It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans to be given tips on how to behave properly when traveling outside of country

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Thats it preciselty. Anyone I speak to here in the UK will denounce America in one breath, but in the other will speak pretty well of the ordinary yank.

Who the heck are you calling a Yankee??????

That could get you in a LOT of trouble down here in the South

[edit on 16-4-2006 by Amuk]

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Doh! Now you did it, stumason. You ticked off Amuk.

You should know there's nothing more formidable than a PO'd Southruner. Remember, they started a war 'cause they was mad.

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by brEaDITOR
Doh! Now you did it, stumason. You ticked off Amuk.

You should know there's nothing more formidable than a PO'd Southruner. Remember, they started a war 'cause they was mad.

woops!

We call all you guys Yanks, over here. Same as you calling us all Brits, or god forbid, English. I know a few Scots on here that would take great offence at that (Devilwasp being one
)

Anyhoo, got an applaud of Amuk, so he can't have been that offended

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 06:14 PM
link   

I've seen Canadians in London wearing a T-shirt saying "I am not an American, I am Canadian" on it

Ah, don't pay too much attention to that, they don't know any better, they’re Canadian.
JK, I like you all, well, except Quebec of course.

In fact this gives me an idea, I should go get a shirt made that says “Don't worry, I’m American not Canadian.”

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

In fact this gives me an idea, I should go get a shirt made that says “Don't worry, I’m American not Canadian.”

We'd see you coming a mile off, Westy, so wouldn't bother. The bum-bags, awful glasses, bloated guts and a penchant for complaining everything is much smaller than in the US kind of gives you away

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 06:31 PM
link   

We'd see you coming a mile off, Westy, so wouldn't bother. The bum-bags, awful glasses, bloated guts and a penchant for complaining everything is much smaller than in the US kind of gives you away.

Ah, that predictable huh? Well, I guess I’m going to have to get me some European clothes. Say, what would you recommend for chap like me? My current plan is to wear some sweat pants, my Eagles jersey and of course my Phillies hat! Tell me that's not dashing?

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Ah, that predictable huh? Well, I guess I’m going to have to get me some European clothes. Say, what would you recommend for chap like me? My current plan is to wear some sweat pants, my Eagles jersey and of course my Phillies hat! Tell me that's not dashing?

Sounds positively handsome! Where you going or was it a hypothtical situation? If your going to Newcastle here in England, don't take a coat...for god's sake, don't wear a coat......

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Sounds positively handsome! Where you going or was it a hypothtical situation? If your going to Newcastle here in England, don't take a coat...for god's sake, don't wear a coat......

Ah, I knew I was on the right track.
And I have been to London once before, but that was back in my earlier days when I was just a young lad, I’m a changed man now so if I decide to go back I might as well fit in. Also, your warning about the coats is noted, but I must ask why though?

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Ah, I knew I was on the right track.
And I have been to London once before, but that was back in my earlier days when I was just a young lad, I’m a changed man now so if I decide to go back I might as well fit in. Also, your warning about the coats is noted, but I must ask why though?

Even though Newcastle is way up north and subject to freezing winds and rain, the Geordies don't do the coat the coat thing.

The lads will go out without one on and the ladies with even less, your not manly enough if you have to wrap up!

If you are caught with a coat on...run.... Geordies aren't very nice when they are fuelled with Stella and they see you wearing a coat....

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Ah, thanks for the advice mate, and I thought traveling down south here in the States was as weird as it gets. But now my interest has been spurred by these Geordie fellows.

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I've been to most western european countries, and the worst offenders are germany and france. I've met nice people in both, more so in germany, but I swear to god they smell so bad, not all of course, but enough to make you go holy s*** somethign smells. I always thought people exaggerated it until I was there and I was thinking what is that, then boom it hit me, BO. But nice places smells aside, england and italy rock. I actually went ot St. James Park for a soccer(footbal) game, and follow them as clossely as possible, SHEARER FOR MANAGER!

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Arrrrggggghhh!!!!

I just wrote the longest reply to this and lost it....

So I'll write a simplified version, again....

I agree with the idea that it is your government that is to blame for most of your international image, and not the actual American people. However, you guys could easily be seen as supporting it, because you voted them in, and from an international standpoint, we don't see many of you condemning their actions on any wide scale.

On a personal level, I find that Americans who have been out of their country for some time to be mostly friendly and interesting people to talk with, I go to university with lots of Americans, and am friends with several.

However, if you are newly arrived, I have found that you have a tendancy to be loudmouthed, opinionated, and arrogant....No offense....Not all of you, but quite a lot, and this is really saying something coming from an Aussie viewpoint, because we are hardly a tea totalling bunch of choir boys either....

However, once you have been out of your country for a while, you tend to settle down, and start to respect other peoples cultures and opinions more, maybe something clicks inside of you that you are not the most important nation on Earth.

The most important thing however, is that after a while, you guys seem to realise just how much lies and propaganda your government and media feeds you, I suppose this is because it is easier to recognise this if you are outside looking in.

I hope I don't cop a lot of flak for this, because I mean no offense, I quite like American people, once they have settled down... I guess my travel tip to you guys is, try not to be so loud and arrogant, even if you have an opinion on something, not everyone wants to hear it...

PS Australians can drink you guys under the table....Period.

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrBones666

we don't see many of you condemning their actions on any wide scale.

We do. You guys just don't hear about it.

you are not the most important nation on Earth.

We know. You guys just don't hear about it.

Australians can drink you guys under the table....Period.

Don't count on it. You guys just don't hear about it.

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   
The way I see it is this, if people take the time to get to know one another we wouldnt have these problems. I have quite a few friends from England, one who was in this weekend on vacation. Weve never even got on about sterotypes or anything like that. Another is here on a work visa that expires at hte end of July and he doesnt want to leave. Another is my best friend from high school, not to mention other friends I've made from other European nations over the years. We never had any talks of these incredibly ridiculous stereotypes. I guess if they want to stereotype me when I finally get hte money to travel, I guess theyll just miss out on all hte fun they would be having.

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 11:02 PM
link   
It's rather funny, when I still lived in the Netherlands with my American wife we were assumed to be ENGLISH! yes ENGLISH, I have an American accent I picked up and my wife is American, nothing like an english accent.

We were treated with respect with all the dutch people we came in contact with.

But the France and in some extend the Germans are quite arrogant, they are notorious for being bad tourist, esspecially the germans...no offense to any german members, this is just the general consensus in the Netherlands.

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I have an older brother who has to travel overseas on occasion for work. He told me someone asked where he was from. He said the United States but then the other guy said "you don't act American." The other guy said "I mean you aren't fat and arrogant" etc etc. Then my brother said well who do you think usually has money to go traveling overseas? The ordinary American is busy working all the time without a lot of extra money. So that means the folks with money to burn who are used to getting their way are going to be the ones travelling overseas and are probably more arrogant than the rest of us. I'm just telling it like I see it. Well my brother told me that story and I agree with it.

I believe our government is wasting money unless they are including what the local customs are in different foreign countries. I believe many Americans do try to observe local customs but I'm not sure about those Americans travelling overseas.

It may seem a bit strange or even amusing to foreigners but the word Yankee is often seen as a negative way of describing people from the northern United States here in the South or southern US. It's leftover negativity from when the South lost to the North after the civil war.

[edit on 16-4-2006 by orionthehunter]

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 12:22 AM
link   
You'd be hard pressed to find an Aussie that doesn't refer to you guys as Yanks.

We don't discriminate with the usage of the word, Northern or Southern, if you're from the US you are a Yank....

Just like Aussies, Poms, Canucks etc...its just a word.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrBones666
You'd be hard pressed to find an Aussie that doesn't refer to you guys as Yanks.

We don't discriminate with the usage of the word, Northern or Southern, if you're from the US you are a Yank....

Just like Aussies, Poms, Canucks etc...its just a word.

Come to Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi, etc and say that

Like Stu said, its like calling a Scottsman "English", we fought a war against them when the Yankees invaded America............

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 12:53 AM
link   

PS Australians can drink you guys under the table....Period.

I’d be willing to take you up on that! I don't know what kind of light stuff you drink down there but you still wont last against some people I know.
I must say though, never challenge a Russian to a drinking contest, never, I swear those people run on alcohol.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I recall there was a debate like this right before the Olympics a few years back. Americans were discouraged from being ... American, I guess, while at the Olympics. Discouraged were obnoxious yelling and over-the-top Stars and Stripes on clothing.

As an American myself, I like to be humble. Even when eating local foreign cuisine, I don't like to yell and act obnoxious like I might with my friends at an American restaurant. I like to think that I would do well with manners in another country, though I have never traveled outside the US.

I hate how arrogant some of us can be. We're not number one anymore - the Cold War is over, dorks! Even if we are in some statistical regards, the US will not be "number one" in anything for long. Perhaps China's current rise to power will humble us as a nation and get us back on the road to success.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join