It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All british tanks since WW2 has .....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a name begining with a `C`

crusader, cromwell, churchill,centaur,comet, centurion, Conqueror, cheiftan and now challenger.

Interesting.

now , why is this?

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Oh and another thing:

British Self Propelled guns are named after positions in the church. This started with the American M7 105mm self propelled howitzer. This had a .50 cal machine gun ring which looked like a pulpit. This lead to British troops nicknaming the vehicle "Priest". Subsequent SP guns included the Bishop, the Canadian-built Sexton (a 25-pounder on a Grant chassis), and the post-war Abbot.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Interesting, never noticed that before!

And, you don't have to double post, just edit your first.

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
yeah well i didn`t think , i just posted it

so does anyone have any theories as to why the names begin with a C?

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
This is some huge conspiracy now?

I'm sure whoever names them likes names that begin with C or something. It's nothing more than that.

Edit: FV101 Scorpion?

[edit on 31-12-2005 by Kasra]

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   
LOL

its not a conspiracy - its a question as to `why`

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Why not? Probably just a coincedance. No conspiracy, nothing.

Or..........the reptillians did it. Either ones good.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 01:17 AM
link   
For British naming nomenclature, the use of 'C' stems from tanks originating from the Cruiser line of 1939-1940

Cruiser, Convenator, Cromwell, Centaur, Crusader, Comet, Challenger, Centurion and Chieftain.

Exceptions to this are the Churchill and Conqueror which were classed as "infantry" tanks I believe.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   
also, tracked apc's (or something similar) are all named with S's:

Scimitar, Samaritan, Scorpion, Sabre, Striker etc etc

Army website

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 01:34 AM
link   
A very big Gold Star to Windchester, as he hit the nail on the head.

Prior to the 30's when Brit tank design took off, tanks were considered by many to be little more than land going battleships or landcruisers.

The Churchill family of tanks were indeed dedicated 'close' infantry support vehicles - much like the German Sturmgeschutze.

The Conqueror on the other hand, was just another huge main battle tank along the lines of 'bigger is beautiful' but, had it ever reached the front line, it is debatable as to whether it would have needed infantry to support it or would it be able to support the infantry.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Huh, I've never noticed that before. Quite unusual, good find. =P

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I guess you have to have some guidelines for naming tanks...

Theres a reason why all American tanks are named after generals.

Same with German tanks being named after animals.

Most westerners dont know what Russian tanks are called besides their designation, but crews do nickname them things.

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSpallacus
also, tracked apc's (or something similar) are all named with S's:

Scimitar, Samaritan, Scorpion, Sabre, Striker etc etc

Army website

the scimitar, scorpian and sabre are all light tanks and carry a crew of three and no infantry the striker fires anti tank missiles and the samaritan is a an armoured ambulance hardly what i'd call an apc. i realise that mistakes are easy to make but if you are going to link a website it would be a good idea to read the website first.

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Hmm, nothing really here, I guess it goes along with why NATO named all Soviet fighters beginning with "F" such as Fagot, Frogfoot, Fulcrum, Flanker, Foxbat, Foxhound(just to name a few). Same goes for bombers with "b". And transports go with "C" right? Attack helicopters with "H".

Shattered OUT...

[edit on 15-1-2006 by ShatteredSkies]

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Actually ShatteredSkies, they're not. Fighters, I mean. The 'Frogfoot' is a Ground Attack Aircraft and not a fighter.

Sorry, but I just love being pedantic, don't you?

[edit on 24-1-2006 by fritz]

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   
well, on that last one, Soviet planes tended to earn thier designations long before NATO would know for certain what roles they would serve.

As for the "C"s, It's British tradition to keep things in a series starting with the same letter. This goes onto ship types, or at least I know it used to. Armored vehicles (read:things not quite tanks) seem to have picked up the designation of "S".

Frankly, I think it's a good system, as it tends to lend itself to more interesting names.

Cruiser, Convenator, Cromwell, Centaur, Crusader, Comet, Challenger, Centurion and Chieftain

Carrion, Crusher, Cauteriser, Cleaver, Cannible, Cancer, Cthulhu?

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Travellar
Armored vehicles (read:things not quite tanks) seem to have picked up the designation of "S".

Except the latest APC is called Warrior

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 06:11 PM
link   
maybe they wanted to differintiate APCs from other armored vehicles? Or were afraid of naming a troop carrier "Sausage".

Anyhow, it's probrably a good bet that the next one will be named "Wizard", or "Warlock", or "Wrestler" or something.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
The Saracen, Stalwart, Saladin and Salamander (RAF fire tender) all share a common Alvis chassis and power train which probably explains why they share a common initial.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Here's the funniest tank joke I ever heard:

Q: How do you stop a French tank?

A: Shoot the guy pushing it!

join