It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Pentagon acknowledges fabricating a 'Zarqawi Legend'

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
The difference in our positions seems to be that ya'll think that the
pentagon did it on purpose. I see it as an unfortunate product of
them educating the public as to who he is.

The Zarqawi campaign is discussed in several of the internal military documents. "Villainize Zarqawi/leverage xenophobia response," one U.S. military briefing from 2004 stated. It listed three methods: "Media operations," "Special Ops (626)" (a reference to Task Force 626, an elite U.S. military unit assigned primarily to hunt in Iraq for senior officials in Hussein's government) and "PSYOP," the U.S. military term for propaganda work.

www.washingtonpost.com... /04/09/AR2006040900890_pf.html

Right...

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
shots would you like to deny the psyops programs and cointelpro type things. the war on information? would you like to deny those exist?

No I am sure they do exist. The point that most seem to be missing is the fact that he is not a fabrication. There is proof of that fact see the article I posted earlier showing wheree he was convicted and sentenced to death not once but twice.

SS insists he does exist At one time she even made the claim she had proof and that was almost a year ago. Needless to say we are still waiting. My guess is she read the headline so fast the fact that this was just an opinion went right over her head.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots My guess is she read the headline so fast the fact that this was just an opinion went right over her head.

Did you not see the Washington Post story or are you conveniently ignoring it?

The U.S. military is conducting a propaganda campaign to magnify the role of the leader of al-Qaeda in Iraq, according to internal military documents and officers familiar with the program. The effort has raised his profile in a way that some military intelligence officials believe may have overstated his importance and helped the Bush administration tie the war to the organization responsible for the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   

them educating the public as to who he is. The educating about
him is what made him bigger and more important than he had been
to the radicals in the past.

At least, that's what I think the difference seems to be.

yes thats where we differ, but in my view, its hard to say it was just a mistake when they have a seperate program made with millions of dollars to do that exact same thing on purpose and knowingly. Its hard to say its a mistake when stuff like that exists for this same purpose.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
No I am sure they do exist. The point that most seem to be missing is the fact that he is not a fabrication. There is proof of that fact see the article I posted earlier showing wheree he was convicted and sentenced to death not once but twice.

SS insists he does exist At one time she even made the claim she had proof and that was almost a year ago. Needless to say we are still waiting. My guess is she read the headline so fast the fact that this was just an opinion went right over her head.

exactly, when they exist, how can anything be certain? when such programs exist to spread misinformation, how can you trust anything it says? i mean im not saying he doesnt exist, but in all truth i cant say he does either until i see him in person admitting to it. I don't want some look alike video tape like the pentagon released of osama in 2001 that slipped away in the cracks. I want him in the flesh announcing it, i want to see it on my friends home recorders, something i can actually trust. something not bought out by a psyops program. Something that isnt a product of some misinformation program.

This wont happen though, so i dont know what to believe. Thats why my choice is, i dont want to be there looking for these terrorists. the government made this decision to make me lose their trust, now we may all have to suffer for their actions. our war on terror could lose all support along with our own faith in our government and nation. You have alot more to lose by risking trust then meets the eye.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
Apparently Intelearthling didn't read the article about the US PSYOP campaign to villainize Zarqawi and play on US xenophobia.

The left is capable as the right on fabricating false information. While I am aware of psycological warfare and the Pentagon conducting such warfare to meet it's own needs, the story from Globalresearch seems to be exaggerated for the purpose of the left to meet their agenda.

BTW, just as some will claim conspiracies in everything, the same applies here and thanks for pointing out the credibility questions.

Sounds like BS to me.

[edit on 24/4/06 by Intelearthling]

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 04:10 PM
link   
please stop trying to generate the left and ring wing agendas here. dont you see we are the right wing and the left wing? they arent, they are the bird using the wings. They are using us. we fight over which side is better when in truth its like this

regardless of how different both wings are, if you only have one wing the bird aint gunna fly. they are just trying to divide us because you cant manipulate two opposite wings that agree they need to work together. the wings arent suppose to think for themselves the head of the bird says. thats what we need to change.

when we realize that its not left verse right wing, but the wings verse the head, then something will get done. your busy fighting on whos right, whos wrong, whos corrupt, whos the good guys, all while the head just keeps using you to take it wherever it desires.

you may not even want to be there, but your too busy fighting to realize it.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling
While I am aware of psycological warfare and the Pentagon conducting such warfare to meet it's own needs, the story from Globalresearch seems to be exaggerated for the purpose of the left to meet their agenda.
Sounds like BS to me.

Choice words, grimreaper. I have something else too add too...

This story was broken by the Washington Post not Globalresearch...

The Zarqawi campaign is discussed in several of the internal military documents. "Villainize Zarqawi/leverage xenophobia response," one U.S. military briefing from 2004 stated. It listed three methods: "Media operations," "Special Ops (626)" (a reference to Task Force 626, an elite U.S. military unit assigned primarily to hunt in Iraq for senior officials in Hussein's government) and "PSYOP," the U.S. military term for propaganda work.

[edit on 24-4-2006 by Jamuhn]

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
please stop trying to generate the left and ring wing agendas here. dont you see we are the right wing and the left wing? they arent, they are the bird using the wings. They are using us.

I'm pro-war, not in the sense that I like war and killing, but in the sense that we've given peace a chance after chance and it's not woking for us.

Since it's not working for us we need to find another avenue that will bring us peace and that avenue is unfortunately war.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   
are you serious? peace given chance after chance? where was peace in when we overthrew the iranian government? where was our peace efforts when we sold billions of dollars in weapons to iraq, more billions to iran, more billions to saudi arabia, more to israel. We gave them weapons, threw rocks at them, then pointed the finger at some one else. We caused these peoples struggles and hate. We did it for a profit too. We let iraq and iran destroy eachother, we watched, we encouraged it, we sold weapons to both sides in hopes they would kill eachother off.

wheres the peace in that?

EDIT: but anyway just who are you trying to give peace to? how can you give peace when the nation may not even know its being hostle. how can you say they didnt want peace but these misinformation programs just ignored that and threw it away, making up more pro war stuff.

ive got something to tell you, theres alot more profit in war then peace. not for us, but for those in charge. we benefit from peace, they benefit from war, now look where we are standing...notice something?

[edit on 24-4-2006 by grimreaper797]

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Did you not see the Washington Post story or are you conveniently ignoring it?

The U.S. military is conducting a propaganda campaign to magnify the role of the leader of al-Qaeda in Iraq, according to internal military documents and officers familiar with the program. The effort has raised his profile in a way that some military intelligence officials believe may have overstated his importance and helped the Bush administration tie the war to the organization responsible for the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

And what does it say??? It says magnify which is exactly what I said. Nowhere does it state that he does not exist.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by shotsAnd what does it say??? It says magnify which is exactly what I said. Nowhere does it state that he does not exist.

My reply was in response to your assertion that this was an opinion piece, which it was not. Let's see the details of this magnification:

"Villainize Zarqawi/leverage xenophobia response," one U.S. military briefing from 2004 stated. It listed three methods: "Media operations," "Special Ops (626)" (a reference to Task Force 626, an elite U.S. military unit assigned primarily to hunt in Iraq for senior officials in Hussein's government) and "PSYOP," the U.S. military term for propaganda work.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by shotsAnd what does it say??? It says magnify which is exactly what I said. Nowhere does it state that he does not exist.

My reply was in response to your assertion that this was an opinion piece, which it was not. Let's see the details of this magnification:

And my reply was with regards to his existance. I never denied there might not be any propaganda going on. In fact I stated earlier

No I am sure they do exist. The point that most seem to be missing is the fact that he is not a fabrication. There is proof of that fact see the article I posted earlier showing where he was convicted and sentenced to death not once but twice.

[edit on 4/24/2006 by shots]

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 06:29 PM
link   

them educating the public as to who he is. The educating about
him is what made him bigger and more important than he had been
to the radicals in the past.

At least, that's what I think the difference seems to be.

Are you high?

What part of $24 million spend on propaganda campaigns are you missing? What part of the Pentagon INTENTIONALLY putting out fake news here and in Iraq are you missing?

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   

them educating the public as to who he is.

Absolutely right, FF. The original article states:

The military's propaganda program, according to the Washington Post, has "largely been aimed at Iraqis, but seems to have spilled over into the U.S. media.
:
"There was clearly an information campaign to raise the public awareness of who Zarqawi was, primarily for the Iraqi audience but also with the international audience."

A goal of the campaign was to drive a wedge into the insurgency by emphasizing Zarqawi's terrorist acts and foreign origin, said officers familiar with the program. "Through aggressive Strategic Communications, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi now represents: Terrorism in Iraq/Foreign Fighters in Iraq/Suffering of Iraqi People (Infrastructure Attacks)/Denial of Iraqi Aspirations," the same briefing asserts...
:
Disinformation and war propaganda are an integral part of military planning. What the Washington Post fails to mention, however, is its own role in sustaining the Zarqawi legend , along with network TV, most of the printed press, and of course CNN and Fox News, not to mention a significant portion of the alternative media. Disinformation regarding the War on terrorism has been fed into the news chain by a limited number of "top feeders":

It's too bad that we are not allowed to point out a) a false and misleading title or b) to acknowledge the primary objective of the mission, without being personally attacked by both moderators and members. It seems that we cannot disagree with their POV without being labeleld as sheep, brainwashed, gullible, and ignorant..:shk:

I don't like being lied to. I don't like being lied to by the
politicians (they ALL lie, in all countries and in all parties).
I don't like being lied to by the press - can't barely trust
any of them. I don't like being lied to by church leaders.
I don't like being lied to HERE either ... which this thread
was an attempt to do. Spin with agenda = lies.

That was my objection to the title also. Yet was told to stop "p***ing and moaning" by a mod. How does that encourage discussion?

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Man, whatever.

Like I said, there is no arguing with these people. Even when it is ADMITTED that they're using psy-ops and fake news, these people just do not care. Well, whatever, enjoy your lies and propaganda.

They spend MILLIONS on these programs, but they didn't mean to fabricate this legend. It was an accident...

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I think the government reads ATS

NEWSFLASH; New old pictures of Zarqawi surface today on the Internet!!!

BOO!

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Absolutely right, FF. The original article states:

The military's propaganda program, according to the Washington Post, has "largely been aimed at Iraqis,

...primarily for the Iraqi audience...

Neither of these are absolutes, becky. They implicitly and explicitly state that this propaganda was not only for Iraqi consumption...
As well, the Washington Post article states:

Some senior intelligence officers believe Zarqawi's role may have been overemphasized by the propaganda campaign, which has included leaflets, radio and television broadcasts, Internet postings and at least one leak to an American journalist.
One briefing slide about U.S. "strategic communications" in Iraq, prepared for Army Gen. George W. Casey Jr., the top U.S. commander in Iraq, describes the "home audience" as one of six major targets of the American side of the war
The documents explicitly list the "U.S. Home Audience" as one of the targets of a broader propaganda campaign.

A goal of the campaign was to drive a wedge into the insurgency

Read it, A goal, NOT the goal.

The effort has raised his profile in a way that some military intelligence officials believe may have overstated his importance and helped the Bush administration tie the war to the organization responsible for the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

Washington Post

Disinformation and war propaganda are an integral part of military planning. What the Washington Post fails to mention, however, is its own role in sustaining the Zarqawi legend

Hindsight is 20/20, isn't it? I guess you weren't the only one being duped, eh?

We are all being duped by the government...

[edit on 25-4-2006 by Jamuhn]

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   
now tell me this isnt perfect timing....

news.bbc.co.uk...

you have got to be joking, when we admit to possibly fabricating his legend, the first lengthy video of him comes out. Isn't that just something, great timing too.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Neither of these are absolutes, becky. They implicitly and explicitly state that this propaganda was not only for Iraqi consumption...

Yes, I can read. It doesn't change the fact the the primary purpose was to drive a wedge between him and the Iraqi's.

Btw, the name is not becky.

We are all being duped by the government...

I support their efforts to bring him down in Iraq with the propaganda they used. I see the propaganda in the US and the rest of the world for what it is - propaganda. That's because I don't rely on the gov't as my sole source of info. You do.

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but every gov't lies to it's people at one time or another. Now, how you handle that fact is your choice - either get you panties in a knot, or grow up and see it for what it is. If you can't live with it, then change it. Do something about it! Don't continuously badger people who see it for what is, because their opinion is none of your business.

In other words, my opinion of Zarqawi has not changed one iota because of this. So please keep your comments about my decision to yourself.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join