It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

mouse freezes up!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 04:28 AM
link   
I can be working on or off-line and my mouse will freeze up on the screen. it is an optical mouse and the light stays on, but it will not move. If I restart it will begin working again. Sometimes I can work for an hour or two, and sometimes it just takes a few minutes before it does it. I tried a system restore to before the problem began and it did not fix it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. This is very annoying. I am running XP.

[edit on 13-6-2006 by mo_trot]

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 04:30 AM
link   
try downloading drivers for your mouse?

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Is it your mouse that freezes up or your computer? Can you still work on the computer using the keyboard or not? If everything works fine except for the mouse you might want to check for updates on the mouse drivers as Lysergic suggested.

If that doesn't solve it there may be a problem with the mouse's cable or mechanics, but I doubt this because then it won't work from square one. (Actually this goes for the driver theory as well...)

Another problem can be that some process running in the background (like a virus) takes control over the mouse port. Make sure your PC is virus and spyware free.

If it is the whole PC that freezes, it may be one of a thousand reasons.

The first suspect is RAM (memory) problems if it occurs "randomly". If it is your computer that freezes, and not the mouse, we'll need to do some more troubleshooting. At what stage does the computer freeze up? When you are running a cpu or memory hungry program or process? Or does it happen random - even when you're doing nothing? Also you may want to post your PC's specs so we have an idea what we're working with?

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Is this a cordless optical mouse. Mine is and I had the same problem a couple times.

If it is a cordless mouse, change the batteries.

If not, sorry. I can't be of more help.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I agree with 2x above posts
you need to establish wether the MOUSE stops
or the COMPUTER stops responding.

IE, cntrl alt delete when it happens.
If the mouse has stalled, the task manager box will appeaer
if NOTHING appears, the PC has frozen not hte mouse.

IF it was a driver, or a mouse issue,
Id imagine the mouse would never work.

IE, when u turn the pc on, the mouse wont move.
If it moves, u can click and scroll, then ultimately evreything between the PC and the MOUSE is fine.

what sort of mouse is it ?
some really supder dooper special one with a million buttons and something unique?

or is it a plain as day 2-3 button clicker?
In all my IT days, ive never seen a mouse, that works fine..
then just stops, until you reboot.

10 out of 10 times, its the computer , wether some software starts in the background UNRELATED to the mouse, wethre it heats up n stalls, or weather your so ridden with viruses who knows.

check it out more then holla back

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 01:17 AM
link   
If its cordless, then try replacing the batteries.
Also the sensor on the bottom might be dirty.
Dont think its drivers cause its been working.
If its not cordless and is a ball mouse, then try
cleaning out the ball housing with some alcohole.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Funny, I was having the exact same problem for the past few days!

I'm no computer expert by any means, but when my mouse did this (also an optical mouse? It has a red light on the bottom as opposed to the ball) of and on for several days. I just unplugged it and plugged it back in, and it would work fine. Hasn't happened since, and I have no idea why it worked, but it's worth a try.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by mo_trot

...This is very annoying. I am running XP.

[edit on 13-6-2006 by mo_trot]

I would advise to buy a Macintosh running system for the future

new topics

top topics

join