It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want A Cheesesteak? 'Speak English'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Kickn ass El Che !

yo estoy gringo pero nesesito hablos espanol para mi trabajo.
siento para mi malo espanol !
esta gracioso si ?

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I dont think that whole right to refuse service to anyone applies, nor has it for a long time now. Since the civil rights movements they have placed strict rules on how to operate "your on business" which is messed up, in todays society you live by what is set as politically correct or face the consequences, calling a black person n**er can get you 2 years by itself... sounds like you dont know your rights, or maybe they havent taken them away where you live.. but the everyday life i see in San Diego completely contradicts your statement....

Cug

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Well, he might be an idiot- i'll give you that. But here in New England, we do not use Cheez Whiz

We use any kind of real cheese. Guess what? Its very tasty. Some people hate Cheez Whiz

Your from Cape Cod? Say someone wanted their clam chowder with tomatoes (Manhattan style) up in your area? Honestly you can't say that much mocking will not take place.

Messing with peoples food traditions is pretty much blasphemy in many parts.

But then I'm a bit of a foodie.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by imbalanced
Kickn ass El Che !

yo estoy gringo pero nesesito hablos espanol para mi trabajo. Que bueno!
siento para mi malo espanol ! Tu Espanol esta muy bueno
esta gracioso si ? Si. muy gracioso.

Good for you. Its good to know another language.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cug

Well, he might be an idiot- i'll give you that. But here in New England, we do not use Cheez Whiz

We use any kind of real cheese. Guess what? Its very tasty. Some people hate Cheez Whiz

Your from Cape Cod? Say someone wanted their clam chowder with tomatoes (Manhattan style) up in your area? Honestly you can't say that much mocking will not take place.

There would be an outburst of laughter like you wouldnt believe.

You're absolutely right!!

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Thnks !
It is still wrong for them to take down the sign. Its their store.
Do you see XXX stores advertise less ? WTF !?

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Australia: Native language = English (I'm from australia)
America: Native Language = English

People are not mean't to come to live in Australia without learning English, and when you hear of the department of immigration letting poeple in who can't speak english. It frustrates you.

When you see people speaking another language to someone who only speaks english in an english speaking country. It can get frustrating. But then again they could be tourists. but if they were you would think they would have a dictionary in front of them. Never the less, tolerance is a must. So when I see Australians having a go at someone who doesn't speak english, or very good english, It frustrates me.

Peope try to get along as best as they can. Other poeple just need to tolerate it, and try not to get frustrated, and be patient with each other.

Basically what i'm trying to say is... "Cant we all just get along?" ;-P

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE

Peope try to get along as best as they can. Other poeple just need to tolerate it, and try not to get frustrated, and be patient with each other.

No. I agree wholeheartedly with you, but dont expect people to get along. According to one poster here, they shouldnt just speak English, they should speak PERFECT English. Id like to see that person speak PERFECT Spanish. Its laughable.

Lets face it, for what it really is. America has always had "trouble" with hispanics. That will never change. A French accent is charming, a german accent is cool, a Sweedish accent is sexy...but a Spanish accent is attributed to "they dont care".

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE

No. I agree wholeheartedly with you, but dont expect people to get along. According to one poster here, they shouldnt just speak English, they should speak PERFECT English. Id like to see that person speak PERFECT Spanish. Its laughable.

Lets face it, for what it really is. America has always had "trouble" with hispanics. That will never change. A French accent is charming, a german accent is cool, a Sweedish accent is sexy...but a Spanish accent is attributed to "they dont care". Some just cannot be happy with the fact that if someone makes the effort to speak English (which they should, they live here), if its rough English, at least give them the credit for trying to learn it, for Petes sakes!!!

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Yeah cause as we all know everyone that migrated to the New World all took care to learn the Native American language of their settlement area.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Having lived in portugal for 9 years (and initially only speaking english) i find some of the comments here partcularly stupid.

The portuguese are super tolerant of the english and always do there best to speak english and help out, obviously they dont have to.

Its polite to learn the launguage of the country you live but not the law, obviously you cant expect to get on well without learning the launguage of that country.

I dont understand what the big deal is these days with people banging on about ..."your in england..speak english!!", the english have cast their flag across a third of the world, who are we to demand that imigrants to our country speak our launguage?

however i do not believe our goverments should have to pay for foreign speaking members of staff, just so british imigrants can communicate, they should do as i had to in the early days of my emigration and get a translator to come with them, their failure to speak english is their own, not the responsibility of our goerment and its employees.

If people could just be a little more tolerant of each others launguages and customs the world wouldnt be the crap fight slanging match it is.

I think what is wrong is the way non speaking imigrants to the uk 'Demand' that we provide someone to speak to them in their native tongue, which of course our stupid goverment and 'do gooder' MP'S suddenley say.."oh yes..we apologise..we have commited an act of ratial discrimination by not speaking every native tongue in the known world"

If you tried the above in Portugal,Spain,France or Italy their goverments would laugh in your face and tell you not to be so dammned rude!...and quite rightly so.

When in Rome do as the roman's do.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Where the heck does any elected official get off telling a private citizen to take down a sign, on their own premises, making a political statement!?
Where do they get off calling themselves 'activists' ...

See this everyone? THIS is a perfect example of why I wish we could give
mods applause.
As usual Nygdan nailed it perfectly. I completely
agree with his statement.

As far as the 'activists' go ... they are very quick to jump on someone
else's rights when those people display behavior that doesn't fall in line
with the activist's version of 'correct'.
What a bunch!

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by optimus fett
Having lived in portugal for 9 years (and initially only speaking english) i find some of the comments here partcularly stupid.
Its polite to learn the launguage of the country you live but not the law, obviously you cant expect to get on well without learning the launguage of that country.

I dont understand what the big deal is these days with people banging on about ..."your in england..speak english!!", the english have cast their flag across a third of the world, who are we to demand that imigrants to our country speak our launguage?

I agree with you. It's a pathetic issue to even surface but then what do you expect. No wonder people can't get along.

On another note I've had a cheesesteak and its disgusting. I don't even think my dog would eat this garbage. But then again if its a local favorite I just hope there are lots of cardiologists living in the area.

brill

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by IAF101

Asking for a well accented English, is very unreasonable. That's totally not necessary. You are saying that people should not have an accent at all.

Many a time people tend to believe that they are in fact conversing in English but their accents are so thick that it is impossible to decipher what language they are talking in let alone be able to communicate with them . Proper accents play an important part in effective communication. I am sure most cant have perfect accents but attempts should be made to inculcate the desired accent. Also its not that people shouldnt have an accent its more that people should speak in an understandable accent. I dont think this should be much of a problem to the Latinos etc because english is a close cousin of what they are used to speaking all their lives.

It is the Japanese, Chinese and Koreans that have to really struggle. But even they manage to come out with good english, then I see no reason why people who live in a country where English is the official language and speak an European language have problems in learning to speak english!

Well, sir, I am not a grammar Nazi on these forums, but since you insist on having people speak in "unaccented English" (whatever that is), I insist you properly edit your posts. Your writing is thick with anachronisms ("Many a time"), spelling mistakes ("shouldnt", "cant","its"), run-on sentences ("Also its not that people shouldnt have an accent its more that people should speak in an understandable accent. "), Questionable sentence structure (sarting scentences with "But") etc, etc.

OK, I'm not entirely serious, but do you see how you do the very thing you are upset with others for doing? A little humility might be in order!

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I totally agree 100% I am sick of being at a public place (n AMERICA)and hearing no english. Lets make this country America again!

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I think speaking English is not enough. Accents can make it unintelligible.
In the UK for example in the west country they can speak at a slower rate with longer vowel sounds. The south east can drop "h's" so home becomes 'ome and mispronounce "r's" as a"w" sound so Roger becomes Woger".
"I am eating an apple." becomes "oi'm eatin napple".

In Glasgow they talk very fast with a great but hard to describe accent. To communicate with people just 300 miles apart can take patience.
I have daily interaction with people who murder English. My standard is not high but get a fast and heavy Raj accent and you can be in trouble. If you ask them to slow down they think you are belittling their language skills. I have had them say to me "Well I can speak two languages can you?"

I live in England. We speak English. In inner city London they speak over 300 languages and dialects they say. It is obvious that no society could possibly run efficiently accommodating that number of languages. The world is taking to English, if you fly a plane you need it. The french etc would love it not be so. But the fact is English is a mongrel whore of a language pinching from others, that is its success. It has robbed so much from so many languages I would be surprised if there is a language not included somewhere.

Colloquial terms like those at the rival establishments cause confusion. In Glasgow "That you" means "Have you finished". In the North of England "Mgoin' yam" means "I am going home." You do wonder how a non-indigenous person learns it at all

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Here is a novel idea. If when placing an order the server cannot speak English ask for someone who does speak English. If they say no, tell the management you will take your business to an establishment that does.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 11:11 AM
link   

I totally agree 100% I am sick of being at a public place (n AMERICA)and hearing no english. Lets make this country America again!

yeah..what a brilliant idea..maybe we can start lynching folks and dunking suspected witches in mill ponds again aswell?

Whats the problem with accepting the world is getting smaller and that 'getting along' whatever/which ever way we can is a plus?

Hearing folks speaking another launguage is not a problem..its the respect part that when you dont understand them that people do their best to help your communication?

...jeez....were starting to sound like nazi's

this is no better than those 'what do you think of all these imigrants ?' threads.

what ever happened to 'deny ignorance'?

and one more thing whilst were on the subject...every day i see Morocan guys i know....i say 'hi..how are you doing!' in their launguage, they say the same to me in english...

i see guys from angola, i do the same in african,

i see guys from senegal, we exchange pleasantries in french, them in english,

it took me 2 minutes of my life to learn some pleasantries in their launguages and it puts a smile on all our faces every morning....the world getting along..

Ox

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I have to agree with Optimus Fett.. What ever happened to "Immigrants built this country" and all of those great lines that used to mean so much..
And what alot of English speaking people DONT understand is that.. these people are scared.. they stick with their own countrymen because they are in the same proverbial boat together.. They are looked down upon even if they are Citizens simply because they are Latino or what not.. (Im using them as an example) .. SOME of them may be illegal.. so they stick to themselves.. they have few resources at their discretion and they just try to live with what they can..

It seems that the Government is trying to make a subtle racist attack.. and spread it throughout the country by pointing the finger at the Mexicans.. theyre all illegal.. theyre the new enemy of the state.. To take focus off of other things.. and its wrong.. its plain racism.. pure and simple.. Leave them alone.. If they cant speak english and order something to eat.. then HELP THEM!.. They are doing the best with what they have available.. What ever happened to lending a helping hand.. To another human being..

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I hate this "0" tolerance for an accent. That's absurd. Those of you who do not want an accent, even if the person has learned English to get by, have obviously NEVER tried to learn another language. You would be speaking Americanized Spanish, at best. For that matter, you'd be speaking Americanized "anything".

Yes, they should speak English. Be happy with whatever comes out of their mouth that resembles English. Or put them all in concentration camps. Whatever.
Its hopeless debating something so simple which people cant understand. You cant understand my point, and i've said it in ENGLISH.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join