It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: USA Criticizes Egyptian Opposition Leader's 5 Year Sentence.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 02:25 AM
link   
A five year senstence handed down to Ayman Nur, the Egyptian opposition leader has provoked sharp criticism of the sentence by the USA Administration. A White House statement said that the sentence calls into question Egypts commitment to democracy and the USA is deeply troubled by the courts decision. State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said that Mr Nur's trial was marred by irregularities and has failed to meet international standards and respect for rule of law.

www.abc.net.au
The United States sharply criticised a five-year jail term handed down to Egyptian opposition leader Ayman Nur and said it calls into question its key Middle East ally's commitment to democracy.

"The United States is deeply troubled by the conviction today of Egyptian politician Ayman Nur by an Egyptian court," the White House said in a statement, after Mr Nur was sentenced to five years in prison in a Cairo court.

"The conviction of Mr Nur, the runner-up in Egypt's 2005 presidential elections, calls into question Egypt's commitment to democracy, freedom, and the rule of law," it said.

"We are also disturbed by reports that Mr Nur's health has seriously declined due to the hunger strike on which he has embarked in protest of the conditions of his trial and detention.
A Cairo criminal court sentenced the former presidential candidate to five years on Saturday for allegedly forging affidavits to register his Ghad (Tomorrow) political party last year.

Six co-defendants received prison terms ranging from three to 10 years.

Mr Nur has always denied the charges and alleged that they were trumped up by the regime to undermine his political career.

The sentences capped a six-month trial that Mr Nur's supporters called a political show and which put Washington at loggerheads with the Government of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If the USA Admin feel so strongly about it there are world courts, the UN and other methods of legal protest and if every country came out and started sticking their noses into every other countries business, what a sad world it will be.

The trial does seem unfair and it does seem a government led conspiracy to down their opponant but then again he may well have cheated, which is deceiving his countrymen and would you like a liar and cheat in charge of your own country......?

[edit on 25-12-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I don't see it as the US sticking their nose into Egypt's business. Countries have a duty to make their voice known when something is wrong; God knows, other countries and individuals are ready at the drop of a hat to criticize everything we do.
The other methods you mention are there, true, but so is the individual voice of a nation. Think of it as global freedom of speech.

I won't argue the case, but on the face of it, the sentence is severe for an ailing man. The indictment and trial itself seem political in nature.

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I don't get it..

First you say the U.S should mind thier own buisness, then you say the trial appears unfair. It looks like diplomatic relations to me.. two nations talking to resolve a conflict sounds ok to me?

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
this an egytian problem, and it should remain to be so. they will handle it on their own. this isnt a one world order, there are mutliple countries out there. we do not run them. they make there own rules for their own country. if they are being oppressed then they can revolt. its not our problem till they pose a threat. they convicted a politician, now reguardless if its a conspiracy or not, its not our job to find out. if the people of egypt want to know the truth, they will find it one way or another.

its not our business unless it causes a threat to us or our way of life/trade.

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   
lol.

So Grim, America can impose all the democracy it wants until there is a problem in a country that doesn't threaten it...

well that's just double standards....everyone in the world has a right to democracy, even Americans

I would desperately like to see America attack this situation with the same vigour they did in some of their previous "Pro-democracy" pushes

[edit on 25-12-2005 by Azza]

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 02:14 AM
link   
The US has provided Egypt with $1.3 billion a year in military aid since 1979, and an average of $815 million a year in economic assistance. All told, Egypt has received over $50 billion from the since 1975. If the US is serious about pressuring the corrupt Egyptian government towards reform the first thing it needs to do is cut off the spicket to all of this money. Money often talks louder than words in these types of situations.

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
we shouldnt have been funding them like that in the first place. that much money to egypt for what? im sorry but some one needs to let the government know that we have our own problems and would like it if they would stop giving billions of tax dollars to FORIEGN COUNTRIES!!

no i believe our government shouldnt be imposing democracy anywhere. a civilization must travel at its own pace, not forced to. you cant force some 3rd world country to become a big power. that would be like grabbing some one that just learned to walk, throwing them on a bike, then pushing them down a hill. you can guide them for as long as you want but eventually when you let go they are going to crash. they arent ready for democracy yet, thats obvious. let it happen the way we did it, a revolution. until they revolt and decide they have had enough things arent going to get any easier. its not about democracy anyway, its about what we can get from them. egypt is probably a place for military strategy. realize that our government isnt freeing these people out of the good of their heart, they want something they have, plain and simple.

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
i bet we dont know the full story to this, so perhaps this guy has done something wrong to warrant a jail sentence

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Narn
i bet we dont know the full story to this, so perhaps this guy has done something wrong to warrant a jail sentence

yeah probably, seeing as Egypt's commitment to democracy is squeaky clean and never the subject of disrepute/sarcasm.

obviously we shouldn't jump to conclusions, but I'd like to reaffirm my desire for the US to sort this out.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   
grim reaper why does democracy have to come from a revolution?

couldnt it come the way it did in australia, in a peacful federation?

the need to have a revolution to overthrow a government and establish a new one is actually the communist/socilist philosophy.

as for the egypt america thing i really think america should mind its own buisness. i dont see any other countrys having a go at egypt over this

top topics

join