It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Depleted Uranium video on google is Shocking

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TELLYOURMATES
OPEN YOUR EYES - OPEN YOUR MINDS...

U MAY FIND YOUR UNBRAINWASHING UNPLEASANT..

YOUR GOV HAS NOT BEEN HONEST WITH U..

ITS TIME TO WAKE UP AMERICA!!!

HEY HO... ITS NEVER NICE TO BE WOKEN FROM A DEEP SLEEP!!

... but it does help to be awakened by performing your own research, coupled with collaborative discussion through an exchange of factual information, instead of simply basing your opinions upon agenda-driven propaganda. ? Your thoughts ?

-edit for spelling & grammar-

[edit on 1/23/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek
well crap, I cant argue with all caps now can I? If you open your eyes you can read my response to the propaganda. I use real facts and everything.

[edit on 23-1-2006 by Dronetek]

im interested in hearing the facts. backed with info of course. come with it now, let the debunking begin or walk way and come back when you have the proof AND can show us immediately.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 06:48 PM
link   
sorry - caps lock off now

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 06:54 PM
link   
10 billion years? uh last i looked u-238 has a halflife of 4.5 to 10 years and the u235 which has a halflife of 700 million years, only 0.2% is in depleted uranium.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TELLYOURMATES
HOW CAN THIS BE ALLOWED?!!

Shocking!!!

Mod Edit: to remove big quote

[edit on 23-1-2006 by kinglizard]

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   
As bad as DU is agent Orange and other defoliants which are STILL used (ie: Colombia and Bolivia). It causes cancer, deformed and blind children, and kill's crops. Another example of Bush barbarism. Most people will only understand how serious this is when the (almost assuredly) coming NWO goverment does this to American citizens.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   
nakash
or when facts show its effects, which so far shows radiation poisoning is minimal, nothing proves signifigant effects from DU, assuming high cancer rates and birth defects are from if is not proof.

[edit on 23-1-2006 by namehere]

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797

well crap, I cant argue with all caps now can I? If you open your eyes you can read my response to the propaganda. I use real facts and everything.

im interested in hearing the facts. backed with info of course. come with it now, let the debunking begin or walk way and come back when you have the proof AND can show us immediately.

I already posted on page 1! You are so quick to post a clever response that you arent even paying attention to what is being posted.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Namehere

DU causes heavy metal poisoning (it's mass is more than x10 that of lead). It also causes brain tumours and respiratory disease. Plus it's radioactive (though that is less important obviously).

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 08:11 PM
link   
It is not radioactive, which you would know if you had read the entire thread. The rest of what you said is exaggerated also.

brain tumours and respiratory disease

It can cause respiratory disease if the dust from exploded ordinance is constantly inhaled for long periods of time. If one if constantly saturated in it for long periods of time can also cause problems. Even then, it’s a chemical problem that can be dealt with. In fact the main concern with DU was birth defects, although they have never been able to prove that. You could have read these and other facts in the links I provided on page 1.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 09:32 PM
link   
dronetek its hard to catch info when your edit your post after we reached the second page to actually include information. then act like it was there all along to make you look smart
i was reading from the begining and your info wasnt there originally, but w/e nice try with the two edits.

EDIT: so now i read your two links. one from wiki which is pretty much disgaurded, find a different reliable source. wiki isnt considered reliable because the fact it can be easy modified to be wrong.

and your second link it www.military.com .......so now we are going to believe the same people that possibly did the damage in the first place? are you expecting to find that they would accuse themselves of a crime? if they said yes DU is dangerous then that would work against them heavely would it not? they arent going to incriminate themselves, plain and simple.

give me something more then an uncredible source and the same people who are trying to avoid being caught poisoning their own people for info.

[edit on 23-1-2006 by grimreaper797]

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 09:38 PM
link   

It can cause respiratory disease if the dust from exploded ordinance is constantly inhaled for long periods of time. If one if constantly saturated in it for long periods of time can also cause problems. Even then, it’s a chemical problem that can be dealt with. In fact the main concern with DU was birth defects, although they have never been able to prove that. You could have read these and other facts in the links I provided on page 1.

Sounds like somebody believes the crap they where force fed in the army? Breathing regular dust for long periods of time can cuase "problems" Breathing any noticable amount of dust from DU ordinance and you would have some serious problems. And the fact that you say it "can be dealt with" is pretty irrelevant to the millions of innocent people your country has put at risk with this.

Its a pity that Gulf war syndrome didnt wipe out all these savage mercenaries.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 23-1-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 10:44 PM
link   
It's a joke really. Why not use DU in America then? I'm sure those L.A. gangs with Kalashnikovs are just as bad as those "insurgents". Oh but wait- you don't want to breathe that crap right?

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Depleted uranium results from the enriching of natural uranium for use in nuclear reactors. Natural uranium is a slightly radioactive metal that is present in most rocks and soils as well as in many rivers and sea water. Natural uranium consists primarily of a mixture of two isotopes (forms) of uranium, Uranium-235 (U235) and Uranium-238 (U238), in the proportion of about 0.7 and 99.3 percent, respectively. Nuclear reactors require U235 to produce energy, therefore, the natural uranium has to be enriched to obtain the isotope U235 by removing a large part of the U238. Uranium-238 becomes DU, which is 0.7 times as radioactive as natural uranium. Since DU has a half-life of 4.5 billion years, there is very little decay of those DU materials.

www.fas.org...

# Under most circumstances, use of DU will make a negligible contribution to the overall natural background levels of uranium in the environment. Probably the greatest potential for DU exposure will follow conflict where DU munitions are used.
# A recent United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) report giving field measurements taken around selected impact sites in Kosovo (Federal Republic of Yugoslavia) indicates that contamination by DU in the environment was localized to a few tens of metres around impact sites. Contamination by DU dusts of local vegetation and water supplies was found to be extremely low. Thus, the probability of significant exposure to local populations was considered to be very low.
# A UN expert team reported in November 2002 that they found traces of DU in three locations among 14 sites investigated in Bosnia following NATO airstrikes in 1995. A full report is expected to be published by UNEP in March 2003.

www.who.int...

In 1994, CDC collaborated with the Mississippi Department of Health and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to investigate reports of adverse birth outcomes among members of two Mississippi National Guard Units that served in the Gulf War. This investigation found no increase above expected rates in the total number of birth defects or in the frequency of premature births and low birth-weight babies. The frequency of other health problems, such as respiratory infections, gastroenteritis, and skin diseases among children born to these veterans also did not appear to be elevated.

One of the most powerful emotional tactics of the campaign against depleted uranium is to show horrific photos of birth defects that are alleged to have been caused by depleted uranium. This argument has been presented to me by several activists and in each case it is done in a way that I find most striking and astonishing. The astonishing part is that the activists never feel the need to demonstrate any connection between depleted uranium and the birth defects. It is as if the mere presence of birth defects in a country where depleted uranium munitions were used is enough to establish a cause and effect relationship. Perhaps that is at least remotely rational since it seems to be common knowledge that radiation can cause birth defects. Radiation is known to cause birth defects such as retardation and small head size but these effects are only found with very large doses of radiation and not from uranium, either natural or depleted.

A related but not identical effect of radiation is that of inheritable defects. Bear in mind that a birth defect is not necessarily a hereditary effect. The best expert opinion, including a report of the United Nations Scientific Committee on Effects of Radiation, is that "radiation exposure has never been demonstrated to cause hereditary effects in human populations". One of the largest study populations is that of the survivors of the atomic bombing of Japan. According to the U.N. report, "The absence of observable effects in children of survivors of the atomic bombings in Japan, one of the largest study populations, indicates that moderate acute radiation exposures of even a relatively large human population must have little impact."

It is important to note here that the report does not claim that it is impossible for radiation to produce hereditary effects, but that the frequency of hereditary effects (from radiation) is very low compared to the baseline frequency of hereditary effects from other causes even in the case of a large radiation dose. According to the U.N. report a substantial dose of 1 Gray is likely to produce adverse effects at a frequency of less than one percent of the baseline frequency of these adverse effects. [A one Gray dose is approaching a lethal dose] Another factor that enters into the situation is that when the activists show photos of birth defects, there is normally an absence of information as to the radiation exposure, if any, of the parents. Two unlikely probabilities, multiplied together, immensely reduce the chances that the observed birth defects were caused by depleted uranium. That unlikely situation does not reduce the shrill cries of alarm from the activist groups, however.

www.ntanet.net...

Non-military links to DU information. DU is only dangerous in very large amounts, and only if you breathe in the dust.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 04:40 AM
link   
So depleted uranium isn't dangerous when it's exploded?

So we've found a way to safely destory nuclear waste then right? Why isn't this method being used in a big pit in the middle of nowhere if it's such an effective way of destroying depleted uranium?

We can all rejoice, for experiments on Iraq have shown us that used up uranium is no longer toxic for multiple lifetimes when it's exploded!!
No more depedency on Oil, we can go nuclear!

(oh, just blame the 16 fold increase of cancers in Iraq since the '91 Gulf War as something else, like pointing at Saddam and jumping up and down)

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 04:44 AM
link   
No, DU is MOST dangerous when it explodes. We're not saying that it isn't. We're saying that it's not going to leave a country irradiated for 10 billion years, or whatever the OP originally said. Yes DU can be dangerous, but if it was as dangerous as people say why don't more A-10 crew chiefs have cancer? The shells in the cannon use DU tips. Why don't more tank crew members? It's a DU sabot round. The fact is that it has LESS radiation than normal Uranium when it's in the solid form. When it DOES explode it takes more than just breathing it in once or twice to get sick from it. It takes sustained exposure to it.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 06:39 AM
link   

dronetek its hard to catch info when your edit your post after we reached the second page to actually include information. then act like it was there all along to make you look smart i was reading from the begining and your info wasnt there originally, but w/e nice try with the two edits.

It was always there. The only edits were to fix spelling errors.

nd your second link it www.military.com

It's not a website run by the government or military. It's an independant site. Regaurdless, all that info is reliable as you can check it out on other fact sites.

Its a pity that Gulf war syndrome didnt wipe out all these savage mercenaries.

Wow. Mods?

So we've found a way to safely destory nuclear waste then right?

Please explain how DU is anything like nuclear waste. The links provided explain that DU is less radio active than natural uranium, which has such low radioactivity that its harmless.

All you are doing is making comments out of your ass without taking anytime to educate yourself on the facts. Which is pretty sad considering we quoted and bloded all the relevant information. I mean, we are giving you facts that you seem to be completly ignoring.

[edit on 24-1-2006 by Dronetek]

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 07:56 AM
link   
dronetek, i may not read every single word everytime, but when two long quotes from websites suddenly appear...i notice.

thanks for the other sources zap. only thing i want to know is, since deplete uranium didnt cause it would you say all the other chemical and bio weapons that were massively blown up into the air the causes for such problems? do you think maybe this second gulf war was just the clean up crew because we couldnt finish the war after all these chemical and biological agents were blown up into the air?

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 08:06 AM
link   
There is speculation that Iraq's chemical weapons caused it. Lets remember that Saddam had used them before and we know they were transported all over Iraq.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 08:24 AM
link   
yes this is true, saddam did use such weapons. lets also keep in mind the video footage of men inside a complex full of weapons that are almost certianly very harmful if blown up into the atmosphere, which they were told to do.

lets say they did blow it up and all these chemicals went into the air. now aside from the weapons that were already used on the land which could still be active weve just assured that these chemicals are active, dangerous ...and airborne. now since one of these complexes hold an unknown amount of material, we could agree the possibility that if such a complex were completely blown up with explosives a sufficient amount of this material would go airbourne and be a very potential health risk?

now that we have one complex blown up lets take the hundreds of others we blew up. this is an extremely large amount of chemicals in the air now. i mean we are talkin about one of the most powerful armies of that time as far as their capabilities go. if we look up all the weapons chem/bio/ect. and then took into consideration at least HALF of it went airbourne from bombing these complex, that it could cause many health risk, especially to people who either a. werent told to wear their protective suites or b. had faulty protective suites.

would you agree this is a possibility at least?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join