It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you carry - and why

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Wondered if we had any other occasional or committed CCW'ers hereabouts, and if so, what is your weapon/s of choice and what did you base your decision on.

I mostly pack a Kel-Tec P-3AT loaded with Santa Barbara 87 grain truncated cone, exposed core FMJs. This stuff is very, very hot for .380ACP and is Spanish surplus from a 1982/83 police contract. It is non-expanding and offers 16 inches of penetration in 10% ballistic gelatin which is what I'm looking for in a pipsqueak gun like the Kel-Tec. I pocket carry in an Uncle Mike's #1 pocket holster which is designed to snag on the pocket edge during the draw stroke. The gun disappears even in tight jeans. The main reason I repeatedly choose the Kel-Tec over bigger, more powerful options is the appalling excuse of ease and convenience - in the hopefully unlikely case of me ever actually needing it, I have little doubt that the engagement range would be what is commonly referred to as "contact distance", this is no competition gun.

If I feel the need to step up a notch, I go to a Smith & Wesson 642 Airweight in an Uncle Mike's J Frame pocket holster. I load out with Speer's new 135gr +P JHP .38 Special load which was purpose designed for snubbies and offers reliable expansion at much lower velocities. Quite how people shoot Scandium .357 Magnum snubs is completely beyond me, 50 rounds of .38 Spcl. range ammo in the 642 will still leave me with some discomfort in the web of my right hand even with shooting gloves.

If I was ever really nervous, my SHTF gun (the HTF stands for Hits The Fan - figure the first part out on your own) is always going to be an FN Hi Power Mark III in 9mm with the new SFS system installed and loaded out with Ranger Ts in the 127gr +P+ loading. I need to acquire a holster and the De Santis Nemesis looks to be a good choice (if it fits). I have nothing against heavier calibers, but I just shoot 9mm Hi Powers so well.

Like I said, not sure if we have any other CCW'ers, but let's find out.

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 02:45 AM
link   
I have a Glock 17, 9mm handgun. I also know how to use anything & everything I put My hands on as a weapon.

I've never used My gun, & I hope I never have to, but I won't hesistate if the time to use it arises.

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I have a screwdriver.

Hey it worked on that movie about the Mexican guy.

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 05:32 AM
link   
God you Americans have it so good! Here in Blighty, 'Chavs' beat random people in the street up every. single. day. My brothers friend (who is 10) got attacked yesterday with a knife in broad daylight, thankfully he wasn't harmed.

If I did have a weapon, it would be an MP5, not very inconspicuous, I know, but those Chavs need a taste of their own medicine!

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Why do "you" ("they") want to know?
O.K., I suppose anyone silly enough to post the contents of their battery is too silly too be trusted to 'discharge wisely' and should be "relieved" of ownership.

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   
This sign will say..

I have several guns or firearms in this house and they are loaded.

However the guy who lives to the right of me has none and doesnt believe in firearms ownership.

In terms of pure civility ..what do you think socially is going to happen???

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 08:20 AM
link   
We don't 'pack'. However, in our home we have
two glocks - a 9 mil and a short 45. We (my husband
and I) are both veterans and we enjoy going to the
indoor range to shoot targets.

(the 9 mil is MINE!
)

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Winchester Ranger T
I mostly pack a Kel-Tec P-3AT loaded with Santa Barbara 87 grain truncated cone, exposed core FMJs. This stuff is very, very hot for .380ACP and is Spanish surplus from a 1982/83 police contract. It is non-expanding and offers 16 inches of penetration in 10% ballistic gelatin which is what I'm looking for in a pipsqueak gun like the Kel-Tec. I pocket carry in an Uncle Mike's #1 pocket holster which is designed to snag on the pocket edge during the draw stroke.

If I feel the need to step up a notch, I go to a Smith & Wesson 642 Airweight in an Uncle Mike's J Frame pocket holster.

If I was ever really nervous, my SHTF gun

I'm curious, why do carry a concealed weapon in the first place and what situations do you find yourself when you ' need to step up a notch ' ? Is this when you're in neighbourhoods with more black people, or what ?

Or is carrying a gun like a comfort item, like a teddy bear ?

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Orangetom, love the sentiment but look into the wording.

"Beware of the dog", can be read as an admission of of unwarrented danger to innocent visitors but, "Dogs on these premises", is a general warning to any with a fear of, or allergy to dogs and no admission of foreknown danger.

Something like, "Trained and practiced owner of firearms on these premises", may be the safer option.

You may also find yourself being sued for "sending theives next door" if you specify, which, of the neigbours is anti guns.

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zanzibar
God you Americans have it so good! Here in Blighty, 'Chavs' beat random people in the street up every. single. day. My brothers friend (who is 10) got attacked yesterday with a knife in broad daylight, thankfully he wasn't harmed.
If I did have a weapon, it would be an MP5, not very inconspicuous, I know, but those Chavs need a taste of their own medicine!

I dunno about them having it so good. Surely if anyone can pack heat, then the odds of you sustaining a fatal injury increases.

Originally posted by mad scientist
Is this when you're in neighbourhoods with more black people, or what ?

Lol. Am I allowed to laugh at this statement?

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
9mm ,semi-auto,seldom jams,30 round mag.
Everyone should have one just in case , especially here in florida since a lot of people are stark raving mad down here , and don't know it.

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by XiNGYaNGFoo
Everyone should have one just in case , especially here in florida since a lot of people are stark raving mad down here , and don't know it.

He he...I would have thought this is exactly the reason why everyone should NOT carry a piece!

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but when I know I'm headed into a bad part of town, I occassionally carry an expandable baton. This in itself is a violation of local and federal laws, but better judged by twelve than buried by six.

Mad, for me, it's just a precaution. There are simply high crime areas, and since said local and federal forces are largely ineffective at combating the problem, I will not further expose myself to risk. I *might* be able to get away with it, since I work security, and 90% of the time I'm those high-crime areas it's because of work.

DE

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Well, maybe I am old school, but my carry weapon of choice is a replica Remington .44 cal.
cap and ball revolver. I bought it without giving private information, as it is considered obsolete by police, and I can purchase balls, powder (Pyodex) and caps without signing my name. Here where I live, Indiana, it is very easy to obtain a ccw permit, and i have one. One thing to know for all of you...if stopped by a police officer, immediatly inform him or here that you are licensed to carry, and that you have the weapon on your person. The procedure is that the officer will ask for possesion of the firearm during the check, they will inspect your license, and will return your weapon after. Most police depts, do not want to know how many guns a out there, so they do not force registration. But, even if they did, a cap and ball is not a modern gun, so it is excempt in most States.
I have had to show the but of my pistol only one time, and that was enough. If it came to a showdown, I would protect mine and my familiy's lives without hesitation. I am a crasck shot with this weapon, it is easy to aim and fire, and carries a loud burst of flame and smoke when fired. I have a spare cylinder for fast reloading, and Pyrodex doesn't foul like regular black powder does. the muzzle velocity is around 750 ft. per second, the ball, being slow moving, will carry peices of cloth and dirt in with it, making every wound infected. the .44 ball expands to twice it's normal size, and does not break bones, it shatters them on impact. Modern guns? No thanks, I like my privacy too much.
By the Garce of the Goddess, I will never have to use it to kill another person. Magickman

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by KhieuSamphan

I dunno about them having it so good. Surely if anyone can pack heat, then the odds of you sustaining a fatal injury increases.

Yeah, thats a point, I could just imagine Chavs with firearms, it wouldn't be pretty.

[edit on 17-12-2005 by Zanzibar]

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   
If i had a choice of an automatic pistol i would use:

1911 type pistol

Inglis Hi Power

Bren Ten

Berreta M93R

LAR Grizzly

Wildey Magnum

Desert Eagle/Jericho 941

Maybe the Russian 'Stechkin' or the 'Pernach' full auto handguns.

Although outdated, A Full auto 'Mauser Broomhandle' also known as the 'Schnellfeuher'.

There was also a Mauser production line in Brazil and the chinese made one in .45 Cal!. They were even made as Carbines and SMG/PDW's too!

www.northwest-denture.com...

If i had a choice of revolver, I would use:

Ruger Redhawk

S&W 29/629(Dirty Harry)

Arminus Windicator .38/357 Magnum

Colt Python/King Cobra

Mateba Auto Revolver

Webley Revolvers including the 'Fosbery'.

Taurus Raging Bull

Although Automatics are more interesting, I would probably go for revolvers becouse automatics are more 'Messey' becouse the slide goes back n fourth every time you shoot so they are slightly harder to aim and you also end up leaving spent cases all over the place!, Also half of the firepower is used to reload it so the hitting power is slightly weaker.

The only problem with revolvers are you only have six rounds and are slower to reload unless you have speedloads but you get a more 'Clean' shot and the firepower is only used to shove the bullet out the barrel so your target will recieve a harder penetration. Revolvers are also 'Cleaner' becouse you can stash the spent cases till later and the sights are fixed so you get a perfect shot.

I prefer stumpy revolvers that are very powerfull, In other words to describe this firearm, It would be a 'Bulldog' Pistol.

I guess people feel more secure with weapons such as firearms, knives, bats n other stuff but just think it is the 'Real Men' who fight with thier hands. Sometimes weapons also prove you are defenceless.

Weapons should only be used in Warfare or if you are outnumbered by a Gang/Enemy troops but deep down 'Agro' is the last answer to a personal problem or a situation where you have no weapons.

[edit on 17-12-2005 by Browno]

[edit on 17-12-2005 by Browno]

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I don't carry because where I live now the violent crime rate is negligable. (Not to mention a concealed carry permit is a very difficult to get in NJ.)

If I had to pick one of my pistols to carry it would be the PPK.
It's small and extremely reliable.

Frankly I am not sure I'd carry even if I could here.

I have had little problem defending myself from would be muggers in the past (when I lived in Philly) even without a weapon, and it's a lot easier having to live with having beaten the snot out of a few people that it would have been if I'd shot them.

One thing I discovered that suprised the hell out of me is how many street criminals in actuality could barely fight their way out of paper bag. They rely on intimidation and fear more than actual fighting ability. Of course I was a bar bouncer at the time so I had the advantage of lots of practice with violent idiots.

Of course if someone appears out of nowhere and sticks a gun in your face there is little you can do, but that's true even if you are carrying, in the time it takes to pull out your weapon you will probably get shot.

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I carry my hands, both totally legal and deadly.

If you have the misfortune to point a gun or a knife at me, I firmly grab your wrist and I twist your arm till you can hear it crack, then I throw a swift punch in your throat and watch you fall to the ground like a bag of potatos. I sneak back into the crowd and you're lying there unconscious until a good samaritan notice you and call 911.

Oh, and then you are parted of whatever firearm you were carrying and I sell it on Ebay. Muahaha!!! I know I'm evil.

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Yes Dogs are very effective. I just dont care to keep a dog. I am more of a cat person. I like dogs ...but they are more high maintnence especially in citys like this one.. Also in citys like this one you have to keep them penned or tied up in your yard. I dont like that. Now if I lived in the country I would probably have one and let them run. I love to see a animal run and enjoy themselves. Citys are not natural enviornments to me ..expecially for dogs.
I think you understand that I was being a bit facetious in my posting. People discuss a great many things here in these boards. Concealed carry is just one of them. Tell you the truth from my sandpoint..while I dont agree with much of the posturing by many CCW, or gun people...I like reading these posts better than posts about sports...and movie drivel.

I am a member of a local gun club here in Virginia. I like to go to the range and target practice when I have time. Mostly rifles. I like what is called bench rest shooting. Also ,when I have time, I enjoy reloading. A good pot of coffee, some pound cake, and some good music and I can spend a enjoyable couple of hours at the reloading bench.

Also to Magickman, I am familiar with the cap and ball revolvers having had four of them in .36 and .44 calibers. Intresting choice you have there considering the state in which you live.

I dont count on the local constabulary or politicians to protect me or my propertys. To much politics involved. It has turned more into self preservation of this institution than protecting the public in many areas of this nation. This has become obvious in many arenas...especially politics.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   
They don't let us have guns where we are. I wish they did hopefully I'll never need one.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join