It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Americans to be given tips on how to behave properly when traveling outside of country

page: 1
0
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Source

Ok. Is this insane? Its not US, the people, who need to improve our image.

ITS THE DARN GOVERNMENT!


Pardon me, i'm laughing myself silly over this one. Grab the popcorn:






'Speak softly, don't argue and slow down'
By Philip Sherwell
(Filed: 16/04/2006)

Loud and brash, in gawdy garb and baseball caps, more than three million of them flock to our shores every year. Shuffling between tourist sites or preparing to negotiate a business deal, they bemoan the failings of the world outside the United States.

The reputation of the "Ugly American" abroad is not, however, just some cruel stereotype, but - according to the American government itself - worryingly accurate. Now, the State Department in Washington has joined forces with American industry to plan an image make-over by issuing guides for Americans travelling overseas on how to behave.


'Ugly American' abroad: Worryingly accurate
Under a programme starting next month, several leading US companies will give employees heading abroad a "World Citizens Guide" featuring 16 etiquette tips on how they can help improve America's battered international image.








Grant it, we can be somewhat aggresive, but so can Spanish people, and other nationalities.

I think this is both pathetic and funny as hell at the same time.
THE GOVERNMENT IS GOING TO GIVE US POINTERS IN ETIQUETTE.


roflmao




posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Not funny?

Maybe i have a warped sense of humor, but i thought this should be posted here.

I'm still laughing.



posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Hmmm, Having traveled the worl extensively when I was younger, I am ashamed to say it is very easy to spot the average 'US" tourist abroad.

As much as I agree our government could use pointers, the average joe six pack could as well. As coney as it sounds one aspect my parents always told my sister and I (We lived almost 4 years in Macedonia, then under the warm and fuzzy collective known as Yugoslavia) were ambassadors of our country and how we acted and behaved was important. In many ways it really was. While we went to the big places, by parents (im not entirely unconvinced they may have worked for the CIA) also went places NOBODY went. Villages in Bulgaria, roaming the Greek Countryside for dyas. many of these places how we behaved and acted may have left a lasting impression on the people there. I hope it was a good one.



posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 04:14 PM
link   
True, Fred. I've been around myself, and i know how we are perceived, but i think the funny part of all this, its the governments idea.


I could understand if corporations trained their people via Human Resources as to how to behave.

But the government? This government? The cause of all things insane?

*Chuckle*



posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   
As you quite rightly say, it's not JUST American's who don''t know how to behave properly when abroad. Heck, most of you guys never leave the states anyway!


When travelling abroad though it could be useful for most people to have some knowledge of local customs/modes of behaviour.

We have a nice advert over here for a large bank which highlights the difficulties that can be faced when in a foreign environment - This Western guy sits down to eat an eel in an Oriental country, and he proceeds to finish it all off. The waiter brings another eel and the scene is repeated, and again, several times.
The moral of the tale was that in some cultures, finishing the contents of one's plate meant you were not yet satisfied, whereas the Westerner obviously thought it was more polite to finish the meal completely. Those eels looked disgusting too!!!

However, if you are talking about employing simple manners when abroad, well, if the governement needs to advise people of this it either doesn't say much for the target audience or the authorities involved are being rather overbearing.



posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   
That's sad. Maybe they should have the world great musical acts tell them how to hide. Someone call Cher and the Boybands. BTW, the boybands are fairly sad at "hiding".



posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I heard it put like this once:

Americans, when traveling abroad, seem to treat the indigenous people as the tourists.



posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Interesting article. No mention of Ugly Europeans, but then that's not the topic.

Here's a few pointers for the UE's from a veteran world traveller:

1. Bathe more than once a week. Use deodorant if available. It makes the local cuisine more palatable for the tourist if they don't have to incorporate the local BO into the experience;
2. Brush your teeth at least as often. Include toothpaste in your effort. Floss is also good, but optional. We're flexible;
3. Don't get so close. Space is a good thing when there's plenty to be had. I'm heterosexual. I didn't enjoy your penis poking me in the buttocks while I was watching the Changing of the Guards;
4. Stop giving us those ugly looks when we're not doing anything wrong;
5. We may be American, but that doesn't mean we agree with our government. Don't treat us as though we're swapping spit with the GWB;
6. We'll make an attempt to speak your language. How about controlling the nasty facial expressions;
7. Don't stare at the fat American. It's not polite and the fat person already feels bad as it is;
8. Speaking your language and pointing and laughing is not a good way to represent your country;
9. When you come to our country, we try hard to help you. How about some reciprocal effort.

I know there are more tips, but I can't think of them now. I'm sure it won't be long though.



posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Don't worry, my baseball cap wearing, overweight yankee brethren! We British are also percieved rather badly abroad and do get steroetyped as well...

We have a tendency to get rather drunk, loudly shout abuse at the locals then proceed to baffle them with a "face first" fighting style before being carted off to the local jail house puking in the back of the police van...


But, on the other hand, our personal hygiene is considerably better than that of some of our continental cousins....Plus, we don't eat garden pest's and pond life


[edit on 16/4/06 by stumason]



posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Sad but true. Two of my friends went to Germany for thier honeymoon and prior to leaving they actually went out and bought clothes just for the trip to appear as simple as possible and not draw any attention to themselves (even though both have been there numerous times and speak the langauge fluently). Surely this must say something about the climate of the world when people don't wish to display anything that might be construed as distinctly american.



posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven
Sad but true. Two of my friends went to Germany for thier honeymoon and prior to leaving they actually went out and bought clothes just for the trip to appear as simple as possible and not draw any attention to themselves (even though both have been there numerous times and speak the langauge fluently). Surely this must say something about the climate of the world when people don't wish to display anything that might be construed as distinctly american.


I've seen Canadians in London wearing a T-shirt saying "I am not an American, I am Canadian" on it



posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Landis
Interesting article. No mention of Ugly Europeans, but then that's not the topic.

Here's a few pointers for the UE's from a veteran world traveller:

1. Bathe more than once a week. Use deodorant if available. It makes the local cuisine more palatable for the tourist if they don't have to incorporate the local BO into the experience;
2. Brush your teeth at least as often. Include toothpaste in your effort. Floss is also good, but optional. We're flexible;
3. Don't get so close. Space is a good thing when there's plenty to be had. I'm heterosexual. I didn't enjoy your penis poking me in the buttocks while I was watching the Changing of the Guards;
4. Stop giving us those ugly looks when we're not doing anything wrong;
5. We may be American, but that doesn't mean we agree with our government. Don't treat us as though we're swapping spit with the GWB;
6. We'll make an attempt to speak your language. How about controlling the nasty facial expressions;
7. Don't stare at the fat American. It's not polite and the fat person already feels bad as it is;
8. Speaking your language and pointing and laughing is not a good way to represent your country;
9. When you come to our country, we try hard to help you. How about some reciprocal effort.

I know there are more tips, but I can't think of them now. I'm sure it won't be long though.


I think the point of this thread was to highlight the insanity of the present administrtion, where they feel they have to lay out guidelines as to how to behave when abroad.

It's not about venting your prejudices.........


There are stereotypes for every country, colour, culture and creed and you've just slotted yourself quite nicely into a few of those stereotypes....well done...!!



posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Koka

I think the point of this thread was to highlight the insanity of the present administrtion, where they feel they have to lay out guidelines as to how to behave when abroad.

It's not about venting your prejudices.........


There are stereotypes for every country, colour, culture and creed and you've just slotted yourself quite nicely into a few of those stereotypes....well done...!!


Not really. My husband travels extensively as part of his job. France is the worst offender, in his opinion.



posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Thank you, Koka.

The point is very ironic. The world laughs at us (lately), and its not because of how we act.

They laugh at this incompetent government. You know, the same government that wants you to take etiquette lessons?

That's the one.



posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Don't worry, my baseball cap wearing, overweight yankee brethren! We British are also percieved rather badly abroad and do get steroetyped as well...

We have a tendency to get rather drunk, loudly shout abuse at the locals then proceed to baffle them with a "face first" fighting style before being carted off to the local jail house puking in the back of the police van...


But, on the other hand, our personal hygiene is considerably better than that of some of our continental cousins....Plus, we don't eat garden pest's and pond life


All these reasons and more are why we love you!



posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Thank you, Koka.

The point is very ironic. The world laughs at us (lately), and its not because of how we act.

They laugh at this incompetent government. You know, the same government that wants you to take etiquette lessons?

That's the one.


Thats it preciselty. Anyone I speak to here in the UK will denounce America in one breath, but in the other will speak pretty well of the ordinary yank.

It's not you that pisses us off, it's your Government. We can tell the difference
..

I think it stands to reason that when visiting a foreign country, you try to behave yourself and mingle with the locals, it's funny that your government is telling you this..



posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   
lol @ Landis

Yeah, we all brush our teeth once a week mate


Thats's exactly the kind of person that guide was made for


To be honest I think the guide is taking the p*** a little to be honest. Any Americans i've met over here have been nice enough, just asking for directions... I love those 'bum bags' though


I was watching fox news on Sky the other day and thought it was quite funny that for the last 2 days there's been hours of airtime allocated to those 4 guys deciding between religion and women... you would never get that over here. Plus the little american flag waving in the top left corner is quite funny too
" Go God! Go America! Woooo *Waves Flag* "


Mind you we only get Fox and CNN so I don't know what your other news channels are like...

Stereotypes can run wild. The more people you meet, the more understanding you gain.



posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 05:14 PM
link   
If I recall rightly the Americans got a similar guidebook when visiting Britain during WW2, if it's online look for it.. quite interesting!

Stereotyping seems to be a pretty natural aspect of human life. I'm sure we will eventually 'mingle' into one big happy family (Well apart from the French!
).

I mean better transport between countries, better communications.. already I think a West and East bond has formed and i'm sure that people living in the East will have a sterotypical image or Westerners and us vice versa.



posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   
lol.. fox news.

Always notice how the presenters have bright orange skin with bright teeth.. almost hypnotic! (perhaps even a US brain washing scheme!
)



posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 05:25 PM
link   
LOL Knights, I noticed that too!

That's the result of putting your daughter into beauty pageants from the age of 4!!!




top topics



 
0
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join