It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Latino Activists Record US anthem in Spanish?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

So the purpose of these cartoons was not to make people laugh, it was a political statement, having to do with censorship and Freedom of Speech.

The Real Story

And thanks.

Yes you are right. Now that I recall it was about freedom of the press more so then for humor. I stand corrected, but still want to make it clear that it was radical Islamics who inserted the truly offensive cartoons that was never done by the Danes of that I am sure. There were two sets one with and one w/o offensive cartoons and the Danes only published those w/o any offensive materials.

Jumps all over broken spelling checker before hitting edit button

[edit on 4/25/2006 by shots]

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

I would be more than happy to make a Paella, my dead uncle's recipe direct from Spain.

I think Shots is onto me.

Nah thanks for the invite, but I have my own little special place on the west side of Mallorca in Puerto de Soller where they make the best in all of Spain and I lived there for 8 years

And no I do not think it is the cook either, I would say it is more in the ingredients used and where they came from. Then of course you have to use a real/authentic (huge)paella pan along with those ingredients. In addition it has to be cooked the old way over any open wood fire.

Checks over shoulder

to make sure he is not followed by tg or Marg after posting

[edit on 4/25/2006 by shots]

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots

Originally posted by Nerdling
Got a problem with freedom of speech?

No not at all. I do however have a problem with their playing it to a Latin rhythm/beat

It would be completely different if they just made a Spanish translation like the French did with O Canada but that is not the case and even the French did not change the beat of their anthem.

[edit on 4/23/2006 by shots]

Actually. the French version of O Canada is not a litteral translation. It's almost completely different...

English Translation of the French Version of the National Anthem

O Canada! Land of our forefathers
Thy brow is wreathed with a glorious garland of flowers.
As in thy arm ready to wield the sword,
So also is it ready to carry the cross.
Thy history is an epic of the most brilliant exploits.

Ch.
Thy valour steeped in faith
Will protect our homes and our rights
Will protect our homes and our rights.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   
President Bush just said in a live interview that he thinks the national anthem should be sung in English and all imigrants who wish to be citizens should learn to speak English. Wow, I guess he told me!

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Just saw on the News that the recording is to be released at 6:00 p.m. EDST today.

According to them it will be on several Spanish speaking stations at that time. Now will have to wait and see how they killed it.

I am with bush though it should be in English and English should be made our national language either you speak it or don't let the door hit you on the way out

I can remember when I got my orders for duty in Spain, with the orders came an order to attend a Spanish course for 6 months before shipping out to Spain and once there I had to take daily class two hours a day for another 6 months.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I agree with Bush for once the national anthem should maintain it's integrity and it's historical value in the language that was created.

Even some Mexican activist point out to the fact that is wrong to change the American anthem the same way that would be wrong to change the Mexican one.

I believe that if we come into this country that already has it's roots and history set we should show respect and abide by those roots and take them into our own alone with our own roots.

But the original roots of the country we live in are the ones to be prioritize.

We should add to the history no change it.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
Ahaha I swear I think you people who complain about this just want to complain to have something to complain about. The fact of the matter is, these immigrants are here to stay. Their numbers are going to grow, their influence on politics and culture will grow, and so will the number of American families who are intermarrying and having multi-cultural children with them.

It is inevitable. I think they should remix it with daddy yankee putting his own spin on it. I would definetly jam it on my 15" subwoofers in the car! Look we love America. Many are fighting to stay here. Our country is beautiful and awesome. Our population will swell to beyond just a "minority"in the coming years, no matter how many walls, how big they are, or how many boats you keep on your coasts.

Want a job picking fruit? Fine learn to live witht heir pay and be happy with it. Most of them are happy with what they get. Maybe its a sign some of us should be happy with less.

I love the beat, keep the REMIXES coming. I want to hear a Reggea version of it, I want to hear an African tribal remix. I want to hear every remix we can make, from every other immigrant group and their native cultures because that is true unity and multi-culterism. Thats called accepting people and their views and their cultures.

We should stop this "this is our version from our culture and you must not change the beat, even though the song represents the freedom to be allowed to do such things. Assimilate and abandon your ideas!!"
Silly people life is too short to be worried about the chicos creating their own beat to a country both of you love.

Seriously though, I definetly want to hear a reggae beat and some others too. In fact, I want to hear something with a beat from arabic type music. Sure you can call me a terrorist, ill will enjoy it none-theless.

DYepes,

I have to commend you on your words. They truly have vision.

Brother from another Mother,

Marz

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I'm glad the French didn't feel the same as the US when English Canadians took their song, translated it to English and then changed a bunch a words. I think it would suck if we all had to sing the anthem in French.

Originally posted by sensfan
Actually. the French version of O Canada is not a litteral translation. It's almost completely different...

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I heard the song on the radio this morning but i was half asleep-comatose.

Does anyone have the link to it already? I'd like to know if the words reflect the same meaning.
One thing we have to understand is that the translation cannot be word for word the exact same. But i want it to be translated as closely as possible.

If anyone knows where i can get it, let me know- I have Limewire, i'll look there-After all the day after Chris Daughtry sang "Have you ever loved a woman" on Idol, at 6am there were already 300 hits on that service.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkelf
President Bush just said in a live interview that he thinks the national anthem should be sung in English

I assume he meant exclusively... It isn't the first time he's come out against Free Speech. And I doubt it will be the last.

and all imigrants who wish to be citizens should learn to speak English.

I actually think they should, too. For their own benefit. They'll get along better. But it's their choice.

Originally posted by marg6043
I agree with Bush for once the national anthem should maintain it's integrity and it's historical value in the language that was created.

It will! It's not like they're taking the English one away! They're not changing anything. They're adding something different. They're not touching our National Anthem!

(I can't believe we disagree on something!)

We should add to the history no change it.

That's exactly what they're doing...

And there are already at least 3 other Spanish Versions of the US National Anthem... But nobody told us to get upset about those...

bogota.usembassy.gov...

[edit on 28-4-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   
This is such a touchy subject with me. I firmly believe that our National Anthem should be respected. It should stay the same, and all should stand up when they hear it with hats off and right hand over chest. Unfortunatly its not going to happen. Yea freedom of speach this and that. IMO if they wanted to truely show America respect then they would sing it the way it has been sung from the begining. I have been so dissapointed though on how even Americans have become slackers in the respect our flag area. At my son's school concert - for instance - would you believe that after all these 1st graders learned the National Anthem, not a single person stood up? (I was already standing in the back)

I am not going to just throw my hands in the air on this one though. I firmly believe that the song should be respected. I was so tempted to start walking around tapping people and telling them to stand. So, I dont know what is worse, no one standing for the song, or it being redone in spanish. Yes they have the freedom to sing it however they want, BUT I will not take it as being respectfull. I will see it as being used as a tool to get what they want.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Spanish people are bullheaded (xcept me
) and they all tend to congregate in certain areas so they can go right on speaking Spanish. I always thought that was silly. They should do themselves a favor and learn English, after all they are here.

But Americans can benefit from understanding Spanish too. After all in this continent, we have English and Spanish predominantly. Its great to know a couple of languages. I went to Paris years ago, and the fact that i knew French was a great advantage for my group. I'm lucky- i'm covered.

See, if you know Spanish, you can easily communicate with Italians, Portugese, Brazilians. If you know English, even better. If you know French, even better.
And by the way, this is a little known fact. Since i know Spanish, i can read latin and pick up many words derived from latin in Spanish. Bonus: I can also understand Russian if spoken very slowly. Many of their words are also similar to Spanish.
It is wonderful to at least understand people.
I may not have mastered my English to the point where i can post "highly intellectual" sounding posts, but i get by.

People benefit by opening up their horizons.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Look into Adam Kidron. He's a Brit who all of a sudden has empathy for Mexicans. Yeah right!!!!!! This whole thing reeks of Tavistock. Blighty, exporting the blight.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   
www.msnbc.msn.com...

[edit on 28-4-2006 by alphacenturi]

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Benevolent Heretic

Is ok to disagree that is what makes us so unique as a species.

I am not angry or upset about the national anthem or any other anthem including my Puerto Rican one to be in other language people do that for many reasons.

But taking in consideration that the issue of the protest and the flashing of the Mexican flag with certain connotations about their rights is very touchy for many.

Specially the die hard patriots in our nation.

Take that and the wrong timing to start singing the American national anthem in Spanish and you are going to get some really angry patriots around.

I see it as an issue that like another poster said before me of Respect.

If these people are protesting the rights to be in our country they should be promoting assimilation not the contrary.

Is just a personal opinion BH

Now Dg you are so right we can be so multi bilingual thanks to be able to use to main languages.

[edit on 28-4-2006 by marg6043]

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
The song is totally beautiful. I still get the same feeling I get when I hear it in English...

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 03:13 PM
link   

The song is totally beautiful. I still get the same feeling I get when I hear it in English...

Yes I heard the anthem in Spanish, and because I am fluent in the language it may sound beautiful but trust me is not the same.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 03:21 PM
link   
No, it's not the same. It's not supposed to be the same. It's supposed to be different.

Side note: This is so strange, you and I taking opposite sides of this argument. It would seem we're a bit switched around.
And I'd like to clarify that I agree with you that all these issues coming together at the same time - people are bound to get upset and start trouble. But I for one don't think the timing is accidental...

And I see this situation as very similar to the Muslim cartoon situation. Hopefully US citizens don't take after the offended, 'disrespected' Muslims and start rioting in protest.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 03:51 PM
link   

And I'd like to clarify that I agree with you that all these issues coming together at the same time - people are bound to get upset and start trouble. But I for one don't think the timing is accidental...

You are right is not accidental. . . and the anthem has been translated before into other languages and nobody make any fuss at it.

But now is becoming and issue and I believe that the media is making it an issue.

You know that we have some very patriotic people in America and many disagree with illegal immigration strongly so add a Spanish American anthem and what you get.

Some really hot issues against immigration laws.
plus perhaps some confrontations.

I imagine that many anti immigrants will want to see something gone wrong on Monday that will make all the protesters look bad, I am glad I live in GA things around here are not that bad.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 05:10 PM
link   

www.msnbc.msn.com...

"Even our Spanish media are saying, 'Why are we doing this, what are you trying to do?' " said Pedro Biaggi, the morning host with El Zol (99.1 FM), the most popular Hispanic radio station in the Washington area. "It's not for us to be going around singing the national anthem in Spanish. . . . We don't want to impose, we don't own the place. . . . We want to be accepted."

I think they butchered the song. Even BH's western version had more class then that piece of junk, hell even the Latino media agrees.

Seems I am not alone either by their poll

What do you think about a Spanish-language version of the 'Star-Spangled Banner'? * 104816 responses

Great. This version reflects the multicultural country the United States has become.
13%

Awful. This version represents a rejection of assimilation into U.S. society.
81%

I'm not sure.
5.5%
Not a scientific survey.

I hate to say this but I think that song may cause some serious problems come monday.

[edit on 4/28/2006 by shots]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join