It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Might Be A Hypocrite If...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   
You might be a hypocrite if you claim to suscribe to the tenents set down in the Bible and drink yourself stupid frequently.

You might be a hypocrite if "do unto others" only applies to others.

You might be a hypocrite if you rail against welfare cheats, but inturn cheat on your taxes.

You might ba a hypocrite if you worship the "Prince of Peace" but preach war.

You might be a hypocrite if you think you're smart but think others are stupid because you disagree with them.

and on and on...

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 09:27 AM
link   
You might be a hypocrite if

You state an opinion and finish the thought stating your opinion to be fact. (Note: You can also be delusional, and not a hypocrite in this situation)

You believe someone has been tortured based on their word, and no amount of evidence can convince you otherwise.

You are quick to blame America for problems in the world, but want to analyze and discover who really is responsible for the good.

You are very offended by the "N" word, but regularly say red neck or other Caucasian racial epithets.

You want minimum wage raised, mandatory benefits, and retirement programs for basic workers, but are upset with companies like Wal-Mart for causing mom and pop shops who can't afford to start and compete with a new business, trying to cover of the government overhead that is far less significant for a major chain like Wal-Mart.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Dang, remembered the other I wanted to add too late, the edit button's gone.

You might be a hypocrite if you believe all cultures need to be preserved and are sacred, and think our culture needs to change to accomodate them.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake

You might be a hypocrite if you believe all cultures need to be preserved and are sacred, and think our culture needs to change to accomodate them.

That's absolutely the best one I've seen yet.

A simple one, based on a real sighting: You might be a hypocrite if you drive an SUV with a "Save the planet" bumper sticker.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 06:50 AM
link   
...you believe that preferential treatment promotes equaility.

...Want a voice in government, but CHOOSE NOT to vote when given the chance.

Tim

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   
That there is no room for change in America but want to change the Middle East governments.

Talk about freedom and democracy but know America is a republic run on money.

Talk about diversity but when recruiting other races of people they have the same mindset as yours.

Talk about the good ole days and not mention slavery or Jim Crow.

I agree Ghost if you are refering to white christian males leading this diverse country for over 200 years without any splash of color at all.

[edit on 12/09-2005 by BlackThought]

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 10:53 AM
link   
The list is funny, being pro-life but for the death penalty isn't at all hypocritical.

Here's the most commonly used definition of hypocrite, from Dictionary.com:

A person who professes beliefs and opinions that he does not hold.

The belief that an unborn child who has done nothing wrong shouldn't be executed, and the belief that someone who rapes and kills little girls should be executed if proven guilty don't really coincide. Just because they both involve death does not make them the same issue.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   
You might be a hypocrite if you claim to follow a spiritual path but are a slave to worldly obsessions.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Herman, I understand where you're coming from, but let me explain why I believe supporting one and not the other is hypocrisy.

As a Christian, I don't believe anyone can be so far gone that they can't be forgiven for their actions. This belief is reflected in my life in that, while I wouldn't take an assault of some sort sitting down, I have taken years and years of martial arts training via a personal trainer so as to be capable of using the least amount of force in a situation while still taking down and incapacitating my attacker. The wages of sin is death, true, but I don't believe it is neither my place nor our government's place to exact that price.

I understand that a child's life is without the corruption a hardened criminal on death row's is. However, our legal system is severely flawed. If there could be complete assurance that the criminal being charged is, in fact, guilty, I might feel differently (though I doubt it). However, as it stands, our legal system is a game with the stakes being individual lives. We see examples of the guilty getting off because of a clever move by the lawyer, and I can only assume that it takes place the other way, though not as often (more checks and balances).

In short, I think state sponsored murder, in any respect, is wrong. I don't believe the state should allow the murder of infants, I don't believe the state should allow the murder of individuals incapable of defending themselves verbally or otherwise (Schiavo), and I don't believe the state should be permitted to murder the worst of us who have committed heinous crimes against others (Tookie Williams).

Whaaa: unless that spiritual path is worldly possession based or encourages that(ex. Ancient Egyptian mythology)

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Whaaa: unless that spiritual path is worldly possession based or encourages that(ex. Ancient Egyptian mythology)

JJ, I ment obssessions, but possessions sure can be an obssession; one I battle constantly. I like stuff!

If that was my only hypocricy; that would be nice.

I guess I am a consumate hypocrite because I point out others hypocracy while induldging in the same type of thinking, vice, averice and petty behavior. A work in progress I guess!

Peace!

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Jake,

Your explanation certainly shows me why you don't support the death penalty, but I fail to see in your explanation how supporting the death penalty and opposing abortion can be hypocritical. If I were vocally against abortion, I wouldn't be professing anything that might contradict what I profess in my support for the death penalty.

"I support the death penalty because I believe that people who rape, torture, and murder small children shouldn't be allowed to live."

"I'm against abortion because I don't believe that killing an unborn child is acceptable."

I don't see a contradiction.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 09:57 PM
link   
here's one...

You may be a hypocrite if you claim to embrace change and are a member of a 230-year-old political party.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Herman: In my case I would be a hypocrite because of the reasons for not killing one or the other. You, coming from different motivations, assumptions and priorities have a different reason for supporting the death penalty while being against abortion.

Parallelogram: That would be true if the party hadn't changed in any way the past 230 years.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Both the unborn child and the criminal” are both living things. More than that they are human beings. And if you follow the doctrine of pro life all life including the two types should be represented.

Tookie is a perfect example. He supposedly killed 4 people in a heinous act of violence. True but with his writings and negotiations between the Bloods and the Crips saved many many more lives. If he were executed soon after his crimes none of the good things he has done would have ever happened. When does punishment become vengeance for the victims? If you believe the lord will hold you accountable and the judgment is dulled out by the higher spirit alone then why not give all life a chance to redeem themselves. Not all killers are animals and not all criminals are not beyond rehabilitation. I think its called forgiveness. (I think it is somewhere in the bible)

Well let’s expand it further by adding programs and services that will keep people living. The same people screaming pro life are steadily pulling social programs out from under the poor how can they continue to live? These programs do service the community by helping those who don’t have as much as you or I.

[edit on 12/09-2005 by BlackThought]

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackThought
Both the unborn child and the criminal” are both living things. More than that they are human beings. And if you follow the doctrine of pro life all life including the two types should be represented.

Bottom line: I'm for executing criminals as a means of punishing them, detering crime, and removing them from society. Someone like a child molester/rapist/murderer shouldn't be being kept alive in a prison cell. I'm for killing them for what they've done. I do not, however, support killing innocent beings like unborn babies. That, by definition, is not hypocritical in any way.

I'll try to get to the rest of your post later on. I have to go to work.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob LaoTse

That's absolutely the best one I've seen yet.

A simple one, based on a real sighting: You might be a hypocrite if you drive an SUV with a "Save the planet" bumper sticker.

you might be a hypocrite if you think that america has its own culture...

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
you might be a hypocrite if you think that america has its own culture...

You're going to have to justify that one, because I would say America does have its own culture derived from so many cultures being infused in one nation. I will admit, happily, that America's culture (up until recently) had not, as France and some others have, had to legally determine what its culture is.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Why would they have to define it because there are finally competing thoughts of what is living in America. I enjoy them... I think it is hyporcitical to think all people come here for the culture. Many People I know from Europe, from Africa, back to the Americas view this country as a place to make money only.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Why would they have to define it because there are finally competing thoughts of what is living in America.

I'm guessing that was directed towards me.

I'm wondering why believing America has a unique culture is hypocritical...There is no antithesis delivered, just belief that America has its own culture makes one a hypocrite. I don't see the contradiction here, and was hoping for some clarification.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Why would they have to define it because there are finally competing thoughts of what is living in America.

I'm guessing that was directed towards me.

I'm wondering why believing America has a unique culture is hypocritical...There is no antithesis delivered, just belief that America has its own culture makes one a hypocrite. I don't see the contradiction here, and was hoping for some clarification.

I'll tell you why. It's because being pro-America means that you're blind, ignorant, a hypocrite, etc. Being anti-America is righteous, open-minded, and radical. It's ok, even encouraged in these days to insult America. You're "making your voice heard", or "Fighting the power" if you will. But if an American were criticize in the same manner another country (God forbid), he'd be labeled a blind ignorant hick.

Now, Junglejake, do you see why we're wrong?

See the reasoning here?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join