It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

XM109 Anti-Material rifle.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Caliber:
25mm

Builder:
Barrett Rifles

Overall Length:
46 inches

Operation:
Short recoil operation, semi-automatic

Features:
M1913 optical rail, BORS ballistic computer, monopod socket

Weight:
33.2 lbs

Muzzle Velocity:
2600 feet per second

Magazine Capacity:
5-round detachable box magazine

Accessories:
Dual-chamber detachable muzzle brake or suppressor system; detachable bipod and carry handle

www.military.com...

www.barrettrifles.com...

Wow...a weapon similar to the .50 cal weapon except it fires the 25mm round that would be considered the slim down version of the Apache's 30 mm round anti material. Considered to be more powerful than the .50 cal weapon (M107) of course.

The centerpiece of the XM-109 system is the 25mm HEDP ammunition it fires. A scaled down derivative of the low velocity 30mm HEDP M789 ammunition fired by the AH-64 Apache attack helicopter, the MX-109's 25mm ammunition has been judged to be 2.5 times more effective at destroying targets than a .50 caliber armor-piercing round. It is expected that this ammunition can penetrate nearly 40mm (an inch and a half) of armor plating at 500 meters, or blast open doors from around the corner. In other words, it gives the Soldier breaching capability on fortified positions, while minimizing exposure to enemy fire, thanks to its effectiveness at greater distances. Also in the works are a number of specialized rounds, ranging from solid core AP ammunition to non-lethal/ crowd control munitions utilizing inert rubber balls, and RC agents.

And also...

To enable the shooter to engage targets out to 2,500 meters, Barrett has developed an integrated ballistic computer/ riflescope system known as BORS (Barrett Optical Ranging System). Historically, long range shooting has been a highly technical endeavor in which the shooter had to make a number of calculations before the trigger could be pulled. These calculations included range to the target, the effects of barometric pressure and air temperature, and the type of ammunition loaded. BORS automatically calculates all these variables, and adjusts the sight reticule accordingly. All the shooter needs to do is enter the ammunition type into the BORS (using touch pads on the BORS console) determine the range (either mechanically or through a LRF) and crank the elevation knob on the scope until the proper range appears in the BORS display. The BORS automatically determines the temperature and barometric pressure, as well as the cant or tilt in the rifle itself, and incorporates these enviro-physical factors into its calculations. Once the proper range has been entered, the shooter need only put the target under the crosshairs and pull the trigger.

The Block I version of BORS is available now, while Block II (which will include an integrated range finder) is expected to become available in '05 with Block III (new optics, Night Vision capable, wide angle, stabilized image) becoming available in '06. Lastly, Barrett believes that the BORS system will be completely compatible with the 200mm air-bursting grenade featured on the OICW and that similar ammunition could be developed for use in the XM-109, as well as adapting the BORS to the OICW, to provide ranging and environmental information to the 20mm grenade launcher.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 11:54 PM
link   
That thing looks awesome, and I bet it packs a hell of a punch, are there any videos of this baby in action? I would love to see it. I mean hell, they mount 25mm on IFV's. How could one handle such a rifle. I believe it, but it blows my mind a human can handle the power of such a weapon.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 12:51 AM
link   
HOLY [removed censor circumvention]

Makes you wonder if the scope will go flying through the back of his head!

I wonder what needs one of them to be taken out?

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 4/27/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 03:54 AM
link   
And I thought that it fired the low velocity 25mm round employed by the OCSW? (Objective Crew Served Weapon).

That's crazy, that's having similar firepower of the Bradley's Bushmaster cannon on a scoped rifle! the recoil on that thing must be monstrous, even for a Barrett rifle!

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I don't know anything about weapons... but is that like 50 % smaller than the M-82...??

[edit on 28-4-2006 by Figher Master FIN]

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Chinese PLA has a quite similar weapon in use, but i assume that the Barret is much more accurate for point targets.
QLZ-87

In my opininion these kind of weapons are really valuable addition to infantry arsenal, since they give the grunts ability to reach out 500+ meters against fortified and armoured targets.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Could you kill a tank driver with it... Firing at the right position...

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I doubt you could kill a tank with it, maybe the commander if he were out of his hatch and manning the machine gun. But I seriously doubt youll penetrate the armor of a tank with this thing, modern armor seems to have defeated the anti-tank rifle. Unless theres some weapon out htere I'm not aware of. If there is someone bring it to my attention.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo
And I thought that it fired the low velocity 25mm round employed by the OCSW? (Objective Crew Served Weapon).

That's crazy, that's having similar firepower of the Bradley's Bushmaster cannon on a scoped rifle! the recoil on that thing must be monstrous, even for a Barrett rifle!

You are right with your first statement, the 25mm grenades we are speaking of here are not those that are fired by the Bushmaster cannons! The OCSW/XM-109 grenades are about 10cm long, the Bushmaster type is 22cm long and the cartridge has twice the diameter.

Moreover, the OCSW and XM-109 are effectively low-recoil 25mm grenade launchers, while the Bushmaster is a machine cannon. They are not comparable, neither in operating pressure, grenade weight nor velocity/recoil!

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 08:27 AM
link   
It can only penetrate 40mm at 500m? I expected allot more since the .50 robar aparrantly can penetrate 37mm at that range.

For penetration then id rather have the Gepard M6. My slightly calculated guess is that it can penetrate 50mm+ at 500m and is more accurate than the barret.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Looks like the sniper rifle from Halo.
What a blast that thing must be to fire.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Lonestar24,

>>
Moreover, the OCSW and XM-109 are effectively low-recoil 25mm grenade launchers, while the Bushmaster is a machine cannon. They are not comparable, neither in operating pressure, grenade weight nor velocity/recoil!
>>

I wouldn't put it that way. 2,600fps is vastly superior to the

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Well, I also call it a grenade launcher because the same grenade with a weaker charge is also meant to be used in the XM-25 squad grenade launcher. Of course the transition from bullet to grenade to shell can be fluent at times.

But I agree, this is an incredible firepower if it falls into the hands of a dedicated enemy. I however dont see it in the hands of a SOF team at all. IMO, the XM-109 would be especially useful in a direct confrontation (apart from the EOD purposes) - something SOFs should avoid anyway, being usually outnumbered and outgunned. I am however still unconvinced whether the concept flies, anyway.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Personally i think this gun is overkill considering the enemy america faces are very unlikely to need this gun considering they already have .50BMG and 40mm grenade launchers and AT-4 AT rockets.

Seems like a waste of money which the US army should actually spend on buying bullet proof vests and helmets for there troops rather then over priced over powered weapons which serve minimum tactical purposes on the battle field.

[edit on 27-4-2006 by iqonx]

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I think this weapon has its uses. I think I read something about how it was used in Iraq to disable personnel carriers or something of this nature.

It's simply a weapon very different from a genade launcher. It's a lot more accurate.

By the way, I encourage everybody to follow the link above and download the Lom video as many times as humanly possible. By doing this, you are leeching the terrorists' bandwidth and thus contribute to the fight against these criminals.

[edit on 27-4-2006 by Aelita]

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ludaChris
I doubt you could kill a tank with it

I bet if you hit the tracks in the right spot you could diable it.

Aelita, I have heard of barret .50 like the M82 disabling APCs in Iraq, so a 20mm would have no problem.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I wonder how it stacks up to the 14.5 mm APFSDS sniper rifle?? any opinions on a comparison??

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by urmomma158
I wonder how it stacks up to the 14.5 mm APFSDS sniper rifle?? any opinions on a comparison??

What is this? Who makes it? Got any pic link to it?

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I find it surpising that we haven't seen more use of this type of weapon by insurgents. I don't believe .50 cal etc sniper rifles are that hard to get hold of (do the Russians make one?), and I bet they'd go right through any body armor ever made, even at respectable ranges. Not sure how well Hummer armor would protect either.

Any thoughts on why this is?

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 07:24 AM
link   
To Fritz

I posted this in another thread a while back.

I will post it again for you.

It's the Steyr AMR / IWS 2000 Anti-material rifle made in austria although it never entered production:

Link To gun

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join