It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you shoot an animal to prove it existed?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by moonchild
what if that bigfoot thing is not an animal?

And that makes sense how? Of course Bigfoots an animal!

I would not hesitate in shooting Bigfoot. No second thoughts, of course I would be kind of creeped out when I first saw it, but then I would line up my rifle/pistol/ICBM and shoot it in the chest.

Sounds a bit sick, but it will benefit the species as a whole.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Thats like finding an animal that should be extinct or endangered and shooting it to prove its exists total stupidity

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zanzibar
I would not hesitate in shooting Bigfoot. No second thoughts, of course I would be kind of creeped out when I first saw it, but then I would line up my rifle/pistol/ICBM and shoot it in the chest.

Sounds a bit sick, but it will benefit the species as a whole.

While i agree that i would shoot bigfoot on site, i totally disagree it would benefit the species. If they exist it is in relatively small numbers and proof of their existence would put alot of people in the woods looking for them. Humans would cause their extinction quickly

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by zoso28
While i agree that i would shoot bigfoot on site, i totally disagree it would benefit the species. If they exist it is in relatively small numbers and proof of their existence would put alot of people in the woods looking for them. Humans would cause their extinction quickly

That's a good point, never really thought of it like that! We would probably wipe them out in a matter of years.

To be honest though, I have no idea what I would do, shoot it and keep it to myself, or let the world know.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   

That's a good point, never really thought of it like that! We would probably wipe them out in a matter of years.

To be honest though, I have no idea what I would do, shoot it and keep it to myself, or let the world know.

why would you just keep it for yourself?...

If i were to shoot one i would def. let the world know.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by noslenwerd

Dunno, to save the species? Actually, stuff that, I would let everyone know and become filthy rich!

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by noslenwerd

If i were to shoot one i would def. let the world know.

I'd not shoot it. Actually, I wouldn't say anything either.
I'd leave it to enjoy whatever threads of peace remained for it, before it's habitat was inevitably built on, logged to oblivion, dug up, or turned into farmland (or pharmland as it increasingly seems to be these days). Screw the cash, screw the glory.

In an ideal world, if I could 100% guarantee that the existence of this creature would protect it's environment utterly and completely, and isolate it from us, then I'd try to prove it's existence beyond doubt, but still not at the cost of killing one. This becomes an interesting moral and ethical question at this point. Would the death of one save the species ? If so, does one have the right to take that life. I think not, as it's sacrifice cannot be guaranteed to protect it's species in today's world ... :-(

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Dunno, to save the species? Actually, stuff that, I would let everyone know and become filthy rich!

You mean you wouldn't barbecue it up as a PETA fundraiser???

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by plague
the only fair thing to do with bigfoot is old fashion hand to hand combat....
you could open a can of whoop-ss on him and pull him out the woods take pictures, tag em, and release him back into nature...

Yeah, you go and fight the 9-foot tall 700 pound ape with your hands and I'll watch.

If you cornered a Bigfoot it'd probably rip a tree out of the ground and kill you with it. So the only fight you could win is one where you had a gun and a telescopic scope.

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   
i'd tranq it, pose with it, bring a scientist to examine it, tag it, and then have it released into its habitat so we can track down more of the buggers.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I do not need to prove anything to nobody
So if I would encounter an animal that was only a "myth" or yet not been proved , I would let it go peacefully away. And enjoy knowing that I knew it existed
.... Unless it attacked me

[edit on 1-1-2006 by gamerman]

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Well you could shoot then harvest a DNA sampl from it and then freeze it until you can clone it.
Any way I would have to say yeah shoot it because how many people carry around tranqulizer guns and enough sedative for a horse or 2.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   
If I saw a bigfoot trudging through the woods, I would shoot it with my camera, trying very hard to keep from shaking while I'm at it.

To kill a rare animal or a bigfoot is only adding to their rarity and that's not a good thing. Wounding such an animal would be tragic (and perhaps stupid if you mistook a bear for bigfoot...they've been known to get nasty).

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0951
I'd not shoot it. Actually, I wouldn't say anything either.
I'd leave it to enjoy whatever threads of peace remained for it, before it's habitat was inevitably built on, logged to oblivion, dug up, or turned into farmland (or pharmland as it increasingly seems to be these days). Screw the cash, screw the glory.

In an ideal world, if I could 100% guarantee that the existence of this creature would protect it's environment utterly and completely, and isolate it from us, then I'd try to prove it's existence beyond doubt, but still not at the cost of killing one. This becomes an interesting moral and ethical question at this point. Would the death of one save the species ? If so, does one have the right to take that life. I think not, as it's sacrifice cannot be guaranteed to protect it's species in today's world ... :-(

I agree. I would never wound or kill a creature unless I knew for a fact it would help to ensure the survival of other creature, or if I needed it's meat to help myself to survive in a way I believed to be ethical (hunting instead of consuming animal products from industrial factories for example).

Clearly, if bigfoot exists, either as a lone creature or a part of a species containing several individuals, the creature would be rare. I don't believe we have the right to eradicate even a single individual to satisfy our interest for the unknown.

Of course, if I could guarantee the creature a life in freedom while scientits observed it from afar, that would be the best. I would certaintly want to share the obervation and the proof of it's existance with my fellow humanbeings, but I doubt this would have been possible to do while also ensuring the rights of the creature.Chances are it would either end up in an animal testing fascility, or in captivety, serving the rest of it's life as entertainment for simple minded people.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Lemme add something else to the mix....

what if you knew for a fact that the crypto specimen in front of you was the LAST of its kind? Would you shoot it and have all the proof you need, or get to proof peacefully risking death and that the proof is never given to the public?

At stake is your name in the history books, money, fame, and anything else you could imagine.

[edit on 1/1/06 by SFRemmy]

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFRemmy
what if you knew for a fact that the crypto specimen in front of you was the LAST of its kind? Would you shoot it and have all the proof you need, or get to proof peacefully risking death and that the proof is never given to the public?

At stake is your name in the history books, money, fame, and anything else you could imagine.

I would not risk my life, nor anyone else's life, to obtain photographic or video proof of seeing the last specimen.

Think of it this way...you are the last human alive on earth. An alien sees you and thinks; "Should I kill it?" He ponders for a moment, realizes the fact you will never mate and produce children and just smiles and walks away. That would be you and that last living bigfoot. Actually, it might be kinder to kill it out of pity.

To have the infamy of being the person who killed the last specimen of any creature would only bring me shame. No money could compensate my conscience over that.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Problly Tranquelise it about 5 times make sure as Bigfoot is a big bugger imagine it getting mad.
Bigfoot is not known too be aggresive or not I beleive it may be as it has wrecked camps hasn't it and attacked people,people say so I would only shoot it if It attacked me.
As we hardly ever see Bigfoot and It must see us a lot less with our technolgys that means like pictures show it backs too it who says the bigfoot you encounter hasn't seen a human and does a runner before you shoot it or anything.
Basiclly I WOULD not shoot it as if It was the last of the species you would basiclly proved the Legend right but killed the Legend and the Legend Holder what is a bit damn dumb.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Shoot it with a marshmalllow gun. It eats the marshmallows and follows me home. We hook up with a sports agent. Sign a multimillion dollar multi year NBA contract. Separate deals for shoes and other apparel. Not to mention the insane amounts of money for razor endorsements. I take a percentage of the gross.

He dominates the league for 5-7 years then goes on to host a talk show on ESPN after marrying one of the "Desperate Housewives". By then me and my family are living on a 500 acre heavily wooded and secure compound.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   
You could shoot it, but I don't think it would do any good. People have shot at Bigfoot before, hit them with their cars and haven't dropped 'em. This enigma can't be solved so easily.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 12:04 AM
link   
well i would shoot any creature if that was the only way i could prove it existed but to silence all the the critics i would also eat it too so i wasnt just being wasteful.
however should it be the last one i would save enough gentic material so we could grow another one.
so no stock for soup i guess

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join