It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Latino Activists Record US anthem in Spanish?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 07:50 PM
link   
You know, what makes the Spanish language and Latinos so special? There are hundreds of nationalities in the US yet how many of them whine because not everything is translated into their language? How many of them refuse to learn English and choose to be ignorant about US history and culture? How many of them disrespect our National Anthem by refusing to sing it in its historical context? How many of them walk around carrying the flag of their birth country over the US? :shk:

I know a lot of Latinos who came here legally and who took classes to learn English, and who took that extra time to learn our culture and history. Now, immigrants like that I would welcome with open arms and would have no problem calling them Americans. However the ones that come here and refuse to learn English and refuse to learn our culture should be given two choices, assimilate or go back home and enjoy yourself there. Bush is right on this one, English is our de facto language and as far as I’m concerned should be our official one. I’ll be dammed if I let some tell me I have learn Spanish to make these immigrants feel more at home.

Now I realize that not all Latinos or Spanish speaking people are this way, and as I already mentioned above I know of several examples where just the opposite is true.

Just my thoughts, C'mon let those comments flow right in.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Westpoint, when are you gonna run for senator?

You know what's funny though? Those people that are "protesting" are trying to bunch LEGAL and ILLEGAL immigrants together. That just pisses the living # out of me. They are spitting on immigration and what it stands for... They are spitting on the fact that MY FATHER came here legally, went through the whole damn process, learned English, and contributed to the American society. They are making a mockery out of that by justifying illegal immigration by what LEGAL immigrants have done.

The May 1 protest is just plain ridiculous. Boycotting American goods because we are trying to SECURE our border and STOP ILLEGAL migration? Honestly, WHAT GIVES THEM the right to cut everyone in line, skip the process, avoid taxes, recieve free social benefits, AND DEMAND AMNESTY OR ELSE THEY WILL STOP BUYING "ANYTHING GRINGO?"

I am getting flame up my ass just thinking about this... I hope to God that the senators will look past the threat of the Hispanic voters and do what they BELIEVE is best for America.

As Theodore Roosevelt stated, "For an American citizen to vote as a German-American, an Irish-American, or an English-American, is to be a traitor to American institutions." I'm just hoping for even a few Hispanics to take heed to what Roosevelt said and instead of voting as a Hispanic, vote as an AMERICAN.'

[edit on 28-4-2006 by k4rupt]

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 02:51 AM
link   
I really wish people would stop acting like Hispanics "whine" about learning English that we're the only ones who take pride in our heritage and fly the flag of our ancestral lands at times. I'm sick of the stereotype that hispanics don't integrate. I'm sick of self proclaimed patriots who freak out when they see a Mexican flag but don't even blink when an Irish flag gets displayed on St. Patrick's day. It's offensive and I'm tired of it. This isn't about assimilation it's about intolerance and stereotype. Why are we still acting as if Hispanics are pushing for bilingual public anthem ceremonies when thats clearly not the case? This is an isolated political statement made in protest with no effect on our society at large. They're not about to start forcing people to sing it at the grand series!

Enough with the intellectual laziness!

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 03:31 AM
link   
You might as well just start chanting the following....

"And so, my fellow Americans, ask not what I can do for your country; ask what your country can do for me."

I don't care if you're from Mexico/Africa/Philippines/Russia...all illegals should be shipped back. If they want to become legal citizens then they should do so properly.

If the reason why we can’t ship back the 11 million illegals is because of costs then I’m willing to vote on a new tax that would be used to solely fund this project. I’m willing to bet that more than half the voters would vote ‘YAY’ if such a tax was brought to the ballot.

I know first hand the amount of stress illegals put on services used to help people get back on their feet….services paid by U.S. citizens…..

Still think we should gradually turn those 11 million illegals to U.S. citizens?

Think about this…

Suppose an illegal alien….over the age of 65….becomes a U.S. Citizen. Even if that person didn’t work a single day in his/her life in the United States…that person can still receive Social Security. YES! It’s true! So…by the time some of us are old enough to draw Social Security…there may not be enough…This might force some to ask for financial help from their children.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I hate to say its beautiful- The words, most of them have been changed, but it is respectful.

And i dont have a problem with it. Its very complimentary to America, and like i said before, they will not be playing it at the Super Bowl.

So relax. It's not going to hurt you or me or anybody else.

Side note: I think you should all understand that it is extremely difficult for someone to speak English if they are say, over 30. People cannot absorb English very well at this stage in their lives. I learned English when i was 7 and i soaked it up like a sponge, because i was young.
Though i do think they speak enough to get by. But they do. Spanish people like to speak spanish.
An example: When i lived in Arizona, i workd at a call center as supervisor. The latins there would be constantly calling me over to take the call. THE PROBLEM? the callers were complaining because they had an accent and didnt want someone with an accent. So we created Spanish and English sections, and that alleviated the problem greatly.
Lots of people dont want to deal with hispanics because they claim their English is hard to understand. These people did try to work in English- but by popular demand and in order for our company to keep the accounts they had, we had to separate them. Americans also dont try to help-

[edit on 29-4-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by boogyman
I really wish people would stop acting like Hispanics "whine" about learning English that we're the only ones who take pride in our heritage and fly the flag of our ancestral lands at times. I'm sick of the stereotype that hispanics don't integrate. I'm sick of self proclaimed patriots who freak out when they see a Mexican flag but don't even blink when an Irish flag gets displayed on St. Patrick's day.

Um... this isn't St. Patrick's day. Those Hispanics are protesting so that ILLEGALS should receive amnesty... The funny thing is they fly Mexican flags in demanding American citizenship. Sure, you guys are not the only ones flying the flags of your ancestral lands, but you guys are damn well the only ones doing so while demanding citizenship for illegals. No other minority group in this country has called on a walk-out day, changed our anthem into Spanish, call for "gringos" to get out of America, and protest IN SPANISH all because they think that entering this country illegally should be rewarded. How dare they ILLEGALLY enter this country and DEMAND that we change and assimilate INTO THEIR culture.

This is America... if you come here illegally, the least you can do is respect our culture, language, flag, and national anthem.

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
It's freedom of speech.

You either support it or you don't.

Not quite...

-I support freedom of speech used by legal citizens of the United States.

-I do not support illegal aliens using their "freedom of speech" "granted" to them by the constitution to protest against kicking out people who have no right to be in the United States.

Ex) Illegal aliens are suing a town in the New England for not allowing them to assemble. They say it violates their constitutional rights. Um yea either the constitution has changed or these people have not actually read the constitution...illegals are not granted constitutional rights last time i checked...

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by enlightened_smurf

I do believe the people recording the song are in the US entirely legally.

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Ok, these people can make and play all the songs they want, but the people that are illegaly in this country have no right to be here and do not have any constitutional rights to protest or doing any other things that LEGAL CITIZENS have the right to do.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   
A little backround on who could only be described as a ramble-rouser.

www.rense.com...

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Hello Friends:

I may become un-popular person here,but I can't
see any thing rong with the U.S. anthem in spanish.

The U.S. had invaded many countries and taken many
territories and puched the coulture of the U.S. down many
people throats.

Many times your federal governtment had told other countries
: You can not make busines with this and that countries.

So the U.S. Anthem in spanish it was only a question of time.

[edit on 5/3/2006 by warriorwolfpr]

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Ahhhh, so they're not illegal aliens.....
...just backstabbing, anti-American traitors.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by warriorwolfpr
Hello Friends:

I may become un-popular person here,but I can't
see any thing rong with the U.S. anthem in spanish.

The U.S. had invaded many countries and taken many
territories and puched the coulture of the U.S. down many
people throats.

Many times your federal governtment had told other countries
: You can not make busines with this and that countries.

So the U.S. Anthem in spanish it was only a question of time.

[edit on 5/3/2006 by warriorwolfpr]

Uh... You missed out the WHOLE POINT.

First of all, this whole debate is about illegal immigration and how they want to become American citizens. Even if you disregard the FACT that they came here ILLEGALLY... in becoming a US Citizen, one should assimilate into American culture and society (obviously). In singing the National Anthem in Spanish, it shows EXACTLY how much those illegals WANT to assimilate into America and become true citizens. They come here ILLEGALLY, DEMAND RIGHTS AND BENEFITS, AND FAIL TO EVEN SHOW THAT THEY HAVE A SLIGHT WILL TO ASSIMILATE INTO AMERICA.. RATHER THEY WANT AMERICA TO ASSIMILATE INTO THEIR CULTURE AND LANUAGE AND MAKE US GO OUT OF OUR WAY TO MAKE THEM FEEL AT "HOME." Did I forget to mention they came here illegally?

It's quite ridiculous... These protestors. Their ignorance has truly worked for them. Now EVERYONE thinks it is a protest about IMMIGRANT rights. There is no issue about Immigrants being debated in Congress, the only and real issue is how to deal with ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS which is a whole different topic. Now, people are afraid to talk against these protestors thinking they will be branded a racist or an anti-immigrant. Completely ridiculous, immigration is NOT being discussed at all... It is ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by k4rupt
Uh... You missed out the WHOLE POINT.

I don't think so. This thread, called "Latino Activists Record US anthem in Spanish?" is about a song being recorded in Spanish, not illegal immigrants or protesters or becoming a US citizen or rights.

There are no rules about how one should assimilate into American culture. That's an opinion.

I don't support illegal immigration, but you have no room to tell someone that they missed the point after that rant.

And the song is a song is a song. There were already at least 3 other Spanish versions of our National Anthem. It's the US citizens making such a big deal of this that's causing all the uproar. It's a song.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Can someone explain to me why this "anthem in spanish" thing is a big deal? It's supposed to be a honour, something they did to prove they assimilated.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Well... this song was made in response to help with the "protest" against the passing of stricter illegal immigration policies. By singing this song in Spanish rather than in English, it just proves HOW much they are willing to assimilate into America.

Hey, if you come here illegally and actually have the NERVE to demand equal rights as citizens, the least you can do is respect our culture, flag, anthem, and language. Dont ya think?

[edit on 3-5-2006 by k4rupt]

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Reading this post was delightful, funny, interesting and....a little bit scary. But, I just have to say one thing about the comment regarding "God Save the Queen".

Ever hear of a 'lil song called, "My Country, Tis of Thee"? I'd be darned if it had the same tune as "God Save the Queen". The song was written in 1831 and sung for the majority of the 19th Century as the national anthem:

Wikipedia.com

"My Country, 'Tis of Thee," also known as "America," is an American patriotic song. The melody comes from the British national anthem, God Save the Queen and the German "Kaiserhymne". The same melody is the national anthem of Liechtenstein and has served as an anthem for Denmark, Germany, Russia, Sweden and Switzerland.

The lyrics to "My Country, 'Tis of Thee" were written in 1831 by Reverend Samuel Francis Smith of Boston's Park Street Church while at the Andover Theological Seminary in Andover, Massachusetts. The song served as a de facto national anthem for much of the 19th century.

Did the British tar and feather Rev. Samuel Francis Smith over his rendition of "God Save the Queen"? Did England declare a state of war against the U.S. because this man subverted the English song and remade it into a patriotic tune? Were there howls of despair over Rev. Smith's work? No, to all the questions.

Americans (once colonized by the British) wrote a song based on the British national anthem. They changed the lyrics and kept the song. Sounding pretty familiar?

So, don't you think that picking on the National Anthem in Spanish a little tacky, if not petty?

Let there be a rainbow of renditions honoring our country. It's not out of disrespect. It brings us closer to a multi-cultural society in which these things ought to be celebrated. Each group has their particular way to celebrate Americanism. There isn't one set way. Leave those lyricists and singers alone with their treatment of the National Anthem. It could only serve to complement us in the long run, if you let it.

[edit on 5-5-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by k4rupt
Hey, if you come here illegally and actually have the NERVE to demand equal rights as citizens, the least you can do is respect our culture, flag, anthem, and language. Dont ya think?

I really don't care what they respect. Illegal Immigrants have broken the law and that needs to be righted (and it is being done so). After that, I don't care what they do! They don't need to respect our culture, flag, anthem or language. It's not a law. I don't care.

I think everyone who is so upset here is acting like the muslims who were offended because someone drew their prophet and "showed disrespect". In your defense, at least you're not rioting.... yet.

But taking offense at a song is the SAME THING as taking offense at a cartoon. :shk:

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 09:05 AM
link   
This is pretty rediculous. First of all, it's just a song. It looks like people think that the song itself represents our nation, and translating it into spanish is like translating America into Spanish

This whole thing makes as much sense as people freaking out because American Pie gets dubbed in Spanish on Univision. Oh wait that's right, Univision and Telemundd are destroying the fabric of our nation

EDIT: Way Above for BH

[edit on 4-5-2006 by Rasobasi420]

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 09:13 AM
link   
BH, no one said the Muslim’s had to like the cartoons or that they had no right to be upset, just that their reaction was over the top. I’m not saying that the people who recorded this song have no right to do it, just that I think its disrespectful, is there something wrong with that?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join