It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

do any ats members actually not believe in aliens?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Earlybird
If there were only a one in a kagillion chance of another intelligent civilization in the universe, and the universe is infinite, then aren't there an infinite number of intelligent civilizations in the universe?

No, stats don't actually work that way. A coin has a 50% chance of hitting heads, but that doesn't mean that in a set of two coin throws, you've got 100% chance of at least one heads coming up.

It is allowed that something be highly rare, but not impossible, and still not exist even once in an infinite universe.

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   
That's the ticket.

And furthermore, some physicists hypothesize that the universe might even be holographic in nature, meaning that the universe might consist of identical cells of identical events and structures. That argument was based on a comprehensive statistical argument thrown down onto Scientific American sometime in the last few years.

But most interestingly, if that holographic hypothesis were correct, then intelligent life elsewhere in the universe might be you!

Holographic Universe-Wikipedia

[edit on 28-3-2006 by Ectoterrestrial]

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by sigung86

Originally posted by ArMaP

Originally posted by GlassRunner
The skeptics are full of wishful thinking, they seem believe in whatever makes them comfortable.

As long as they leave the others alone and do not make lengthy posts trying to convince them that they are the ones that are right, I do not think that this is a bad thing, almost everyone has his wishful thinkings, right.

Just kind of curious here... You're saying it's not alright for skeptics to come on ATS and post lengthy posts as to why they believe there are no aliens? However, it would appear that if it goes along with your belief systm/paradigm, then lengthy posts are ok????

No, I am not saying that.

When I saw the post from sigung86 it reminded me of the discussion between skeptics and believers in another thread about seagulls/UFOs.

And no, I do not believe in the presence of inteligent life forms from other planets in our own, altough I believe in the possibility of the existence of inteligent life forms in other planets.

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 04:29 PM
link   

No, I am not saying that.

When I saw the post from sigung86 it reminded me of the discussion between skeptics and believers in another thread about seagulls/UFOs.

And no, I do not believe in the presence of inteligent life forms from other planets in our own, altough I believe in the possibility of the existence of inteligent life forms in other planets.

Yeah... Ya gotta watch that sigung86!!! He's a bully who believes he's always right.

Actually, I'm kind of sorry you feel that way about me. I like to get people involved in discussions, and frankly, would love to be proved wrong on the whole UFO thing. However, it seems more the case with believers vs non-believers that it is far easier to group up and slam on or try to denigrate non-believers or, more correctly in my case, fence sitters, than to engage in discussion with them.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join