It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Professor Predicts Human Time Travel This Century

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   
theres a problem in that theory too. the reason it was created was for the conservation of mass/energy. unfortunately, the you that you travel back to would have to disappear as well in order for this to work. or in other words, you could make a time machine, but nothing can travel on it lol. defeats the point now doesnt it? but EVEN then your still breaking such laws by leaving your time frame and popping matter out of existance in that world.

theory wise you could come up with alot of ways and loop holes through theories of science that arent fully established. im just going by what would abide by the most basic principles of physics. once you get into quantum it gets extremely complicated and many more loop holes since its not figured out yet. i like to go with the elegant universe approach, one set of laws for all things in the universe rather then one set of laws for the big things, another set for the really little things.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   
What about if the way we can travel back in time is only observational? Similar to "ghosts" maybe some people will be able to see us but we wont be able to affect anything around us, ie. passing through solid objects. This would be the best was because no matter what the person did, they could not do anything to change what had been done.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 10:14 PM
link   
physically, that really wouldnt make much sense. what would occur to make this happen? physically such things are highly unlikely because theres no evidence to support why that would happen.

your not physically there in a matter form but your still energy. this change in form would have to be triggered in some way, and as of right now theres nothing to make that connection

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Holograms and neural interfaces could do the trick if they could really send the hologram back in time and allow interaction or/and observation.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   
well yea but thats not what he was referring too, theres not much difference between sending a hologram and going yourself other then maybe if you want to come back because your only delivering a message, but you risk not being able to come back. other then that, not much point.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Well, who really knows of what needs to be done to accomplish time travel? because if you do, hurry up and make a machine. What if the only way we can travel is send information back, and we are able to view this data due to how it interacts with the past. Maybe time travel will consist of basically just a window that we can look into the past, but we cannot do anything other then observe. Why would we want anything else. Anything else and we have the chance of miss-use. ruining everything we know perhaps.
kind of complicated to explain what I am thinking.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Would we age IF we did go back in time? Would the world continue without me in 'current time'? Is there a future that we could go forward into?

Surely this is the new biggest weapon since nuclear warfare.. It just seems far to far fetched and far to powerful a weapon. Taking The Terminator as an example these robots went back to the last link in the chain, If say OBL family was traced.. why go to the last link.. why don't they just go back 200 years before? Or attack him as a baby? If it was possible it would be like the coldwar x100 and i'm sure this could be the trigger for a WW3

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 06:55 AM
link   
When that time machine appears in the past, it will essentially be coming out of nowhere, what will happen toall ofthe matter that exists in the place where the machine materializes? Multiple particles can't exist in the same place at the same time.

I presume one could make the arguement that at the quantum level there exists vast open space, so something could materialize and never have it's quanta in the same place as another. That's a bit of a stretch though once you get on the macro scale.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 09:11 AM
link   
They may have the technology to travel back in time this century, but I sincerely doubt our physical bodies will be able to endure it. I think the human body still has some evolving to do before it will be ready to handle 'time travel'.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 10:20 AM
link   
If time travel exists in the future then one could assume that those who created it are already using it and affecting our lives this moment.

Since America is the sole superpower right now my assumption is that we are already getting information from the future.

Perhaps this is the real reason why Bush invaded Iraq?

Of course once they start changing history then all bets are off.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by acura_el2000
Maybe time travel will consist of basically just a window that we can look into the past, but we cannot do anything other then observe.

We already have such windows.. they are called memory

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven
Perhaps this is the real reason why Bush invaded Iraq?

Of course once they start changing history then all bets are off.

Oh please, save the Bush crap. He's not smart enough to manipulate history through time travel. You're giving him way too much credit.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   
to answer the first question. multiple universes theory explains it all. basically it wouldnt be much of a weapon. mainly because it doesnt change our worldline, merely their world line. its a theory that all time exsists at one, or to some, not at all. they believe this because of quantum mechanics and such.

the idea that matter can pop into and out of existance randomly is in fact a possibility in quantum physics, which breaks the laws of physics on the larger scale because this isnt possible. THIS is why we need a unified theory of physics before we can have an understanding of time travel. the prosed theory is string theory. i suggest everyone try to learn as much as you can at least about the theory of it.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
The only way to have a time machine remain stable is for the creation of alternate though similar timelines. If you travel back in time in your own timeline you will unmake the machine, it's components would become their unrefined parts like metal, and wood at a home depot, then go further back and the tree hasn't even grown yet and the metal hasn't been mined.

You would need to stabilize your own mini time bubble around your time machine which keeps it constantly in the same shape as your original timeline.

Now in that same theory you go back in time and burn the wood and destroy the metal that would have been part of your machine, and poof your machine pops out of existence leaving you stuck somewhere in time.

Also another thing that may be tough, sure you can travel back and forth through time, but how do we determine our route. I think that it could become possible to travel back in time, but how do you select when? Can a mere c-mos battery which remembers the time on your computer do the trick? What if you go forward and the software limitations don't allow you to superceed the year 3000 per say, or won't go back further than the 1980's when computers started to log time for us readily. It's like the y2k scare again, where the programming didn't allow for the year 00, would we skip back to the year 1900?

I dunno am I rambling?

-ADHDsux4me

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Christ! Not again.
Haven't we gone through all this before with John Titor?
We've come full circle. Darn.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I actually remember seeing him on a special on the science channel last year. I must say that after having his theories explained in detail it does seem entirely possible. Without trying to explain it in detail, essentiallly we'll only be able to send things back in time to the date that machine was first swithed on. If i recall correctly, the machine uses a series of lasers arranged in a spiralling grid,which bends space time around it.Which slows down time for whatever is in this spiral allowing it to go back in time. Would be interesting to see if it works.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Hope it's true. Neither God nor the aliens have staged their promised rescues, so it's time for the scientists to start pulling their weight.

Time travel would give a whole new meaning to "vacation time" and "time out." Solve the overpopulation problem too.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   
If it's true that a seperate timeline begins once you go back, is it possible that someone travelled far back in time, and created what we perceive to be history?
What I mean is, could someone have gone back in time to create an organization like the illuminati, just to control the world? Are we in a false time-line?

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Whether time travel backwards would result in the Grandfather paradox is not the issue. I believe the Universe for what it is would be able to "fool proof" itself against any civilization capable of developing any technology that could threaten its existance. So the destruction of the known universe due to backwards time travel is highly unlikely.

[edit on 5-4-2006 by Blakstar26]

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 02:04 PM
link   
if timetravel would be possible, nothing of history would be safe.. who says.. any person from the past who;ve done great things could be a possibe time traveler just visiting a time and playing king for a couple of years, using his knowledge of the future ( his past ) to do so.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join