It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

XM109 Anti-Material rifle.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 07:30 AM
link   
To Wmbley

I also find that surprising as well. Also considering it is quite easily to make a single shot rifle im surprised the insurgents don't even have a single shot 12.7mm anti-material rifle considering saddam would have had tens of thousands those rounds in his country and if insurgents can get ahold of artilley and mortor shells im sure they could of easily got a hold of a few 12.7mm rounds and a anti-material rifle.

Although the ammo/rounds that saddam had where for heavy machine guns i'm sure the insurgents don't care and im pretty sure the ammo they use in the dragnov/SVD is not sniper quality either so it wouldnt really make much of a difference.

Could you imagine a battle field with insurgents using .50/12.7mm ammo and anti-material rifles that would be hell. And i'm 100% sure america/coalition would have had a much bigger death rate for it's troops.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Cheers, old boy.

I've already got that website on my favs but couldn't recall where I'd seen it before.

Many thanx, guy.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by fritz

Originally posted by urmomma158
I wonder how it stacks up to the 14.5 mm APFSDS sniper rifle?? any opinions on a comparison??

What is this? Who makes it? Got any pic link to it?

He speaks of that 14.5mm sniper rifle that is made by the same company that makes the 9mm pistol and the 7.62mm rifle, or was that another company?

Honestly, there are about 5 different rifles that come to my mind that fire the old Russian 14.5x114mm cartridge (most prominently the Hungarian Gepard M3 and the South African NTW, also available in the old german 20x83.5mm).

The attempts at making the 14.5mm Russian into an APFSDS however werent very successful, so I guess he speaks of the Austrian IWS 2000 - which is however not chambered in the 14.5mm Russian but a unique 15.2mm cartridge.

In terms of pure armor penetration the XM-109 25mm grenade however would most likely be compared to the APFSDS 14.5mm and 15.2mm as a thunderstorm compares to a Hurricane. This is however only a guess based on the different working principles of these cartridges.

Edit: Oops, I should have refreshed the page before writing that post

[edit on 28/4/2006 by Lonestar24]

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by fritz What is this? Who makes it? Got any pic link to it?
Sure no problem world.guns.ru...

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lonestar24

He speaks of that 14.5mm sniper rifle that is made by the same company that makes the 9mm pistol and the 7.62mm rifle, or was that another company?

Honestly, there are about 5 different rifles that come to my mind that fire the old Russian 14.5x114mm cartridge (most prominently the Hungarian Gepard M3 and the South African NTW, also available in the old german 20x83.5mm).

The attempts at making the 14.5mm Russian into an APFSDS however werent very successful, so I guess he speaks of the Austrian IWS 2000 - which is however not chambered in the 14.5mm Russian but a unique 15.2mm cartridge.

In terms of pure armor penetration the XM-109 25mm grenade however would most likely be compared to the APFSDS 14.5mm and 15.2mm as a thunderstorm compares to a Hurricane. This is however only a guess based on the different working principles of these cartridges.

Edit: Oops, I should have refreshed the page before writing that post

[edit on 28/4/2006 by Lonestar24]

That thing is a beast. I think the M109 can be indeed best be compared with Gepard 's 14.5 mm versions and similair.

[edit on 29-4-2006 by tomcat ha]

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   
tomcat ha stop compund quoting the mods will be very upset with you. I learned my lesson so stop.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ludaChris
That thing looks awesome, and I bet it packs a hell of a punch, are there any videos of this baby in action? I would love to see it. I mean hell, they mount 25mm on IFV's. How could one handle such a rifle. I believe it, but it blows my mind a human can handle the power of such a weapon.

Try to catch a rerun of the new "FutureWeapons" on Discovery Channel. They used the 0.50 cal version of it and blew apart some cinder blocks and stuff. They weren't allowed to get the explosive armor piercing rounds, but those kind can punch through the engine block of an Armored Personnel Vehicle reportedly.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Well, I wasn't saying that it was ANYWHERE comparable to a Bushmaster cannon, but it does fire a similar round (in diameter) at a relatively high-velocity, oh and I never said that the Bushmaster fired 25mm grenades either! lol, they are made to kill armored vehicles, generally are Armor-Piercing and High Explosive rounds.

That in it self is quite powerful, I was under the impression it was more of a grenade launcher type weapon opposed to being an Special-Application scoped rifle, but it's a little bit of both isn't it?

So is this a freshly developed round then...?

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by ch1466

The question then being who would want to field issue a weapon which is more dangerous, captured, than to any likely threat it could be used against.

What a strange concept - not deploying a weapon in case it gets captured. If that were a realistic/practical mindset, then we wouldn't deploy half of the kit we use.

As for the idea of not deploying a sharpshooter/sniper in case he gets DF'd, that is why snipers relocate after each target. They don't simply lie there and wait for the airstrike.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Methinks rifle because of the range... come to think of it more like cannon...

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Actually official classification should be a Light AT gun...
What's the velocity of the round and how does its trajectory go?

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   
OMG with things like the M107 and XM 109 our sniping force will be a whole lot deadlier. The recoil is low thanks to the springs,shock absorbers, and muzzle brakes. Cant wait for this thing to come out. I wonder if this will completely replace 7.62 snipers for good.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by urmomma158
OMG with things like the M107 and XM 109 our sniping force will be a whole lot deadlier. The recoil is low thanks to the springs,shock absorbers, and muzzle brakes. Cant wait for this thing to come out. I wonder if this will completely replace 7.62 snipers for good.

I can't see this happening any time soon. Weapons this size are great and all, but they lack the manouverability of 7.62mm weapons, a very important consideration for the sniper. They would also be difficult to conceal while deploying, and would give off a rather large sound signature after firing, which gives audio detection systems (not to mention the mark 1 ear) a greater chance of detecting the firer.

I foresee this being deployed in much the same way as the Barrett (think .50BMG on steroids), i.e. as an anti-material platform.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 04:16 AM
link   
I have to agree with Paddy.

These weapon systems produce one hell of a signature - just take a look at the muzzle brakes on the Barrett and the 25 mm ATR.

I can tell you they do absolutely 'nothing' to reduce muzzle flash. They just spread it about a bit. Paddy is also right when he sites noise as a signature source.

Noise travels great distances and appears to travel a greater distance at night. There is nothing quite like the human ear for pinpointing sudden noise.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Id still rather have the Gepard M6. According to my calculated guess it can penetrate about the same and you can carry more rounds.

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by tomcat ha
Id still rather have the Gepard M6. According to my calculated guess it can penetrate about the same and you can carry more rounds.

Of course you can BUT

The good old 7.62 mm Full Metal Jacket round is still tops for anti-personnel sniping.

Yeah! Fine! You can slot some poor blagger from a couple of miles away but a point 50 round is overkill. In reality, a waste of money.

No my friends I still reckon 7.62 milly is still the king round for snipers. Save the big guns for bigger game - like soft APC's.

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 07:20 AM
link   

The good old 7.62 mm Full Metal Jacket round is still tops for anti-personnel sniping.

No my friends I still reckon 7.62 milly is still the king round for snipers. Save the big guns for bigger game - like soft APC's.

Nope, its too slow and has a bad ballistic curve. Thats why special longrange ammunition like .300 Winmag or .338 Lapua Magnum become more and more prevalent around the world.

I however agree that 7.62 is the best compromise cartridge for snipers since it is readily available and the weapons arent such idiotically huge metal lumps.

[edit on 11/5/2006 by Lonestar24]

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lonestar24

Nope, its too slow and has a bad ballistic curve. Thats why special longrange ammunition like .300 Winmag or .338 Lapua Magnum become more and more prevalent around the world.

I however agree that 7.62 is the best compromise cartridge for snipers since it is readily available and the weapons arent such idiotically huge metal lumps.

[edit on 11/5/2006 by Lonestar24]

Oh well. Nice to get a compliment for a change - even if it is backhanded.

At least we agree that the Barrett and the 25mm LTR are way too large for anti-personnel sniping. We do - don't we?

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   
That's why they are called Anti material rifles

.338 Lapua Mag rifles aren't much larger or heavier than 7.62s but they offer huge advantages in ranges over 800m and they do give a sniper limited AT/AMR cabability (.338 AP round punces straight through BTR-80 front plates)

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   
give this a drum and you could pick it in every platoon or squad!

its the rebirth of the anti-tank gun from ww1 and ww2 wont kill a tank but everything else is yummy meat to it! Barrett is making from great stuff including the ,468 6.8mm!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join