It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is it about Kanye West?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I feel really bad because I usually don't hate people, but this guy makes me really uncomfortable! Is it because he can't sing? Is it his arrogance? Is it because of 'antics,' which I feel are only to increase his popularity? Is it because he wears his religion on his sleeve like some kind of personal accomplishment?

Is it all of these things? Yes. And I feel bad. But I can't stand him.

It's not because he's a rap artist. I love Emimem , who seems more 'black' to me than Mr. West. Perhaps it's a feeling of inauthenticity. Yeah that's it. I feel like Kanye is always 'acting', never being authentic.

What is the general feeling about him around here? Like him? Like his work?

I'm just curious if I'm alone because he seems pretty popular.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 06:55 PM
link   
His music really annoys me.. I admit some rap/hip hop people actually do make decent music as in they put their heart into writing the music. But I just really, really, really dislike Kanye West, Golddigger got on my nerves after the 3rd time I heard it (I didn't like it the first time) but now that I've heard it for the millionth time it makes me want to break stuff.

I do have some bias.... I really don't like much rap at all, I'm mostly a rock fan but I do like some music that has parts of rap in it for example songs by the band Gorillaz. That is all... lol

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I like some of his music Benevolent Heretic,
especially Gold digger I agree with you though he seems to be a bit of a self publicist in the worst possible way and I know what you mean about him seeming inauthentic,whats with all the samples as well?

Gimme Dre any day.

[edit on 27-2-2006 by buckaroo]

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I agree. 100%

I dont like him either.

Its many reasons...and not just gold digger, which is like nails on a chalkboard.

and that he said "George Bush hates black people" at a phone thing to help raise money for Katrina.

And that he was b*tching at a music award because he didn't win a grammy for his 'jesus walks' song.

And I'm a fan of rap, I like a lot like Eminem, DMX, Dre, Young Jeezy, T.I., etc. But I dont like any of his music.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I like my rap too, but I gotta admit I'm not a big fan of Kayne,

I think he's beat's are sometimes really good but his vocals are poor.

He's done well tho, sold a lot of albums

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Emimem

I just noticed this. MMM

Anyway, Kanye must have a huge fan base because I see him everywhere. He must be doing something right. I wonder who he appeals to.

I feel better after getting this out of my system and seeing that I'm not the only one.
The negative feelings are dissipating. I still think he sucks, but I don't feel the 'hate' thing. I don't like the hate thing.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Unlikely as it may seem what with him being a mamas boy and all two security men were shot up outside one of his concerts here in England the other day down in Birmingham ,he must have some fans as the guy doing the shooting wanted to get in to the concert!

breakingnews.iol.ie...

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Gee did this guy sell his soul to the devil too?

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Firstly, I am a huge hip hop fan. (Its the only culture I got.)

I hate to be the only one on here to defend Kanye, but what he has done for rap is not limited to his mediocre rhymes. As an MC I give him a C+, and that is only because his lyrics are about things he is familiar with...like God, the industry, girls, cars, etc... This is leaps and bounds in a better direction than what artists like 50 Cent tout...like gun toting, crack sales, etc... I do believe these things SHOULD play a huge part of hip-hop because it is a part of the culture, but at the same time, it should not be fictional. I dont condone advocating violence to be cool. Rap contains violence because rappers lives contain violence, or at least some do. Kanye is a rich kid with a gifted ear for music. I can admire the fact that he writes music with an honest view. An honest past...if you will.

Plus, the guy has taken old soul samples and made some of the best beats of the last 10 years. Lyrics and delivery aside, his beats are genious. Let us not forget he made his name producing for some of the best. He is arrogant because he is the best, most sought producer in the industry. Maybe not the best rapper, but one of the most admirable.

He has made it very clear that he is in the business for one reason...$$$. His singles are sell-outs. No #. They all are. Listen to some mixtape stuff. Listen to the stuff he does for fun, rather than the stuff for money and you will recognize his true talents.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaFunk13
Firstly, I am a huge hip hop fan. (Its the only culture I got.)

I hate to be the only one on here to defend Kanye, but what he has done for rap is not limited to his mediocre rhymes. As an MC I give him a C+, and that is only because his lyrics are about things he is familiar with...like God, the industry, girls, cars, etc... This is leaps and bounds in a better direction than what artists like 50 Cent tout...like gun toting, crack sales, etc... I do believe these things SHOULD play a huge part of hip-hop because it is a part of the culture, but at the same time, it should not be fictional. I dont condone advocating violence to be cool. Rap contains violence because rappers lives contain violence, or at least some do. Kanye is a rich kid with a gifted ear for music. I can admire the fact that he writes music with an honest view. An honest past...if you will.

Plus, the guy has taken old soul samples and made some of the best beats of the last 10 years. Lyrics and delivery aside, his beats are genious. Let us not forget he made his name producing for some of the best. He is arrogant because he is the best, most sought producer in the industry. Maybe not the best rapper, but one of the most admirable.

He has made it very clear that he is in the business for one reason...$$$. His singles are sell-outs. No #. They all are. Listen to some mixtape stuff. Listen to the stuff he does for fun, rather than the stuff for money and you will recognize his true talents.

You have voted DaFunk13 for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

Very well said, you backed all your opinions and basically took anything I was going to say and improved it.

I am abit of a fan of Kanye and I appreciate the stance he makes. Not the most talented rapper, but very successful.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Kanye who!?! Seriously, I don't listen to the radio so I've never heard of him. Actually I thought it was a female by the name until I began reading into the thread.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   
The fact that his hits sell -out doesnt mean that he is GREAT, just mean most ppl have bad taste.

Mozart is GREAT and he doesnt sell number one singles.

Kanye West is another good example of how some ppl become obnoxious when they make "some" money.

He is an extrordinary example of hypocricy... as he rhymes to save the African children caught-up in the Serra Leoa diamond conflict, he than turn arounds around and makes all sorts of rhymes about "the sistas booties".

I personally think there are better rappers than him, if he is even a rapper.
I think I have to tip my hat to Ice Cube, N.W.A, and some others for in a way sticking to their original sounds and lyrics, even tho i would not agree with them... At least they are not total sell-outs to the Pop-Rap culture.

The only thing i like in most rapp is the sound... the lyrics are in 99% hatefull and hypocirtical.

Kanye West just happens to be the flavour of the month... floating in millions of dollars, while he whines about the "poor brothas and sistahs in the 'hood", and how much "Bush is a racist" another great Pilar of todays society.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I don't like him either, but first I have to figure the whole "Brittany Spears" thing before I get to Kanye.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Kanye is a rich kid with a gifted ear for music.

I just don't think he should vocalize. I don't have an ear for beats, but I sure can tell if someone can sing and this man cannot sing and his rapping is mediocre at best. I'll take your word that he's talented, but his vocals overshadow his talent for me.

I don't like 50 cent much, but compared to eminem and some of the more refined rappers, Kanye just can't hold a candle, and I don't understand his popularity, but again, I'll take your word for it. Maybe he should just do beats for other people or something.

It's all a matter of taste, really, I know that. There's just something about the guy that seems 'off' to me.

Curme, I saw that Brittney's pregnant again and Kevin doesn't want the baby!
(Sorry, guys)

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Well, I dont think Kanye ever proclaimed himself a singer. He does sing a bit, but he never promised you would like it. Thats part of what I admire about him. Sure his radio hits are retardedly catchy...hence annoying, but which arent? The guy knows which buttons to push for the $$$. So did the Beatles. The admiration comes from the other stuff. The stuff he does when he doesnt care if you like it. You spent $20 for the cd already stupid.

You guys act like there is some unspoken reality to the hip-hop game. All he has to do is find the fine line between how rich he wants to be and how true he can stay to TRUE hip-hop fans. He happens to jump that line like night and day. Listen to more than the # you hear on the tv and on the radio and on mtv and humor the guy and buy the album...hell burn it...its not like he really is trying to raise awareness for the slaves in diamond mines...

uh...wait...he really is. I cant believe whoever knocked him for that song. He took a topic that so many people know nothing about and dedicated his #1 single from his album to it. While other rappers are bragging about their diamond and platium medallions he is talking about the African children that spend 18 hours a day mining those diamonds so you can spend 100 grand @ Jacobs. He deserves more credit than you can imagine for that.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Kanye West

here's a song dedicated to him I found jayzus

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 12:35 AM
link   

I cant believe whoever knocked him for that song. He took a topic that so many people know nothing about and dedicated his #1 single from his album to it.

I did not knock him for the song, i knocked his hypocricy... He sings about the poor children (and by the way... does he not wear diamonds?..oh of course his diamonds HAVE to be conflict safe.), he sings about gold diggers... whic he seems to surround himslef with or even be one of them... and he sings about the "sistahs" booties... like thats a respectfull way to address someone, and than yes ..Jesus ... Jesus ... right after the bootie....

Kanye West is not a musical genoius...he is just another overpaid "starlet", that other starlets wann-bes kiss up too.

And thank God i do not need Kanye West to tell me there are children beeing exploited in in Africa so the "ladies" can have their "rocks" ...

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I don't think I have ever heard his music but I liked this young man's heartfelt honesty. What he said about the Katrina's catastrophe was not scripted, it was said with a great deal of nervousness, pain and anger. That's what made many people uncomfortable, its not something we are used to seeing on American tv.

Our news reporters give us scripted news reports with a fake smile every 5 minutes. We are so used to the fakeness on tv when we actually see someone lay their anger, and pain out in front of us we feel uncomfortable. What Kanye West did was put his career on the line, when you go that far, it's never fake. He was painfully honest and I admire him for it.

[edit on 14-3-2006 by goose]

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Jeez I can't believe I am defending this guy again...

So it makes Kanye a bad guy because he made a song about HIS peoples quasi-slavery and still wears a couple rocks? I assure you his stones are conflict free...he can afford it. Are yours?

And on to the bootie thing. I tell my girl she has a wonderful bootie all the time. It isnt offensive. Its a culture relative thing, and it obviously isnt yours.

His song about a gold digger...Well, lets see. Have any of us ever been so rich you could never tell who your true friends and lovers were? How would you ever know if she really cared about you or if she just loved riding around in the Ferrari and getting you to buy her a new purse. Its a song about a very real thing in his life. Methinks you are searching mighty hard to not like the guys rhymes. You dont have to like the music, but there are much worse things being said both about diamonds and women.

And what a terrible fella promoting Jesus and a little bit of morality in a genre so void of either. The fact that he wears expensive clothes and likes "booties" and Jesus at the same time makes him an overpaid Starlet? I wonder what you guys do for work.

He is cocky. He is annoyingly catchy. He is probably the most arrogant person in the business. Thats because people have been pulling every string they can just to get him to produce their single, let alone he has how many # 1 hits on his own album? Once again, listen to some mixtape stuff. Dig some of the OTHER stuff on the album. Matter of fact...Buy Common's "BE." Its one of the best albums of the last couple years and Kanye produced every single track. You wont have to deal with his arrogance, bootie talk, or diamonds. You can just listen to his SOUL-induced genious, and Common's mastery of our language.

Even I appreciate his musicianship more when he doesnt rap/sing, but that is no reason to slam the guy. Just turn the radio, or buy a new cd.

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 03:03 PM
link   

And on to the bootie thing. I tell my girl she has a wonderful bootie all the time. It isnt offensive. Its a culture relative thing, and it obviously isnt yours.

I don't buy dimanonds, for the simple fact that noone in this world can guarantee me that they are conflict free... diamonds or any other considered "precious stone"...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join