It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Depleted Uranium video on google is Shocking

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
why don't more A-10 crew chiefs have cancer? The shells in the cannon use DU tips. ...

An A-10 crew can't breathe in the DU stuff when it fires the cannon. DU-rounds are only dangerous after they explode, when the DU-particles scatter into the air as DU-dust particles. DU in itself isn't that dangerous, its widely used in armour, anti-armour weaponry, and even as counter-balance in large commercial aircraft.

Q&A: Depleted uranium weapons

Ray Bristow was tested - in Canada - for DU. He is open-minded about the role of DU in his condition. But he says: "I remained in Saudi Arabia throughout the war. I never once went into Iraq or Kuwait, where these munitions were used. But the tests showed, in layman's terms, that I have been exposed to over 100 times an individual's safe annual exposure to depleted uranium."

Doug Rokke, a former US army colonel who served in Vietnam, was sent to the Gulf in 1991 to advise on cleaning up radioactive debris.

He says almost every member of the team of 30 experts he took with him is now seriously ill, and three have died of lung cancer.

Others say they have children born with defects.

[edit on 1-24-2006 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I personally handled DU ammunition for many years, and I am in fine health. We were always told that the ammunition was no more dangerous that exposure to a old TV set.

While it is probably true that extended exposure to high amounts of DU dust is very unhealthy, I would venture to guess that exposure to 1/2 the heavy metals on the periodic table in the same format is probably just as unhealthy.

The fact of the matter is that this ammunition was designed to destroyed our enemies. The long term effects on how it affects our enemies (those who survive) after the war was probably not a primary consideration, nor should it be.

While DU dust is probably making Iraq a less healthy pace to live, I am willing to bet that more civilians over there are probably dying from unexploded ordinance, land mines, and so forth......versus that of DU, which was used primarily in unpopulated, non-urban areas.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 11:10 AM
link   
DU is a possible cuase of birth defects (slight increase in war zones)
BUT!
and this is an important BUT people
not the hideous defects that are used by activists... they literally go into a book about birth defects and look up the most hideous pictures to use as propaganda...

The unfortunate truth, is that most of the birth defects that occur from DU are minor, and don't always show on the surface (heart murmurs, diminished lung capacity, brain damage, common fetal development problems)
but the pictures of these birth defects just dont get that "OHH MY GOODNESS" type reaction that activist need...

Yes, the original film is pure propaganda...
But realize, that the info you get from the gov, and gov supporting sources is also BIASED towards the safe side...
the truth lies somewhere in between
IMO that the need for disposal, cost savings, and the small risk to the population is why this is still used so widely. Floride is the same way.

As to the soldiers that have handled it... I truly hope you never develop any problems from it... but due to the way your body handles these kind of toxins, you may not know for 10-20 years.
lung contaminates will often "incapsulate" so that they are less dangerous, but last much longer in the body. (this is the method that the body uses to deal with asbestos/cotton contamination in best cases)

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Well said LazarusTheLong!

/\ /\ /\

Now that is denying ignorence!

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Let me get this str8, you see a video that claims the deformaties are caused by the DU and since plutonium is highly radioactive and uranium is also radioactive, DU is like the person said above, no worse than a old tv.

You forget to remember that Saddam has dropped chemical weapons on his own country, why didnt that cause the damage, no, it was automatically the americans.

Du didnt do that, Saddam did.

Train

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Doug Rokke.
God what a joke HE turned out to be. He claims to have lead a team of 100 men, and 30 have since died. That's not entirely accurate.
Don Rokke is a peace activist against DU and will do anything to prove that DU is evil.

The following information from the military "Special Assistant on Deployment Health" paints a quite different picture. Unless Rokke can come up with the names of most of the 30 who he alleges have died, I will have to believe the government information, rather than Rokke's claim. Rokke seems to have exaggerated both his role and the number of people who have died since the cleanup. Here is the email from the official government source:

>>>>We can offer some accurate information to correct the record. Rokke is a private citizen and does not represent the Department of Defense. Following the ground war, Rokke was attached for duty to assist technical experts in the recovery and decontamination of radioactive material and equipment. The team of approximately 10 people was led, not by Rokke, but by a civilian from the Army Munitions and Chemical Command (AMCCOM). Rokke's primary role was to facilitate the recovery operations by ensuring the team had the proper support. Over the past years, Doug Rokke has reported varying numbers of ill or dead members of "his team." These claims have been researched and are unsubstantiated.

In 1998, our office compiled a list of 29 names of people Rokke reported to be on "his team." Staff members were able to interview 22 of them. Approximately 15 of the 29 people Doug Rokke had identified as being on "his team" actually worked on DU-contaminated vehicles. Two of the 29 had died, however, in interviews with the others, neither of these two veterans was named as having worked with depleted uranium. While we respect Rokke's right to express his opinions, the fact that he presents himself as an expert, does not make it so. His role in the Gulf War and at the Chemical School, as well as the specifics of his educational background, do not qualify him as a depleted uranium expert. These areas fall well outside of his area of expertise and responsibility.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Yep - I am sure that Depleted Uranium is COMPLETLY HARMLESS and that we have to Trust the Military what they say, for they have NEVER ever Lied to us in the Past and I am sure that they would not lie to use this time regarding the Depleted Uranium.

Yep, there is NO HARM from Depleted Uranium.

I wonder what happens to People who LIVE in those Lands, where the Noble US Armed Forces dropped tons of Depleted Uranium.

Yep - Completly Harmless.

Anyway,
Great Find - Video!

[edit on 24/1/06 by Souljah]

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I dont think anyone claimed DU is harmless. Only that problems being attributed to DU, are probobly not caused by DU.

That image you posted means nothing. I can post random pictures that make wild claims too. Why cant you post a credible counter argument that is backed up with facts that can be verified? Instead of doing that, you post a propaganda poster that proves absolutly nothing.

[edit on 24-1-2006 by Dronetek]

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Yep, Good old Dr. Rokke.

Dr. Rokke’s doctorate is not in physics.

He briefly was an assistant professor of environmental science at Jacksonville State University, Alabama, but never gained tenure.

“He said DU caused many of the more than 206,000 cases of Gulf War Syndrome reported by veterans of the Gulf War…” He has no proof of this statement because no proof exists despite the efforts of many researchers, both inside and outside the Department of Defense, who continue to look for such proof, not only for depleted uranium, but also for many other substances.

Dr. Rokke has “rapidly developed cataracts and kidney problems…” DU is incapable of causing cataracts. Uranium is capable of causing kidney problems, but this effect has a threshold and is a chemical, not radiation effect. I suggest that the amount, if any, of DU in Dr. Rokke’s body is nowhere near this threshold and challenge him to prove otherwise. Medical literature refutes the implication that DU caused these alleged ailments.

One wonders how U.S. troops feel about the potential exposure to DU.” I hope that our soldiers are not apprehensive because of the misinformation spread by Dr. Rokke and others of his persuasion. They have enough real dangers to worry about. I do know that many Gulf War veterans talked about how they felt when U.S. DU munitions defeated enemy armor at great distance and when U.S. DU armor deflected enemy munitions. They felt good.

DU munitions and armor are not hazardous to our soldiers. They protect our soldiers and win our battles.

And by the way I loved the photoshoped nuke sign on those barrels in that link Souljah, read the responses at the bottom of your first link. They tear the page apart.

Linky Linky

-DT

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I just checked out that second link Souljah, the tank looks like it could have been hit by anything as there is no text and just a picture. Heck I think I'll take a picture of a wet cat and say Bush spits on Cats!

And since it comes from this blog :

WARNING! THIS LINKS TO A RACIST ONE SIDED PAGE.

LINK

I don't have much faith in a blog that's name is "NOT COUNTING (Insert a slang term for a black person.)"

Nice research.
sheesh.

-DT

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Depleted uranium is only dangerous when it's burning - and this happens only shortly after the attack and the effective harmfull range is extremely limited (just few meters). So for example if someone is in the vehicle which was hit the burning DU can cause hime health problems. But it will rarely cause health problems to people who will come to site few hours after the attack. So it's hard to believe children and civilians would be affected. Also there are many veterans living with DU shrapnels in their bodies.
Also some people tends to think DU is used in every bomb - that's not true. In fact it's used quite rarely especially for penentration purposes that means for killing tanks (SABOT, and 30mm ammo). It's almost never used in bombs or for antipersonal attacks. Also most weapons that use it are kinetic weapons that dont explode, which means there is low probabilty for DU to be scattered across the enviroment. Conclusion - DU is almost certainly not responsible for all those numerous supposed deaths and birth deffects.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 05:29 PM
link   
This is getting so funny, all you people on ATS talk allot but not one of you does anything. You say they need overthrown yet wont do anything, and given the chance you will stand down. I hear allot of BS from people "oh I care!" but in your mind you dont give a flippin *banana* about those people let alone anyone other than yourself. Yes I am ticked off, REALLY ticked off at just how arrogant people are. Its not just here but all over the US, I can go to the local school and get a dose of this "I care but dont care" or just go to a place of business and get the same.
I think everyone here needs to just stop, dont say you get revolted by scenes, dont comment about how bad things are, dont say a word about "carring" anymore. Why? Because you say one thing but meen another, when will you learn that lying is not acceptable? If your part of the equasion then your part of the problem, if you fought in Iraq then your part of the problem as well. Even my friend who fought in Vietnam was part of the problem and still is for having fought there. Just because you dont agree with what was done just the fact you fought is enough.
I will stop here before people go head over heals because of what I just said, even though I dont care I do it for self amusement.

Mod Edit: Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 24-1-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Vekar, I take your comments as a personal attack. After serving my country so people like you can spew your filth, I'm not at all surprised you still do. But, unlike you, I fought to defend that right.
People like myself that serve, do so that this country stays free. Please keep that in mind, before you go spouting off, again.

Thanks,
Lex

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
Yep - I am sure that Depleted Uranium is COMPLETLY HARMLESS and that we have to Trust the Military what they say, for they have NEVER ever Lied to us in the Past and I am sure that they would not lie to use this time regarding the Depleted Uranium.

Yep, there is NO HARM from Depleted Uranium.

Souljah, The Military of the United States is an all volunteer force, and the compasion they show towards their enemies is something on a godly level. I have seen countless videos on Discovery HD theater about the soldiers and the military hospitals in Iraq that are filled to the brim with IRAQIS who are being injured by the insurgents, and yes, some are injured civilians by our own bombs, and they are treated with the best medical technology in thew world, but this is war, and the fact that we try to save enemy lives shows you something. The military people in the US are compasinate humans, the most compassionate on the planet and don;t think that they are stupid either.

Our military is made up of people who care for not only their lives but others, so if the US was using DU and it was as bad as you say, the soliders would be pissed and up in arms because they are not savages. They know its safe and it doesnt cause the suffering that video shows.

If you are looking for someone to blame for the deformities, look no further than the chemical weapons saddam dropped on his own people. It is clearly documented and the side effects coincide with the weapons he used. Case Closed.

Train

Mod edit: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 24-1-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Typical answers from typical people on the whole, I have heard them a million times and think them as bull. None the less DU is a problem caused DIRECTLY by the US invasions, no one else. The deformities ALL coincide with the effects on troops who used DU and therefor the link is made showing that is DU that is causing these problems. No point in fighting gunho bushers when they will never change people, and the same goes to the gung ho bushers who fight people who do not support him. No point in it at all.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   
What deformities? The study by the CDC didn't show a major increase in deformities in the troops that came home from GW1 in the long term. The article about them was blown way out of proportion, and misquoted, as most arguments about DU are.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   
There is a lot you can do besides sitting around feeling helpless.
They are sitting around feeling above all else so they are relaxed.
Therefore we both are failing at maximizing potential maximum strength.

They feel secure.
We are insecure.

There is an impass at such a reality.

In my view always and forever, the insecure... the underdogs... will always have 10 times more heart and passion. Therefore I expect you all to win (the intelligient on this forum, no matter what color or religion).

So when is the last time you took a karate class?
Or bought a book that will teach you Tai Chi?
Or even ate right?
How many push ups can you do in an hour? 60?

Though you say you feel helpless, I have proven yourself as to why.
They control an army and you control your lazy self.

Stand up.
For once in you life, you must listen.
In order to kill us they would have to bomb us.
Currently, they do not have to because we are weak as a whole.

It only takes one unarmed man to kill an armed man.
If that unarmed man kills the armed man... that man is now an armed man WITH the ability to kill an armed man whilst he himself is unarmed.

Who will win now?

If we try...

[edit on 24-1-2006 by ChibiChan]

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Typical answers from typical people on the whole, I have heard them a million times and think them as bull. None the less DU is a problem caused DIRECTLY by the US invasions, no one else. The deformities ALL coincide with the effects on troops who used DU and therefor the link is made showing that is DU that is causing these problems. No point in fighting gunho bushers when they will never change people, and the same goes to the gung ho bushers who fight people who do not support him. No point in it at all.

why does this sound like :

LALALA...I can't hear you....lalalala!!!

Are YOU the only different one?

-DT

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 09:48 PM
link   
It might be a good idea at this time to chill a little.
We need to remember to respect others and their opinons, especially when the debate gets a bit heated.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Sorry DontTreadOnMe.

but the "Typical answers from typical people on the whole" sort of got to me.

I'm not. nor would I expect anyone HERE to be typical.

I was looking for fact or atleast a link.

I should have said so in a more formal tone or requested one.

-DT

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join