It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: N. Korea Suggests It Can Strike U.S. First

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Assuming NK even has workable nuclear devices.

And assuming NK was hell-bent to use said devices against the US (or her allies).

And assuming that the little nut-job isn't totally suicidal!

Who says that the attack would entail the launching of a missle!?

Why would a despot loony-tune, identified by a number of authorities as a full-blown paranoid, even consider risking one of his precious nukes on a less-than-reliable home-grown missle?

NK has, over the years, been responsible for any number of covert incursions into South Korea, right? Can we also assume that a fairly well developed smuggling apperatus is in place from the South to the North? Hows else would Lil' Kim maintain his supply of "snazzy sunglasses"?

Is it too far-fetched to think that it might occur to Some One in NK to use either covert ops or smugglers (likely killed once their services were rendered) to secret a NK nuke into SK?

Once the NK's get their device into SK, a trusted ally and MAJOR US trading partner, it would be simplicity itself to "arrange" for the device to be delivered to ANY port in the US. Granted, you could detonate it in place; but the attack would be a bit obvious as to its source, and we are assuming that Ding-Dong isn't suicidal, right?

Just think how suprised the US will be when that shipment of KIA's goes KA-BOOM!

And then what do we do? "Glassify" South Korea? Blame Al-Queda? Try to prove that it was NK, while the rest of the world goes "But the terrorists were mostly Suadi"s..." ?

When your enemy is busy guarding his doors, it's most effective to sneak in from the cellar.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bhadhidar

And then what do we do? "Glassify" South Korea? Blame Al-Queda? Try to prove that it was NK, while the rest of the world goes "But the terrorists were mostly Suadi"s..." ?

They can trace the Uranium used in any such bomb to its origin. Uranium has a isotope, U-234. Concentrations of that isotope vary widely among uranium deposits and mines around the world.

These bombs have fingerprints that can be traced back to thier place of Origin. It would take longer then if they just launched a missile but the response would be the same from the US once they found out this bomb came from N Korea.

apc

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I still feel the response would be conventional.

Why would we nuke them? There would be no need.

Why do you nuke an enemy? To destroy his ability to wage war. To destroy his method of operation. To kill his leadership. And to kill all those who support him.

How many NK civilians support their government?

If NK hit us with a nuke, in any shape or form, it would be simple murder for us (the US) to retaliate in kind. They would use a nuke because they don't have anything better than a BB gun (dramatization). We can use cruise missiles, stealth bombers... really cool tanks, etc.

We learned how to play the nuclear game with the Soviets. Everyone else are relative newcomers to the arena. They still think they can hoop and hollar about the fact that they have "The Bomb" and it actually means something. Yeah... it means we're concerned about them selling it to the highest bidder. And we tend to act acccordingly.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 01:09 AM
link   
You would be wrong apc a nuclear attack by any nation on the US would invoke a nuclear retaliation , That is the whole point of nuclear deterence. Theres not a whole lot that would make the US use nuclear weapons but the use of any WMD against the US by a foriegn power would do it. This has and is still the policy of the United states concerning WMDS attacks.

There is no it wouldnt be fair the Poor N Koreans arent a equal match garbage, Only morons want a fair fight in a war.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 01:51 AM
link   
North Korea may have a few nukes, but the delivery system will not work. Delivery is the key to mass destruction devices. North Korean will only justify our use of the best nukes and delivery sytem in the world.

Classroom maps will just show a big hole, where North Korean was.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I'm curious folks, where in that article did NK say or imply that they would use nuclear weapons in a preemptive attack? Surely they do not believe the US would launch a preemptive, high yield NUCLEAR attack on them? That's lunacy! But I guess that's exactly what ole Kim is known for huh?

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka

Originally posted by Beachcoma
North Korea has been saying that it can nuke the US since it got nuclear weapons. Anyone who knows a South Korean can confirm this.

Why is this suddenly made known to you US folks now?

Because most of my fellow Americans are brain dead buffoons. Most of them are idiots living in a fantasy world.

I made a thread when I talked about them threatening us. Hey, Beachcoma, did you know that NK fired a dummy missile at us that landed in Alaska? If you live in America, chances are you don't know about this.

I love it, though. You have people saying, "yeah, boyee, bring it on, glass parking lot!" Yet, these same people likely agree with the current US policy of pre-emptive strike. Just like the headlines: how DARE Iran say they'll fight back if they're attacked! Have you ever heard of such evil, the devil must be running that country!

It would be funnier than ComicView if so many people weren't dying. Oh, what the hell, I never miss out on a laugh at morons...

I didn't know about that Alaskan missile. But then again, I don't live in the US. I agree though, strange how some Americans (maybe more than some) can beat the war drum for Iran when it hasn't threatened the US directly. Yet NK has been saying they can nuke Washington and most people just scoff at it, even though NK actually has nukes.

But the point of my original question is, why is this made known in the US news now, at this moment? What is the real reason the US media revealed this information that most of us Asians have heard of since NK got it's nukes at this point of time?

apc

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 03:49 AM
link   
To distract from Iraq and Iran, of course. Make it seem that we are way worse off than we actually are.

We all know what is going to happen with Iran. They are going to continue their nuclear ambitions, and we are going to destroy their ability to do so.

As far as NK is concerned...

You would be wrong apc a nuclear attack by any nation on the US would invoke a nuclear retaliation , That is the whole point of nuclear deterence.

We would not retaliate with a nuclear strike against North Korea. We would be murdering millions of innocents just to get rid of a single totalitarian dictatorship.

Did we nuke Iraq? No. We just removed the SOB from power using military force. GB Sr saved the job to give GB Jr something to do.

Say NK somehow someway killed a few million Americans with some kind of nuke. Hard to even justify the numbers considering the tech involved, but just hypothetically. What would happen?

Would we nuke NK? How? Would we pop 1 MT off in the capital? Why? What good would it serve? The effective destruction of operations that a few cruise missiles could accomplish accompanied by a million or so innocent bodies?

Of course we reserve the policy of nuclear retaliation. We would be stupid not to make such a policy public. But we had the same policy during the Cold War. The consequences were the same then as they are now: We vaporize an entire country, and every form of life on this planet sustains impact in some form.

The only way a full scale nuclear attack is going to occur is if Russia or China are primary combatants. Everyone else get to be regarded as "rogue elements" and delt with through a desimating conventional 1-2.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Hmmm I'm going out on a limb here... North Korea, puppet state controlled by China. Check. But who pulls China's strings?

Well we had buying of US ports knocked out of the House because an Arab company wanted to do this and who was whining the most about that? But now we got Chinese subs parked off L.A. Gee do the people that don't like Arabs are they the same people that tell China what to do and are their buddies?

Huh is it true??

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 05:48 AM
link   
My, haven't american attitude changed since Hiroshima. Now its nukes cant hurt us?

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 08:02 AM
link   
LOL at somepeople here saying USA wouldnt nuke NK back, DER of course USA would nuke NK you think the USA would let them get away with killing millions or 100 of thousands of american citizens if NK did a premtive nuke attack, let alone all the radiation etc etc

you really think the USA would say oh deary me lets not retaliate with our nukes but use conventional methods, although NK has nuked our coasts and some citys and we now got radiation and devistation all over those places.

[ATTEMPT AT CIRCUMVENTING CENSORS REMOVED - PLEASE DON'T DO THAT AGAIN] me you are really stupid if you think the USA responce would not be ICBM's against NK,or an unknown secret weapon deployment one of those would be the responce.

TBH i cant beleive some people think the USA wouldnt use a nuke if attacked with nukes unbelievable really is, so USA has nukes for show and fun and never would use them would send a big welcome message to TERRORISTS and Enemy Nations.

[edit on 3-22-2006 by Valhall]

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaFunk13
. But Kim Jong is a nut, and if he thinks for one second that attacking first ensures victory, he wont have to worry about apologizing to his people because the whole north half of that island will be reduced to ashes.

Threads like this depress me, because it all drops into the "my dads bigger than your dad" argument, and peoples ignorance and lack of education start to show.

Korea is a Peninsula, not an island. You would think that as America fought a war there in the 50's they would teach that in US schools.

As for anyone advocating the use of a nuclear weapon - be they from any country - I would suggest that they have never looked at the histrocial records following the Hiroshima or Nagasaki bombs, the total devastation and the lingering, continual effects on the community.

One of the more disturbing images from Hiroshima shows a school building. The building is made of concrete and looks remarkably untouched. Fact is that everything in the building spontaneously ignited and burnt itself out almost immediately, so the outside structure survived but nothing else did.

Go take a look at your local school during a normal weekday when its full of kids from all ages, and ask yourself what they have done to deserve such a potential fate. And then remember that everything in a 1-30 mile radius can suffer a similar end depending on the yield of the weapon, and that is only the immediate fireball and NOT the blast radius, or the radiation effects.

The come back to me and talk in terms that glorify the use of nuclear weapons by anyone.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   
You will also notice that I didnt say anything about Nukes. I dont believe in them. And I understand that Korea is a peninsula...I was just writing a quick post early in the morning. I wasnt trying to dazzle anyone with my knowledge of Asian geography. And I know plenty about the effects of our attack on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, as well as the levels of radiation still present there and at Chernobyl.

Lemme rephrase what I ment to say....If Kim Jong really wants to threaten us I fear that this trigger happy administration will react without restraint. I didnt advocate it. The whole thing makes me sick. I want to see this whole thing end peacefully, but the drums are only getting louder. I am far from glorifying the death of anyone...even Ding Dong. I would rather see him forced into acting on Broadway. He has good style for musicals. Maybe West Side Story?

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 10:07 AM
link   
It burns my buttons that NK is left alone, like the angry short kid in gym class who says if you don't pick me for dodge-ball I'll slash the tires on your new 1985 pinto. All the while we (America) think hey let's go pick on the weird kids and take their lunch money (Middle East & oil).

America's nose should be in it's own business, if we spent a fraction of our new and ever expanding war budget on fixing our domestic crisises like homelessness, improved healthcare reform, unemployment, education, and revitalization of inner city and rural economies, we just might be the friggin utopia our forefathers imagined.

But no, let's ignore blatant threats hollow or not NK, and beat up on the weird kids, who later mass together with others who have felt the slight, and hurl stones at us while we duck and cover saying "We'd kick your butts if we could find you!"

True patriotism is supporting our country from bottom to top in that order, and our foundations are ever shakier, we have an ever dwindling middle class, an ever growing poor, and a few small but getting richer wealthy class.

On that note we need to raise the minimum wage to $10/HR the realistic amount needed for even poor class americans.

I'm tired and I may have rambled.

-ADHDsux4me

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   
yeah , and theres a reason why they are called `deterrant`

NK launch , usa see the missile in the air and launch

russia and china see icbm`s laucnh go to def con 1 and launch - use them or lose them.

usa gets glassed.

world goes to hell in a hand basket

australians sit on beach wondering what all the fuss is about.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Just read yesterday that the USN has officially decided to convert 24 Trident nuclear ballistic missiles to conventional 'prompt-strike' ballistic missiles. Carrying anywhere from 24 to 96 warheads. Now I just wonder if they are going to re-convert those SSGNs to each carry 6 of these plus a bunch of Tomahawks, or just have each SSBN carry about 2 of them.

[edit on 22-3-2006 by NWguy83]

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
NK launch , usa see the missile in the air and launch

russia and china see icbm`s laucnh go to def con 1 and launch - use them or lose them.

usa gets glassed.

Usually you can tell by a missile's tragetory where it is heading. Unless you have old radars and still think it's the Cold War... Russia

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   
`hello Mr Putin , NK have just hit us , were gonna hit them back - ignore the incoming there just arcing over you country but won`t hit you`

`yes mr bush we believe you - have a nice day`

[edit on 22/3/06 by Harlequin]

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   
It seems to me that North Korea just likes to talk alot of bluster about attacking the United States. They would know it would be sheer suicide on there part as America would launch a full scale invasion. I´m not sure if they would use nuclear weapons becasue of the close proximity to China who would not welcome some unpleasent radiaiton on there soil. If N korea really wants to hurt America they would have to moderate there stance first, become closer allies with China and provide a united front against Japan and the US, and supply a nuculear weapon to a terroist group crazy enough to use it with out it being tracked back to them.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc

Did we nuke Iraq? No. We just removed the SOB from power using military force. GB Sr saved the job to give GB Jr something to do.

If Saddam used WMDs we would have.

You have to be kidding comparing the Gulf war to a nuclear attack on the US by N Korea.
This wouldnt be a attack by N Korea on a military target it would be on a civilian city L.A perhaps millions would die and N Korea would recieve ten fold what they started.

We would be murdering millions of innocents just to get rid of a single totalitarian dictatorship.

We have done it before for alot less then nuking a a bunch of US cities and it would happen again. Once you use nukes on cities all rules are off and civilians become legitimate targets just as they were in WW2.

Any convential attack would spell the end for Seoul in a matter of hours. North Korea could in the first hours of a war, rain between 300,000 and 500,000 artillery shells onto Seoul. They have stated they could turn the Capital into a firestorm of death and they could.

Your convential attack response to US cities getting nuked is a fantasy and any US president would get lynched by the American people if they tried it.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join