It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virus Induced Obesity - what the hell!?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by longbow
Actually I am also against paying healthcare for drug addicts and smokers
The other things you named were just accidents and the babies were not able to make their choice.

Don't get me wrong. I'm against paying for other people's health care, too. But picking out one group is hardly fair, don't you think?

As far as the accidents go, people take risks. It's risky to skydive, to get in a car, to smoke, to be fat, to join a gang, to have a baby, to do drugs. They're all about taking risks. Who's to say one person's risks are valid and another's are not?

Some smokers live to be 100 years old. Some obese people have a heart attack at 60 after living a healthy life, never having been a burdon the the health care system and they drop dead.

I would really like to know your answers to the questions I asked in my previous post.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by longbow
Actually I am also against paying healthcare for drug addicts and smokers. It was their fault, they knew it can affect their health and they should carry consequences. The other things you named were just accidents and the babies were not able to make their choice.

Actually the healthcare for smokers in the US has already been paid several times over. Anybody who wants to argue this just has to look at the amount of tax revenue generated over the years by tobacco products.

If your concerns about the cost of health care are genuine then you need to take a look at the frivilous lawsuits and the cost of medical liability insurence. A much larger bite is being taken out of health care funds by these lawsuits than just about anything else.

As far a medical insurence is concerned, mine is covered by my employer to a certain point and then I am free to add on options. I consider this part of my compensation and as long as I am not comitting fraud ior abuse it is mine to use.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I just wonder what is the percentage of obese people that are living a healthy lifestyle. I'm not talking about someone with a few extra pounds by obese it means disgusting fatness.

o·bese
adj.

Extremely fat; grossly overweight.

Please stop trying to put words in my mouth. I have nothing against my plump friends. Why should I? Next thing I know it'll be illegal to call someone obese. I'll have to call them the diametrically challenged.

However when I see the crowds at fast food resturants and a guy is eating a double quater pounder and a big mac and a large order of fries along with his diet coke.

IMO

it makes it hard for me to say

oh its not his fault

Obviously he is in the 30 percentile and not someone who has no respect for his body.

70% > 30%

Hopefully they can cure this virus. but even then. There will still be a lot of fat people left over.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
However when I see the crowds at fast food resturants and a guy is eating a double quater pounder and a big mac and a large order of fries along with his diet coke.

What business of it is yours? Try being on the heavy side and being deathly allergic to artificial sweetner and the waitress replaces your Pepsi with Diet Pepsi without your knowledge. People need to mind their own business and to stop trying to force their own beliefs on others.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499

What business of it is yours? Try being on the heavy side and being deathly allergic to artificial sweetner and the waitress replaces your Pepsi with Diet Pepsi without your knowledge. People need to mind their own business and to stop trying to force their own beliefs on others.

because there is a thread on it DUH.

I'm not trying to force my beliefs on anyone rofl get a load of yourself.

I could careless if he was eating paintchips.

NEXT

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 11:02 AM
link   

I just wonder what is the percentage of obese people that are living a healthy lifestyle.

I wonder what percentage of skinny people are living a healthy lifestyle. How many thin people sit around all hours of the day, drinking beer and smoking pot and playing videogames and stuffing their face with munchies... Are they 'healthy' just because they're thin?

My point is that while obesity can be an indication of health, there are plenty of thin to moderate-size people whose health is worse than many fat people's.

My problem is the STEREOTYPE that people automatically connect to fat people. I'm not asking you to feel sorry for them, just treat them with the same respect that everyone deserves. And you don't have to do that, I'm just asking.

(L - did I put words in your mouth or was that addressed to someone else?)

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Good grief............

Lifestyles have changed drastically in the past century and this has given rise to a lot of conditions never seen before.

Think about it for a minute, okay?

In the 1900's, people walked everywhere (most couldn't afford horses.) There were few labor saving devices, clothes were washed by hand, cities and towns were polluted (as they had been for millennia) and often food sources were contaminated.

That equals a huge number of calories burned, and a lot of disease that kept you too ill to eat. It also cut lifespan.

There's an "Amish diet" out there... you can pig out on anything you like, but then you have to get up in the morning and get your horse and plough 3 acres of land before nightfall.

Industrial society members have the dietary "heredity" of farm workers -- but we are no longer doing the same type of activity. This kind of metabolic response is somewhat evolutionary -- it developed over time, as the data from Indian reservations shows.

As you get older, your metabolism changes.

A lot of those sneering at overweight people will be appalled to find themselves one of the Particularly Plump at age 45... particularly if you have an office job. After doing the office, staggering home and doing chores and dealing with the kids, almost none of you (unless there are transportation and other changes in our society) will run off to the gym for an hour of jogging and puffing on the exercise machines.

Back to the original topic:
No, there's not a lot of evidence for a "fat virus." So far we have ONE researcher with a small amount of data (and ONE set of twins only) who says this is an issue.

However (armchair data) there are literally millions of identical twins and many who were separated and have been united and very few (if any) are disproportionate in weights (this may not be true in fraternal twins, who share only the same womb and are not clones of a single egg.)

Viruses, tumors, bad diet, disease (such as heart disease), age, and other environmental factors can affect the rate at which your body processes food and stores fat. To leap on a single cause sounds as though it's a precursor for some "cure-all snake oil" and not good science.

The study is interesting and indicates some research directions. But caution says you shouldn't rush in to accept this as a blanket answer.

And let's lay off the snarky comments about overweight people. Either discuss the topic ("is there good evidence for the announcement that viruses cause obesity") WITH URLS SUPPORTING YOUR STATEMENTS -- or participate in a different thread.

Okay?

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

I wonder what percentage of skinny people are living a healthy lifestyle. How many thin people sit around all hours of the day, drinking beer and smoking pot and playing videogames and stuffing their face with munchies... Are they 'healthy' just because they're thin?

Obviously they have a virus.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 11:52 AM
link   

What bothers me about this thread is the obvious lack of respect for fat or obese people regardless of the reason, simply because they're fat. All the comments about lazy this and that or try a treadmill and so on... It's just so indicative of how fat people are treated (in the USA) and I hate it.

Not that I hate fat people or anything, but I am under no obligation to respect anyone, especially those who are, apparently nearly 70% of the time, weak individuals.

I can choose not to respect anyone I want for any reason I want. And let’s face facts before you start playing your pity-fiddle.

The source article that started this whole thread showed that of ALL the obese people out there, only 30% could potentially attribute their obesity to this virus. The remaining 70% got fat from a variety of methods. The most common of which, is poor diet (including too many calories, too much sugar, improper portion sizes) and lack of exercise.

You can argue all you like, but this is the same type of well-intentioned, but misplaced concern that has our kids getting fatter and fatter each year.

It’s because (about 70% of the time) we are too afraid to say, “Hey Johnny, you’re 8 years old and weigh 140 pounds. Put down that damn HoHo and run around the block a few times.” Instead, we don’t want to hurt poor fat Johnny’s self esteem. So, we let him get huge, never get a date, have swollen, bleeding feet from diabetes, and die at 46 from massive heart failure. And now, we can make ourselves feel less complicitous in fat Johnny’s undoing by washing our figurative hands of his fatness and blaming it on a virus (which there is a 70% chance he doesn’t have..

For those who are affected by this virus, good, there is hope for them to live healthier, longer lives. For the rest, put down the corndogs and back away slowly. That dude who pointed out the number of fat kids he sees is right on the money. It starts with ignorant parents who can’t teach their children proper nutrition and can’t discipline their children. And the problem has been steadily growing. We are the fattest country in the world (although we are soon to be outeaten by Mexico). And to what, pray tell, do they attribute the cause of Mexico’s growing fatness???!?!!

Mexico probably will surpass the U.S. in obesity rates for the first time next year as the Latin American nation adopts the fast food and sedentary lifestyles of its neighbor to the north.
The brewing health crisis prompted Mexico's congress this month to move toward making school exercise mandatory. Mexico City has called in a Texas doctor to wean kids off pizza and fries, while Health Ministry ads warn fat can lead to diabetes and heart disease.
www.baja.com...

The people who castigate fat people in public for being fat are just jerks, but to bring up these points in a discussion forum, where nobody has any idea who is and is not obese is perfectly fine in my opinion. It’s not like me saying that the majority of the obese out there are lazy is in any way incorrect, nor is it “disrespectful.” It is the truth, and that’s all. If I happened to see a fat guy on the street and told him directly that he was an indolent drain on the food supply, THAT would be disrespectful.

I don’t appreciate having to worry about censoring my posts because somebody is ALWAYS offended by something. This place pretends to be about denying ignorance, and that is hard to do with a muzzle on.

A large percentage of people in the US are overweight and they get treated like second class citizens. What I want to know is, why does anyone care?

To repeat, I don’t. Just a statement of facts, which may sound harsh to you, but they are facts nevertheless. CDC says that diet and exercise are of primary importance in determining overweight and obesity. CDC, not me.

You all don't talk this way about other people who risk their health by skydiving or race-car driving or smoking cigarettes or taking anti-depressants. You don't call them lazy and treat them like they're second class citizens... What's the freaking deal? You don't stand high and mighty over them and say that they just have no willpower to quit smoking. You encourage them. You're NICE and RESPECTFUL to them.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I’m sorry, give me a second…

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Okay, I’m better now. I’m gonna go ahead and guess that you have never been a smoker. If you had, you’d know that smokers are hated so much more that fat people. Why? Because the EPA puts out a hack study saying not only are we killing ourselves, but we’re killing you too. And, they haven’t bothered to look for an “I-can’t-stop-smoking” virus.

NOBODY is nice to smokers. NOBODY encourages them. In fact, let me give you an example from this very site on how “NICE” and “RESPECTFUL” people are toward smokers.

This is from a MODERATOR, no less. Let’s see:

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
My friend came up with a good idea for second hand smoke after he and I endured a meal in a restaurant in Wyoming next to a group of men smoking up a storm. A little far fetched, but not as far as you might think. Here's his idea

1. Grab a six-gun.
2. Add one bullet.
3. Point it at the fella smoking next to you, and point out to him that he's playing russian roulette with your life, and you intend to return the favor.

4. Spin.
5. Pause for effect/for him to put it out.

The emphasis is mine, but I didn’t see anyone in this topic suggest threatening fat people with guns, did you?

But that's no reason to talk like they're lower than you.

True enough. But again, don’t mistake some honest, no-holds-barred discussion for a “fat-bashing frenzy.”

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Fat people are the subject of the last acceptable prejudice.

You forgot about smokers and white Anglo-Saxon Protestant males.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Sorry. That was a mistake.

[edit on 8-1-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hamburglar
True enough. But again, don’t mistake some honest, no-holds-barred discussion for a “fat-bashing frenzy.”

I can't be bothered counting how many bigmac/pizza digs there are in this thread but it is riddled with them. ATS discussion is meant to dispell ignorance. 30% of people may have this virus.. say another 20% have a thyroid problem or something similar [leaving out eating from depression etc]. The next 50% IS NOT RELEVENT.. the 'denying ignorance' part is when a light globe goes on and people say "Oh.. maybe there have been people that I have assumed eat KFC for breakfast lunch and dinner actually ate healthy"..perhaps some speculation about how this would effect the culture and people's attitudes towards those who are overweight could have followed.. instead we are still on the 'but it's still there own fault.. not that I'm being judgemental or anything." tangent. Recently I started losing weight [was already skinny] and getting the shakes.. turns out I've got a hyperative thyroid speeding up my metabolism [antibodies were attacking it]. A couple of people have commented that my face looked skinnier- I explained it's a symptom. "I wish I had that disease." is the usual response. WTH? Okay.. some people are having a go at overweight people when a genuine cause is mentioned.. [aren't fat people allowed to have an reason?] I have something that can be dangerous to my health as well yet I get patted on the back?! Mine is a culturally 'acceptable' disorder.. at least until I start looking anorexic then people can turn around and start saying I must be taking laxiatives and deliberately vomiting to get through my day.

Why is the prospect of a 'fat virus' such a problem? Yes.. obesity is high in America but it may not be just the fast food.. it may actually be a 'disease cluster'.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 09:48 AM
link   
quote]Originally posted by bsl4doc

What bothers me about this thread is the obvious lack of respect for fat or obese people regardless of the reason, simply because they're fat. All the comments about lazy this and that or try a treadmill and so on... It's just so indicative of how fat people are treated (in the USA) and I hate it.

While I certainly don't have any lack of respect for obese people, I also don't have an outpoouring of sympathy. Everyday, I walk to the Universita' degli Studi di Firenze. I eat fresh fruit in the morning, fresh salad for lunch, and usually a fairly large dinner of pasta or chicken. I jog on weekends, but nothing too exhausting. This diet/exercise plan is much much less rigourous than many of my classmates' plans. I am not overweight, nor are any, save a few, of my classmates. The few people I know who are obese regularly dine at McDonalds or other fast food restaurants and rarely walk/bike. Now, isn't this obesity a matter of their own personal choice? Obviously, there will be the rare case of someone who has genetic or medical problem that causes metabolic problems and leads to obesity, but assuming all obese people have this problem would be the same as assuming all murderers were abused as children; this is the case with a few, but certainly not all.

Someone mentioned earlier that the fatty foods doesn't explain it because before fast food, there were other fatty foods. Yes, this is true. But do you honestly think someone working in a cubicle today in New York, London, Paris, Rome, etc who eats fatty foods works anywhere NEAR as hard as people 200 years ago who had to build houses from scratch with their hands, hunt for animals, butcher their own meat, etc? No, I don't think so. Also, many of the foods today aren't bad necessarily because of the same fats. Often, there are trans fats and different types of oils and sugars which the body can easily convert to fat instead of immediateyl metabolising them.

A large percentage of people in the US are overweight and they get treated like second class citizens. What I want to know is, why does anyone care? You sound like you hate them. Why? Why so virulent? Sure, overweight people are risking their health, but it's their health.

You all don't talk this way about other people who risk their health by skydiving or race-car driving or smoking cigarettes or taking anti-depressants. You don't call them lazy and treat them like they're second class citizens... What's the freaking deal? You don't stand high and mighty over them and say that they just have no willpower to quit smoking. You encourage them. You're NICE and RESPECTFUL to them.

Yes, they are risking their health. But when you live in a nation with socialized healthcare, meaning your taxes will fluctuate based on the needs of the nation, and suddenly a large portion is becoming obese, meaning your taxes increase, then it becomes your problem. This is why state programs to increase fitness have started. The burden of having to care for someone who has made bad life choices is becoming ridiculous. I can't even imagine what it must be like in America.

Also, yes, you should be nice and respectful to them, but there is no reason you should coddle them. Why tell them "Oh, there is nothing wrong, you're just special or different" when they obviously have a medical condition? Would you do the same to someone who has cancer? No, you encourage them to lose weight, help them make better choices if willpower is their main problem. I've invited a friend of mine to walk with me to the University and jog with me, and it has helped her immensely. All it takes is a little effort to help them lose the weight. It does NOT mean to coddle them and make them think being obese is "natural".

[edit on 9-1-2006 by pattya42]

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 09:50 AM
link   
And where will YOU be practicing medicine ???????????????????????????????

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Patty, please refrain from personally attacking me simply because you have a difference of opinion, especially when you can't provide any information or sources. Ciao!

~MFP

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I did a quick search for viral-induced obesity on the US National Institutes of Health PubMed database. Here are the first 100 of over 7000 related research articles, indicating some of the latest viruses discovered to be involved with obesity and their impact on other systems:

Items 1 - 100 of 7661

1: Shan XC, Goodwin PH. Links
Abstract Silencing an ACC oxidase gene affects the susceptible host response of Nicotiana benthamiana to infection by Colletotrichum orbiculare.
Plant Cell Rep. 2006 Jan 6;:1-7 [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 16397784 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
2: Yang K, Shi H, Qi R, Sun S, Tang Y, Zhang B, Wang C. Links
Free Full Text Hsp90 Regulates Activation of IRF-3 and TBK-1 Stabilization in Sendai Virus-infected Cells.
Mol Biol Cell. 2006 Jan 4; [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 16394098 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
3: Vida VL, Rubino M, Stellin G. Links
Abstract Prolonged ECMO Support for Virus-Induced Cardiorespiratory Failure Early After Cardiac Surgery.
Pediatr Cardiol. 2005 Dec 24; [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 16391979 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
4: Gern JE, Brooks GD, Meyer P, Chang A, Shen K, Evans MD, Tisler C, Dasilva D, Roberg KA, Mikus LD, Rosenthal LA, Kirk CJ, Shult PA, Bhattacharya A, Li Z, Gangnon R, Lemanske RF Jr. Links
Abstract Bidirectional interactions between viral respiratory illnesses and cytokine responses in the first year of life.
J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2006 Jan;117(1):72-8. Epub 2005 Nov 28.
PMID: 16387587 [PubMed - in process]
5: Becker MR, Schneider B, Reber U, Poge U, Klein B, Klehr HU, Zhou H, Fischer HP, Eis-Hubinger AM. Links
Abstract Renal anemia aggravated by long-term parvovirus b19 and cytomegalovirus infection in a renal transplant patient: case report and evaluation of b19 seroprevalence in dialysis patients.
Transplant Proc. 2005 Dec;37(10):4306-8.
PMID: 16387104 [PubMed - in process]
6: Jorg A, Grubert T, Grimm T, Guenzi E, Naschberger E, Samson E, Oostendorp R, Keller U, Sturzl M. Links
Abstract Maternal HIV type 1 infection suppresses MMP-1 expression in endothelial cells of uninfected newborns: nonviral vertical transmission of HIV type 1-related effects.
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2005 Nov;21(11):940-4.
PMID: 16386110 [PubMed - in process]
7: Bryan DL, Hart P, Forsyth K, Gibson R. Links
Abstract Modulation of respiratory syncytial virus-induced prostaglandin E2 production by n-3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids in human respiratory epithelium.
Lipids. 2005 Oct;40(10):1007-11.
PMID: 16382572 [PubMed - in process]
8: Mise S. Links
Abstract [Factors influencing clinical course of viral hepatitis]
Acta Med Croatica. 2005;59(5):393-6. Croatian.
PMID: 16381233 [PubMed - in process]
9: Civas A, Genin P, Morin P, Lin R, Hiscott J. Related Articles, Links
Free Full Text Promoter organization of the interferon-A genes differentially affects virus-induced expression and responsiveness to TBK1 and IKKepsilon.
J Biol Chem. 2005 Dec 27; [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 16380379 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
10: Taylor RT, Bresnahan WA. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Human Cytomegalovirus Immediate-Early 2 Protein IE86 Blocks Virus-Induced Chemokine Expression.
J Virol. 2006 Jan;80(2):920-8.
PMID: 16378994 [PubMed - in process]
11: Morrison TE, Whitmore AC, Shabman RS, Lidbury BA, Mahalingam S, Heise MT. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Characterization of ross river virus tropism and virus-induced inflammation in a mouse model of viral arthritis and myositis.
J Virol. 2006 Jan;80(2):737-49.
PMID: 16378976 [PubMed - in process]
12: Murray SM, Picker LJ, Axthelm MK, Linial ML. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Expanded tissue targets for foamy virus replication with simian immunodeficiency virus-induced immunosuppression.
J Virol. 2006 Jan;80(2):663-70.
PMID: 16378969 [PubMed - in process]
13: Heymann PW, Platts-Mills TA, Johnston SL. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Role of viral infections, atopy and antiviral immunity in the etiology of wheezing exacerbations among children and young adults.
Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2005 Nov;24(11 Suppl):S217-22, discussion S220-1.
PMID: 16378049 [PubMed - in process]
14: Dakhama A, Lee YM, Gelfand EW. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Virus-induced airway dysfunction: pathogenesis and biomechanisms.
Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2005 Nov;24(11 Suppl):S159-69, discussion S166-7.
PMID: 16378041 [PubMed - in process]
15: Peyrefitte CN, Pastorino B, Grau GE, Lou J, Tolou H, Couissinier-Paris P. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Dengue virus infection of human microvascular endothelial cells from different vascular beds promotes both common and specific functional changes.
J Med Virol. 2006 Feb;78(2):229-42.
PMID: 16372301 [PubMed - in process]
16: Xie Q, Guo HS. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Systemic antiviral silencing in plants.
Virus Res. 2005 Dec 17; [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 16368157 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
17: Haller O, Kochs G, Weber F. Related Articles, Links
Abstract The interferon response circuit: Induction and suppression by pathogenic viruses.
Virology. 2006 Jan 5;344(1):119-30.
PMID: 16364743 [PubMed - in process]
18: Moss B. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Poxvirus entry and membrane fusion.
Virology. 2006 Jan 5;344(1):48-54.
PMID: 16364735 [PubMed - in process]
19: Raghul J, Raj GD, Manohar BM, Balachandran C. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Protection of the Reproductive Tract of Young Chicks by Newcastle Disease Virus-induced Haemagglutinationinhibition Antibodies.
Vet Res Commun. 2006 Jan;30(1):95-102.
PMID: 16362614 [PubMed - in process]
20: Premraj A, Sreekumar E, Rasool TJ. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Cloning and biological characterization of buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) interferon-gamma.
Mol Immunol. 2006 Feb;43(6):717-24. Epub 2005 Apr 18.
PMID: 16360017 [PubMed - in process]
21: Greenway F. Related Articles, Links
No abstract Virus-induced obesity.
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2006 Jan;290(1):R188-9. No abstract available.
PMID: 16352860 [PubMed - in process]
22: Kawabata H, Niwa A, Tsuji-Kawahara S, Uenishi H, Iwanami N, Matsukuma H, Abe H, Tabata N, Matsumura H, Miyazawa M. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Peptide-induced immune protection of CD8+ T cell-deficient mice against Friend retrovirus-induced disease.
Int Immunol. 2006 Jan;18(1):183-98. Epub 2005 Dec 13.
PMID: 16352628 [PubMed - in process]
23: Barzilai A, Zivony-Elbom I, Sarid R, Noah E, Frenkel N. Related Articles, Links
Abstract The Herpes Simplex Virus Type 1 vhs-UL41 Gene Secures Viral Replication by Temporarily Evading Apoptotic Cellular Response to Infection: Vhs-UL41 Activity Might Require Interactions with Elements of Cellular mRNA Degradation Machinery.
J Virol. 2006 Jan;80(1):505-13.
PMID: 16352574 [PubMed - in process]
24: Lyu SY, Rhim JY, Park WB. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Antiherpetic activities of flavonoids against herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) and type 2 (HSV-2) in vitro.
Arch Pharm Res. 2005 Nov;28(11):1293-301.
PMID: 16350858 [PubMed - in process]
25: Bolken TC, Laquerre S, Zhang Y, Bailey TR, Pevear DC, Kickner SS, Sperzel LE, Jones KF, Warren TK, Amanda Lund S, Kirkwood-Watts DL, King DS, Shurtleff AC, Guttieri MC, Deng Y, Bleam M, Hruby DE. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Identification and characterization of potent small molecule inhibitor of hemorrhagic fever New World arenaviruses.
Antiviral Res. 2005 Nov 28; [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 16343651 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
26: Wu JT, Wu LL. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Linking inflammation and atherogenesis: Soluble markers identified for the detection of risk factors and for early risk assessment.
Clin Chim Acta. 2005 Dec 8; [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 16343470 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
27: Kong GM, Xu JJ, Qin AJ, Jin WJ, Liu YL. Related Articles, Links
Abstract [High level expression of recombinant chicken interferon-gamma in insect cells]
Wei Sheng Wu Xue Bao. 2005 Oct;45(5):697-701. Chinese.
PMID: 16342758 [PubMed - in process]
28: Yasutomi M, Ohshima Y, Omata N, Yamada A, Iwasaki H, Urasaki Y, Mayumi M. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Erythromycin differentially inhibits lipopolysaccharide- or poly(i:C)-induced but not peptidoglycan-induced activation of human monocyte-derived dendritic cells.
J Immunol. 2005 Dec 15;175(12):8069-76.
PMID: 16339544 [PubMed - in process]
29: Senkevich TG, Ojeda S, Townsley A, Nelson GE, Moss B. Related Articles, Links
Free in PMC Poxvirus multiprotein entry-fusion complex.
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005 Dec 20;102(51):18572-7. Epub 2005 Dec 8.
PMID: 16339313 [PubMed - in process]
30: Kuchmerovskaia TM, Karpov AV, Donchenko GV. Related Articles, Links
Abstract [Viruses as the etiological factor of type 1 diabetes. Animal models]
Ukr Biokhim Zh. 2005 Jan-Feb;77(1):32-40. Review. Russian.
PMID: 16335266 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
31: Kuhl U, Pauschinger M, Poller W, Schultheiss HP. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Anti-viral treatment in patients with virus-induced cardiomyopathy.
Ernst Schering Res Found Workshop. 2006;(55):323-42.
PMID: 16329670 [PubMed - in process]
32: Poller W, Fechner H, Kuhl U, Pauschinger M, Schultheiss HP. Related Articles, Links
Abstract New therapeutics targets in chronic viral cardiomyopathy.
Ernst Schering Res Found Workshop. 2006;(55):287-303.
PMID: 16329668 [PubMed - in process]
33: Leonhardt J, Stanulla M, von Wasielewski R, Skokowa J, Kubler J, Ure BM, Petersen C. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Gene expression profile of the infective murine model for biliary atresia.
Pediatr Surg Int. 2006 Jan;22(1):84-9.
PMID: 16328331 [PubMed - in process]
34: Geenen K, Favoreel HW, Nauwynck HJ. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Cell type-specific resistance of trigeminal ganglion neurons towards apoptotic stimuli.
Vet Microbiol. 2005 Dec 1; [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 16326038 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
35: Olson JK, Ercolini AM, Miller SD. Related Articles, Links
Abstract A virus-induced molecular mimicry model of multiple sclerosis.
Curr Top Microbiol Immunol. 2005;296:39-53. Review.
PMID: 16323419 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
36: Blanco JC, Boukhvalova MS, Hemming P, Ottolini MG, Prince GA. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Prospects of antiviral and anti-inflammatory therapy for respiratory syncytial virus infection.
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2005 Dec;3(6):945-55.
PMID: 16307507 [PubMed - in process]
37: Amara RR, Patel K, Niedziela G, Nigam P, Sharma S, Staprans SI, Montefiori DC, Chenareddi L, Herndon JG, Robinson HL, McClure HM, Novembre FJ. Related Articles, Links
Abstract A combination DNA and attenuated simian immunodeficiency virus vaccine strategy provides enhanced protection from simian/human immunodeficiency virus-induced disease.
J Virol. 2005 Dec;79(24):15356-67.
PMID: 16306607 [PubMed - in process]
38: Katou S, Yoshioka H, Kawakita K, Rowland O, Jones JD, Mori H, Doke N. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Involvement of PPS3 Phosphorylated by Elicitor-Responsive Mitogen-Activated Protein Kinases in the Regulation of Plant Cell Death.
Plant Physiol. 2005 Dec;139(4):1914-26. Epub 2005 Nov 23.
PMID: 16306147 [PubMed - in process]
39: Lin R, Yang L, Nakhaei P, Sun Q, Sharif-Askari E, Julkunen I, Hiscott J. Related Articles, Links
Free Full Text Negative regulation of the RIG-I-induced antiviral state by the ubiquitin-editing protein A20.
J Biol Chem. 2005 Nov 23; [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 16306043 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
40: Galler R, Marchevsky RS, Caride E, Almeida LF, Yamamura AM, Jabor AV, Motta MC, Bonaldo MC, Coutinho ES, Freire MS. Related Articles, Links
Free Full Text Attenuation and immunogenicity of recombinant yellow fever 17D-dengue type 2 virus for rhesus monkeys.
Braz J Med Biol Res. 2005 Dec;38(12):1835-46. Epub 2005 Nov 9.
PMID: 16302098 [PubMed - in process]
41: Walsh MJ, Jonsson JR, Richardson MM, Lipka G, Purdie D, Clouston A, Powell EE. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Non-response to antiviral therapy is associated with obesity and increased hepatic expression of SOCS-3 in patients with chronic hepatitis C, viral genotype 1.
Gut. 2005 Nov 18; [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 16299039 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
42: Liu ML, Lee YP, Wang YF, Lei HY, Liu CC, Wang SM, Su IJ, Wang JR, Yeh TM, Chen SH, Yu CK. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Type I interferons protect mice against enterovirus 71 infection.
J Gen Virol. 2005 Dec;86(Pt 12):3263-9.
PMID: 16298971 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
43: Cohen S, Pante N. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Pushing the envelope: microinjection of Minute virus of mice into Xenopus oocytes causes damage to the nuclear envelope.
J Gen Virol. 2005 Dec;86(Pt 12):3243-52.
PMID: 16298969 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
44: Verma S, Ziegler K, Ananthula P, Co JK, Frisque RJ, Yanagihara R, Nerurkar VR. Related Articles, Links
Abstract JC virus induces altered patterns of cellular gene expression: Interferon-inducible genes as major transcriptional targets.
Virology. 2005 Nov 15; [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 16297951 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
45: Edwards MR, Kebadze T, Johnson MW, Johnston SL. Related Articles, Links
Abstract New treatment regimes for virus-induced exacerbations of asthma.
Pulm Pharmacol Ther. 2005 Nov 9; [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 16289761 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
46: Eble PL, de Bruin MG, Bouma A, van Hemert-Kluitenberg F, Dekker A. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Comparison of immune responses after intra-typic heterologous and homologous vaccination against foot-and-mouth disease virus infection in pigs.
Vaccine. 2005 Oct 4; [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 16289709 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
47: Lin CW, Lin KH, Lyu PC, Chen WJ. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Japanese encephalitis virus NS2B-NS3 protease binding to phage-displayed human brain proteins with the domain of trypsin inhibitor and basic region leucine zipper.
Virus Res. 2005 Nov 9; [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 16289409 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
48: Yao K, Dou J, Xu J, Sun H, Peng G, Ren Q, Ji X. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Isolation of Nanjing local strains of HHV-7 and their biological and immunological characteristics.
Cell Mol Immunol. 2004 Oct;1(5):367-72.
PMID: 16285896 [PubMed - in process]
49: McCartney AW, Greenwood JS, Fabian MR, White KA, Mullen RT. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Localization of the tomato bushy stunt virus replication protein p33 reveals a peroxisome-to-endoplasmic reticulum sorting pathway.
Plant Cell. 2005 Dec;17(12):3513-31. Epub 2005 Nov 11.
PMID: 16284309 [PubMed - in process]
50: Collins AS, Nakahara T, Do A, Lambert PF. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Interactions with pocket proteins contribute to the role of human papillomavirus type 16 E7 in the papillomavirus life cycle.
J Virol. 2005 Dec;79(23):14769-80.
PMID: 16282477 [PubMed - in process]
51: Subramanian A, Teal HE, Correll PH, Paulson RF. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Resistance to friend virus-induced erythroleukemia in W/W(v) mice is caused by a spleen-specific defect which results in a severe reduction in target cells and a lack of Sf-Stk expression.
J Virol. 2005 Dec;79(23):14586-94.
PMID: 16282458 [PubMed - in process]
52: Quaresma JA, Barros VL, Pagliari C, Fernandes ER, Guedes F, Takakura CF, Andrade HF Jr, Vasconcelos PF, Duarte MI. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Revisiting the liver in human yellow fever: Virus-induced apoptosis in hepatocytes associated with TGF-beta, TNF-alpha and NK cells activity.
Virology. 2005 Nov 5; [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 16278000 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
53: Chen MS Jr. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Cancer health disparities among Asian Americans: what we do and what we need to do.
Cancer. 2005 Dec 15;104(12 Suppl):2895-902.
PMID: 16270313 [PubMed - in process]
54: Remenyik E, Juhasz A, Hunyadi J. Related Articles, Links
Abstract [Kaposi's sarcoma]
Orv Hetil. 2005 Oct 2;146(40):2047-55. Review. Hungarian.
PMID: 16259333 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
55: Ahn CS, Lee JH, Pai HS. Related Articles, Links
Free Full Text Silencing of NbNAP1 encoding a plastidic SufB-like protein affects chloroplast development in Nicotiana benthamiana.
Mol Cells. 2005 Aug 31;20(1):112-8.
PMID: 16258249 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
56: Richards JR. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Feline immunodeficiency virus vaccine: implications for diagnostic testing and disease management.
Biologicals. 2005 Dec;33(4):215-7. Epub 2005 Oct 28.
PMID: 16257536 [PubMed - in process]
57: Jones C, Inman M, Peng W, Henderson G, Doster A, Perng GC, Angeletti AK. Related Articles, Links
Abstract The herpes simplex virus type 1 locus that encodes the latency-associated transcript enhances the frequency of encephalitis in male BALB/c mice.
J Virol. 2005 Nov;79(22):14465-9.
PMID: 16254383 [PubMed - in process]
58: Wasilenko ST, Banadyga L, Bond D, Barry M. Related Articles, Links
Abstract The vaccinia virus F1L protein interacts with the proapoptotic protein Bak and inhibits Bak activation.
J Virol. 2005 Nov;79(22):14031-43.
PMID: 16254338 [PubMed - in process]
59: Lenschow DJ, Giannakopoulos NV, Gunn LJ, Johnston C, O'Guin AK, Schmidt RE, Levine B, Virgin HW 4th. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Identification of interferon-stimulated gene 15 as an antiviral molecule during Sindbis virus infection in vivo.
J Virol. 2005 Nov;79(22):13974-83.
PMID: 16254333 [PubMed - in process]
60: Veckman V, Osterlund P, Fagerlund R, Melen K, Matikainen S, Julkunen I. Related Articles, Links
Abstract TNF-alpha and IFN-alpha enhance influenza-A-virus-induced chemokine gene expression in human A549 lung epithelial cells.
Virology. 2005 Oct 24; [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 16253303 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
61: Royds JA, Hibma M, Dix BR, Hananeia L, Russell IA, Wiles A, Wynford-Thomas D, Braithwaite AW. Related Articles, Links
Abstract p53 promotes adenoviral replication and increases late viral gene expression.
Oncogene. 2005 Oct 24; [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 16247442 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
62: Chiasson D, Ekengren SK, Martin GB, Dobney SL, Snedden WA. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Calmodulin-like proteins from Arabidopsis and tomato are involved in host defense against Pseudomonas syringae pv. tomato.
Plant Mol Biol. 2005 Aug;58(6):887-97.
PMID: 16240180 [PubMed - in process]
63: Matter M, Mumprecht S, Pinschewer DD, Pavelic V, Yagita H, Krautwald S, Borst J, Ochsenbein AF. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Virus-induced polyclonal B cell activation improves protective CTL memory via retained CD27 expression on memory CTL.
Eur J Immunol. 2005 Nov;35(11):3229-39.
PMID: 16231287 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
64: Micoli KJ, Mamaeva O, Piller SC, Barker JL, Pan G, Hunter E, McDonald JM. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Point mutations in the C-terminus of HIV-1 gp160 reduce apoptosis and calmodulin binding without affecting viral replication.
Virology. 2005 Oct 14; [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 16229872 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
65: Zejc-Bajsarowicz M, Ciesla A, Mach T, Janas-Skulina U, Warunek W, Zyrkowska-Bieda T. Related Articles, Links
Abstract [Changes of lipid metabolism in patients with chronic viral hepatitis treated with interferon alpha]
Przegl Lek. 2005;62(4):214-7. Polish.
PMID: 16229237 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
66: Hausmann J, Pagenstecher A, Baur K, Richter K, Rziha HJ, Staeheli P. Related Articles, Links
Abstract CD8 T cells require gamma interferon to clear borna disease virus from the brain and prevent immune system-mediated neuronal damage.
J Virol. 2005 Nov;79(21):13509-18.
PMID: 16227271 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
67: Shannon-Lowe C, Baldwin G, Feederle R, Bell A, Rickinson A, Delecluse HJ. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Epstein-Barr virus-induced B-cell transformation: quantitating events from virus binding to cell outgrowth.
J Gen Virol. 2005 Nov;86(Pt 11):3009-19.
PMID: 16227222 [PubMed - in process]
68: Zhang C, Ghabrial SA. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Development of Bean pod mottle virus-based vectors for stable protein expression and sequence-specific virus-induced gene silencing in soybean.
Virology. 2005 Oct 13; [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 16226780 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
69: Alberti A, Vario A, Ferrari A, Pistis R. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Review article: chronic hepatitis C--natural history and cofactors.
Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2005 Nov;22 Suppl 2:74-8.
PMID: 16225479 [PubMed - in process]
70: Basak A. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Inhibitors of proprotein convertases.
J Mol Med. 2005 Nov;83(11):844-55. Epub 2005 Oct 8.
PMID: 16215768 [PubMed - in process]
71: Palsson B, Verbaan H. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Partial splenic embolization as pretreatment for antiviral therapy in hepatitis C virus infection.
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2005 Nov;17(11):1153-5.
PMID: 16215425 [PubMed - in process]
72: Mlotshwa S, Schauer SE, Smith TH, Mallory AC, Herr JM Jr, Roth B, Merchant DS, Ray A, Bowman LH, Vance VB. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Ectopic DICER-LIKE1 expression in P1/HC-Pro Arabidopsis rescues phenotypic anomalies but not defects in microRNA and silencing pathways.
Plant Cell. 2005 Nov;17(11):2873-85. Epub 2005 Oct 7.
PMID: 16214897 [PubMed - in process]
73: Randall C. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Pharmaceutical prescribing for children. Part 1. Introduction and general principles of prescribing for children.
Prim Dent Care. 2005 Oct;12(4):123-6.
PMID: 16212820 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
74: Hileman LC, Drea S, Martino G, Litt A, Irish VF. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Virus-induced gene silencing is an effective tool for assaying gene function in the basal eudicot species Papaver somniferum (opium poppy).
Plant J. 2005 Oct;44(2):334-41.
PMID: 16212610 [PubMed - in process]
75: Horga MA, Macip S, Tuyama AC, Tan MC, Gusella GL. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Human parainfluenza virus 3 neuraminidase activity contributes to dendritic cell maturation.
Viral Immunol. 2005;18(3):523-33.
PMID: 16212531 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
76: Meins F Jr, Si-Ammour A, Blevins T. Related Articles, Links
Abstract RNA silencing systems and their relevance to plant development.
Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol. 2005;21:297-318.
PMID: 16212497 [PubMed - in process]
77: Tyner JW, Uchida O, Kajiwara N, Kim EY, Patel AC, O'Sullivan MP, Walter MJ, Schwendener RA, Cook DN, Danoff TM, Holtzman MJ. Related Articles, Links
Abstract CCL5-CCR5 interaction provides antiapoptotic signals for macrophage survival during viral infection.
Nat Med. 2005 Nov;11(11):1180-7. Epub 2005 Oct 2.
PMID: 16208318 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
78: Mikami M, Yang J. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Short hairpin RNA-mediated selective knockdown of NaV1.8 tetrodotoxin-resistant voltage-gated sodium channel in dorsal root ganglion neurons.
Anesthesiology. 2005 Oct;103(4):828-36.
PMID: 16192776 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
79: Lamien CE, Mans J, Meda A, Couacy-Hymann E, Romito M, Ouedraogo AG, Nacoulma OG, Viljoen GJ. Related Articles, Links
Abstract In ovo inhibition of fowlpoxvirus replication by a gall extract from Guiera senegalensis.
Avian Pathol. 2005 Apr;34(2):127-32.
PMID: 16191693 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
80: Yang G, Pevear DC, Davies MH, Collett MS, Bailey T, Rippen S, Barone L, Burns C, Rhodes G, Tohan S, Huggins JW, Baker RO, Buller RL, Touchette E, Waller K, Schriewer J, Neyts J, DeClercq E, Jones K, Hruby D, Jordan R. Related Articles, Links
Abstract An orally bioavailable antipoxvirus compound (ST-246) inhibits extracellular virus formation and protects mice from lethal orthopoxvirus Challenge.
J Virol. 2005 Oct;79(20):13139-49.
PMID: 16189015 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
81: Dahl J, You J, Benjamin TL. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Induction and utilization of an ATM signaling pathway by polyomavirus.
J Virol. 2005 Oct;79(20):13007-17.
PMID: 16189003 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
82: Nishigaki K, Hanson C, Thompson D, Yugawa T, Ruscetti S. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Activation of the Jun N-terminal kinase pathway by friend spleen focus-forming virus and its role in the growth and survival of friend virus-induced erythroleukemia cells.
J Virol. 2005 Oct;79(20):12752-62.
PMID: 16188978 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
83: Rajak KK, Sreenivasa BP, Hosamani M, Singh RP, Singh SK, Singh RK, Bandyopadhyay SK. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Experimental studies on immunosuppressive effects of peste des petits ruminants (PPR) virus in goats.
Comp Immunol Microbiol Infect Dis. 2005 Jul;28(4):287-96. Epub 2005 Sep 26.
PMID: 16188317 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
84: Harvey SA, Romanowski EG, Yates KA, Gordon YJ. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Adenovirus-directed ocular innate immunity: the role of conjunctival defensin-like chemokines (IP-10, I-TAC) and phagocytic human defensin-alpha.
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2005 Oct;46(10):3657-65.
PMID: 16186347 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
85: Lukhovitskaya NI, Yelina NE, Zamyatnin AA Jr, Schepetilnikov MV, Solovyev AG, Sandgren M, Morozov SY, Valkonen JP, Savenkov EI. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Expression, localization and effects on virulence of the cysteine-rich 8 kDa protein of Potato mop-top virus.
J Gen Virol. 2005 Oct;86(Pt 10):2879-89.
PMID: 16186244 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
86: Londhe VA, Belperio JA, Keane MP, Burdick MD, Xue YY, Strieter RM. Related Articles, Links
Abstract CXCR2/CXCR2 ligand biological axis impairs alveologenesis during dsRNA-induced lung inflammation in mice.
Pediatr Res. 2005 Nov;58(5):919-26. Epub 2005 Sep 23.
PMID: 16183824 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
87: Gorczynska E, Turkiewicz D, Rybka K, Toporski J, Kalwak K, Dyla A, Szczyra Z, Chybicka A. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Incidence, clinical outcome, and management of virus-induced hemorrhagic cystitis in children and adolescents after allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation.
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2005 Oct;11(10):797-804.
PMID: 16182180 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
88: Marchesini G, Forlani G, Bugianesi E. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Is liver disease a threat to patients with metabolic disorders?
Ann Med. 2005;37(5):333-46. Review.
PMID: 16179269 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
89: Alsharifi M, Lobigs M, Regner M, Lee E, Koskinen A, Mullbacher A. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Type I interferons trigger systemic, partial lymphocyte activation in response to viral infection.
J Immunol. 2005 Oct 1;175(7):4635-40.
PMID: 16177109 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
90: Renukaradhya GJ, Webb TJ, Khan MA, Lin YL, Du W, Gervay-Hague J, Brutkiewicz RR. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Virus-induced inhibition of CD1d1-mediated antigen presentation: reciprocal regulation by p38 and ERK.
J Immunol. 2005 Oct 1;175(7):4301-8.
PMID: 16177070 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
91: Zhang J, Randall MS, Loyd MR, Li W, Schweers RL, Persons DA, Rehg JE, Noguchi CT, Ihle JN, Ney PA. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Role of erythropoietin receptor signaling in Friend virus-induced erythroblastosis and polycythemia.
Blood. 2006 Jan 1;107(1):73-8. Epub 2005 Sep 20.
PMID: 16174761 [PubMed - in process]
92: Krzyzowska M, Cymerys J, Winnicka A, Niemialtowski M. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Involvement of Fas and FasL in Ectromelia virus-induced apoptosis in mouse brain.
Virus Res. 2005 Sep 14; [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 16169110 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
93: Hein A, Martin JP, Dorries R. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Early pathological changes in the central nervous system of acutely feline-immunodeficiency-virus-infected cats.
Virology. 2005 Dec 20;343(2):162-70. Epub 2005 Sep 15.
PMID: 16168453 [PubMed - in process]
94: Chen JC, Jiang CZ, Reid MS. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Silencing a prohibitin alters plant development and senescence.
Plant J. 2005 Oct;44(1):16-24.
PMID: 16167892 [PubMed - in process]
95: Restrepo S, Myers KL, del Pozo O, Martin GB, Hart AL, Buell CR, Fry WE, Smart CD. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Gene profiling of a compatible interaction between Phytophthora infestans and Solanum tuberosum suggests a role for carbonic anhydrase.
Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2005 Sep;18(9):913-22.
PMID: 16167762 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
96: Mesplede T, Island ML, Christeff N, Petek F, Doly J, Navarro S. Related Articles, Links
Abstract The POU transcription factor Oct-1 represses virus-induced interferon A gene expression.
Mol Cell Biol. 2005 Oct;25(19):8717-31.
PMID: 16166650 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
97: Whigham LD, Israel BA, Atkinson RL. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Adipogenic potential of multiple human adenoviruses in vivo and in vitro in animals.
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2006 Jan;290(1):R190-4. Epub 2005 Sep 15.
PMID: 16166204 [PubMed - in process]
98: Szabo G, Dolganiuc A. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Subversion of plasmacytoid and myeloid dendritic cell functions in chronic HCV infection.
Immunobiology. 2005;210(2-4):237-47.
PMID: 16164031 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
99: Lu SY, Qiao YJ, Xiao PG, Tan XH. Related Articles, Links
Abstract [Identification of antiviral activity of Toddalia asiatica against influenza type A virus]
Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi. 2005 Jul;30(13):998-1001. Chinese.
PMID: 16161428 [PubMed - in process]
100: Baldock PA, Sainsbury A, Allison S, Lin EJ, Couzens M, Boey D, Enriquez R, During M, Herzog H, Gardiner EM. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Hypothalamic control of bone formation: distinct actions of leptin and y2 receptor pathways.
J Bone Miner Res. 2005 Oct;20(10):1851-7. Epub 2005 May 31.
PMID: 16160743 [PubMed - in process]
Items 1 - 100 of 7661

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Did you read the titles of your results?

"Silencing an ACC oxidase gene affects the susceptible host response of Nicotiana benthamiana to infection by Colletotrichum orbiculare."
"Free Full Text Hsp90 Regulates Activation of IRF-3 and TBK-1 Stabilization in Sendai Virus-infected Cells."
"Abstract Prolonged ECMO Support for Virus-Induced Cardiorespiratory Failure Early After Cardiac Surgery."
"Abstract Bidirectional interactions between viral respiratory illnesses and cytokine responses in the first year of life"
"Abstract Renal anemia aggravated by long-term parvovirus b19 and cytomegalovirus infection in a renal transplant patient: case report and evaluation of b19 seroprevalence in dialysis patients."
"Abstract Maternal HIV type 1 infection suppresses MMP-1 expression in endothelial cells of uninfected newborns: nonviral vertical transmission of HIV type 1-related effects."
"Free Full Text Promoter organization of the interferon-A genes differentially affects virus-induced expression and responsiveness to TBK1 and IKKepsilon"
"Abstract Human Cytomegalovirus Immediate-Early 2 Protein IE86 Blocks Virus-Induced Chemokine Expression."

Nine out of the first ten do not deal with obesity. I went through the first 30 or so and stopped reading.

Ciao,
~MFP

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by bsl4doc
Did you read the titles of your results?

Nine out of the first ten do not deal with obesity.

They are research papers dealing with viruses and obesity - the research deals with obesity even though the title does not use the word.

Here are a few abstracts with the word obesity in the titles and abstracts:

Hyperinsuline mia induced by canine distemper virus infection of mice and its correlation with the appearance of obesity. Comp Biochem Physiol B. 1988;91(4):691-6. Bernard A, Zwingelstein G, Meister R, Wild TF. Unite de Virologie Fondamentale et Appliquee, INSERM U.51, CNRS UA 613 Lyon, France.

1. Weanling Swiss mice surviving an acute infection with canine distemper virus were persistently infected. Among these mice, up to 30% had hyperinsulinemia and this was followed by an obesity syndrome. 2. Analysis of the lipid composition of various organs revealed that compared to control animals, the obese had an accumulation of triglycerides in both liver and adipose tissue. 3. Studies on the lipid metabolism using a number of radioactive lipid precursors showed a specific accumulation of the triglycerides of the obese animals. 4. A decrease of lipogenesis was observed in white adipose tissue of obese mice. Glycogenesis and serum glucose levels were unaffected during obesity. 5. The model of canine distemper virus-induced obesity is compared with other experimental models.
PMID: 3224507

Distribution of Borna disease virus in the brain of rats infected with an obesity-inducing virus strain. Brain Pathol. 2000 Jan;10(1):39-48. Herden C, Herzog S, Richt JA, Nesseler A, Christ M, Failing K, Frese K. Institut fur Virologie, Justus-Liebig-Universitat Giessen, Germany.

Experimental infection of Lewis rats with Borna disease virus (BDV), a nonsegmented, single-stranded RNA virus, usually causes an immune-mediated biphasic neurobehavioral disorder. Such animals develop a persistent infection of the CNS with viral antigen expression in all brain regions and a disseminated nonpurulent meningoencephalitis. Interestingly, intracerebral infection of Lewis rats with a BDV-variant (BDV-ob) causes a rapid increase of body weight with the development of an obesity syndrome without obvious neurological signs. The obese phenotype is correlated with a characteristic distribution of inflammatory lesions and BDV-antigen in the rat brain. Infiltration with mononuclear immune cells and viral antigen expression are restricted to the septum, hippocampus, amygdala and ventromedian tuberal hypothalamus. Therefore, infection with the obesity-inducing BDV-ob results most likely in neuroendocrine dysregulations leading to the development of an obesity syndrome. This might be due to the restriction of viral antigen expression and inflammatory lesions to brain areas which are involved in the regulation of body weight and food intake. The BDV-induced obesity syndrome represents a model for the study of immune-mediated neuroendocrine disorders caused by viral infections of the CNS.
PMID: 10668894

Infectobesi ty: obesity of infectious origin. J Nutr. 2001 Oct;131(10):2794S-2797S. Dhurandhar NV. The Department of Nutrition and Food Science and the Center for Molecular Medicine and Genetics, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 48202, USA. [email protected]

In the U.S., the prevalence of obesity increased by 30% from 1980 to 1990, and this increase appears to be continuing. Although obesity has multiple etiologies, an overlooked possibility is obesity of an infectious origin. Six pathogens are reported to cause obesity in animals. Canine distemper virus was the first virus reported to cause obesity in mice, followed by Rous-associated virus-7, an avian retrovirus, which has been shown to cause stunting, obesity and hyperlipidemia in chickens. Next, the obesity-promoting effect of Borna disease virus was demonstrated in rats. Scrapie agents were reported to induce obesity in mice and hamsters. The final two reports were of SMAM-1, an avian adenovirus, and Ad-36, a human adenovirus that caused obesity in animals. Additionally, an association with human obesity is the unique feature of SMAM-1 and Ad-36. Although the exact mechanism of pathogen-induced obesity is unclear, infection attributable to certain organisms should be included in the long list of potential etiological factors for obesity. In addition, the involvement of some pathogens in etiology of obesity suggests the possibility of a similar role for additional pathogens.
PMID: 11584109
Full Text

Alteration of the leptin network in late morbid obesity induced in mice by brain infection with canine distemper virus. J Virol. 1999 Sep;73(9):7317-27. Bernard A, Cohen R, Khuth ST, Vedrine B, Verlaeten O, Akaoka H, Giraudon P, Belin MF. INSERM U433, Neurobiologie Experimentale et Physiopathologie, Faculte de Medecine RTH Laennec, 69372 Lyon Cedex 08, France. [email protected]

Viruses can induce progressive neurologic disorders associated with diverse pathological manifestations, and therefore, viral infection of the brain can impair differentiated neural functions, depending on the initial viral tropism. We have previously reported that canine distemper virus (CDV) targets certain mouse brain structures, including the hypothalamus, early and selectively. Infected mice exhibit acute encephalitis, with late disease, characterized by motor impairment or obesity syndrome, appearing in some of the surviving mice several months after the initial viral replication. In the present study, we show viral persistence in the hypothalami of obese mice, as demonstrated by low, but still significant, levels of CDV nucleoprotein transcripts, associated with a dramatic decrease in F gene mRNAs. Given the pivotal role of the hypothalamus in obesity (eating behavior, energy consumption, and neuroendocrine function) and that of leptin, the adipose tissue-derived satiety factor acting through hypothalamic receptors, we analyzed the leptin networks in both obese and nonobese mice. The discrepancy found between the chronic and dramatic increase in blood leptin levels and the occurrence of obesity may be due to leptin resistance in the brain. In fact, expression of the long leptin receptor isoform, representing the functional leptin receptor, was specifically downregulated in the hypothalami of obese mice, explaining their inability to generate an adequate response to leptin in the brain. Intriguingly, during the acute phase of infection, its expression was increased in CDV-targeted structures in all infected mice and remained high in obese mice in all CDV-targeted structures, except for the hypothalamus. The biphasic change in hypothalamic leptin receptor expression seen during the progression of CDV-induced obesity provides a new paradigm for understanding mechanisms of neuroendocrinological, virus-induced abnormalities.
PMID: 10438820
Full Text

Also worth looking for:
Virus-induced obesity. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2006 Jan;290(1):R188-9. Greenway F. PMID: 16352860 (No Abstract)

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Well I still think the virus was created and spread through vaccination (remember how it was 'induced' in critters) and though Australia is suddenly catching up with the US, this didn't coincide with fast food or video games etc. but our increased vaccination rate.

As to 100 or 200 years ago, I was talking about 25 or 50 years ago, when we did drive or commute to offices, go home via the pub, and eat fat like Eskimos in every large meal, had just as many, if not more, 'modern conveniences' as the 'poor' fat people of today AND had much lower rates of vaccination, inc. the number of diseases covered in one shot, the number of shot over time and all sorts of other 'tinkering' by drug companies.

Conspiracy site guys, NWO and all that. Drug company and vaccination debates, remember? All these modern problems can still be tracked down to the same handfull of 'families'.

I'm not saying everything is a conspiracy, but leaving alot of problems to continue can benifit the, "keep 'em worried about dying and they won't worry about what's really going on", nasty little bunch of world ruling elite.

Remember, very large people spend alot of money, whether it's in expensive, endless diets and 'treatments' to loose weight and constant 'fat', 'thin' clothes buying, etc., or food consumption and up sizing everything to be more comfortable, etc. It helps distribute wealth from those supplying the 'trendy lifestylers' fashions and 'pursuits' to their "brothers", opposite businesses.

I am constantly amazed at the limited, one narrow track, line of thinking and questioning, many ATSers display. Surely some must be dis-info. agents.

Now I'm sure more people should read Terry Pratchett, it's alot easier to absorb the connection between alot of underhanded facts of life, when you're laughing your socks off. Will The Unseen University ever benifit the world as much as the faculty? Will Captain Carrot ever accept his Crown? Is The Patrician the Anti-Christ? Why does the worlds worst wizard, Rincewind, keep saving the world and how does he keep giving Death the slip? Are Rincewind and The Partrician related? Ain't it grand how all those "Guilds" run things behind the scenes!....Sorry to end OT, but you folk all really need a laugh!

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by suzy ryan
Well I still think the virus was created and spread through vaccination (remember how it was 'induced' in critters) and though Australia is suddenly catching up with the US, this didn't coincide with fast food or video games etc. but our increased vaccination rate.

Good post suzy ryan, thanks.

Just to clarify though, there is not just one virus that "causes" obesity. By 2001, 6 pathogens were known to cause obesity syndromes in animals: 2 that also affected humans. More have been identified since then, plus other environmental factors in obesity's "multifactorial etiology." Point being, obesity really is a disease, not a character flaw.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join