It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AboveTopSecret.com is a Government COINTELPRO Disinformation Operation

page: 36
<< 33  34  35    37  38  39 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unferth
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I don't know if the government is in control but there does seem to be a HIGH level of tolerance for little childish behavior such as putting down other's conspiracy theories. At the same time the OPS are very much against somebody defending themsleves or taking control of threads from these little buggers. Look, if you act like a conspiracy friendly forum, you need to allow people to exchange ideas without somebody putting you down.

Here's the problem. The first one, at least. If you propose a theory, you have to expect that people are going to look into it and vet it. You don't have to like it, but you do have to accept it. That isn't putting it down, it's due diligence. Calling names, also not a great way to win friends and influence people. If your point relies on you calling names and bad mouthing people, you lose any credibility that you might have had. That isn't defending yourself. It's just you losing the argument. Also, if you don't want people doing it to you, don't dish it out first.

It's like this. If you don't like my conspiracy, why don't you stop reading it? It is not my place to put down your theories or experiences so why is it yours? This place REEKS of setup.

Next, you don't get to tell people what they can or can not read here and you can't tell people what they are allowed or not allowed to reply to. This falls under: you worry about you and I'll worry about me. No setup involved, reekage or otherwise.

Is the entire site run by J-s?
edit on 14-4-2013 by Unferth because: (no reason given)

Oh for the love of all things chocolate! Serously? Now we're gonna blame it on the eeeeevviiilllll JOOOOOOOS. Really? That's your go-to? Not Bush, reptilians, or North Korea, you're going straight for the eeeeevviiilllll JOOOOOOOS card? I'm afraid that there just aren't the words in existence (and I know a whole lot of them) to justify this one.

Maybe, just for the sake of experiment and all, you could just try posting as you would like to be posted to and stick to that whole "you worry about you and I'll worry about me" thing. Good luck with that!

Take care,
Cindi

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Glencairn

Nobody who is unfamiliar with the conspiracy theory literature should deny them. I don't come to conspiracy forums to talk to deniers. That's a like christian going to church and having to explain his faith to athiest priests.
WRONG.

This is a setup and probably run by those guys to put down conspiracy theorists. Why else would the OPS take such a laisse-fare attitude toward every comment except those that violate the "rules"?

This is a conspiracy theory literature or cannon. This cannon may be examined. People who are not interested in debating these issue but rather saying things such as ...yeah and Mickey Mouse is my uncle...are not interested in any serious debate instead are just there to ridicule people.

Are you site manager too?

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   

reply to post by Glencairn

Nobody who is unfamiliar with the conspiracy theory literature should deny them. I don't come to conspiracy forums to talk to deniers. That's a like christian going to church and having to explain his faith to athiest priests.
WRONG.

So, you're going to stick to telling people that they can't post if you don't agree with them? I'm really not sure why you think that I am a conspiracy denier or unfamiliar with conspiracy literature. I can assure you that that is not the case. I do believe that I can be a believer, a denier, or whatever I want in between as long as I do it within the rules that the owners and staff have asked us to abide by.

This is a setup and probably run by those guys to put down conspiracy theorists. Why else would the OPS take such a laisse-fare attitude toward every comment except those that violate the "rules"?

I have to be honest here. This sentence doesn't make logical sense. I don't mean that disrespectfully, just that I don't know that I understand exactly what you are saying and so I am unsure what answer to offer. Essentially, it seems to say the "eeeeeevvvvviiillll JOOOOOOOS" run this site and to ask why the OP isn't interacting with every post except those that break the rules. If I'm mistaken, maybe you could word it a little differently so that I might understand the point you are trying to make.

This is a conspiracy theory literature or cannon. This cannon may be examined. People who are not interested in debating these issue but rather saying things such as ...yeah and Mickey Mouse is my uncle...are not interested in any serious debate instead are just there to ridicule people.

So, it is settled fact that the "eeeeeevvvvviiillll JOOOOOOOS" are behind every conspiracy ever and we are only allowed to "debate" this issue if we fall in line and agree with you and if we disagree we are ridiculing you? Is that about the size of it?

Are you site manager too?

No sir, I'm just a member here at this site and thought I'd ask a question or 4.

Take care,
Cindi

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Unferth

I don't come to conspiracy forums to talk to deniers.

ATS is not a "conspiracy forum"

It is a private website where anything can be discussed, including conspiracies.

Just because you think you are right, doesn't mean that you are.

This is one of the greatest lessons that we draw from each other as we discuss our opinions.

Every opinion begins with an assumtion, not always a well-informed one.

ATS provides a platform for us to discuss, under pre-agreed terms, whatever we want.

Not just what YOU want.

That's a like christian going to church and having to explain his faith to athiest priests.

Think of it as an aternative social club where people of all ages from all over the world come together to talk about UFOs, conspiracy theories, cover-ups, social issues, animals, philosophy, science and religion, etc..

ATS is like a person going to a website and talking to other people with respect and decency about their faith or beliefs.

There is no room here for a proSKUB mentality.

I think the accusations and attacks on ATS are from people who take their own beliefs too seriously and forget about respect for others and the rules of play that they signed up to.

People can't "take their oil" anymore.

Accepting your situation. Having no defence when in the wrong.

Urban Dictionary

They have to make things up to justify their banning. Saving face.

Jealousy has a lot to answer for...

"If I can't play, I'm taking the ball with me"

At the end of the day, it's only a website.

Just happens to be the best one on the Internet

There is so much good information on ATS, I would be surprised if the CIA didn't read it.

Tfw.
edit on 14/4/2013 by Theflyingweldsman because: SKUB

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
The Conspiracy Conspiracy

I don't know if the government is in control but there does seem to be a HIGH level of tolerance for little childish behavior such as putting down other's conspiracy theories.

Many discussion boards on the Internet are populated by people who agree with each other, a phenomenon known as "birds of a feather".

There is a wide variety of reasons why people of like mind are drawn to share their experiences, such as in the cases of medical support groups, hobbyists, entertainment fan communities, sports enthusiasts and so on. Several of our more specialized forums in the "Off-Topic" areas can be described this way, and can offer a nice change of pace from more turbulent subjects.

But what attracts most people to ATS, as the traffic statistics attest, is controversy, and there's no shortage of it here.

The irony of proposing that disagreement with some theory or another be prohibited is that ATS exists in large part precisely because of disagreement. People who bemoan the skepticism of others regarding their own claims often forget that their own claims almost invariably involve skepticism of someone else's.

Thus disagreeing with disagreement ultimately constitutes a self-contradiction, a paradox, a call for something that cannot logically exist.

Ups And Downs

As for "putting down others", if you are truly concerned about that, I urge you to read this:

Ad Hominem Attacks And You

Personal comments directed at other members (especially racially- or ethnically-oriented comments) are subject to removal, as you are hopefully aware by now. There's nothing wrong with having strong opinions about the issues, but attacking other members is a path that never ends well.

I can see from your recent posts (including those removed) that you're "dusting off" your account in a sense, and that's great. It is important, however, to have at least a passing familiarity with the terms & conditions, long though they may be, before giving anyone too much grief or attempting to promote a blog (term 19).

I suspect that may be underlying your frustration to some extent, but with a little patience and understanding, it's nothing that can't be solved. Who knows? If you're willing, you might well find yourself pleasantly surprised by where things can lead.

What I enjoy most about ATS is that any opinion which isn't expressed in a manner that violates the T&C has just as much business being here as any other.

I find it addictive, and hope you will too.

edit on 4/14/2013 by Majic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   

It is a private website where anything can be discussed, including conspiracies.

I don't think that is true. Posts do get removed.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

Originally posted by Majic:
What I enjoy most about ATS is that any opinion which isn't expressed in a manner that violates the T&C has just as much business being here as any other.

Posts get removed when they violate the T&Cs. Otherwise the discussion is not confined.

edit on 14/4/2013 by Theflyingweldsman because: Unicorns?

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel

I don't think that is true. Posts do get removed.
due to their violating the pre-agreed to terms and conditions.
.. that oft leaves others wondering why. (?)

what did he/she say, do, etc... ???

aside from those who fashion themselves 'screen-cap' 'artists', only the member and Staff know what was posted ... as it should be.

retractions, no matter.

spirits, nerves and Emotions run high, from time to time, hence why it's always best to 'Preview' Any given post prior to actually 'Submitting' it.

$.02¢

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
It is quite clear that something is going on. It´s hard to understand why almost all intresting threads here get turned into a troll fest, people trying to bait the op in to personal attacks and childish rhetorics, and said thread gets turned into an argument between two sides.

It use to be so much easier,coming here findind a subject your intrested in and finding endless threads about it and much more, now .. its all doom and gloom. Some celebrities posessed by the devil and hence are illuminati, not that i dont believe in that to be possible, but its usually just one liners and a link to another thread.

Its hard to see what went wrong. It´s all just snide remarks and people showing their opinion is so much better than yours, and overall being a d#!$k. Why oh why do you have to come into a thread, about subject you dont like, and "correcting" people in what they believe and not allowing civiliezd dicussion, turning it into a fight.

i digress.

I used to love this site so much

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   

However, it's generally more fun to criticize and create wild rumors. It takes less imagination to jump on a bandwagon and say "me too" than it does to actually contribute something. Tossing around words like COINTELPRO, disinformation, government agents, shill, and the like can indeed provide hours of entertainment for those who envy what we've accomplished.

reply to post by SkepticOverlord

At the risk of offending the man who runs and owns a site I visit regularly looking for information and ANSWERS.....to what I and other are living through, which, I feel, you sell quite short in the above description. Some of us here in OZ Internetland or actually a little more genuine and authentic than the way you portray us here. Some of us came to your site because we were living nightmares, of various assortments.....and came here looking for either others like us (compassion, understanding) or answers to perhaps ending our personal nightmares.

"...hours of entertainment for those who envy what we have acomplished...."

hmmmm. that's all I know to say to that. just hmmmmm. So congratulations on what you've accomplished. But I don't envy whatever that is. What, that millions read your site, know about you, that you've revealed something we could have found out no ohter way, and we are envious of your amazing talent and wherewithall to do so?

Don't get me wrong. I am grateful for this place, but I don't really come here for entertainment. Nibiru, NWO, human flesh in my beef stew don't entertain me, sir. Nor am I envy of your accomplishments, such as they are. Do you host a very successful site that sometimes reveals something we could not find elsewhere, or make possible connections that we would be hard put to find elsewhere....yes, sometimes, on the best of days.

But I don't envy you, and it's not why I am here. Nor am I particularlly entertained, these days, by much of anything. But that's just me. I'm sure for every avatar I see that is designed to freak out someone's parents or otherwise, there are those who are entertained....and often, not for the best of reasons.

So thanks for your successful endeavor......even though, the above extrapolation of why you think I am here, makes me feel like taking a shower. And meditating for a while on just what it is in life I envy......
But that's just me. And I don't even have any friends, so there you go.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Theflyingweldsman
reply to post by roadgravel

Originally posted by Majic:

Posts get removed when they violate the T&Cs. Otherwise the discussion is not confined.

edit on 14/4/2013 by Theflyingweldsman because: Unicorns?

ATS T&C

We reserve the right to delete any message and/or restrict Posting rights on the message board for any reason whatsoever.

Yes, you are correct...

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
What about the John Lear issue. Him being banned and such. I think that's one of the main things giving the ATS =CIA disinfo rumors traction. Thoughts? I've only heard and read a little of this and not enough to form an opinion yet, but I see this as a big reason for this rumor.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by amazing

He wasn't banned though. He was post banned for a few days, along with someone else involved, and he left claiming that he was banned.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

That's his profile page. It still says member on it. It wouldn't if he was banned. He also pulls up under the "members in good standing" list, which he wouldn't if he was banned.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by amazing

He wasn't banned though. He was post banned for a few days, along with someone else involved, and he left claiming that he was banned.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

That's his profile page. It still says member on it. It wouldn't if he was banned. He also pulls up under the "members in good standing" list, which he wouldn't if he was banned.

Except that he's saying publicly that he's still banned and that ATS is a CIA front. Lot's of people listen to John Lear. I'm just saying, that's the whole reason for this rumor.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by amazing

I know he is. He started saying that right from the start, but he was always given to hyperbole from reading some of his threads in my opinion. But people listen just because his father created the Lear Jet, and he flew all kinds of planes. That somehow makes him an expert in everything. But meh, whatever. I've been here a long time, and have yet to see any proof of an alphabet agency running the site.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Interesting he has no flags according to his profile.

In any case, he was always " out there".

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mungodave

Did we have a flag system when he left?

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
WTF! Was the OP a veiled Illuminati-esque disclosure?

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Just a couple things I want to add my 2 cents towards...

1. ATS (Above Top Secret) by name/definition is a website that caters to in part (or whole) towards that which is concealed, kept 'secret', or otherwise out of reach in (possible) factual context from the general population. This is a seed bed haven for conspiracies. Although ATS may not be a "conspiracy" forum in totality, it is a very large part. To say 'ATS is a conspiracy forum' is not that far left from the truth. Having said that, I agree that members who troll threads simply to say 'spaghetti monster' blah blah blah type response without any real debate or addition (pro or con) towards the actual topic is far too often employed here. Mind you there is a BIG difference between debating and discarding out of hand based on opinion only.

2. Although ATS may be one of the larger conspiracy forums on the web, I see no reason to think any government faction would target ATS for anything. I have been a member here for a good while, and a lurker for even longer, and I can not think of a single time someone posted something that a government agent would be interested in 'keeping an eye on' let alone intervene with regards to secret info and a need to misinform. I think some here think what is discussed/displayed here is more important than what it really is. Having said that, I will punctuate this by saying I feel this website gets no more or no less 'monitoring' than the rest of the internet as a whole by the powers that be.

3. Not only did JL say ATS was a government shill forum, he also said that a ex moderator (or admin, I forget) confirmed as much in detail. All of which I highly doubt.

top topics

<< 33  34  35    37  38  39 >>

join