It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virus Induced Obesity - what the hell!?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Excerpt from

HERE
......But consider for a moment a novel theory known as "virus-induced obesity" put forward by a handful of researchers. The idea is that there may be a virus - much like the common cold or the flu - that many people get infected with and that makes them far more likely to be overweight.

"This is all speculation, of course, but we've found a human virus we can give to chickens and mice and they get fat," said Dr. Richard Atkinson, a Virginia researcher who's president of Obetech Obesity Research Center. " ... and we've looked in people, and about 30 percent of obese people had this virus, and only 11 percent of [normal weight] people had it ... if you have this virus, your chances of getting obese are 60 percent to 100 percent."

Ok im relatively thin but this scared me. It actually scared me. Can this little bugger be real? Whilst i realise some obesity is obviously self inflicted, i've heard time and time again cases of people who eat next to nothing but healthily, excercise regularly, yet become overweight. Could this account for at least some cases?
Or does everyone know about this and have I just missed the boat on this story?

[edit on 6-1-2006 by Shadow88]

Mod Edit: All caps title, and corrections to external source material.

[edit on 7-1-2006 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Whilst i realise some obesity is obviously self inflicted

Some? Try almost all.

i've heard time and time again cases of people who eat next to nothing but healthily, excercise regularly, yet become overweight

Most of those people are trying to fool you. While you're not around they eat 2 pizzas and wash it down with a gallon of ice cream.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   
OMG read this. From Pubmed.govLINK

A virally induced obesity syndrome in mice. Lyons MJ, Faust IM, Hemmes RB, Buskirk DR, Hirsch J, Zabriskie JB. An obesity syndrome was found in a number of mice infected as young adults with canine distemper virus, a morbillivirus antigenically related to measles. Body weights of obese animals 16 to 20 weeks after infection were comparable to those reported for genetically obese mice and for mice rendered obese by hypothalamic lesions. The total number of adipocytes in specific fat deposits was greater in obese animals than in their lean littermates. This hyperplasia was accompanied by moderate cell enlargement. Pancreatic islet tissue was also hypercellular in the obese mice. Brain tissue from the obese mice showed no overt pathology, and immunofluorescence staining for viral antigens was negative. There may be a selective, virus-induced disruption of critical brain catecholamine pathways.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   

......But consider for a moment a novel theory known as "virus-induced obesity" put forward by a handful of researchers. The idea is that there may be a virus - much like the common cold or the flu - that many people get infected with and that makes them far more likely to be overweight.

sounds like a great scapegoat for being a lazy beast!

Yes i'm not fat nor big boned infact i've a virus... yep sure sucks nothing i can do... guess i'll just eat this 6 foot sub... since i'm ill and all stand back you may catch my fat germs.

I'm sure their diet of CRAP food had nothing to do with it. damn viruses always making us fat and lazy.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   
This has been looked at for some time, and the stats i found indicated that 30% of obese people had the virus, while NONE of the thin people had it...

the research so far looks very promising, that up to 30% of obese people might be "cured" of obesity, rather than trained away from it...

I have known several people that have done everything next to starving themselves, to lose weight...

Maybe this is the clue.

Of course, we can all see clearly that most obese people have nothing to blame but themselves... but not all...

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   
yes, the virus is called laziness.
They have a cure, it is called a treadmill.

Seriously, I understand that some people are prone to be overweight and they cant help it. But our society is strung on making excuses for things. This is one. For people who are overweight, and are not proned, just excercise a little. Everyone is looking for a quick fix.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   

I'm sure their diet of CRAP food had nothing to do with it.

Just because one eats "healthy" food does not mean they won't get fat.
It all boils down to calories consumed versus calories burned.
If I eat 5000 calories a day but only burn 1500, guess what, after a month I would have gained 20 or 30 pounds.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 05:54 PM
link   

If I eat 5000 calories a day but only burn 1500, guess what, after a month I would have gained 20 or 30 pounds.

very true, being a bodybuilder this is very important. But we have to remember, 90% of obesity is just people being lazy, it sounds harsh, but it is true.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Actually no, not almost all is due to binge eating. Granted a significant percentage yes, but in no way is it always their own fault.

A problem with over production of insulin can cause significantly increased weight gain. Also a person can be genetically predisposed with low metabolism, causing storage/less use of body fat, some seriously low. Hypothyroidism, hormonal problems are some of many causes of the onset of obesity. Need I go on? Dont have so much prejudice its not always their fault. Its so easy for those skinny ones to say its just laziness.

But this virus huh pretty creepy?

Also it wouldnt be an excuse, as all it would take is to go to the doctors and get diagnosed for the virus.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Ok, so we obviously have some ATS'ers that have some issues with Fat people...

what was it... was momma too fat to hug?
was daddy too fat to play ball with?

well, instead of ignorantly offending people who might be truely medically illl,
try reading up on this research, and see that it isn't being used as an excuse, but a chance to cure mankind of a serious illness...

and BTW... since you all have no weight problems... how would you like to wake up with about an extra 10 pounds, and keep gaining every day no matter how little you eat...
I have known a few... doctors blamed it on a screwy metabolism, but with this research, I am sure they will be reconsidering

but hey, come back and see us when that happens, so we can tell you that you are just lazy, and eat to much...

think people...and read... this is good news...
BTW...i weigh 190 at 6.4" and haven't ever been overweight. So i am not personally offended, but am offended that some ATS'ers can be as ignorant as they have been...

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skibum

I'm sure their diet of CRAP food had nothing to do with it.

well... I'm sure a massive diet of healthy food beats out living off massive helpings of fast food does it not?

at what point do you say "GEE GOLLY I've just gained 20 lbs PERHAPS i should watch my diet I gotta exercise I gotta stop being such a massive chunk of flesh."

instead of

waking up one day to say

DEAR LORD I NOW WEIGH OVER 300LBS and I'm 5'4.

imo 95% of people are fat because they choose so. whatever it is. maybe they are lazy. perhaps they eat comfort foods. but in the end its their own doing.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong

nope.

So i am not personally offended, but am offended that some ATS'ers can be as ignorant as they have been...

ok then so everyone that is fat is fat not because they have choosen to do so to themselves. instead its just a virus.

I'm not saying EVERYONE who is overweight is free of this virus. But lets be honest the VAST MAJORITY aren't going to be infected.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Actually no, not almost all is due to binge eating. Granted a significant percentage yes, but in no way is it always their own fault.

A problem with over production of insulin can cause significantly increased weight gain. Also a person can be genetically predisposed with low metabolism, causing storage/less use of body fat, some seriously low. Hypothyroidism, hormonal problems are some of many causes of the onset of obesity. Need I go on? Dont have so much prejudice its not always their fault. Its so easy for those skinny ones to say its just laziness.

Lazarusthelong thankyou, I see I was wrong about some of the ATS members.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
Ok, so we obviously have some ATS'ers that have some issues with Fat people...

well, instead of ignorantly offending people who might be truely medically illl,
try reading up on this research, and see that it isn't being used as an excuse, but a chance to cure mankind of a serious illness...

and BTW... since you all have no weight problems... how would you like to wake up with about an extra 10 pounds, and keep gaining every day no matter how little you eat...
I have known a few... doctors blamed it on a screwy metabolism, but with this research, I am sure they will be reconsidering

but hey, come back and see us when that happens, so we can tell you that you are just lazy, and eat to much...

think people...and read... this is good news...
BTW...i weigh 190 at 6.4" and haven't ever been overweight. So i am not personally offended, but am offended that some ATS'ers can be as ignorant as they have been...

I am sorry if you took offense, maybe I did not put it the right way.

My point was, I dont believe in a "fat" virus.
Shadow's post was right on.
A lot of people are predisposed to low metabolism, thyroid issues, etc. that will cause obesity.
Now, my point was what about the other people. I am included cause I have a slow metabolism.
I feel, I could be wrong, dont mean to offend anyone, but I feel that most obesity is due to lack of nutrional education. Most people dont eat well or excercise. This can cause someone to be overweight, not a virus.
But hey, I could be wrong. Hope that explains it a little better and a little less offending.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   
All evidence points to an actual virus... more testing is needed of course, but what is true in multiple animal types (the study I read, involved several)
is also true for humans usually.

Going with that for now, I feel that we can reasonably presume that
up to 30% of obese people would benefit from a vaccine.

and regarding the statistics about other reasons of weight trouble...
Shadow is right on...

it is truly ignorant to say that all obese people can only blame themselves... when in a significant percentage, there are genetic or health factors.
Counting all medical reasons and scientific fact, we have a number between 20-55%... that have medical problems, not personal problems.

now on the other hand, yes, America has far too many overweight people... we do eat too much junk, and couch ourselves too often, on the whole
but it never hurt my weight.

and as to the offenses... you all have rekindled my faith in ATS'ers... all is forgiven...

[edit on 6-1-2006 by LazarusTheLong]

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I am in agreement with Shadow88 in that there are biological factors that must be considered in obesity. The obesity could be triggered by many factors but sole responsibility for the obsesity cannot be placed upon a single virus.

Quote of the Day: If you want to lose weight, leave the dinner table a little hungry, if you want to put on weight, leave the dinner table a little fuller. Jack La Lane

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 06:37 PM
link   

sole responsibility for the obsesity cannot be placed upon a single virus.

Oh obviously not. I am merely pointing out a lesser known (and scary) virus that supposedly attributes to 30% of obesity.

The problem is, Its a cold-like virus.

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Judging by the posts in this thread, i can only assume that 98% of the western population are trained athletes

on the INTERNET

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Jesus, Mary and Joseph,

I've never seen a single thread have so many repetitive instances of outright lack of reading comprehension. Is anybody in this thread actually reading what the other person is saying?

Laz has now stated at least twice that research has shown that 30% of obese people have a common virus. So why the heck, after he has stated that twice, did we have to read a post that said "you can't blame all obesity on a single virus"?

READ for Pete's sake and you might be able to find out every damned one of you are in VIOLENT AGREEMENT. You're all saying the same thing and still arguing with each other!

*stomps off to find a thread where people are actually having a discussion*

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Now look what you've done!

I never thought you guys of all people would be so ignorant, with the exception of a few of you, you know who you are.

Read the statements about the disease. Then you will hopefully have something constructive today other than "nah tiz coz there all fatty mcfattys" or "omg you cant blame it on the virus" etc. Its not only insulting to people who are overweight its insulting to those who have spent time looking for the information.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join