It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is god silent?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   
OK ladies and gents, I think it's time for a good old-fashioned religious debate, so....

Christians, please step up and tell us why we should believe that Christianity really is right and that Athiests, Agnostics, Muslims, Hindus, Bhuddists, Voodoists, Scientologists and everyone else are wrong. I'd also like to know why you think the Bible is not the biggest load of 2000 year old gibberish ever seen by man before

Athiests and agnostics, please step up and tell us why Christian's are, umm... not right.

Anyway, I don't mean to sound antagonistic (well, actually I do but
I just can't help myself because I LOVE listening to this sort of debate) but this is your perfect chance to debunk the short list of points I have made here and save a few souls from eternal damnation:

* Why does God not just come down to Earth and say "Hi there, I'm God and here is my plan..."?
* Why does he move in mysterious ways? Does it not bother you that apparently we are just little pawns in his game and we just have to do what we are told or we'll go to hell?
* Why did he let his "only son" die on the cross? How does his death save us?
* Why are there so many paedophile priests?
* Who put the Pope in charge? Why is he more important or any closer to god than Joe Bloe from the corner Deli?
* If the Church discovered proof that the whole Bible is just made up crap, do you think they would tell us, or would they just go on and keep the status-quo thereby protecting their own powerbase?
* Do you really believe there was an Ark and that 2 of every animal (remembering there are millions of species) were on it?
* If you answered yes to the previous question, how did you manage to keep a straight face?
* Why does the Bible say that Women are made from men when, genetically speaking it is more likely that men are actually modified women?
* I'm sorry, I have to ask. Surely, SURELY you don't believe that a little snake rocked up and told a naked eve to eat a fruit and becuase of it we are all damned to live a #ty existance, forever aware of our nakedness?
* Are we supposed to fear god or love him?
* Does god love us or are we all ant's to be drowned?
* How is god, therefore, any different to a kid with a magnifying glass?

OK. Some food for thought there. I've given plenty of ammo for responses from both sides and a great opporunity for people to tell me what a jerk I am. Anyhoo, flame away...

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by HumanBean
Christians, please step up and tell us why we should believe that Christianity really is right and that Athiests, Agnostics, Muslims, Hindus, Bhuddists, Voodoists, Scientologists and everyone else are wrong.

No one is right--nor wrong. It's not about that--religion is just....religion.

I'd also like to know why you think the Bible is not the biggest load of 2000 year old gibberish ever seen by man before

Do a search of my posts. It is too much to re-post here.

your perfect chance to debunk the short list of points I have made here and save a few souls from eternal damnation:
That's not within my power. I'm no savior.

* Why does God not just come down to Earth and say "Hi there, I'm God and here is my plan..."?
Sometimes He does.

* Why does he move in mysterious ways? Does it not bother you that apparently we are just little pawns in his game and we just have to do what we are told or we'll go to hell?
What is wrong with a mystery? I'm not bothered because those things aren't true--they're assumptions and conjecture.

I've posted this in other threads.

Celibacy is unnatural.

* Who put the Pope in charge? Why is he more important or any closer to god than Joe Bloe from the corner Deli?
He's not. He's a human, just like Joe.

* If the Church discovered proof that the whole Bible is just made up crap, do you think they would tell us, or would they just go on and keep the status-quo thereby protecting their own powerbase?
That's impossible, they have no idea what it says anyway.

* Do you really believe there was an Ark and that 2 of every animal (remembering there are millions of species) were on it?
It's not that simple. Neither does it matter.

* If you answered yes to the previous question, how did you manage to keep a straight face?
Who said I had a 'straight face' to begin with. I was already laughing.

* Why does the Bible say that Women are made from men when, genetically speaking it is more likely that men are actually modified women?

It's metaphysical allegory.

* I'm sorry, I have to ask. Surely, SURELY you don't believe that a little snake rocked up and told a naked eve to eat a fruit and becuase of it we are all damned to live a #ty existance, forever aware of our nakedness?
Of course not. Do you?

Your choice.

Your choice.

God is not a person in any sense of the word. Pure spirit--energy.

to tell me what a jerk I am. Anyhoo, flame away...
Are you a jerk?

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 02:00 PM
link   
1) god has given you a plan....look at every religion that is out there. there are many paths to choose and if you follow any of those paths with a pure heart then your good. also almost every religion has a god incarnate story from the past. in vedic literature it says that we live in cycles that keep repeating . this particular cycle we are living in know is with out god. we are with out god because we have become so consumed with the material world that we have put up a wall between us and god.

2) god gave us freewill at birth. we can except him or not except him. we are not his pawns and the hell is here on earth. gods motives are not a mystery to me. nor to anyone else who come to god with a heart full of pure love for em..

3)we are all gods children. jesus was not his only son. he was a prophet and a great teacher ,but not the only son of god or god incarnate. and yes im shure god would be wise enough to see the error in sending his only son to die.

4) when in rome............. the greeks were into it ..the romans were into it...now the roman catholic church is into it. these children are easy targets and these men are really sick. i dont blame christianity for this. but the church as a whole is to blame. if they were held more accountable for this stuff we would see alot less cover up, but i personally think its something theyve handed down gen after gen after gen.

5)he is even less important than joe blow. they want to seperate you from god. he who holds the key to salvation holds all the cards. the real key to salvation is inside each every person.

6)no they wouldnt

7)the ark is possible just not on that kinda scale. if you lived in a valley and you were sourounded by mountains and all you knew of was were you lived that to you would be the whole earth. now it floods you build an ark and gather up your kids and some animals ...its possible just not on the biblical scale.

8) yea i still chuckled

9)just another way for them to demeen woman.

10)no i dont...just another way to blame women...

11)your sapposed to love god, and resect god as a parent.

12) yes god loves all his creations/children, but you wont feel his love until you go to him with pure intentions.

remember its not the path thats important but the way you conduct yourself on that path. god created us and therefore knows our imperfections and relises we need more than one path, and more then one chance. but we must be perfect to return to god and become one with gods energy. so im shure this is a long path and is a journey of many lifetimes.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   
While I suspect that your intent with this thread was to start a fight, rather a civil discussion on the rationale behind our individual beliefs, I am interested in the latter, and will present my views on your questions with hopes that any responses are intelligent and respectful, not reactionary and lacking thought.
It warrants mentioning that if a flaming match was not what you were hoping for, you may want to pose your questions in a manner that is not insulting or condesending to those with beliefs that differ from yours. You have to show respect for the beliefs of others if you expect them to share their thoughts on the matter with you.

Personally, I believe that God is consciousness and energy, and that It is what makes up the whole of our reality.
My basis for this is a simple concept that is VERY difficult to explain. All matter when broken down to its smallest sub atomic parts ceases to exist as matter and we are forced to accept that a rock is ultimately comprised of exactly the same thing we are, and all that separates us is the the fact that the energy which is the rock and the energy which is us, vibrates at different frequencies. This is the only reason the rock feels solid to our touch.
Therefore, in my estimation, if all matter is nothing more that vibrating energy, then the only other part of me (or any living thing) that isn't an illusion is conciousness. We know that the very act of observing something makes it real, and without an observer reality disappears.

If God is viewed not as a reflection of us, but as the eternal consciousness which acts as the Observer of all things, and energy as the potential for the existence of infinite possibilities (note: potential to exist, is not the same as existence)-- otherwise known as "the Void", or the "Emptiness" which is all that is, in Creation stories before anything is made-- then the very act of the consciousness recognizing its potential for existence would cause everything, which prior to that realization was a mere possibility, to instantly become a reality. That moment, the instant the Observer realizes its potential to observe, is what Creationists call the light, as in "Let there be light", and athiests know as the "Big Bang".

God doesn't come reveal Itself to us and give us the rundown, because God is us and if we'd stop fighting over our petty differences, we'd realize that our reason for being here is to allow the Observer (ourselves-undivided) to have subjective experiences via its offspring (ourselves as small fragments of the whole) for a limited time, and upon death our material body remains in our reality as some other form of energy (remember it cannot be created or destroyed, it can only change forms), and our consciousness returns to be part of the Observer again.

No longer a concern for me once I understood the confusing mess I tried to explain above.

All great religious teachers, Jesus, Buddha, Krishna, etc. are the "children of God" same as we all are, except they have either remembered that they are not really separate from the One or they never forgot, whereas most of the rest of us have. They were not meant to be worshipped as the One that they represented. Their lessons, lives and the sacrifices they made for us were supposed to serve as examples of how we live ourselves and the sacrifices we should be willing to make for others. We are all cut from the same cloth afterall!

Our bodies are designed with certain needs that must be tended to, like it or not, and the release of sexual energy is one of the most powerful drives people (men in particular) have. If we do not allow ourselves to relieve that energy in any way, sexual or otherwise, it is my belief that it will begin to affect our mental state and as in many of the cases involving catholic priests, ends up manifesting itself as perverse, deviant, and/or destructive behavior. I don't think the priests should have sex in order to avoid this, I do think that they should be taught how to direct their sexual energy into non-sexual activities that provide the necessary physical and mental relief.
I don't think this is the only cause of paedophile priests, but I do think it could account for alot of it.

I'll leave you with those answers for now, and answer the rest later.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   
During ancient times,when et's roamed the earth,humankind refered to them as gods and goddesses.

gods and goddesses are ALIENS!

the invisible force that creates life everywhere..is not called god!

lets just call it the CREATOR!

Does that solve your problem.

In ancients times people saw ALIENS and they called them GOD!

you cant see the CREATOR!

You still see GOD..because god's were ALIENS

The god jesus spoke about was the CREATOR (invisible)

the god christains talk about is an ALIEN named uranus!

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by jezebel
Personally, I believe that God is consciousness and energy, and that It is what makes up the whole of our reality.

This is exactly what i was trying to say.God/creator is energy.

Us and aliens both came from the creator...we all start as SOULS and then we incarnate to express our selves.

Our SOULS come from the CREATOR!

[edit on 9-1-2006 by MagicPriest420]

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 04:36 PM
link   

This is exactly what i was trying to say.God/creator is energy.

Us and aliens both came from the creator...we all start as SOULS and then we incarnate to express our selves.

Our SOULS come from the CREATOR!

Yes, GOD creates the energy that keeps everyone, everything up and running in this illusion of a universe. That is why he knows all, because he is within all.

I noticed a book the other day where the author stated that GOD selected this planet for the final battle between good and evil. Humbug. That is giving this small blue sphere way too much credit. We are nothing but a speck of sand in an endless ocean. However, GOD gave us a purpose. He created us so he may experience himself. There are probably millions of other planets within this vast universe where life exists. Even those uninhabitable GOD has created for the understanding of who he is.

OH, by the way. GOD is far from silent. He speaks to each and every one everyday. It is the art of listening to him that brings one to a higher spiritual plain.

[edit on 9-1-2006 by madmanacrosswater]

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Why Is god silent?

why doesnt god just materialize a big frieken stadium and bring his guitar and sing the word of god for everybody?

because smarty pants if all truths were made known then there would be no purpose to live live. god and his intentions have to be in the shadows so that we have something to believe in and something to look forward to when we die. gosh take relegion class or something

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Which answer do you want the most? I can give you exactly what you want for each trhough my catholic theological education.

( I had answed most of them but lost the post in a mistake of a boutton press. I am too depresesd to retype it after I lost such a beuatiful work of denail of ignorance.
)

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mizar
( I had answed most of them but lost the post in a mistake of a boutton press. I am too depresesd to retype it after I lost such a beuatiful work of denail of ignorance.
)

Don't feel bad, I did exactly the same thing on this same thread.
I've found that if I'm going to type anything of length or importance it's better to type it in notepad or something similar and then copy and paste it in here. It is way to heartbreaking to write something that is exactly what you wanted it to be, and then lose it thanks to a stupid mistake.

I'd like to here your beliefs on the first couple questions and, if they're different, the Catholic perspective as well.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   
First of all any Christan will tell you that the voice of God is not silence he can be heard every day through the bible, through believers and faith.

Now in my personal opinion the only reason God had a voice is because it was given to him by man in the pursue of understanding life and men's higher purpose.

And truly God or a creator or creators have not voice.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I personally have never heard GOD say anything and I have been listening, I think.

But he sure speaks to the likes of Rev. Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, Jimmy Swaggert etc. He used to speak to Jim and Tammy Baker until they got popped for spending the money of their followers on things like 9 ft tall brass giraffes. God must stop talking to you when you exhibit such poor taste.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Wow! The posts on here just keep getting wilder and wilder. All in good time will God reveal all. If you took the time and actually studied the Bible in the first place, you would have had the oppertunity to have every question that ever came across your mind answered. The question to every problem man has created for himself is in the Bible in one manner or another.
I'll pray that you'll come around to realize that you will not go too far in this world or the next unless you embrace the reality that God is real and sometimes he lets bad things happen for a reason we might not understand at the time.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Sure the bible will answer you questions, if you were living in the world 6 thousand years ago, I have to remember that by bible accounts the world is only 6 thousand years old.

Can not forget that dinosaurs were ancient man horses.

Any way the church better comeback with a new bible because the adding and subtracting is really reaping away the word of God.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 05:57 PM
link   
u know why humanbean?

because god is not what you think God is.

sincerely,

Alienaddict

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienaddicted
u know why humanbean?

because god is not what you think God is.

sincerely,

Alienaddict

Bingo!!!

That's the reason, imo, why no-one seems to hear God. They search through texts written by people, listen to people who have studied those texts under the tutelage of other experts who are extensively trained in the contents of those texts and never once try to listen to that small voice inside themselves.

Perhaps God is yelling in your ears, but you just refuse to listen because it isn't possible to you that God could actually be inside.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 06:09 PM
link   

The plan is clearly written out in the Bible, it tells us about the past and reveals the future. B I B L E , basic instructions before leaving earth.
To the other part, he will be coming shortly to clean up the mess we have made doing it "OUR WAY", not looking to him for guidance. Many people don't want GOD, he is letting us see what we would become without him.

His ways are not totally "Mysterious" to those that know him and have a personal relationship with him, he reveals to them the "Whys And Wherefores"
There is a difference between being a "Pawn" and having "Free Will" you are free to choose, but there are certainly consequences to your decisions, one being Hell and The Lake Of Fire, but you have been forewarned, if you fail to heed the warning you will suffer the consequences.

I personally have taken heed to the warning, I am not willing to gamble with my soul, the consequences are far too great if I were wrong. What is your choice ?

HEB 9:22 And according to the law, I may almost say, all things are cleansed with blood, and apart from SHEDDING OF BLOOD there is no remission.
GOD's law requires the shedding of blood for the forgivness of sins, Christ's death once and for all did away with the blood sacrifice of animals and paid the price for your and my sins forever, all we need to do is acknowledge this fact and a entrance to heaven will be afforded us.

It is a sign of the times, This is their sin.

Rom 1:25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompense of their error which was meet.(acceptable).
28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

Man put the Pope in charge, not GOD !

For true believers there is no doubt whatsoever of the exsistance of GOD, you get to see GOD in action when he answers your prayers and performs Miracles Of Healing upon those that are sick, when you see demons cast out of those that are bound, when you see the blind get there sight and the lame walk.

All these things I have seen with my own eyes, there have also been times when GOD used me as an instrument of healing for those that were sick.

This is a matter of interpretation, Firstly it was only the land animals, second, some of what we have today have come from cross breeding.

Men are still considered to be the head of the family to this day, that alone says a lot. Most scientist do not believe in GOD, so that easily explains their position.

Firstly the Bible says "SERPENT" not snake and this peticular type of serpent no longer lives upon the earth, for this serpent had the ability to "SPEAK"

BOTH !

He loves us and has given us choices and gave us warnings as to the consequences of disobedience of his laws.
You don't have to go to Hell, you have a choice, serve GOD, which is not difficult, or do your own thing, reject GOD and spend eternity in the "Lake Of Fire"

That is close to "Blasphemy"

It is easy to see GOD moving if you know where to look.

GOD said that in the "Last Days" there would be wars and rumors of wars, earthquakes in different places, floods and natual disasters. Take a look around you and tell me what you see ? Distress upon nations with complex problems.

He foretold the state of man shortly before his return.

II Tim 3:1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth

What don't we understand, the picture is pretty clear to me.

[edit on 9-1-2006 by Lastday Prophet]

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 06:14 PM
link   
WHO SAID GOS IS SILENT? You just havent been listening.........

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Anyway, I don't mean to sound antagonistic (well, actually I do but

he's has before and the plan has been around for centuries...unchange for an unbeliveable healthy lifestyle for everybody

its only mysterious to the people who dont belive...or know absolutly nothing about his ways.

to show how much he loves us. he had to die....in order to ascend. kinda to show us that we have to die to our flesh in order to become new. it was like a pattern for us.

lucifer uses priests especially to make the chistian faith look bad....even tho hes using his own to do it. he also uses fake tv preachers wanting money, preachers getting caught with prostitutes etc.

probably lucifer. it is the false church along with main stream religion...he's not he's just like the rest of us other than having a bigger price to pay.

you actually think they will tell us the truth? hahahaha

i do think there was an ark. if there was a creator that created this planet there is a way for 2 of everything to get on that boat....

my face is always crooked.

because man was created first. was around for a while. god decided instead of making man himself all the time day after day he figured out a way that men could reproduce themselves. then there was women

all a figure of speech.....snake probably refered to the scalely reptilian figure that lucifer is....the fruit who knows....might just have been that. a fruit of knowledge of good and evil. and yes we will forever be aware. that is the punishment along with pain and suffering and killing and weeds and thorns and rocks and really bad music and anything that hurts and is loud. look...its been 6000 years and we are still aware.

well look at a earthly child and its father. does the child love the father? yea because of the protection and care and love and comfort and teaching and all those things a wonderful father provides for the child. does the child fear the father? yeah at times when its done soemthing wrong...but discipline comes out of love from the father because he has been there, knows what the outcome will be and wants the best for his child. what if someone tries to hurt the child or lead him down the wrong direction, gives him something poisionous, tries hurt the child? that person better fear the father because there will be some hurtin goin on

god is love. he doesnt want ANY of us to be harmed. thats why HE died. so WE can escape. but we all have free will. we can ignore him or listen to what he has to say. the bible is his word. people say the bible has been tampered with down thru history...but thats just it. man has tampered with it, but his plan for us is still in there. the supernatural power and message cant be tampered with. mankind will always have the plan of salvation no matter what.

a kid with a magnifying glass observes things going on, so does god.

OK. Some food for thought there. I've given plenty of ammo for responses from both sides and a great opporunity for people to tell me what a jerk I am. Anyhoo, flame away..

good questions!

and i dont know how to quote each question so this is the only way i know how to answer haha

[edit on 9-1-2006 by Funkydung]

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Why is God silent is the thread header so i thought i'd go with answering that one, atleast with my humble opinion anyway.

God isn't silent. Let me explain in a very short story i wrote once. Perhaps this will help you to understand.

"The Voice Of God"

I ran across a bumper sticker the other day that actually stopped me in my tracks. It went like this:

"Why is it when we talk to God were praying but when God talks to us were neurotic?"

Now personally I've never considered myself neurotic although I'm sure I have many family members and friends that would rise to argue the matter, And yet I hear the voice of God everyday.

When I wake each morning and start to prepare for the day I hear God whispering, "I've given you another day my child." And as I head out the door to go to work again God says, "I've provided for you a good job and good people to work with." When I sit to eat the voice of God reminds me, "I shall not let you hunger this day." Ok, I think you get my point here. God speaks to each and every one of us throughout the day and for all our lives.

Gods voice is always present in the laughter of children, the beauty of a sunrise, the smile of a friend and in the gentle breathing of that someone you love as they sleep beside you. It can be heard in every flower and in every song.

It can even be heard in the problems and disasters that come our way, Saying, "I love you enough to make you grow, Even in ways you may not want to."

If you can't hear the voice of God, its not that the voice isn't there...its because you, my friend, are not listening.

Love and light my friends,

Wupy

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join