It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students walk out in protest of teacher suspension

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 10:17 AM
link   
The kid who started all this toruble has a ever so popular Myspace..he thinks he is a comedian.
People also are telling this kid what he did was great...
It is a little too Hitler Youthish for me!

www.myspace.com/seanallencomedy

[edit on 7-3-2006 by b777pilot]

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
The Free Republic has it.

However, Shots expressed some doubts as to the character and credibility of the posters on the Free Republic website. But the poster said he had it faxed from the school.

I saw that, but I also don't trust "exclusive" printed documents, and the consideration to call was before you had mentioned that the Free Republic had it yesterday. I suppose I could get a faxed copy, and find out if it's given to the students before or after they start the class. If it's after, and the student wouldn't want to be involved in that kind of discussion that is contrary to the class' description, the student would have to drop the class and take a study hall instead. Considering 3 Social Studies credits are required to graduate high school, and the University of Colorado requires World Geography to be one of those classes, I don't think it's fair to change the class description after it's too late for the student to back out without possibly having to go to summer school (this summer the class is not offered, nor was it last) or have a 5th year of high school.

“Hi, my name is Jake XXXX(y’all don’t need to know that
) with ATS News Network. I was hoping you could fax me a copy of the syllabus Jay Bennish would hand out for both his World Geography class and Human Geography class so we can present the full story.”

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by b777pilot

Of course it is. You disagree with him, so he must be a Hitler Youth. :shk:

Here's a little info on the Hitler Youth. You read up and tell me if this kid is a Hitler Youth or Youth like. Let me know if he's pro Aryan. Let me know if he's more focused on military and physical education than any kind of historical, literature, etc. education. Let me know if he and his group (the people who support him, I guess) go around the school in paramilitary uniforms.

And let me know if there's a severe penalty by the state and citizens if he doesn't do that. You let me know.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   
what I meant! was OMG the teacher says something he dosent like..so he goes and turns him in!!!
Hitler youth did that!
just like people calling bush hitler...is bush really hitler???
This kid dont know his a**hole from mommy and daddys X5!
His life is going to be FILLED with people saying stuff he dosent like,what is he going to do then??

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 10:40 AM
link   

what I meant! was OMG the teacher says something he dosent like..so he goes and turns him in!!!
Hitler youth did that!
His life is going to be FILLED with people saying stuff he dosent like,what is he going to do then??

So does the NAACP. So does the ACLU. So does the gay community. So do college students who don't like what other students say or write. So do Muslims. So do Hispanics. So do Democratic congress people. So do feminists. Are they akin to the Hitler Youth in your perspective, or did you just want to throw an emotionally charged comparison out there, so you could compare conservatives to Hitler?

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 10:43 AM
link   

I hear you. And I sometimes get a creepy feeling about the whole extreme Christian republican youth movement, too. I don't mean conservative or republican, I mean extreme.

And any comparison to Hitler, like I said earlier, whether it's just a feeling or an observation, isn't tolerated well by some. After all, that's really what this whole story is about. This teacher made a comparison between Hitler and Bush, It doesn't matter what he actually said, what matters is that he uttered both names in the same sentence and now he's got people all over the country calling for his head!

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   

People also are telling this kid what he did was great...

Actually, the TV news is reporting that his school mates
are harassing him and he was told that for his own safety
he should stay home.

I haven't seen that on the internet.
But the TV news was reporting it.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Actually, the TV news is reporting that his school mates
are harassing him and he was told that for his own safety
he should stay home.

Which is NOT right! It's understandable and predictable, but it's not right.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 11:12 AM
link   

The issue here is not the rights of the students to protest. Remember that school is not a democracy.

...snipped some nonsense...

So keep in mind what he real issue is here: the actions of the teacher. And he was wrong in what he did.

I love it when wingnuts say things like this: "School's not a democracy" or "a job isn't a democracy" as if in a free society you can create special little areas where the principles of free speech and free thought don't apply.

Secondly, the teacher was not wrong in "what he did". I've listened to the entire recording of what he said in class that day and in fact he was accurate in everything he said. When he described the things that George Bush and Adolph Hitler have in common, he clearly said that he wasn't saying that they were the same, just that there were similarities. And there certainly are.

Adolph Hitler was an authoritarian, anti-intellectual, who had an absolutist view of the world. He governed by creating an environment of fear among the populace and by appealing and enraging the least educated, most angry portion of the public. This is precisely what George Bush has done. If you look at the many investigations fo the demographic breakdown of the 2000 and 2004 elections (The University of Chicago's NORC has one of the very best), you will see a clear trend that the people who voted for George Bush were mainly uneducated or undereducated, they were people who have a pronounced anti-learning, anti-intellectual bias, and were people for whom anger, jingoism, xenophobia and a basic lack of understanding of current events were defining characteristics.

By constantly playing on the media's hysteria over 9/11 and by manipulating the manufactured fear in the populace through the use of the color-coded "alert" system and carefully coreographed press leaks about phoney terrorist threats, and even the manipulated release of an audio recording of Osama Bin Laden, the Bush Campaign played on the fears of this less-educated strata of society, thereby eking out a narrow victory in 2004, and actually getting fewer votes in 2000 than his opponent. It was a remarkably skillful manipulation of public opinion through the use of media images, very much the way Hitler manipulated his population using the films of Leni Reifensthal and fascistic posters and music.

Today, as in Germany in the 1930's, we're seeing an all-out attack on education by the theofascists in America. Using a continuing barrage of planted media stories about "outrages" in education, an atmosphere of suspicion of education and learning is created, and at a time when America is doing a poor job educating their young compared to the rest of the world.

Add to this the constant attacks on the scientific establishment with tired canards like "Intelligent Design", and "Faith-based education", and you have a recipe for a totalitarian state.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   
The kid who taped his teacher deserves some credit, though. Have you seen a picture of him? It must be tough enough to go to high school when you have Down's Syndrome, much less work an audio recording device.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake

“Hi, my name is Jake XXXX(y’all don’t need to know that
) with ATS News Network. I was hoping you could fax me a copy of the syllabus Jay Bennish would hand out for both his World Geography class and Human Geography class so we can present the full story.”

Think about it. The school knows darn well there may be a possible lawsuit over this issue. With that said what do you think the advice of the schools attorney would be? He would tell them not to discuss or release any information to anyone.

That was my reason for doubting what the one individual stated that he did in fact receive a faxed copy.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by vuoto
The kid who taped his teacher deserves some credit, though. Have you seen a picture of him? It must be tough enough to go to high school when you have Down's Syndrome, much less work an audio recording device.

Wow...That's about all I can say in response to that...

As to your other comments, you think students should be allowed to walk out of school if something upsets them and have no penalties? I'll bet the students wish they could, too. See, most schools call that ditching, but if they say they're protesting the white tiles in the hallways because they're racist, then it's acceptable. Interesting.

To the rest of your "facts", since when was the definition of "fact" changed to be that of "opinion"?

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 03:19 PM
link   
News Hounds

March 07, 2006
FOX News STILL Misrepresenting Colorado Teacher Story

"Real Journalism" FOX News continued to mischaracterize the walkout of students from Overland High School in Colorado. As I previously posted, the chyron at the bottom of the screen on last Thursday's Hannity & Colmes, STUDENTS WALK OUT OF SCHOOL AFTER TEACHER'S RANT, gave the misleading impression that the protest was due to the teacher's "rant," when in fact it was because of his suspension. After three days, FOX News still can't get the facts straight.

And some from the interview with Matt Lauer:

Bennish: "I certainly think there could be some constraints to what teachers would say but everything that was discussed in the class fits within the curriculum of the class. My class syllabus clearly outlines all of the material that will be covered. This is signed by parents, this is registered with the school. It's been approved by the school."

Lauer: "Had you gotten complaints from students? Had parents called saying, 'My student is not comfortable with some of the messages you're delivering in class?'"

Bennish: "No I have not and, you know, like I, like you said and I would like to reiterate that this is 20 minutes, most people are not listening to the entire tape. And this is 20 minutes out of a 50 minute class and the rest of the class provides the balance."

Lauer: "The, the, the family here, the, the student's family didn't go to the school board with this tape. They went..."

Bennish: "They never, they never contacted me and they have still never contacted me with any type of concerns."

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Bennish: "They never, they never contacted me and they have still never contacted me with any type of concerns."

Nice how he left out the fact that others have complained about him in the past isn't it?

She said he was the subject of similar complaints a few years ago, but said that case was resolved after Bennish met with a parent and the school principal.

Source

OH Vey makes ya wonder what new lies he will come up with next?

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots

Nice how he left out the fact that others have complained about him in the past isn't it?

OH Vey makes ya wonder what new lies he will come up with next?

Oh, please! He didn't lie! He was asked if Sean's family had contacted him! Not if he'd ever had a complaint.

You've accused me of "leaving things out" too and you were WAY off base then, too. That must be a tactic of yours. It doesn't work.

Just because someone doesn't tell their life story, doesn't mean they're lying or trying to hide something. You're going to have to do better than that. That's embarrassing.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Oh, please! He didn't lie! He was asked if Sean's family had contacted him! Not if he'd ever had a complaint.

Yes he did read, from your own transript above.

Lauer: "Had you gotten complaints from students? Had parents called saying, 'My student is not comfortable with some of the messages you're delivering in class?'"

Bennish: "No I have not"

Now what was that you were saying about not lying???

You've accused me of "leaving things out" too and you were WAY off base then, too.

Really!!! What about the taped file from Brad that you yourself said sounded very creditable?? Put all the incidents together and you will have a crew to nail his coffin

[edit on 3/7/2006 by shots]

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Hmm, that seems to be taken out of context, Shots. Lauer asked, "The, the, the family here, the, the student's family didn't go to the school board with this tape. They went...", to which he replied he had not.
His other denial, while false, could be considered true if he understood the context to have been from that specific class that year. If Lauer were worth his weight in journalistic dirt, he would have followed up with, "Ever?" The interview was softball, which was annoying, but many of Jay's answers were still rather telling.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
If Lauer were worth his weight in journalistic dirt, he would have followed up with, "Ever?" The interview was softball, which was annoying, but many of Jay's answers were still rather telling.

I agree and if you go to MSNBC,s website you can watch the video versus reading the transcript.

As to the point about other parents complaining his lie is after 2:30. Listen closely matt Asks "Had you gotten complaints from students? Had parents called saying, 'My student is not comfortable with some of the messages you're delivering in class?"

His answer was no which is an outright lie as evidenced by the school board statement I quoted above.

Video

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   

As to the point about other parents complaining his lie is after 2:30. Listen closely matt Asks " Have you gotten any complaints from parents saying their students were not happy with your class" (not those exact words) sorry I was too lazy to listen to it several times to get the exact wording.

Being too lazy to get the facts is not an excuse. Maybe it's good enough for you, but not for me.

The link to the transcript is posted on this page. Too lazy to read it?? You know, shots, you asked me to listen to Brad's recording before further commenting and I did. I sure wish you'd do me the same courtesy of reading my posts before responding.

Let's talk about CONTEXT

The interview was obviously about this particular class, not about Bennish's entire career. When Matt Lauer asked:

"Had you gotten complaints from students? Had parents called saying, 'My student is not comfortable with some of the messages you're delivering in class?'"

He was clearly talking about the parents of the students in THIS particular class. If you want to spin it so he's lying, it only makes it look like you don't have a solid position and have to make things up. Which... I'm beginning to think is the case.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Let's talk about CONTEXT

The interview was obviously about this particular class, not about Bennish's entire career. When Matt Lauer asked:

"Had you gotten complaints from students? Had parents called saying, 'My student is not comfortable with some of the messages you're delivering in class?'"

He was clearly talking about the parents of the students in THIS particular class. If you want to spin it so he's lying, it only makes it look like you don't have a solid position and have to make things up. Which... I'm beginning to think is the case.

No that is just an assumption on your part and you know it. Read the context it makes no mention of this class or others that means it could be taken to mean more then just this class.

As for the rest had you checked I already had edited my previous posts which included corrections with the exact statements from the transcripts.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join