It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Latino Activists Record US anthem in Spanish?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Two weeks before the song came out the media here in the states paraded out this generalized querry as to whether the national anthem should be changed because it was 'just too difficult to sing'. The Today Show had a segment, AOL polled off it's home page and CNN and MSNBC all did segments. This folks was the set-up for this song. The song was created to reduce the anthem to merely a song with no real nationalized referrence. Follow the bouncing ball. It's just to easy to not see!

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
I’m not saying that the people who recorded this song have no right to do it, just that I think its disrespectful, is there something wrong with that?

Not at all. Not as far as I'm concerned. There's nothing 'wrong' with taking offense. It's a choice we all have to make. My point is that for all of those who got down on the Muslims for taking offense at a cartoon, saying, "It's just a cartoon!", here you are standing in their shoes. And I'm saying, "It's just a song." I'm just making a point, as I am wont to do. What you do with it is entirely up to you.

I wonder ... can any of you say for certainty, without looking it up during which war our National Anthem was written? Bonus points for those who know the circumstances around the writing of the song. And triple bonus to anyone who can name the fort where the Star Spangled Banner waved.

Which war?

Civil War
The American Revolution
The War of 1812
World War II

Now, I don't care about the answers and if you write them here, it will ruin it for everyone else, but I just wonder if all this feather-ruffling and plume displaying has any real meat behind it. In other words, do you really know what particularly it is that you're so all-fired upset about?

No need to answer, it's just me making another point. But if you're going to keep whining that someone is singing 'your' song in another language, the least you could do is look it up and educate yourselves about the circumstances around this song you apparently hold so precious...

You might find feelings of pride and patriotism squeezing out those feelings of anger and petty possessiveness. You just might gain an understanding of why someone who doesn't speak English might want to be a part of something so... cool.

Just a thought.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   
EDITED for content.

[edit on 4-5-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   
And that's for all those Bad Hollywood Versions of Great European and Asian Movies!

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 11:23 AM
link   

I know all of those off the top of my head,

Well thank you for ruining it for everyone else! I knew you knew! Jesus!

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 11:36 AM
link   
The events surrounding it's writing have always troubled me. Our national anthem is just a battle hymn. It's a song that glorifies destruction and war. And after all of the war and destruction, the flag will stand strong. Why can't it be about happiness, and sunshine. And the flag waving in front of a rainbow or something. Personally whenever the national anthem is played, I just sing Rapper's Delight by the Sugarhill Gang. I like it better, and think it represents the country so much better.

I hope I didn't just disrespect our entire nation by telling people how I feel about the song.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Well thank you for ruining it for everyone else! I knew you knew! Jesus!

Sorry BH, I really am, but I didn't see that part of your post when I wrote mine.

By the way, our nation was founded on War and we have had to fight for its sovereignty a few times so I think it does represent us fairly well. And the song to me is about hardship, perseverance and triumph.

[edit on 4-5-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 06:41 PM
link   
"WAR, hoo, good god yall, what is it good for? Absolutely nothin'"

I'll say it again....
no I won't

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
"WAR, hoo, good god yall, what is it good for? Absolutely nothin'"

Umm... well to me that’s a vast general statement, and its wrong, the US wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for the War of Independence. And if you cant see events in history where war has actually helped then I cant help you.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Sorry BH, I really am, but I didn't see that part of your post when I wrote mine.

It's all right. Nobody probably cares that much anyway. And that's kind of the point I was making. They care more about someone singing 'their' song that what the song means or the history of its writing.

By the way, our nation was founded on War and we have had to fight for its sovereignty a few times so I think it does represent us fairly well. And the song to me is about hardship, perseverance and triumph.

I totally agree.

Sometimes war has been necessary.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 11:27 PM
link   
holy mackerel!
Can someone explain to me why only now I'm learning that the star spangled banner has three more stanzas than I was taught in school? I understand that no one really sings them but it would be nice if someone had clued me in.

At any rate our anthem should be about war. Peace is great and I am largely anti-war but we should never forget that our ideals were born of struggle and that we must maintain vigilance that those ideals are never subverted no matter the cost. I always considered the last line (actually apparently the last line of the first stanza) to be especially moving.

O say does that star spangled banner yet wave
O’er the land of the free, and the home of the brave?

It's always meant to me that we must never allow our nation to be subverted from the freedom it is supposed to represent. That our flag should never fly over an America that makes a mockery of the ideals under which it was founded.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 01:57 PM
link   
i see why people could have a problem with this, but i wouldnt have a problem.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   
This is just too much. I can understand why people have no problem with this, but it's really the context and the response in which this song is being USED as. It's being used as a rally cry for pro illegal rights demonstrators - AND THAT is my biggest problem.

Instead of showing support for assimilation, they have arrogantly CHOSE to NOT assimilate into our culture and language by using a Spanish version of our national anthem.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by HiddenReality

I hope you don't confuse the entire american population with one post that someone makes. There still are hardworking americans that believe in the values this country was built on, thanks.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
I would like to hear a country, rock or hip hop remix of Puerto Rico's, Mexico's and Spain's national anthems in English... Would be fun.. Dontcha think??

Well im from Venezuela so im hispanic, here you have the anthem of my country in different styles, i know more but i could not find them in the internet.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

This is the real version

www.youtube.com...

In indian languages

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

And yes, is fun.

BTW, this is the real and original version of the anthem, from 1810, is a song against Napoleon and in support of the King of Spain

www.goear.com...

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Mexico's National Anthem doesn't even sound like Hispanic Music!
What a disappointment... No wonder they want a different one! This one is pretty sad. I think they should remix IT while they're at it.

[edit on 24-4-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

Can you tell me what is hispanic music for you? we have so much different kinds of rythms.

[edit on 2-9-2010 by MonteroReal]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Nerdling

You do realize that Freedom of Speech also allows criticism right?

Just because he disagrees with it doesn't mean it's a freedom of speech issue. Its only a freedom of speech issue if he would not support the right for them to have it.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join