It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want A Cheesesteak? 'Speak English'

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:
Ox

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by dollmonster

If the Mexicans aren't ordering in English, then how are their orders being interpreted? Are restaurant workers expected to know Spanish and translate, or are hand gestures and grunts their only clues?

I've worked with a man for seven years and his wife still doesn't know how to ask for him in English when she calls.

I find the typical illegal Mexican immigrants refusal to assimilate, incredible lazy, blatantly arrogant and disgusting.

Wow.. that's the most prejudice thing I've read today.. But the day is young, I think you should really learn a little tolerance.. I mean.. When was the last time you learned to speak a foreign language? How hard was it? You say they should learn to speak English like it's changing the a TV channel, Something tells me it's not that easy.. And thats only because I've learned to speak two foreign languages..
And Tell me.. Why are Mexicans the target? OHHH Thats right, Because that's what the Government and Media are making them out to be, The NEW enemy of the state.. Your ignorance astounds me..

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 08:23 AM
link   

I find the typical illegal Mexican immigrants refusal to assimilate, incredible lazy, blatantly arrogant and disgusting.

youre generalizing, based on what is probably minimal experience, did you ever learn to answer the phone to that guys wife in spanish?..would have been a nice friendly touch eh?

if you had you may have found that youd be having a really nice polite little convo with her most days?

you may even have formed a nice little relationship with her husband and been invited round for dinner?

i know english people living in spain and portugal that have been here for 20 years and can say only "ola"..thats bloody disgusting.

Ox

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Just on a side note.. A civil rights agency has opened an investigation.. Now, while I dont agree with what this establishment did... I DO believe in freedom of speech.. and this just proves there is none anymore.. I do NOT advocate what they are doing, but it is a private establishment and they should be able to do what they like within it.. Also, the law states that a private establishment CAN REFUSE service to anyone they choose for any or no reason at all..

External Source

I DO NOT agree with their policy.. But.. it is their business, they can run it how they choose..

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 08:00 AM
link   
This is absurd. Its a private business. If he wanted to be outright racist, he's permitted to. All he's done is say that if you don't speak english, you won't be served, whether you speak italian, spanish, portugese, arabic, gaelic, or ki-swahili.

Ox

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 08:40 AM
link   
You're right.. it is a private business.. but the people who arent speaking english are HUMAN BEINGS wanting something to eat from the business.. trying to support the business, When did all people turn on each other because they dont speak the same language? What's next? Government regulated segregation? ... I shouldnt say that.. Because the way the country is going down the crapper, it probably will be..

All people have the right to NOT learn anything they dont want to.. No matter what country they live in, Speaking the local language is a convenience not a mandate.. There is no law (yet) that DICTATES you MUST speak the local language..

Again.. Most of these people are scared, scared for themselves, because they are looked down upon by society, more so now that they are being made public enemy #1 by the government administration, and you know what, If I were in their situation, I'd be scared too.. Can you blame them? NO!... Dont be racist, lend a hand, help these people, They ARE people too, they have feelings, they breathe, eat and sleep like the rest of us. Lend a hand to your fellow human being, and not shun them away because of the colour of their skin, or the language they do or dont speak.. Believe me the world will be a better place for it..

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 10:00 AM
link   
First there is no law that says Geno has to hire non English speaking employees that is his choice right? Therefore he can ask customers to speak the same language as his employees.

Would a Morning talk show on the radio be acting in a racist manner if they refused to allow a Spanish speaking caller on the air? No of course not, it is after all an English speaking station is it not?

Is a English speaking TV Game show racist for not allowing contestants that do not speak English on the air? Of course not.

I see this whole issue as a non issue that some PC nut job is trying to make a big deal out of something that is not the law. He is not refusing them service he is just asking his customers to speak English nothing more.

What happens if a non English speaking customer calls any store that does not have anyone that speaks Spanish or any other language do when they want to ask questions or file a complaint? They get an English translator that is what they do.

I am sure there are other examples but those are just a few that I could think of and none of them could be considered racists at all so why should Genos be considered as racist when other companies are not?

Ox

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots
First there is no law that says Geno has to hire non English speaking employees that is his choice right?

Ahh .. Yeah there is a law infact.. it would called DISCRIMINATION.. If I speak little English, and Im perfectly qualified to do a job.. and You speak perfect English and have no qualifications, And are hired for that job, Then yes.. that would discrimination based on the fact that I havent learned the complete English language yet.. And a civil liberties agency would be contacted.. It's basic racism..

What if the scenario was different... and someone with no arms went into a clothing store and couldnt get something from a shelf and was denied help by the store because they everyone else can get things down, Who's problem does that become? Right, that's what I thought.. Thankyou... Seeya later

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ox
Ahh .. Yeah there is a law infact.. it would called DISCRIMINATION.. If I speak little English, and Im perfectly qualified to do a job.. and You speak perfect English and have no qualifications, And are hired for that job, Then yes.. that would discrimination based on the fact that I havent learned the complete English language yet.. And a civil liberties agency would be contacted.. It's basic racism..

It is not racism or discrimination to require employees speak english. It is no different then hiring a cook or an auto machnic. In order to get the job you have to prove you can perform the job to the owners satisfaction first.

What if the scenario was different... and someone with no arms went into a clothing store and couldnt get something from a shelf and was denied help by the store because they everyone else can get things down, Who's problem does that become?

Your 2nd scnerio does not qualify since it is related to a handicap, but nice try.

Ox

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   
No, my second scenario isnt any different.. It's being impaired.. Just as not speaking the language is an impaitment to these people.. My point is.. its their responsibility to learn the language yes.. But they shouldnt be shunned for not being able to do so at that time..

And thanks for the "Nice try" comment.. I need all the motivation and compliments I can get.. Even though I know you were trying to be sarcastic I'm not sure it worked.. But you know.. Keep up the good work

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ox
No, my second scenario isnt any different.. It's being impaired.. Just as not speaking the language is an impaitment to these people.. My point is.. its their responsibility to learn the language yes.. But they shouldnt be shunned for not being able to do so at that time..

And thanks for the "Nice try" comment.. I need all the motivation and compliments I can get.. Even though I know you were trying to be sarcastic I'm not sure it worked.. But you know.. Keep up the good work

I agree, this idea of "they must speak English now" is ludicrous. It is a handicap if they just are told all of a sudden that they must learn it or lose their job. In fact this entire thing is absolutely ridiculous. The fact that someone wants to speak Spanish over English is not a problem in my book. I can't really see how this is affecting someone's life in such a way that we have to rush to stop it from happening. I guess it will make it easier for newspeak though.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Discrimination does NOT mean racism. Please look up the definitions of the two words as they dont necessarily go hand in hand. I can discriminate against you because you are a woman but if you are the same color as me then that would not be racism. Another one trick pony here i see....

This man's parents were first generation italian immigrants for the love of God! If anyone knows the hardships with assimilating into a new culture it would be him dont you think?? I think he has earned the right to demand his clientele to speak the native language, dont you? Probably not, but thats ok.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ox
When did all people turn on each other because they dont speak the same language?

Around the same time an immigrant population decided that they'd turn on the rest of the country and not speak the usual language.

All people have the right to NOT learn anything they dont want to

And everyone has the right to try to push cultural assimilation, or even just refuse service to someome speaking jibber jabber.

There is no law (yet) that DICTATES you MUST speak the local language..

Nor should there be. Language is cultural, the government should stayout of culture.

Again.. Most of these people are scared, scared for themselves, because they are looked down upon by society, more so now that they are being made public enemy #1 by the government administration,
This is silly. The entire situation only exists because many hispanic immigrants have chosen to not adopt english as a cultural issue, wanting to 'preserve their culture'. Fair enough, but the rest of us are going to preserve our culture, and that means speaking english to us.

and you know what, If I were in their situation, I'd be scared too.. Can you blame them?

Yes, it was their choice to not adopt english.

Dont be racist, lend a hand, help these people,

Bollocks. Cultural assimilation isn't racist. The charge that its racist is recognized as absurd and further pushing the mainstream to take steps for assimilation.

and not shun them away because of the colour of their skin,

this is language, not colour.

or the language they do or dont speak

Why should anyone bother to serve peopel who can't be bothered to learn enough english to order a sandwich?

it would called DISCRIMINATION

A private individual and business can be as discriminatory as they want, there is nothing illegal about it.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ox

Your 2nd scenario dealt with their inability to get something they are not one and the same, because the employees/customers are not deaf or dumb nor are they handicap. You were trying to compare apples to oranges which as we all know never works.

Would you hire a cook who could not cook, would you hire a mechanic to work on cars if he could not? No of course you wouldn't. Now on the other hand would you reach up and get something for an individual who was not capable of doing it himself of course you would, we all would or I would think that all would but then anything is possible.

For all anyone knows Genos may have a requirement that all employees speak English and that is his right, just as it would be his right to demand that they all be high school graduates if he wanted to do so.

What I am getting at here is just because you can perform the job does not automatically mean you get the job regardless of who or what you are. An Employer can place whatever educational requirements he wants on his employees that is his right, just as it is his right to ask customers to speak English.

Now before you continue to spout off about the Disabilities act it would behove you to read up on it. Once you have you will find that not all businesses and housing units are currently required to service handicapped individuals. In other words a store/home build in 1890 is not required to do so until they remodel that is and even then it may have to be federally funded. As for modern homes most if not all building codes have been updated to meet some of the requirements to handle handicap individuals but not all of them.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
Would you hire a cook who could not cook, would you hire a mechanic to work on cars if he could not?
...snip...
What I am getting at here is just because you can perform the job does not automatically mean you get the job regardless of who or what you are. An Employer can place whatever educational requirements he wants on his employees that is his right, just as it is his right to ask customers to speak English.

I agree.

There is a new supermarket in the area where the personnel DOES NOT SPEAK English. I can tell you, it's a hassle to shop there even if the produce is OK. Of course I can choose to drive 5 miles to a different location, but why is that that the onus of learning Spanish or driving a distance is on me, and not on the immigrants?

For your reference, I am an immigrant myself. And I find it stinking when the newcomers do not respect America enough to learn a modicum of our language.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ox
All people have the right to NOT learn anything they dont want to.. No matter what country they live in, Speaking the local language is a convenience not a mandate.. There is no law (yet) that DICTATES you MUST speak the local language..

And the business establishment has a right to not serve anybody they choose! And its isnt our duty to help them by trying to understand what they are saying or what they mean, if they choose ignorance then they pay the price of being ostricised.

Again.. Most of these people are scared, scared for themselves, because they are looked down upon by society,

One of the reasons they are looked down upon is because they cannot communicate effectively with the local populace and once that happens they improve in status.

more so now that they are being made public enemy #1 by the government administration, and you know what, If I were in their situation, I'd be scared too..

Then you would be scared for no reason. The Govt wants to crack down on illegal immigrants not on legal citizens. The only reason they would need to be scared is if they are illegals or breaking the law. All latin people are not seen as the enemy, only those mexicans who dont have the proper papers to be in the US. Not knowing the language makes them appear more as illegals .

Dont be racist, lend a hand, help these people, They ARE people too, they have feelings, they breathe, eat and sleep like the rest of us. Lend a hand to your fellow human being, and not shun them away because of the colour of their skin, or the language they do or dont speak.. Believe me the world will be a better place for it..

What are you talking about ? This is absurd ! What does race have to do with learning english ? Are you saying that latin people cant learn english now ?
You are trying to play the race card and it isnt going to work. All they are being asked is to LEARN the language, nothing more. Most of these people dont even bother to TRY to learn the language. Why should americans try to help these people, when they refuse to help themselves ?
I would like to see you preach the same race rhetoric in say France or Germany or Italy and see what happens.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita
There is a new supermarket in the area where the personnel DOES NOT SPEAK English. I can tell you, it's a hassle to shop there even if the produce is OK. Of course I can choose to drive 5 miles to a different location, but why is that that the onus of learning Spanish or driving a distance is on me, and not on the immigrants?

Very simple solution to the problem. Let the manager know that you are unhappy when an employee cannot speak English, that is your right. That is what I have done and on more then one occasion. Trust me it works, once they know you are going to shop elsewhere they are not very happy, especially when you make it clear you are going to tell your friends who also shop there

For your reference, I am an immigrant myself. And I find it stinking when the newcomers do not respect America enough to learn a modicum of our language.

Might I ask if you are from a Latin/Spanish speaking nation?

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 01:41 AM
link   
This whole issue isn't even an issue. If he would have posted "order in Spanish only" on the sign no one would have cared. People are so concerned with protecting the lazy and excusable that they don't care about those who have the common decency to learn English and get here legally. Even if you don't care about the legal american citizens whose rights are violated by these illegals, you should have respect for the LEGAL immigrants that worked so hard to get here the right way. I say, if you LIVE in this country and you can't speak english, # you. That is a flat out disrespect to all 4 of my grandparents who worked between 4 and 8 years on legally immigrating here. My grandfather had to come back to New Orleans 6 times becuase he couldn't pass the English test. You can't work that hard at it? You don't deserve to be here, go back and fix your own country. BTW, Im not "xenophobic", I am married to a native Chinese woman, with a half Chinese son and I speak multiple languages and grew up in a neighborhood of immigrants. I am prejudice against people that think they are owed something for nothing, and that their poor situation is an excuse to break a law. Or the fact that the system is "hard" or "unfair" excuses them from having responsibilities for their actions. After all those disgusting protests where those illegals spat in all of our faces, if anyone admitted to me that they were an illegal I would place them under citizen's arrest and drive them right to the border control agents... at the border.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 02:35 AM
link   
i dont care if u mexican chinese indian or whatever.....learn how to speak the language of the country you live in!

it's absolutley absurd and disrespectful for these foreigners to come in and not learn how to speak at least semi coherent english. you aint gotta be a scholorly english teacher, but at least be able to string together some sentences! i cant tell you how tired i am of dealing with these people who cant learn how to speak a lick of english. i shouldnt have to feel like a foreigner in my own country! just stay wherever you are from if u wont adapt to the society. If i went to live in another country i would sure learn to speak the language, because i would feel its disrespectful of that country to not know they native tounge!

I have nothing against anybody of any race, but show some respect for the country and it's people and learn the language already.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Ohio had a similar case. A bar owner had a sign in his window that said "For Service, Speak English" He was sued by the Ohio Civil Rights Commission and the case generated alot of press. This case is generally misunderstood and though I don't know New York law I imagine it may be similar. The problem with such a sign is that it is illegal. A bar or restaurant is a place of public accomodation. It is illegal to bar someone from using the facility on the basis of race, religion, familial status, or you guessed it country of national origin. It's not about whether someone should learn to speak English it's just flat out against the law to post a sign like that. The bar owner in the Ohio case stated he never refused service to anyone but actually that is irrelevant, the effect of the sign is that it makes someone who can't say "beer" feel unwelcome. It's really a legal issue and the only solution would be to change the laws of public accomodation. Can someone in East Chicago post a sign that says, "For Service, Speak Spanish" because it's their store? Nope.

FYI The case was settled out of court, he took down the sign.

Ox

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 06:50 AM
link   
THANKYOU!... Finally.. someone with a little common sense.. And Yeah.. I said It was illegal a couple of posts ago didnt I?? Oh yeah that's right I did.. So thankyou

And just one a side note.. I was in a fast food drive through last night *puke* and there on one side of the menu was English.. and the other side... was Spanish.. and this is an international food chain with thousands of stores in this country alone.. Where's the problem? Oh.. that's right .. there isnt one.. Unless there's one being made by shallow minded ignorant people..

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join