It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you suddenly had the urge to read the bible lately?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Have you suddenly had the urge to read the bible lately?
Nope I have never had the urge to read the bible . The only thing thing in the Bible that would even remotely interest me is the mention of ancient civilizations but since there are other sources for the subject matter that would have less questions of accuracy hanging over them there is simply no reason for me to read the bible.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 11:24 AM
link   
No I haven't felt the need to read it lately. It's just a book like all other fairytales.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   
i read it twice, no reason to read it again. it's trite, boring, the pacing is off and the main character is cruel

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by stompk
About 4 months ago, I got the urge to read the bible, even though I've never read the bible much (thought it was confusing, boring). Four months later, I've studied the bible every day, attended several bible classes, joined religious forums (and ATS) and can't get enough! This just isn't like me. Today I was getting my haircut, and my barber said the same thing happened to him. And another person I know has said the same thing.
I'm wondering, has this happened to you?

Yes it happen to me. When I got out of jail. I was homeless for like there years. After jail I started reading the bible every day. Almost every I went. The bible is a never ending study of wisdom and knowledge. Why would'nt you want to know the will of God.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 05:48 AM
link   
No urge to read the bible at all. Got the urge to burn the bible and koran etc, or maybe use it to make roll your own cigarettes which is probably about the only thing they are good for. But why on earth would I want to read it again - it was rubbish the first time round.

G

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by shihulud
No urge to read the bible at all. Got the urge to burn the bible and koran etc, or maybe use it to make roll your own cigarettes which is probably about the only thing they are good for. But why on earth would I want to read it again - it was rubbish the first time round.

The bible has many good things it can do. Alot of the time it will open the eyes of some. Life after death is a big gamable. How you spend it is up to you.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by slymattb
The bible has many good things it can do.

no, the bible can't do anything past being a book.... just like any other book. or it could be used as a rudimentary blunt weapon if you'd like... or as rolling papers for cigs as shi said...

but really, it does have a few good things in it... but nothing that's independantly found in the bible.

Alot of the time it will open the eyes of some. Life after death is a big gamable. How you spend it is up to you.

right, why aren't you following the ways of odin, thor, and those othe norse gods and becoming a viking warrior so you can go to valhalla? why aren't you a devout muslim? why aren't you a buddhist so you can achieve enlightenment (actually, buddhists are cool about this, they just say you get a second life, then a third, and so on until you get it right)? why aren't you a hindu? why aren't you a jain? why aren't you a... the list goes on and on. you're actually taking a bigger gamble than we are. what if you, worshipper of yahweh, happens to die and be greeted by yahweh's rival deity baal?

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Why don't we bring the best of all religions, and form one?

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Why don't we bring the best of all religions, and form one?

because there is a fundamental flaw in all religions, it's called faith. it's something that poisons the mind and prevents it from using reason.

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 12:14 AM
link   
first i am not "religious" but don't be so naive to generalize "faith".

faith is very important in anything in life, it is a key to success in this world because it is a foundation of any belief. a faith that what you think is true. you believe it , and it becomes true 2 you, and your belief system determines how you interpret things thru your senses, and thus your reality. you are a co-creator and thus RESPONSIBLE for everything that happens to you. people don't like to admit this to themselves.

if you treat others the way u would accept them treating you and you try to have fun enriching people's lives, you can create things at will thru repeatedly asking for them to they materialize in the "physical world" as long as you continue to handle this responsibility according to the first two rules i described in this paragraph

the problem is BLIND FAITH IMO also the problem is people aren't that smart at least the way the mind works, and represtents information and things demands a critically thinking and flexible mind to get thru life's obstacles and sea of possibilities resourcefully

some people's beliefs are so simple that they protect themself from change that they aren't sure they can handle by closing there minds automatically to protect themselves, often subconsiously to new ideas and perspectives it is a type of survival mechanism. ever wonder why no matter how strong you evidence is of something you can't force a person to change there mind, change comes from within, when the belief system can handle it , then they will open there eyes and ears to contemplate what you say, and NOT UNTIL THEN

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   

right, why aren't you following the ways of odin, thor, and those othe norse gods and becoming a viking warrior so you can go to valhalla? why aren't you a devout muslim? why aren't you a buddhist so you can achieve enlightenment (actually, buddhists are cool about this, they just say you get a second life, then a third, and so on until you get it right)? why aren't you a hindu? why aren't you a jain? why aren't you a... the list goes on and on. you're actually taking a bigger gamble than we are. what if you, worshipper of yahweh, happens to die and be greeted by yahweh's rival deity baal?

Why aren't I following them?? could it be that they're not following the right path. God is out there, and there is a way he want people to follow him. Getting down on your knees and worshiping Alla (a statue) would not be one of them. For that matter praying to Mary would not be one either.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   

About 4 months ago, I got the urge to read the bible

I'm wondering, has this happened to you?

I was saved at about age 8. Got the nudge to read the Bible about 14 years ago(age 30) and have ever since.

Who is doing the classes you attend?

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Creeping Jesus
I was in a "hotel" and the usual book was place in the bedside cabinet. I only had the urge to put it into the draw inside the cabinet.

Since when did hotels become a platform for bible bashing?

You missed out.

ky.essortment.com...

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Why aren't I following them?? could it be that they're not following the right path.

many paths lead to the same destination
there is no destination that can only be reached by one.
(to paraphrase a buddhist monk)

God is out there, and there is a way he want people to follow him.

bit controlling, isn't he?
honestly, how the hell do you know this? did god tell you this?

Getting down on your knees and worshiping Alla (a statue) would not be one of them.

um, allah isn't a statue... actually, all depictions of allah whatsoever are considered sinful. even depicting mohammed is considered bad because it could lead to idolatry. actually, the muslims worship a far more abstract deity than the christians do at the height of their theology.. that means not counting the fundamentalists in either religion.

For that matter praying to Mary would not be one either.

nobody prays to mary like they pray to god... they tend to pray to mary to put in a good word for them.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   

many paths lead to the same destination
there is no destination that can only be reached by one.
(to paraphrase a buddhist monk)

Who said that, there are many things in life to which only one thing can be done. Or one way to get there.

bit controlling, isn't he?
honestly, how the hell do you know this? did god tell you this?

Honestly how do you know its not true. Whats the point in telling the truth, when the words are wasted.

um, allah isn't a statue... actually, all depictions of allah whatsoever are considered sinful. even depicting mohammed is considered bad because it could lead to idolatry. actually, the muslims worship a far more abstract deity than the christians do at the height of their theology.. that means not counting the fundamentalists in either religion.

Last time I remember and I do have a bad memory. There are people out there that worship allah, I seen pictures of people on there knees in front of a statue worship it.

nobody prays to mary like they pray to god... they tend to pray to mary to put in a good word for them.

"holy mary mother of God" Those saying is praying to Mary not God. Yes maybe not all do it this way. But we first got to know praying to God is the way to go. Mary cant forgive sins. And Mary is not the Mother of God. Jesus is not God.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   
madnessinmysoul.

Why do you have the word soul in your name, if you don't believe you have one? I thought only people who believe in God, believe they have a soul. And if you do think your soul exists, can you show me scientific proof.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

[edit on 23-7-2007 by stompk]

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Who said that, there are many things in life to which only one thing can be done. Or one way to get there.

there are actually quite few things in this world that can only be accomplished through one method.

Honestly how do you know its not true. Whats the point in telling the truth, when the words are wasted.

how do you know that neo-odinists aren't right? how do you know muslims aren't right? how do you know that buddhists aren't right?

Last time I remember and I do have a bad memory. There are people out there that worship allah, I seen pictures of people on there knees in front of a statue worship it.

you're half right, they are on their knees... but no statues. they always face towards mecca, because that's their spiritual center and the home of their religion... but they don't have a statue.

"holy mary mother of God" Those saying is praying to Mary not God. Yes maybe not all do it this way. But we first got to know praying to God is the way to go. Mary cant forgive sins. And Mary is not the Mother of God. Jesus is not God.

"holy mary mother of god/ pray for us sinners"
you forgot to finish it...
they aren't praying to mary for forgiveness of sins, they're praying to mary to pray for them..
and the rest is unitarianism vs trinitarianism. most christians would say that jesus is god.

madnessinmysoul.

Why do you have the word soul in your name, if you don't believe you have one? I thought only people who believe in God, believe they have a soul. And if you do think your soul exists, can you show me scientific proof.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

dammit, this always comes up. it's in my name because it comes from a song i was listening to when i signed up and couldn't think up a name. i use the term soul as a metaphor for mind, the same way einstein and sagan used the word god as a metaphor for the laws of physics.

[edit on 7/24/07 by madnessinmysoul]

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   

there are actually quite few things in this world that can only be accomplished through one method.

I think that was my point, but I wrote it wrong. I was meaning in God's world there is only his ways to find him and have life after death.

how do you know that neo-odinists aren't right? how do you know muslims aren't right? how do you know that buddhists aren't right?

Cuz I know, I would hope some day you would to.

you're half right, they are on their knees... but no statues. they always face towards mecca, because that's their spiritual center and the home of their religion... but they don't have a statue.[/quote/

I wish I would remember where I saw it but I say someone on tv worshiping a statue of alla.

"holy mary mother of god/ pray for us sinners"
you forgot to finish it...
they aren't praying to mary for forgiveness of sins, they're praying to mary to pray for them..
and the rest is unitarianism vs trinitarianism. most christians would say that jesus is god.

No where in the bible does it say that you can pray to mary, or that mary would pray for you. in heaven she would be on her knees all the time.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   
It's not a sudden urge for me to read the Bible, I tend to read a bit of it every day.
I find something new and interesting in the book every time I open it, and I can read portions that have different meanings to me depending on what is going on in my life at the time.

Though I do find the Bible an interesting book, like the Koran and many other religious texts, I remain an agnostic.

Perhaps my search still goes on......

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   

I think that was my point, but I wrote it wrong. I was meaning in God's world there is only his ways to find him and have life after death.

um, i meant there are few, as in little, as in next to no, things. and again, nowhere does god say that there is only one way to heaven

Cuz I know, I would hope some day you would to.

you don't KNOW, you simply assume.

I wish I would remember where I saw it but I say someone on tv worshiping a statue of alla.

that's impossible, there has never been a depiction of allah by muslims. the closest they get to representing allah is by writing his name in very pretty caligraphy.

No where in the bible does it say that you can pray to mary, or that mary would pray for you. in heaven she would be on her knees all the time.

and again, catholics don't work solely from the texts. they have philosophy on top of scripture instead of scriptural fundamentalism.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join