It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Go to one place in history, where?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 11:00 PM
link   
If you could go to one event or place in history, what or where would it be?

For example, if I could go back in time I would like to go to the Library at Alexandria at it's height. I have always wonder what was in the largest repository of knowledge the ancient world ever had, and what knowledge slipped away from us when it met it's demise.

What is the once place or event that you would go to?

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

If you could go to one event or place in history, what or where would it be?

...I would like to go to the Library at Alexandria...

I vote for the Library as well. I think it is safe to say we might be two kids in a candy store.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I wouldn't mind going to Germany in 1931 and just hit Hitler over the head with some thing vary heavy. And I would not even tell him why.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I definitely would go to Rome during the middle of the empire or The Italian/French Renassaince. Where Thinkers were appreciated, and not drugged to be "normal", or had to be drugged to fit in.

-ADHD

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Woodstock '69.... I came along just a few years too late! ;-)

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 02:45 AM
link   
I would have to say, going back to see the building of the Pyramids, I'd make sure I got some video evidence too

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Ahh! but WHEN would THAT be Madhatter. According to the pundits you could be a few thousand years too EARLY OR a few thousand years too LATE!

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 04:31 AM
link   
cool thread

ooooo.......its a toughy this...........tuesday, last week, about 6.30......

Gf cooked some lovely Gammon and chips.......

lol...no seriously.......id like to have seen the dinosaurs and early man (from a very safe box or something T-Rex, Velociraptor proof)

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Got to agree seeing live dinosaurs would be pretty darn cool

either that or the year 0 to see a certain individual rise from the dead or not...either way...

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by firebat
Woodstock '69.... I came along just a few years too late! ;-)

ditto!!

especially to see jimi hendrix, i was just a few decades too late unfortunately

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I have always wanted to live in Southern California in the era of the great rancheros (early mid 1800's). Of course I would want to live on a ranchero, own it. But it would be neat to see the Southern California landscape before the pavement, housing, millions of people.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Garden of Eden to try and talk Eve outta believing the serpent and thus preventing the fall of mankind into servitude in this place. Not sure if it would have helped but what the heck.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I'd like to visit the Transition in Southwestern Europe, during the time between the Upper and Middle Palaeolithic (45,000 years ago). It'd be interesting to see how Neanderthals and Homo Sapiens got along.

I'd also really enjoy being involved in the group that did the paintings in the Lascaux cave.

www.culture.gouv.fr...

edit to add link

[edit on 24-4-2006 by masqua]

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cowboy1
Ahh! but WHEN would THAT be Madhatter. According to the pundits you could be a few thousand years too EARLY OR a few thousand years too LATE!

Ahh, but that's exactly why I'd like to go there. If you went back to the "official" time of it's construction you'd either get to see an amazing monument being built, or an already ancient machine that might still be working...

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I would like to go back to the old west when "men were men" and everybody knew when you were angry because you could snarl and be ugly to people. And you could walk with a manly swagger.

Those were the days!!

Or maybe the pirate days and sail the bounding main.

[edit on 24-4-2006 by whaaa]

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
I would like to go back to the old west when "men were men" and everybody knew when you were angry because you could snarl and be ugly to people. And you could walk with a manly swagger.

Those were the days!!

And then you'd get shot in the back.

Personally I think I would want to visit Rome at its height. Front row tickets to the Colosseum please

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Scenerio: I've got the Doc. Brown's Delorean and I'm running from some Libyan terrorists who just killed the Doc. I've got enough fuel for one trip, and I have to find one place in history where someone could have possibly been able to help me get back. The Delorean has a full tank of gas.

I go to 10,500BC.
Apparently, there is a point in history where the pyramids would have matched exactly with Orion's belt.

At that same time the Sphynx would have alligned perfectly with Leo.

A series of temples called Ankor Wat would have alligned perfectly with the constelation Draco.

This time would have been about 10,500. BC
If anyone in the history of the world could have possibly helped me, they may have been around then. And if not, I've got a full tank of gas to drive somewhere nice, and my leatherman.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cowboy1

You do make a good point
Well I guess I would have to take a tripod and set up some kind of time lapse photography thing.

The other option of course is to pop in and out periodacally untill something happens. Time consuming though.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   
1. March 10, 1847--The American River, California Territory.

Ten days after the Bear Republic became U.S. Territory, and the day that beachfront property goes on sale in San Francisco; more importantly, I'll have nearly 9 months to carry off all the gold I can muscle before construction of the new mill will cause explorers to discover gold in the river . . .

2. July 15, 1987 --- Dallas, Texas

A runaway economy in the oilpatch means workers are needed, so it'd be easy to find a job. More importantly, I have about 90 days to borrow enough money to short the stocks of the Dow Jones industrial Average---just before it's fall to the 52-year low, and then I'd be there for the first week in november, which would mark the low point for the next 20 years.
(I had originally thought of October 29, 1929; but then I thought about it and decided that I wouldn't want to have to live through the ensuing Great Depression and its misery, followed by WWII.)

3. Any date in the year 55 BC ---- The Royal Library, Bruchion District of Alexandria, Egypt.

(And you people thought all I cared about was money!) While the exact date of the destruction of the Alexandrian Library is unknown (variously blamed on Julius Caesar, Christians, or Muslims) this date would put me in the nieghborhood a decade before the first supposed arsonist--Caesar, would have had a chance to burn it down. I'd have enough time to convince the curators that I needed in, and could begin copying lost tomes. Like say Plato's missing works (in which he may have mentioned Atlantis?), Masterpieces of Greek philosophy and geography, the calculations of Hipparchus, The works of Pythagoras, The law codes of the pharoahs, lost poems of Homer and Virgil, etc.

The real question is, would you allow me to take stuff back with me, and then return, or do I go back in history forever, with nothing but the clothes on my back. It ultimately affects my choice a great deal.

[edit:]

Curses!!!

I just reread the very first post and saw that Everybody wants the Library! Fine, be that way! Give me the Temple in Jerusalem 848 B.C. Before Pharaoh Shoshek loots the temple. I get the Ark, and Pharaoh gets the blame! (but do I dare to open it, and get melted like those Nazis?
)

[edit on 24-4-2006 by dr_strangecraft]

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 06:19 PM
link   
i would like to have met jesus or the budda. my second choice would of been 1942, so i could of witnessed stephen hawkings birth and possibly of touched the smartest baby ever, or the end of 2001 a space odyssey so i could of completed the final evolution of man with dave bowman

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join