentioned or pictures of the accused. Only that they...

1."They spoke with like an accent, sort of a Jamaican accent."
2."would cover their faces. Sometimes they would wear things on their heads, like turbans."
3."They said they had given their lives to Allah."

apnews.myway.com...

Spin that news boys anyway you like it!!

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I wonder if any of neighboors once ever contacted the police for suspicious activity...Especially in these times of constant threat

www.cnn.com...

"All you could do was just see their eyes. They had their whole head wrapped up. Just the eyes showing. And they were standing guard -- one here, one there -- like soldiers. Very quiet," one woman said.

A man said the men never spoke to neighbors and would just nod their heads if spoken to.

"They was acting like they was in military training," he said.

And they were standing guard -- one here, one there -- like soldiers. Very quietThey was acting like they was in military training

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join