It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you prepared for the end of oil

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   
O.K

I was just posting a reply on oil peak when another guy said somthing that was very familier to me, that was a likely senario for life after oil, or life after cheap and abundent oil.

The senario would be: World economy basicly non existent, millions of jobs lost around the world, the line between rich and poor has gone, complete shutdown of electricity, no clean water, no sewage systems, millions die from disease and starvation.
Basicly everything in your home is usless.
The more worrying part is, what do you have that sombody else wants?
Does your car still have a litre of petrol in it cause you thought you'd save it? Do you have a gun? do you have anything to eat? ...If you do, well you probably will be in alot of danger if you don't prepare. If you think there are bad people out there today, imagine those people with no law or no police.

So what does your average human being need to survive the chaos of oil elimination....?

Well these are the things you would have to consider:
-Food, water, Medical supplies and medicines and if you or a family member have any kind of condition ensure they have at least 6 months worth of the medication.
-Heat, Shelter, real shelter..do you think your house has what it takes.. if an intruder breaks a window, can they get in?
-Defence, guns, ammunition, a small communtiy watch between friends or (allies).
-A society, you need people who you can trust, people you and your family can live with if need be, and in that is the need for humanity to be able to reproduce later on, If people can't trust each other how will the next generations be able to reproduce effectivly.

I won't put any more becauase I'd like to hear waht other people think are importent parts of our survival or what we need to survive.

Mod edit (de cap'ed title)

[edit on 15-4-2006 by DJDOHBOY]

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   
If you live in a large urban center and need to split - take along the bicycle!

The Katrina/Wilma/Rita experience taught me that the car - while fine under normal conditions - can't be depended on and at some point will become a liability.

The trick of preparation for "whatever" will be to have only enough ready hygene/water/food/clothing/shelter/mobility/firepower/coms/friends/tricks to stay alive to fight another day and not so much resources "evident" that might make one a target above any other refugee. Don't hoard or loot or get loaded - it makes you dead.

You need pre-arranged alliances every 20 miles or so. Trust no one, not even children - everybody will be acting completely out of character - and no one other than yourself should be thought of anything other than being "a couple of Tomatoes shy of a thick sauce". Irrationality and all the worst aspects of human social character will come to the fore immediately - law of the jungle/Mad Max/Omega Man, that sort of thing.

Travel light, quiet, understated and by night and by day only when needed, be situationally aware, absolutely ruthless and without remorse in protecting that which will help you to survive. Above all don't act or look cop/military - sadly they'll be targets for rage. Yeah values and morals go out the window if the oil doesn't flow.

Nurses, other Med folk, Farmers and trades people will keep you alive - make some friends - it's fun - barter. Forget the value of paper money and unless society recovers quickly, precious metals too - you can't eat or drink it or shoot it out of a gun. The night will be your friend - but I suspect the "authorities" may not - judge for yourself. I hope I'm wrong. Head for the kind of place you might feel OK about dying for and pray it's still there when you arrive - it's all gonna be a crap shoot.

I'd be quite willing to live without oil but it appears the "taps" are at risk in the East, and Alberta although vast, can't crank out another 250000 Bbl/day anytime soon. If any real trouble starts petro-chemicals logistics is likely to fail pretty quickly, and then the "authorities" will have gas... you and me?

Dust off the mountain bike and tune 'er up - I'm going Libertarian/agrarian!

[edit on 15-4-2006 by V Kaminski]

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Yeah,
Great reply V Kaminski

There will have to be a huge shift in morality in "society" or people won't be able to survive the adapting stage.

People are basicly brought up to do the right thing, don't fight stay outa trouble. Well in the empty oil senario, trouble will find you, people need to know how to take care of themselves.. another idea for preperation is outdoor survival skills. .. How many of us can start a fire without matches or a lighter?

[edit on 15-4-2006 by Apoplexy123]

[edit on 15-4-2006 by Apoplexy123]

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 04:48 AM
link   
ahhh - a world with out car insurance payments, or refills at the pump. Would be great, less traffic, and more room in the streets to use my bike. Life in the city would be awsome, assuming there isnt a huge depression.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Well, I would assume that having no oil would mean not having alot of anything, including food, as that most prossesed foods need oil in some way to make them if not then surley the item is wrapped in plastic(not avalible with no oil).
Even agriculture would be almost impossible to get unless you had your own garden. It takes pesticides and herbisides to grow bulk produce, and you need oil for those. Not to mention farming equipment tractors and also trucks to transport it to you.
So basicly when oil runs out there is no way to prevent a depression unless some how they find a magical answer to fossil fules very very soon.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a graceful end to cheap oil ;

www.permatopia.com...

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Hmm,
The chart looked nice in theory...
But... Most of the things on there are going to be almost impossible to prepare or setup without acting now using oil we have..
Where are we going to get enough solar energy to run a city, let alone a community, how much oil does it take to make a solar panel i wonder?
I doubt any majour country will try make these changes, especialy when our leaders are more interested in the money to be made off oil today, not the consequences of tomoro.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Damn straight. I got my beer, my weed and my MRE's ready to go. Hopefully when it happens I still have my wits about me so I can watch and laugh my ass off at all the paniced suckers. It's going to be absolute pandamonium.

Muwhahahaha. Conspiracy theory schmeory. I bet all the eggheads will regret laughing at people and calling them conspiracy nuts. Those pricks better feel the pain.

[edit on 19-4-2006 by Crazy_Mr_Crowley]

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 09:33 PM
link   
sure.......my truck is relatively new and can be easily converted to ethanol, which is esentially shine, so Im good in that department

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I wish we all could do more about this. I really do feel powerless. I wish we could pull millions of people together and protest or march like they did for immigration. Where are those people when we need them? Its funny how all those people get together for illegals but cant do it for something just as bad as gas prices. Its a damn shame.

[edit on 25-4-2006 by Event Horizon]

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 09:42 AM
link   
i was going to start a thread on this and saw one already exists so here mine is.
Some of my preparations (on a college budget)
3 thosand dollars in gold and silver
a big tuperware box full of canned meat enough to last 1 person for 3 months
2 guns one shotgun and one rifle
3 cases of ammo
several bags of corn seeds
a bag of various tools
a giant bag of nails
a book on edible plants
a book on medicinal plants
small first aid kit
a handle of everclear (you never know)

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   
This is so frightening, I don't know how some people can take it so lightly. Will it really be like all that? Is it really going to be Mad Max? If this does happen the way people are predicting I don't know what I'll do.

I mean where should one if go if one lives in the suburbs?

[edit on 26-5-2006 by specter_smoke]

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I mean where should one if go if one lives in the suburbs?

well if you accept this for what it is by accepting it is really happening, you are already going where you need to go. you are leaving the suburbs and going to a place i like to call reality. sure you may still physically be located in the suburbs but you have left all your neighbors in the dust.

the long in short of it is that as far as preparations go who knows if what i have prepared or if what anyone else prepares will be enough. the most important thing is to do something.

can you imagine people trying to prepare at the end of the roman empire?
who knows if what they did saved them in the end, but im sure it gave them a better chance then the idiots who said rome would last forever.

good luck

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   
If you are interested in what is being/has been done while the age of oil is ending, read:

Michael Ruppert: "Crossing The Rubicon"
Decline of the American Empire at the end of the Age of Oil.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 01:22 AM
link   
End of oil? Martial Law? I say bring it on. This is going to be one wild ride thats for sure.

"'...Riders of the Storm..."

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 10:43 PM
link   

You need pre-arranged alliances every 20 miles or so. Trust no one, not even children - everybody will be acting completely out of character - and no one other than yourself should be thought of anything other than being "a couple of Tomatoes shy of a thick sauce". Irrationality and all the worst aspects of human social character will come to the fore immediately - law of the jungle/Mad Max/Omega Man, that sort of thing.

I'd be quite willing to live without oil but it appears the "taps" are at risk in the East, and Alberta although vast, can't crank out another 250000 Bbl/day anytime soon. If any real trouble starts petro-chemicals logistics is likely to fail pretty quickly, and then the "authorities" will have gas... you and me?

Dust off the mountain bike and tune 'er up - I'm going Libertarian/agrarian!

[edit on 15-4-2006 by V Kaminski]

There's plenty of oil lying around the world and especially here in America, It's just the whack job liberal nuts who won't allow for exploration. They the enviromentalist nuts will bring this country to an end if they continue to outsmart the American Sheeple, Not one REFINERY has been built in over 30 years in America, and you wonder why gas is over 3$ gallon, then again the ILLUMINATI are behind the PEAK OIL charade as planned, they're so predictable!

www.stansberryonline.com...Text

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 10:48 PM
link   
here's the link. www.stansberryonline.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   
BP: World oil and gas reserves still growing at healthy pace

How much oil and natural gas i left?

The world is NOT running out of oil and discussions about what would happen if it did is much like discussing how long you could survive if you choose to stop breathing 'for some reason'. There is so much information ( by me and many others ) on ATS already that i wonder why it keeps coming up....

Stellar

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I'm allready moving to electric, some of my lawn equipment is electric. I'm starting to build my own battery cells. I want away from oil. My vehicle may not immediately be electric, but I'm working toward squeezing more gas mileage out of it in the mean time. I do have plans for an electric vehicle.

I believe the technologies are there, you just have to find and use them.

Troy

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 01:46 AM
link   
There are a crap load of ideas to use. and its totally possible to build one your self. But not everyone is mechaniclly inclined nor do they have the time. That kicks some ass troy ! I think you inspired me to turn my mazda 3 into a water eating monster !

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join