It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Over FIFTY earthquakes in the last several hours in Alaska and still counting

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Yeah we have clusters like this in Cali once in awhile. Not usualy as big, but then they usualy are bigger in Alaska anyway.

Nothing to worry about IMO, they will stop soon...

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 01:55 AM
link   
WOW!!!! Great post...I know a lil bit about earthquakes having lived through several small ones and the big one in 89 in Cali.

The poster above who was talking about lots of lil ones usually being a good thing is dead on....usually....in 89 we had a few light shimmers minutes before everything really started shaking...no build up like this. However we now that the pacific rim is rock full of tension and thier were the volcanoes up north going off that got caught by the ISS(MSN has them up if you want to look www.msn.com)

This is defintally interesting and falls way outside my perview on earthquakes..however...while it scary to think about yosemite going i dont really think that thats what this and even if it is it wont really matter to most of here in the states cause we'd be dead if it did go...so yeah....but I am no expert and this is all my lamen opinion.

I do know though that deep quakes are generally signs of plate movement at the top....rocks shifting and such....be interesting to see if there was any corrosponding vocanic activity on the sea floor or in nearby active Volcanoe's.

d1k

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elsenorpompom
be interesting to see if there was any corrosponding vocanic activity on the sea floor or in nearby active Volcanoe's.

www.avo.alaska.edu...

We have Augustine ( www.avo.alaska.edu... ) at color code YELLOW but that is not near these quakes.

Theres Veniaminof ( www.avo.alaska.edu... ) which is also at code YELLOW and is a little closer but again not really near these quakes.

We are at 18 now with the latest being a 5.6.

[edit on 14-6-2006 by d1k]

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 02:00 AM
link   
ok now its getting worse there was a lul and now 3 bigger ones in a row, the count is 20 quakes 4 over 4.0, 1 over 5.0, and 2 over 6.0 not cool.... not cool....

[edit on 14-6-2006 by ProjectChaos]

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 02:03 AM
link   
yea, i'm watching the updates too it doesnt seem to be stopping like you would think that it would

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I just talked to my buddy from Alaska and we are both not experts just two College kids and we both agree this is odd....

Thanks agin for posting this...i was gonna watch the daily show but youve got my undevided attention

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Doesnt matter if Augistine is close relatively...it matters if they are on the same fault lines....mmm went to the link site but they didnt ahve a map showing the fault line that augistine is on....I dont think we would be able to get that information unless it actually blew and they were able to study how and where the magma came from....with deep soil movement it isn't illogical to assume(i knwo that its bad) that its possible that magma vents are opening or that pockets of superheated compressed gasses are forcing up causing deep intense rumbles and smaller less intense shakes higher up. Just a thuoght.

[edit on 14-6-2006 by Elsenorpompom]

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Someone should enter the Long/Lat of the earthquakes into google earth and see if the earthquakes are in one place or if they are travelling along the fault line.
If they are following the fault line, what direction are they travelling? Could little earthquakes rupture down the whole fault line to california?

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 02:13 AM
link   
This is the site I usually use, and they have a link somewhere with a plate boundary map.

www.iris.washington.edu...

link   
good idea im on it be back as soon as i can with info

link   
its funny you get all the crazy predictions of horrible things happening almost every other day for the last month, and no one picked today, figures? I assume its to late for me to be a prophet of the June 14th earthquakes?

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 02:15 AM
link   
lol i hear you man this is rediculous..

d1k

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Here's a webcame for Augustine

www.avo.alaska.edu...

And one for Veniaminof

www.avo.alaska.edu...

They also have a cam for Spur..this is another Volcano?

A 19th quake has just happened at 3.8 5km deep.

These clusters that happen, what is the most that have ever occurred?

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 02:20 AM
link   
jeez lets all count along now, 19 quakes at least the latest one is smaller, might finally be able to get some sleep.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 02:21 AM
link   
(20 miles) WSW of Kiska Volcano, Alaska this is the source of the action i would guess

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 02:25 AM
link   
ive plotted a few of these already and it looks like they are goping to be mostly in the ring of fire.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 02:27 AM
link   
The closest to experts you are going to get here on ATS, (if that is what you call them
), can be found with the Caldera thread.

Sounds a bit more than "clusters" to me, a record of activity would be good to look over. See how these current quakes compare to previous Alaskan historical events.

d1k

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
Sounds a bit more than "clusters" to me

Since I do not live in a EQ prone area I would like to know how many is normal for a cluster and how other clusters compare to this one.

I'm looking up clusters and Alaskas history with clusters now.

We just hit 20, a 3.4 at 10km deep.

Make that 21, latest is a 4.0 at 1km deep.

No make that 22, a 3.1 at 10km deep.

Wow, they just added 2 more

We're now at 24.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 02:41 AM
link   
wonder if a volcanic eruption is causing this and we are just seeing the earthquake portion of it

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 02:45 AM
link   
This is really interesting. I always watch the USGS site. I counted now 23 in Alaska, that is really weird.

24 when I was trying to post this message.

[edit on 14/6/2006 by rai76]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join