It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people join these things?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   
We join because most of us are like minded individuals with common interests and goals in our respective lodges. Not to mention the rich history of Freemasonry. Fiat Lux

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 03:26 PM
link   
For me, it was also a case of wanting to be a part of something larger than myself.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   
for me it was wanting the same feeling of brotherhood that i've always felt in the marine corps.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I think it all depends on the group you're talking about, but frankly I believe a lot of these secret societies will exclude anyone with a low income, racial and gender differences, and possibly other superficial reasons. And when I mean 'low income' I don't mean like welfare, I mean like anyone who earns less than perhaps 800k. So no, I don't find these societies to be beneficial as a whole

[edit on 15-5-2006 by laiguana]

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana
I think it all depends on the group you're talking about, but frankly I believe a lot of these secret societies will exclude anyone with a low income, racial and gender differences, and possibly other superficial reasons. And when I mean 'low income' I don't mean like welfare, I mean like anyone who earns less than perhaps 800k.

Well, I think we can exclude the freemasons from that grouping, as I don't earn anything like that sum, and furthermore I don't know anyone who does.

More's the pity

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I joined a fraternity for the Brotherhoold, and the enjoyment of being part of something meaningful.

Joining secret groups and clubs is fun, it's social...that's why I believe people join them.

-- Boat

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I think it all depends on the group you're talking about, but frankly I believe a lot of these secret societies will exclude anyone with a low income, racial and gender differences, and possibly other superficial reasons. And when I mean 'low income' I don't mean like welfare, I mean like anyone who earns less than perhaps 800k. So no, I don't find these societies to be beneficial as a whole

800k? Well that leaves out all but THREE Australians I can think of....

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 02:27 AM
link   
After seeing "FROM HELL", I was reminded of my short time as a Mason. And wanted to join a Fraternal Society of Catholics that had a common goal, where I could feel a real sense of Brotherhood, and assist in the needs of my church.

The pastor of my church told me a new Knights of Columbus Council was forming, and invited me to apply. So I did. I've enjoyed my 5 years or so as a Knight so far and am looking to become more and more involved as I grow older.

The Knights of Columbus is not a secret society, the only thing secret are the initiation ceremonials of the order, so as not to spoil the experience for new admissions to the order.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 02:41 PM
link   

wow i guess im lucky, im a mason who only makes 40k...maybe they misread my application and added 2 extra zeros.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by chief_counsellor
After seeing "FROM HELL", I was reminded of my short time as a Mason. And wanted to join a Fraternal Society of Catholics that had a common goal, where I could feel a real sense of Brotherhood, and assist in the needs of my church.

Bully for you. Although I presume that your church dictated your leaving the Masons, all that really matters in the long run is the end result. I had been initiated into Masonry earlier that year and took the 'always hele' thing to heart. It was a bit disconcerting to hear the oath I'd taken a couple of months earlier coming from a movie screen.

Anyway, give 'er and may you leave the world a better place than you found it.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I don't know about the other organizations on that remarkable list (but they can't be very good at being secret societies or we wouldn't have the list....), but I can speak with some authority on the Knights of Columbus.

If you really want to know what the KofC is all about, I recommend going to your local library for a copy of "Parish Priest" - a decent one should have it. This book tells the story of Father Micheal J. McGivney, the founder of the Order. There is quite a bit about the motivations behind the creation of the Knights. In a nutshell, it provided a fraternal benefit organization for the families of the membership. In the latter part of the 19th century, most men were a paycheck away from the poorhouse and if they died - and die they did, the entire family was in serious trouble. We who have jobs with benefits take life insurance for granted - there was no such protection for these men.

The order also created a sort of power base for Catholicism - a religion that was actively and systematically persecuted by many state governments and by nativist groups like the 'Know-Nothings". The KofC provided a support and political action group for the Catholic church in the US.

Finally, the order was founded to provide a social network for men. The 19th century was flooded with all manner of 'secret' societies and fraternal orders - this was a phenomena that swept across Europe and the US. The Catholic Church expressly forbade Catholic men from joining these organizations as a matter of doctrine. The KofC provided men with an acceptable organization.

We do have our secrets and rituals - like all such organizations. They serve only to give us a closer bond of fellowship and an awareness that we have responsibilities to the order and each other. Most social groups - formal and informal - have similiar practices. From injokes to secret handshakes to initiation ceremonies...all are natural parts of almost any organization. Most of the Knights business is an open book; there is little about us that is 'secret'.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Because they use ancient egyptian magic and beleive in sacrafice.

Once they join the masonic tribe they worship satan or maybe thats isn't the real reason but they sell their soul to the devil after they die they all fall in an eternal death.

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Which is why they have a bunch of military people and allow in college kids like me whose future income will probably never hit 800k. But here's hoping.

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Appak

Originally posted by EdenKaia
There was a time not long ago when the Catholic church dominated everything.

Right. HUNDREDS of years ago. I'd be interested to know your interpretation of "not long ago"

The Church hasn't dominated "everything" ... or much of anything in a LONG time.

Well, ya should check the History books then; from 1933 till 1974 Portugal was under a totalitarist regime. In this regime the official religion institution was the Roman Catholic Church; when i say official means if you had the bad idea of sayin anything against it or even if you were a believer of something else, you would go imediately to jail and kind liekly be tortured/killed/sent to somewhere else. This is all documented, if you want historical backup ill be happy to provide it. If ya consider 1974 was just 32 years ago...

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I was surprised to see this still going. Thanks again for the responses. I'm about to reach the conclusion that most of the strange theories are out and out fabrications regarding many groups. Interesting conversation and to any who took offense please let me apologize. I've finally learned to withstand the attacks on ATS without reacting. I hope. I've noticed that members of very few groups responded. Probably tired of the crap and I don't blame you. Of course if anyone wants to spill the proverbial beans about the secrets, feel free to use this thread.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawaii_boy

Once they join the masonic tribe they worship satan or maybe thats isn't the real reason but they sell their soul to the devil after they die they all fall in an eternal death.

I'm confused - are you referring to MY post or something else? If it is mine, there are 4 and only 4 degrees in the KofC. The 1st degree is - well, the 1st - and the 4th degree is the absolute last. No secret degrees or offices - all in all, a pretty treansparent organization in many ways...

Sell our souls? What foolishness is this? I don't even care if this is directed to my post; if you are going to make such a ridiculous 'Jack Chick' remark, back it up! You don;t have to agree with me, but don't be foolish.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Shantyman,

I don't think the boy has a clue about Masons, the KofC or much else for that matter. the less time wasted trying to find something of import in his posts, the better off you are.

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawaii_boy

Have you ever tried to even understand/research what some organisations/institutions do or are you just throwing out your religious tape ?

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 07:56 PM
link   
my opinion would be mailny due to the fact that these peoples lifes are missing love and acceptance from family or they had troubled lives and in the past with their own parents being degenrates or whatever the case may be.
It be the same reason why your doing drugs with friends as a kid its to fit in get that acceptance your missing from family(parents).
Upbringing is a major part in the way you will develop as adult. Abused children tend to abuse other as they get older. Drug using parents tend to be leinient or very agressive on children due to their drug induced stupor or they are extremely stressed or too intoxicated to care so you grow up the same way masking problems with drugs alcohol venting problems you have with yourself on others in all the wrong ways.
Life is can be a terrible place if you make it that way.
People are not fortunate enough to have loving nurturing parents in this day in age the bad life cycles overcome the good ones on a daily basis, people cant cope anymore and people dont even think for themselves anymore I see this everyday.
So Im thinking most people that join these groups are invited in by troubled sick people just like themselves and this way its works good for order in the society I mean if everyone that was invited were to be invited by say their father or reletive well then you can see clearly how this destructive life cycle continues on, you have to be taught the proper things to know whats right and wrong but when your not and instead led on the wrong path or lead for someone elses agenda then I would say your being manipulated by a sick individual.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by seridium
my opinion would be mailny due to the fact that these peoples lifes are missing love and acceptance from family or they had troubled lives and in the past with their own parents being degenrates or whatever the case may be.
It be the same reason why your doing drugs with friends as a kid its to fit in get that acceptance your missing from family(parents).
Upbringing is a major part in the way you will develop as adult. Abused children tend to abuse other as they get older. Drug using parents tend to be leinient or very agressive on children due to their drug induced stupor or they are extremely stressed or too intoxicated to care so you grow up the same way masking problems with drugs alcohol venting problems you have with yourself on others in all the wrong ways.
Life is can be a terrible place if you make it that way.
People are not fortunate enough to have loving nurturing parents in this day in age the bad life cycles overcome the good ones on a daily basis, people cant cope anymore and people dont even think for themselves anymore I see this everyday.
So Im thinking most people that join these groups are invited in by troubled sick people just like themselves and this way its works good for order in the society I mean if everyone that was invited were to be invited by say their father or reletive well then you can see clearly how this destructive life cycle continues on, you have to be taught the proper things to know whats right and wrong but when your not and instead led on the wrong path or lead for someone elses agenda then I would say your being manipulated by a sick individual.

Seridium -

I just love the casually tossed-off generalizations - especially the ones that are so far off the mark. Members of any sort of social group are generally the opposite of the description you painted in your first paragraph. You have described the lone-gunman loner anti-social type. They are the ones who go the Columbine route or join cults. And lest we engender more debate over the K of C or the Masons as a 'cult', lets deal with entomology 101. Cult is taken from the Lation 'cultus' - to adore. Traditionally, almost every religious organization can be defined as a cult. The modern day usage is more restrictive. Random House dictionary defines the modern day cult as follows " a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader;". Assuming you are using the latter, most of the organizations listed in this thread do not qualify. A number do have elements applicable to the more classical definition. And what's wrong with that?

Abused people are rarely joiners in most organizations. How do you figure that identification with the Masons or the Knights of Columbus or any number of other organizations as being a refuge for the spiritually oppressed? If anything, a number of people join these organizations for social and economic advancement. A lot of Catholic politicians join the K of C just for the 'right' to list it as one of their affiliations. As a Knight, I am more likely to do business with merchants and tradesmen who are brothers. I am more likely to identify with these men - many have joined because they share my values. I know a number of Masons and Oddfellows and Elks and the such. I would hazard to state that they would agree with my assessment here. Ambitious, successful people are rarely the ones you paint in your missive.

During the 19th century, mystery groups, occult societies, and secret orders were endemic in the US and Europe. The occult groups grew out of certain elements of popular culture and a feeling of alienation in the emerging modern world. The harsh, impersonal lifestyle of the denizens of the Industrial Revolutions of the 19th century sparked many fraternal orders. The massive factories and corporations that employed people were far different from the smaller workshops and offices of an earlier day. Technology began alienating people - and continues to do so today. Fraternal Orders provided men with a society that bound them with ties of personal loyalty. The secrets and rituals of these organizations serve to unite them as bloodpinning freshly minted Airborne troopers used to. Rites of initiation, rites of passage, solemn oaths binding one man to another in bonds of fraternity. These create in members of these organizations the sense of shared experience. I have met men who saw my 4th degree pin and recognized me as a Brother, greeted me warmly. Why? We have shared the same experiences. We recognize in a stranger a man who has the same values. I have seen this in Masons as well. My uncle is a Mason. While on a road trip, his car broke down. A man stopped, saw the Masonic emblem on my uncle's car, shared some recognition signal (which I am not privy too). He then drove us - out of his way - to the home of a fellow Mason. This man left his dinner half-eaten, took us to his garage, towed the car, and fixed it. My uncle knew neither of these men, but they were Brothers.

If there is a conspiracy here, it is a conspiracy that is ancient - 'take care of your own'. But most groups don't stop there. The Shriners run some of the best hospitals in the world. The Knights of Columbus raise millions of dollars to help those in need - from Special Olympics to disaster relief to the local council supporting a vast array of social agencies. The secret of the conspiracy? Do you all really want it? Here it is - The Knights are indeed trying to influence the world. By trying to make it better. The Masons I know feel the same. I have listened to the leader of the Knights of Columbus - I had the pleasure of hearing Supreme Knight Anderson speak recently. Our agenda is certainly pro-Catholic, no excuses or apologies. That is an agenda of service. An agenda of making ourselves worthy to be Catholic men, followers of Christ, and an instrument of our Church.

As always, thank you kind reader for your attention - God Bless you all....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join