It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you suddenly had the urge to read the bible lately?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   
About 4 months ago, I got the urge to read the bible, even though I've never read the bible much (thought it was confusing, boring). Four months later, I've studied the bible every day, attended several bible classes, joined religious forums (and ATS) and can't get enough! This just isn't like me. Today I was getting my haircut, and my barber said the same thing happened to him. And another person I know has said the same thing.
I'm wondering, has this happened to you?

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 05:26 PM
link   
i did, with a scary finding..

all of the bibles in my house (3 ranging from the family bible from 1875 to modern ones) opened on the same story...Cain.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Lately I've been looking through the bible, but more out of necessity then williness to "hear" God's word.

I've read it before, years ago. Cover to cover. The only thing I felt was disgust. Still, to this day I can't imagine how anyone can worship a being who act's in such a manner as he does. For the type of being he is, he should not require unquestioning worship of him, so long as people do good. For a being that is so called 'perfect', he should be without contradiction, not full of it. Sometime's I wonder, if there is a God then it's not the one in the bible that everyone worship's. That guy has to be Satan. Some part's of it atleast. And those are the part's that are used to commit sin.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Wow, infinite, that is kinda spooky. I've bought 10 bibles, but settled on two that I like. Both KJV.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Prot0n
Lately I've been looking through the bible, but more out of necessity then williness to "hear" God's word.

I've read it before, years ago. Cover to cover. The only thing I felt was disgust. Still, to this day I can't imagine how anyone can worship a being who act's in such a manner as he does. For the type of being he is, he should not require unquestioning worship of him, so long as people do good. For a being that is so called 'perfect', he should be without contradiction, not full of it. Sometime's I wonder, if there is a God then it's not the one in the bible that everyone worship's. That guy has to be Satan. Some part's of it atleast. And those are the part's that are used to commit sin.

That's a strong feeling. I found peace, and reassurance. I also found the opposite of doom. I've got a new hope for us.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I have to admit, that the complete opposite happened to me.

I was in a "hotel" and the usual book was place in the bedside cabinet. I only had the urge to put it into the draw inside the cabinet.

I find the bible to be unnecessary. Since when did hotels become a platform for bible bashing?

I have to admit that i have not ever read the bible nor have I read Harry Potter. However, I am sure that if you tally up the statistics of how many people in the Western world have read either?

Well, I am sure that the stats would be pretty close as to how many of the people in western society have read both stories.

Do you think that in 2000 years that a religion will be based upon the one true messiah, his holiness.. Harry Potter?

[edit on 5/4/06 by Creeping Jesus]

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I have no problem with Harry Potter, I've seen em all. I love the lead the world by example theme of the movies. But Harry Potter is not God. He may have been inspired by God though.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 05:50 PM
link   

That's a strong feeling. I found peace, and reassurance. I also found the opposite of doom. I've got a new hope for us.

I couldn't ever find peace in that book. It's too apocolyptic for me. Too much 'wrath' and 'smiting' from a supposed loving and forgiving God. Some of the stories are just way too out there or way to similar to older mythologies for me to take seriously. We also have to remember, it was MAN who wrote the bible at the end of the day, inspired or not. And there are many reason's to doubt it was inspired. For me atleast.

I see no hope in the bible, or from God or from Jesus. I'm a non-believer. For this, the bible and Jesus teach's that I will goto hell. I will not convert as a 'just in case' believer either. I see nothing in the bible as factual, so far as creation atleast. Nor can I accept that somehow, people were able to remember word for word, exact day and time's of what Jesus said, or full conversations. That's bull. Not one single person here can remember a full conversation they had with their mother on march 24th at 3pm in 2002. Word for word. No one on this planet can do that.

Meant to add. I don't need a book or higher diety to teach me right from wrong. It's common sense.

[edit on 5-4-2006 by Prot0n]

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Not one bit, really I mean now that you mention it... hmm. Maybe like 3 yrs ago and only to have some fun arguing. But honestly?
hell nah.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Well proton, we may only find the truth in the next life, if you believe in that. I've been more curious about the history aspect of it. And the mystery. But what I'm finding is that it makes sense. Yes there are some areas that take some faith to believe in, like parting the Red Sea. Somehow, the Bible remains to be the most printed book on the planet, so there must be something to it.
And I must admit, there is nothing peaceful about the wars fought over the beliefs outlined in it. This is where I think human pride and arrogance have taken away from the teaching of it. God simply says, if we want to destroy ourselves, he can do it for us and save a bunch of time and nukes.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Yes, daily, for years now.

I found it the best place to get away from all false Christian, false Bible bashers.

It was a total comfort and joy to find just how many of those lies told about God are just that, lies, and most often told by those who claim to be Christian.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Amen Suzy. I agree with you 100%. The so called christians are the worst. If you don't believe how they interpret the bible, you going to hell. They're the same ones who crucified Jesus, and preferred to let Barabbas go, because Jesus claimed to be the Son of God. But the bible says, we are all children of God, so they didn't even follow what they were preaching. The exact same thing is happening today.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 06:24 PM
link   
i've read the bible all the way through three times, to make sure i had my facts straight. all through highschool i was able to use my knowledge of the bible to help me during my essay tests. during those, your opinion doesn't matter, it's all about rhetoric. it's also helped me point out when some of the christians i know spew lies.

the bible is just a story, used to lull the weak into slumber. "yes, dear sheep, don't worry, god will make sure everything's okay. just lay there, vulnerable, and let me destroy you."

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I think the bible is the gateway to that certain thing we all know is out there, but just can't quite put our finger on.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   
i don't know there is anything out there other than us, aliens, and other beings that are equal to us.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 10:23 PM
link   
It's wierd but about 4 months ago i also started reading the bible pretty religiously (no pun intended), My faith has been very strong for the past months, it's starting to waiver again sadly I'm not sure why. But I can honestly say I think god has worked wonders in my life in the last months, I've had the best time in my life the past few months I quit drinking and my relationships and everything have been going way better.

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I have no desire to read the bible. I often wonder if the bible I have read is the same bible so many christians read and claim that god is love, that jesus saves etc etc. When I read the bible I see a god who likes to kill for sport, and a jesus who likes to play mind games with people and make false promises.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 05:48 AM
link   
OK, so I've really poured over the bible for the last year. It is His Story. Get it. History. It's a living book, and everytime I pick it up, I find something new.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrabEyes
My faith has been very strong for the past months, it's starting to waiver again sadly I'm not sure why.

Completely normal, trust me. This is one of those things that they should talk about in church but never do. Everyone has highs and lows. This goes for every subject including your Christian faith. Try changing things up a bit in your studies. If you're reading through Psalms, stop and jump over to Matthew or John. Pick up a new book to read or find something interesting on television.

I was having one of those blah moments last month and stumbled onto a show on the Military Channel. It was about war tactics in Bible stories. Seriously! The show stepped through many of the old Testament battles in great detail and gave me some insight I never had before. I had to go back and re-read some of those same stories again. It was new, fresh, and interesting. Try something new in your Bible study and see if that helps out.

In keeping with the topic here, I'd have to say yes. I've had better success with regular Bible study in the last few months than usual. The motivation to read stays pretty high.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 08:53 AM
link   
No

Can't say I have to be honest. Just read a great book on economics though.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join