It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans to be given tips on how to behave properly when traveling outside of country

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I don't think it's much to laugh at. It may be much of the government's fault, but you need to pitch in to help the government's tarnished image, instead of sitting back and wanting it to fix itself.

I'd still like to see what tips they're giving though. I suspect it's just focused on not making enemies out of people from other nationalities, and respecting their local culture and not being pigheaded.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 03:08 AM
link   
As much as I love America and their people (I have family in NY!) I do have to admit that a lot of Americans I have come across (though especially those from California) have got a "whatever you can do I can do better" and a "whatever your country has ours has it better" attitude.

Couple this with the fact that most Americans arent scared to speak their mind about how they love their country, often very loudly! (which personally I admire, too many of us aussies are so damn apathetic) I can see how people would form negative opinions of American's from their tourists.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Im an American currently working in Germany and as it was stated earlier, the government tarnishes the image of americans just as much as americans do it to themselves. Ultimately, government issues really dont have much do with behavior so its really not that funny and I dont understand why you insist on showing me laughey faces indicating how funny you think something is when the point remains that Americans have a behavior problem.

People from America have the problem that they are comfortable doing whatever they want to do. Whether it be farting, burping, sniffling, eating with your mouth open or not holding doors open for people these things all add up to make one bad impression. Although America is a great country, one thing alot of us lack is tact and grace and its worth working on. Although the USA has alot to offer, it lacks culture, so when traveling to a cultural land its important to remember that some countries have different values. Just be humble and graceful and people will work with you.

Just remember not to bend over for anyone. I wear my baseball hat when im walking outside and I take it off when Im inside. If anyone has a problem with me wearing my hat outside just because their country doesnt play baseball they can go suck it.

[edit on 18-4-2006 by nephyx]

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Come to Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi, etc and say that

No reason to go there regardless. Besides who cares what happened during the civil war! That # is so over and you so lost. Sorry we couldnt keep slaves to make things easier for your 'people'

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 07:09 AM
link   
The British unfortunately have exactly the same problem, for instance our skill with foreign linguistics is pathetic at best. Our football hooligans are world-renowned.

Over here the common way to try to make your self understood (except if you speak the language) by a foreigner is to speak very loudly & slowly – which they find very condescending because they’re not stupid.

I am trying to advocate communicating a different way –using the Local Accent but speaking my native tongue. For instance-

Put the bags in the car

In German becomes

Put ze bags in ze car

& French

Put le bags in le car

Obviously this does not work well for communication but generally gets a bemused laugh & confirms the common foreign conception that all us Brits are mad & have a strange sense of humour –so no damage done.

I don’t think it matters how other countries perceive you, they will always see what they want. Always the stereotype first & only if they take the time will they meet the person underneath. Each & every country I have visited has always had a proud & interesting population who thought I was a little strange. & As an Englishman & am proud to be eccentric with a warped sense of humour.

On a serious note though many people cannot afford to travel the world, so the only perception they get is from the media. So for example: when pictures appear of British & American troops cruelly treating alleged terrorists / insurgents –even when it is for their own safety. It will give the impression of a psycho population & this will stick like mud to all travellers of that nation. So if the government want to change the way their countrymen are perceived it is up to them & not the individual. Americans, who on the whole I have found to be polite, educated & have exactly the same fears & aspirations as us Europeans.

As for drinking under the table –I have drunk with Americans & Australians. But only needed my stomach pumped once –on a tour of the glens with the Scots

Tea

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Subatomic

So for example: when pictures appear of British & American troops cruelly treating alleged terrorists / insurgents –even when it is for their own safety. It will give the impression of a psycho population & this will stick like mud to all travellers of that nation.

I happen to like this aspect of the American stereotype. Except for the terrorists, no one messes with Americans abroad. They don't want the poop kicked out of them by a crazy Yank.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Nice article,

good that american get that info, because i had that feeling too about americans (british too), behave like pigs as they do in their own country.
but we shouldn't generalize, so I allways think these americans are so stupid, even believing their government, I say to myself, but there should be a lot of intelligent guy out there, but they are not focused on.
Think about great scientist,business man, athletes, and just normal general people you guys have, and on the other side you have the worst politicians, army,foreign policy, public corruption (lobby), over catholic and secterian people, hollywood, mass media (brainwashin) , mass prisons, serial murders, FAT Asses , hamburgers and coca cola. But what makes you not appreciated in foreign countries is thanks to you government and their facist policies. Looks like INVADERS or CRUSADERS, which puts us here in Europe at high risk, because fact is that a LOT of musulmans live in Europe, and we face the results of such set-up religion tensions.

My preferred country in term of Politics and policy = Switserland.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I travel sometimes and from what I've seen people generally like Americans. If not for our money and our lame bargaining skills they like us for whatever interest we have in their country...especially in the smaller countries where they rarely see any westerners.

Sometimes it varies from city to city....in Beijing I'm just another white guy but in other smaller less industrialized cities in China I'm treated like an international super-star....a rock star.

I've been to a few countries where the people try their best and go out of their way to make sure I'm taken care of. I'm probably one of few westerners they have ever seen and they want me to leave with a good impression of their homeland. And I try to do the same.

Later
Sporty

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tea
Except for the terrorists, no one messes with Americans abroad. They don't want the poop kicked out of them by a crazy Yank.

Are you saying that Americans traveling abroad are not targeted by terrorist?

Muggers and thieves?

Con artist?

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I live in Montreal, and a little while ago there was a massive anti-war protest and there were a whole bunch of “George W. Bush is a terrorist” flags and t-shirts and placards.

So these two guys standing on the corner, drunk and belligerent, start yelling at the crowd.

“You goddamn stupid Canucks, George Bush ain’t no goddamn terrorist! If y’all had balls you would know what we were talking about! But yer yellow Canadians! Eff YOOOOOU!”

Everyone around them was just kind of looking at them and tsking, the way you would when you see a 4year old throw a tantrum in the supermarket.

So three people from the actual protest march approach them, and start arguing with them. “We’re Americans too and we can’t believe that you support Bush! You’re stupid, how can you support such a murderer!”

I looked away briefly, and within a minute and a half all 5 of them were embroiled in a fistfight, 3 minutes later the cops showed up and hauled the first two guys to jail. The other 3 got away free, the cops just said, “stay in the crowd and don’t cause trouble, make your voice heard.”

Lesson: When you're in a foreign country, don't insult their people, or you might just get beat on by American tourists.

Tea

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB

Originally posted by Tea
Except for the terrorists, no one messes with Americans abroad. They don't want the poop kicked out of them by a crazy Yank.

Are you saying that Americans traveling abroad are not targeted by terrorist? Muggers and thieves? Con artist?

This is what is commonly known in the United States as a joke. Now, if you think it's funny, you laugh, and then I smile and we move on.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 09:13 AM
link   
From the article

Business for Diplomatic Action (BDA), a non-profit group funded by big American companies, has also met Karen Hughes, the head of public diplomacy at the State Department, to discuss issuing the guide with every new US passport. The goal is to create an army of civilian ambassadors.

Hmmm, being and acting like an American is bad for bussines. Looks like you are not exactly "corporate material.
And what's this military lingo? Do most of Americans only understands sport and military terms?
Civilian ambassadors? Is there a military one? I mean I heard of military atachee but military ambasador?

The guide offers a series of "simple suggestions" under the slogan, "Help your country while you travel for your company". The advice targets a series of common American traits and includes:

This sounds like something from the movie Starship Troopers:
"I'm doing my part"
Personaly I think that this guide ought to be a must read for US officials and ellected members of the government.

Everybody that travels abroad must firstly ask himself this question.
Why do you travel?
The answer is quite simple. To broaden your horizont and to learn something.
And how do you achieve that?
By opening your eyes and ears, not your mouth.

A little tip. When I travel abroad I use descency.
You know, that's what your grandmother taught you.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tea
I happen to like this aspect of the American stereotype. Except for the terrorists, no one messes with Americans abroad. They don't want the poop kicked out of them by a crazy Yank.

Yes, those crazy yanks.

Once we've been visited by one of your aircraft carriers and some of the personel were throwing their weight around and unfortunately for them hiting on the wrong girls. Some of the locals left them battered, bruised and begging for mercy.

[edit on 20-4-2006 by yanchek]

[edit on 20-4-2006 by yanchek]

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 05:38 PM
link   
hmm

Quote: Everybody that travels abroad must firstly ask himself this question.
Why do you travel?
The answer is quite simple. To broaden your horizons and to learn something.

Not me, I'm just mostly trying to get out of the rain

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Subatomic
hmm

Quote: Everybody that travels abroad must firstly ask himself this question.
Why do you travel?
The answer is quite simple. To broaden your horizons and to learn something.

Not me, I'm just mostly trying to get out of the rain

Yup, thats the British reason for travelling!

We have heard of this "Sun" thing you tanned foriegn types speak of and we are intrigued! We are especially interested in this notion of "warmth".

To add, those of a more intellectual nature travel to find out what other countries do with their rain, as it would seem that despite us getting more rain in a year than bloody Borneo, we still have hosepipe pans and water shortages.... Only in the UK!

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I travel for several reasons.

1. I need a break from work and would not spend it in the UK because it costs a fortune.

2. I'm sick of the crap weather, and need some heat.

3. I want to see historic places. Either the ww2 battlefields/graveyards/museums etc, or places with ancient architechture such as Rome, or places where you can enjoy peace and quiet like the Belgian & Dutch countryside with quiet canal walks and family run restaurants with amazing food! (and an amazing selection of beer I must add)

I always attempt to speak their language, but usually they say "Oh Scotland!!!! Tartan Army! Ally McCoist!" and start speaking in English to me!

I've even had a Norweigan passport control guard having a conversation about my local club because he saw my town of birth on my passport!

Infact, I've also had a bunch of pissed dutch guys at a bar in Amsterdam start chanting my club's song at me because they saw my top lol!

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   
With the price of oil and gas, and the economic impact of all that,
I highly doubt Americans will be traveling abroad much at all this
summer.

So all you euros can relax .. you won't have to put up with us
brash Americans ...or any of our MONEY! We'll spend it here
and be brash at home here in America.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
So all you euros can relax .. you won't have to put up with us
brash Americans ...or any of our MONEY! We'll spend it here
and be brash at home here in America.

YAY!

Seriously though, from what I've read on this thread it's been pretty light hearted and pleasant. That just seemed somewhat snobby to me.

Besides, we all know the Dollar is Mickey Mouse money anyway

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I love to travel, it's my favorite thing to do. If I have decided on a destination I usually research it well in advance. I like to learn about it's history, the culture and the people and learn at least some of the language, so as to make my experience more memorable. I find that at least making the effort to learn some phrases helps most of the time and the people appreciate it. Also, you have to understand that when traveling you can't expect "everyone" in the country to be friendly. If you travel here in the U.S. to another city, I think that you will find that not "everyone" is nice to you. People may be abrupt or short at times and that is how people are everywhere. I also don't think you should take it personally, these people don't know you and their behavior is as much about themselves and where they are coming from as it is in response to you. I find that most of the time I've spent traveling I've loved it and have had found "friendly" people in places where you are told most people are not noted to be as such. Although, I don't know, maybe that's just me, I tend to take people at how they are treating me and not my preconceptions of what I think they may be like. Sorry for the rambling on here... I'm new on here and have to get used to posting a little better.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Moving to General Chit Chat.

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join