It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Third Electrical Current

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 09:35 PM
link   

A US Patent has been awarded to John Timothy Sullivan for the Sully Direct Current, which is not AC nor DC. Discovered as part of new a electrolysis technique.
BALTIMORE, MARYLAND, USA -- Clear Energy, Inc., a small R&D company in Baltimore, has been issued US Patent number 7,041,203 for a new electrical current.

More at source

Homepage:
www.sullydc.com...

Patent:
patft.uspto.gov...

I've looked at it, but don't really see any advantage over square wave AC. I hope someone here can explain it better.

[edit on 12-6-2006 by Malichai]

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 06:07 AM
link   
That's still DC, pulsed DC, but still, polarity doesn't change, all that changes is the direction of the current in the wires, reversing the wires' magnetic fields. i can't believe he got a patent for that, but perhaps i'm just a bit dense.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 11:24 AM
link   
On every function generator I've ever seen, there is a button for 'square wave pulse'. If you press that, you get exactly the same thing that this guy 'discovered'.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I think this means that the US Patent office needs more engineers and scientists and fewer clerks.

Somebody tried to tell me that you can't patent something that doesn't work. Oy...

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I dont understand why its special either but I think I am missing something.

AC - Goes up and down over time.
DC - Goes up and down but stays in the positive always.
SDC - Goes up and down stays in the positive always and reverses polarity.

Pretty sure that SDC is not something new, because you can generate that
type of push pull. but whatever, Im no engineer.

I guess he is saying that its good for hydrogen production.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by imbalanced

nah, polarity stays the same, one wire is always + the other - . he's just swapping batteries from time to time, that's all.

Heck, can i get replacement batteries patented? would yield tons of royalties, wouldn't it ?

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I had an attempt to go through the patent process. It's insane. Basicly, yes you can patent all kinds of things even if everyone knows about them. You have to apply within exceptionally strict guidelines, and if you get it it is still almost impossible to have any control over your stuff as there are so many restrictions in place and there's time-limits too. There also is no such thing as a world patent - so anyone in some country where your country (that you applied in) laws aren't recognised can copy your patent. I think you have to pay for all this too - if there is a world patent then it costs a fortune.

When I say attempt I mean I read through the enourmous amount of writings on it, had a look at the website too and at other people's examples, then when I saw the part about my not being able to sell or use my patent (if I even got one) for about 10 years I just threw it all away. Recycled.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   
This sounds like the revolutionary, paradigm-shifting breakthrough we've been looking for to free ourselves from dependence on foreign energy suppliers.
Where do I send my check?

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by imbalanced

Pretty sure that SDC is not something new, because you can generate that
type of push pull. but whatever, Im no engineer.

I guess he is saying that its good for hydrogen production.

In a typical circuit this would be no different than DC.

It is NOT like square wave AC.

In electrolyzers it allows the electro-magnetic effects of AC within the electrodes, but the current flow through the electrolyte does not change directions, nor does the polarity of the electrodes.

AC effects where only DC can be used.

[edit on 13-6-2006 by Malichai]

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
I think this means that the US Patent office needs more engineers and scientists and fewer clerks.

No. They need more public participation in an open and transparant vetting process. They are testing such a process with IBMs patents now(they volunteered). If it works, then they(USPTO) could save a lot of dough by relying more on expert volunteers and such.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne
On every function generator I've ever seen, there is a button for 'square wave pulse'. If you press that, you get exactly the same thing that this guy 'discovered'.

Nicely put! Also, I can create almost any shape of signal with my additive synthesizer. The premise of this "invention" is ridiculous, just as the whole idea of getting "free energy" out of water.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Howdy folks...

What this guy is doing is nothing, what he's basically got is a low quaility DC to AC power inverter...

www.absak.com...

You can buy them too...

So it's not a new type of current...

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne

Nicely put! Also, I can create almost any shape of signal with my additive synthesizer. The premise of this "invention" is ridiculous, just as the whole idea of getting "free energy" out of water.

The current does not change direction through the circuit.

But it does create AC electro-magnetic effects within the electrode.

Can you do that with any of your equipment.

I earned by BSEE almost 20 years ago, and have forgotten far more than I remember, and because of what I had learned it did not make any sense to me either.

At first I thought it was square wave AC, but thats not true because the direction of current through the circuit is continuous, and one way only.

It is new and unique, but I think that calling it an 'electrical current' independent of AC and DC is not proper.

It is a new form of electrode that allows EM effects in systems that require DC current.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jedi_Master
Howdy folks...

What this guy is doing is nothing, what he's basically got is a low quaility DC to AC power inverter...

www.absak.com...

You can buy them too...

So it's not a new type of current...

It is not like an inverter.

Current flows through the circuit in one direction like DC, and current is steady, like in DC.

But because the current does change direction within the electrode it allows AC electro-magnetic effects.

AC effects where only DC can be used.

It is DC current with a switched electrode.

The switching is from negative to negative and positive to positive, but the current does change direction, but ONLY WITHIN THE ELECTRODE.

But I do think calling this a new Electrical Current to be compared with AC and DC is stretching it a bit.

From Original Article:

One limiting factor in efficient creation of hydrogen in electrolysis is the attraction created between Hydrogen and Oxygen gas bubbles to electrodes. "They stick like tiny magnets, increasing resistance of electrodes," thus reducing gas production.

As the SDC current changes direction within an inductive coil, the directions of the magnetic fields reverse creating multidirectional forces on the electrodes and ions. A tuned resonator circuit can create vibrations on the electrodes; this action shakes the electrodes and significantly increases the release of the hydrogen bubbles resulting in more efficient production of pure Hydrogen and Oxygen.

It would not be feasible to use AC to create this mechanical action; the gases would mix as polarities are swapped creating an unstable mixed gas.

It a typical circuit this system is no different than continuous DC, but it allows you to do things you can't do with DC.

[edit on 13-6-2006 by Malichai]

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but the circuit he drew and the way it is switched is indeed a low quaility DC to AC inverter...

Look at it again it switches from positive to negative, then from negative to positive...

That's what AC is isn't it ??

In the drawing...

www.sullydc.com...

SW1 ( + ) is closed as is SW2 ( - ) the current flows from SW1 to SW2 ( as measured by the meter ), so how does it flow negative to negative, and then from positive to positive ??

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 07:06 PM
link   

I'm sorry, but the circuit he drew and the way it is switched is indeed a low quaility DC to AC inverter...

Look at it again it switches from positive to negative, then from negative to positive...

That's what AC is isn't it ??

In the drawing...

www.sullydc.com...

SW1 ( + ) is closed as is SW2 ( - ) the current flows from SW1 to SW2 ( as measured by the meter ), so how does it flow negative to negative, and then from positive to positive ??

You are mistaken.

Look again.

Current flows in one direction.

It switches from positive to positive, and negative to negative.

There are two poles for each electrode, and both of the poles are the same polarity.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Oh come on, it's a normal alternating current (in the wires connecting the cells) created by manipulating the switches. Inside the cells, it's just a pulsed current. Any claim of invention is bogus.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Sctatches head...

Hmmm...

Yes there are two poles for each electrode, and both of the poles are the same polarity, but in the diagram SW1 (+) is closed as is SW2 (-) so current is only flowing from SW1 (+) to SW2 (-) via the electrolite ( what ever that may be ) and the volt meter...

I don't see it switching from positive to positive ( it can't, has to go positive to negative )...

Now if you're conserned with the reading on the meter, he's porbably got another inverter circuit ( maybe a few NOT Gates ) to make the meter not fluctuate between negative and positive...

In any case it's not a new concept...

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 07:47 PM
link   

In any case it's not a new concept...

...And it doesn't do jack except for good old electrolysis... They say AC help to shake electrodes to release the gases more easily... For all I care he could have used a vibrating device of any kind, including those available at sex shops, for that purpose.

[edit on 13-6-2006 by Aelita]

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita
Oh come on, it's a normal alternating current (in the wires connecting the cells) created by manipulating the switches. Inside the cells, it's just a pulsed current. Any claim of invention is bogus.

But the current only flows in one direction through the electrolyte.

The polatity of the electrodes never changes, but the direction current flows through them changes.

It is a new and unique idea, but its applications will not be the typical electrical circuits you are thinking of.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join