It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandatory Draft Bill snuck in and to be debated on 6/6/06

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   
It would not suprise me if this is just a political ploy so the bill will get shot down. That is something that happens all the time I am sure.
But more to the point the draft is just something that few people in the Gov and the country want. Namely the Generals dont want it.
This has been tried before and it got shot down, and I dont think this time will be any different.

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I really hope this does not pass,

But given the current state of world affairs and the british terrorist developments still to uncover evidence and the amount of media attention it is getting atm. Lack of troops to invade iran etc.. and if it does pass, chances are the UK would follow suit.

Bomb Iran?

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Source

On February 14, 2006, Congressman Charles Rangel (Democrat - NY) introduced a bill (Universal National Service Act of 2006 - HR 4752 IH) aiming at drafting everyone - men and women alike - from the ages of 18 to 42 into the military for a minimum period of 2 years.

Or to quote the bill: "To provide for the common defense by requiring all persons in the United States, including women, between the ages of 18 and 42 to perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes."

Who wants to put money on who's kids get civilian service and who's kids end up in the military.

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
This is a different bill, it hasn't been voted on yet. How about you take a look at this link that makeitso had provided earlier.

www.govtrack.us...

Bills get reintroduced all the time but they dont have to be voted on if the motion to do so fails. While these two bills arent exactly them same, they are pretty darn close to it. The wording is very close except on the defining age of those who would serve if this passed. Just because hes changed a few details in this bill here and there doesnt mean his intentions have changed. This is still the same ploy that is feeding those draft reinstatement rumors that came around in 2004, and nothing is changing.

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I know this is probably nothing to worry about because Bush would have bigger problems on his hands than the middle east if he reinstated the draft. But, it's still a scary thought with all the young fathers/mothers, brothers/sisters, sons/daughters and husbands/wives being killed over there. What are these poor kids going to do when both mommy AND daddy die in the war. I, for one, will give the government a big SNIP[ YOU!! if they ever decide I'm going to serve in a conflict I don't believe in! I should have just moved to Canada when Bush got elected! Lord help us all!

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 5/6/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 10:47 PM
link   
What state was the senator or representative who first proposed this from? I think he should get voted out of office immediately. A draft would be expensive and not needed unless we really are in a big war and I don't believe the US needs to be in a big war unless it is really needed to save our country from destruction. We need to vote out of office all those who keep wasting our tax money.

If someone really wanted a lot of new recruits without too much hassle, someone could just offer an illegal immigrant legalization plan that included a few years of national service. After all, they broke the law and wanted to come here when everyone else has been obeying it. I'm against a draft for everyone and I might be concerned with possible war plans someone might have if we suddenly have a much larger multi-million co-ed drafted army.

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Rangel is a Democratic Congressman from my hometown, NYC. He is widely known for antics such as this in order to further his political views.

He is against the war in Iraq and believes that the way to get more Americans against it is to put the fear in them that their kids might have to go over there.

This is not the first time he's done this and he votes against his own bill each time.

I am quite familiar with the Congressman and his policies, and this guy of all people is about as against a draft as one can get.

Folks really need to start looking deeper into things before declaring that the sky is in the process of falling. Come on...

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 11:09 PM
link   
quick question though, can someone find out who the two congress members where that actually voted for the bill?

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I'm sure that if a new 9/11 before the vote happen, or the war with Iran start on 6/6/6 or before, the draft could very well be adopted. I hope this doesn't pass
because if it does, sorry but I would left the country!
Those democrats and republicans, all the same crap!

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Good Question Rock! They should be Fired!
I agree that the Government would be a lot quicker to start wars (if that could happen) if our military was greatly increased by a draft. I like the illegal immigration draft idea! That would probably cut down on illegal immigration A LOT! The Mexicans would be saying "I aint hoppin' that fence! Those crazy Americans are gonna send me to one of their senseless wars. I may be poor here but at least I'm alive!".
I appreciate what that Senator is doing for the U.S.; our eyes need to be opened to this craziness that's going on! No one takes time to read up on the issues, educate themselves on the candidates, and VOTE!

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Wasn't there a bill passed a while back that said no matter
where you went, you couldn't escape the draft?

Maybe it was just targeting people who escaped to Canada, i'm not sure.
I guess you would have to go completely off the grid.

[edit on 6/4/2006 by Sandro]

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 11:31 PM
link   
How could the U.S. make you serve in the military if you became a canadian citizen? And, if you were trying to escape the draft and simply went to Canada instead of becoming a canadian citizen, How smart would you be?

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 12:50 AM
link   
What about this guy's other bill?

thomas.loc.gov...:H.R.2723:

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
quick question though, can someone find out who the two congress members where that actually voted for the bill?

Surely, it was John Murtha (D-PA) and Pete Stark (D-Cali). I do not honestly know why some people are actually going with this completely when it is clear that this is just another attempt to politically undermine the war for votes. I can understand being against it, but this is not the way to go against it.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by pazlenchantinrocks
What about this guy's other bill?

thomas.loc.gov...:H.R.2723:

Same bill, but it was introduced in 2004(voted down), 2005(I think it was ingnored as I cant see any record of a vote on it, and again in 2006. Dont worry about it, it wont pass. It probably wont even be called up to vote upon again.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Interesting a Democrat would submit something like that. I would think it would turn the voters against him and the party?

He is a decorated Korean War vet.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by bg_socalif
Interesting a Democrat would submit something like that. I would think it would turn the voters against him and the party?

He is a decorated Korean War vet.

As myself and others have pointed out, hes not doing it becasue he wants the draft reinstated, hes was playing on the internet rumors that were going about the draft coming back. He didnt vote for the bill himself, it was a political ploy and nothing else.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 02:13 AM
link   
All the sudden I have a very uneasy feeling about this. Congress was supposed to go on vacation on 6/6/06 and thats why I thought nothing would happen on that day. All the sudden they'll be in session.

If "terrorists" are going to dirty bomb/nuke the Capitol building it appears this is the day to do it because the entire government will be there. There's no point hitting it when they are on vacation.

On top of that there was that poweroutage a few weeks ago which was never fully explained. Was stunned to find out the same thing happened to WTC before 9/11.

I don't like to say things are going to happen on specific days but it's a very distinct possibility. As far as I'm concerned it will be another normal day unless the television tells us otherwise with breaking news.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 05:21 AM
link   
As the stomach turns,

It could be true. It could be a ploy. It could be as someone said, because he wants to get people even more revolted against this so called war.
It could be that we all might be buying one way tickets outta here soon.
I would rather die than to see my 2 sons , daughter-in-law, my cousins, and my brother have to go to this war. I mean it.

NOT THIS WAR.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 05:39 AM
link   
The draft would be for future wars cause technicaly we're not at war. I don't think the Congress is going to get bamboozeled into another war for profit. Its been my experience that Congressmen/women like their jobs. There's no way they'll stand behind a lame duck with an approval rating in the 20 percentile. I don't think you have to start running for the border just yet, but if Jeb gets in get out of my way I'll clear a path
peace

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join