It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When will flying cars take over?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Just a reminder, all of pilots of these aircraft were TRAINED pilots who did this for a living.

No accountants or bank officers just hoping from home to work.

Still want a car that flies?

- One Man Short ®

[edit on 5-12-2005 by One Man Short of Manhood]

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Suppose it was set up so that you couldn't drive it, and it had it's own guidance system?

-P

Originally posted by One Man Short of Manhood
Please don't let people in the air that do not know what they are doing!

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by postings
Suppose it was set up so that you couldn't drive it, and it had it's own guidance system?

-P

Please don't let people in the air that do not know what they are doing!

I think thats how its going to be. The machine flies from point A to point B without any human intervention. Heck we are already designing and have even created UAVs that do just that so its indeed possible.

Perhaps they will have some emergancy controls for Humans. Even the Moller Skycar was designed to be much simpler to operate then any plane,That was his goal atleast.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I do think self-guidance systems are a LONG way off.

A very well funded aircraft company had one fly right into trees killing 3 people.

www.airdisaster.com...

I fly a Piper Saratoga with an auto pilot slaved with a GPS, it is top of the line and still has a long long long long way to go before it can fly itself.

Thanks

- One Man Short ®

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Even the Moller Skycar was designed to be much simpler to operate then any plane,That was his goal atleast.

But the problem with this is, it still has to have wings - engine - propeller (jet engine) and still must generate lift - fight stall - fight ice - battle birds - understand aerodynamics - weight balance - - - I could go on.

My point is that flight is still flight no matter how simple you try to make, and no mater how much computers try to do it for you.

If they make them to go from point A to point B without human intervention, and the hard drive on the inboard computer fails the human behind the yoke better know all of these things or it may come down, hard, on a school - church - hospital - (insert building here)

How many average joes will be willing to take flight lessons for 3 months to 2 years at $80 - 300 hours to fly a car when they could just drive. I don't think there will be enough people to make it economically fesible.

And I do think the government should make everyone who would own one take flight lesson just in case the worst case scenario happens, because sometime, somwhere it will.

Just my opinion.

- One Man Short ®

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I can just see it now, a huge swarm of cars bigger than any swarm of bees or locusts, blocking out the sun, causing global cooling....nah.

I find flying cars just too much of a hazard to be fully commercial. It is concievable, however, of great "skyways" which transports cars all over, like roller coasters (without loop-de-loops) Huge "skyways"-Just barely feasible.
Unguided skycars flying everywhere, crashing into things-No way

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   

If they make them to go from point A to point B without human intervention, and the hard drive on the inboard computer fails the human behind the yoke better know all of these things or it may come down, hard, on a school - church - hospital - (insert building here)

Definitely legitimate concerns. The Moller Skycars address these with a number of countermeasures. They say all of their systems are redundant. They can loose two engines and still be able to fly, there is redundant computer systems on-board, there is even a parachute if all else fails. I don't know though, like you I think they have a lot to overcome. I would be a little nervous about these things flying over my roof, but Moller realizes this too. This is why they haven't released them yet though. They are still doing a lot of work to address these issues. I got the impression while reading around about this that like you, the companies involved in the various types of skycars aren't taking any of this lightly.

A long way off until some of these come to market isn't unimaginable either. It has taken this long thus far, and even if companies can overcome the technical challenges, and safety issues, there will still be a LOT of naysaysers who have legitimate concerns.

-P

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Now, I wonder what altitude would be suitable for the cars to fly? To me it seems there should be many different heights: city, town, country etc. Now say that the country altitude for flight was relatively low, say 10 or 15 feet, wouldn't this eleminate some problems. Say...Birds, freezing temps, very deadly crashes. Even if the altitude was somewhat higher, 25-40 ft., wouldnt that still be alright.

Im just throwing some suggestions out there, but I mean who really thought about inventions we have today would be realistic. It's much easier to shoot down ideas than it is to back them up.

I believe that flying cars could look like anything. Some people seem to be getting the image of a toyota camry flying around the sky. While this may be possible, I think the car will be redifined as a much smaller machine.

Check out one of the concept flying cars we might have in store for the future (looks a little absurd) However, just go back to the future and ask IBM what they thought about computers.

Mercedez?

[edit on 5-12-2005 by nonpoint]

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 12:13 AM
link   
*Mistake*

[edit on 6-12-2005 by NWguy83]

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   
But ... the fun thing is people cheat everything ... You make rules people think that they have to be broken .. The only problem with that is ... that if we do make flying cars, the ONLY way that they will have to be guided will be by COMPUTER NAVIGATION SYSTEMS .. Whether it be just a simple computer guiding it in lines in the sky or ... random mapping ... Either way we have machines that could do this now ... The only real problem that we have now is getting the Dern thing in the air and flying Accurately ... without other interruptions such as weather ... or Animals ... but what would happen if someone took the Navigation System out of one of those cars ???? Such as Rolling the miles back on your car you have now ... or Supping the car up or Putting Nitrous Oxide on your car .. basically called "Spraying" .... anywho .... What would these miscalculations of people cause ?? HUSE DIASASTERS !!! Any how .. Like the thread ..

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I too am a pilot, and I really can see no logical way as to how this would ever happen, at least not for a very very long time. IMHO, there would simply be too many complexities involved with the idea of letting numerous untrained individuals be allowed to operate incredibly complex machines in the air.

The argument about the cars being completely computer controlled is also fairly ridiculous since computers do tend to fail once in awhile and are not always capable of handling certain tasks such as landing; especially since the car would likely be in the VTOL category. This would all be further complicated by weather concerns and weight and balance issues.

Originally posted by nonpoint
Now, I wonder what altitude would be suitable for the cars to fly? To me it seems there should be many different heights: city, town, country etc. Now say that the country altitude for flight was relatively low, say 10 or 15 feet, wouldn't this eleminate some problems. Say...Birds, freezing temps, very deadly crashes. Even if the altitude was somewhat higher, 25-40 ft., wouldnt that still be alright.

Umm, sorry, but hell no! First off, there would really be no point to having a flying car, fly around 10-15ft., basically just in ground effect. That would be highly ineffecient and extremely dangerous to anyone on the ground and even in the aircraft. Lets say they loose an engine; what then...Oh guess what, looks like you have about .3 seconds to react before your "car" impacts the ground or stalls...typically, most GA planes are required to be at least 1000'agl above populated areas and that's still fairly low.

I really cannot see this idea happening at all; or at least, not until I'm a great-grandfather or something.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
What if they could build computer systems such as the ones in your car ... How often does your cars computer System Fail ???? NOt so often ...You may never experience a problem with it ...There are many other computers that run things .. Such as phone lines .... and electricity ... How many times a year do you go without electricity .. not very often .. how often does the internet go DOWN .... NEVER !! I think that whoever said that computers crashes all the time has to be someone that is alittle older and not really that computer litterate ... Or at least not up to date with the computers and how much techonology has EVOLVED especially in the use that the military has them .. Such as the gliders that they have been flying all over the Middle East ... REMOTE CONTROL .... I think there has been one crash ..Since they started TESTING on them .... If they have only had one crash since testing had begun on them I imagine that they have done some extensinve changes to them ... Any how ... This could very much be imaginable ... it is not like we are talking about Magic here Guys ... Come on open up your eyes ... You sound like my great great great Grandfather that was always saying there will never be able to have wireless phones .... or Color Television ... Come on Guys we already have this tech. back then we didn't know what was going on well .. besides our military .. Any how .... If there are ever flying cars .. the military will have them First somewhere .. If you haven't notice ... all advances that we have ever had came in War time situations first .... Funny how war pushes us to find something new ... Any how ...

A computer can configure gauges alot faster than a human being ever thought about computing data .... ANYONE WHO DISAGREES with that is in FACT in more of a surprise than I could ever convey to you ...

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   

I do think self-guidance systems are a LONG way off.

A very well funded aircraft company had one fly right into trees killing 3 people.

www.airdisaster.com...

I fly a Piper Saratoga with an auto pilot slaved with a GPS, it is top of the line and still has a long long long long way to go before it can fly itself.

Thanks

- One Man Short ®

DO YOU HONESTLY THINK YOU HAVE THE TOP OF THE LINE EQUIPTMENT ??? And if it is the Top of The Line EQUIPTMENT that you can buy ... Do you still feel that the military aren't using applications of EQUIPTMENT that would make you feel like a little child in an airplane ???

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   

But the problem with this is, it still has to have wings - engine - propeller (jet engine) and still must generate lift - fight stall - fight ice - battle birds - understand aerodynamics - weight balance - - - I could go on.

My point is that flight is still flight no matter how simple you try to make, and no mater how much computers try to do it for you.

How many average joes will be willing to take flight lessons for 3 months to 2 years at $80 - 300 hours to fly a car when they could just drive. I don't think there will be enough people to make it economically fesible.

And I do think the government should make everyone who would own one take flight lesson just in case the worst case scenario happens, because sometime, somwhere it will.

Just my opinion.

- One Man Short ®

People are so INSIDE THE BOX .... That is TRADITIONAL flight ... such as riding a horse used to be conventional travel ... this person would have been the person ... trying to make a Horse Drawn Carriage better while the real question is how do we make ENGINES ???

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Here's what I think:
I think that when most people think flying cars, they are thinking of the opening scenes of Back to the Future 2, where people get their cars hoverconverted and have a skyway and a half. When I first watched that scene, I thought that would be SOOOO cool!!! But then I grew up and realized that if you run out of gas, you can't just pull over. If you break down, you break DOWN!!! Part of me would like to see flying cars become the majority, because my plan would be to stay on the ground while all the traffic is above. Which brings another scary factor: You are driving along a country road, when all of a sudden a Ford Expedition Sky Edition runs out of gas and falls on your car, crushing it instantly. That'll ruin your whole weekend!!!
I think that there are way too many unknown variables to make this happen anytime soon.
A lot of you say if it happens, you will basically be in a traveling tin can, with no control. Computers will never be perfect.. I don't think I would trust one to carry me from Boston, MA to Richmond, VA or something like that. Heck, I wouldn't trust a computerized vehicle to carry me the 40 miles to work!! As it is I wonder how cars of today don't break down more often!

When I started this post, all that was runnin thru my head was "Good, take to the skies. More room on the ground for me!" Then that vehicles falling from the sky thing popped in and went a totally different direction.
I think the ground highways will grow to be like 24-lanes(12 N or E/12 S or W) before we worry about flyin like birds, but I could be wrong!

For now, I'm not quite ready to put my money down on a Honda Falcon SE just yet!!

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I am like oh goodness where is this going someone's got to thinking again .. lol ... I bet that is what all of you think about me too lol ... I know it's true ... Oh well ...

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ufochaser
I think that when most people think flying cars, they are thinking of the opening scenes of Back to the Future 2, where people get their cars hoverconverted and have a skyway and a half. When I first watched that scene, I thought that would be SOOOO cool!!! But then I grew up and realized that if you run out of gas, you can't just pull over. If you break down, you break DOWN!!!

Yep, would you really feel safe with a "soccer mom" driving around some giant flying SUV when there's suddenly an electrical or computer failure? The main issue I see with this whole notion is that there is far too much emphasis placed on the computer controlling all functionsof the car; and if that fails, all responsibility must be placed on the driver/pilot, who, probably isn't going to be that highly trained if this were mass produced. Although these ideas sound great, there is no real redundancy which is something that's key when dealing with aircraft or some mass produced flying car.

And one other point, in order for these to be able to park in your garage or parking space, it's likely that they're going to be crude lifting bodies with small stubby wings and engine thrust providing the primary means of lift, especially during take-off and landing. This may sound ok, and it is so long as your source of power doesn't die on you it is, but if you do loose an engine, unlike a typical plane that could glide for miles, you're going to come crashing down rather fast; think falling brick.

Oh, and imagine the sounds of thousands of jet engines passing by over your house constantly...and people complain about airports pfft.

Bottom line, although you might end up seeing a few prototypes of these, maybe even one or two in the garage of a billionaire; I'd say the chances of this eliminating the common car are close to null.

[edit on 6-12-2005 by G8tsoHellrOpn4me]

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   
OK, it seems that there might be more to "flying cars" than meets the eye....after all they might not be for everyone. The idea of soccer moms scooting through the skies actually makes me shudder in fear. But....BUT, perhaps a flying car would be more practical as emergency vehicles.

Can you imagine a flying car being used as an ambulance? Traffic will no longer delay someone who is critically injured from getting to medical attention. Helicopters, of course, need quite a bit of space to land -- even vertically. But a flying car could just swoop in, land, load the injured party and ....swoosh away skyward towards the hospital.

Police and even Firemen -- especially rescue crews -- could, again avoid traffic delays and get to where they are needed quickly.

The part that makes this a good idea, in my opinion, is that "trained" pilots/drivers would be at the wheel of the flying car and not some harried, curler wearing soccer mom hell bent at getting junior to the game without a care for traffic, buildings, trees, power lines or what have you.

All I can say is.....We need the flying car.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty
It'll never happen. What is in the air that I need a car to obtain? We have planes to take us across large distances and haul other parload, these I think would be much more effecient than a personal flying car.

Frosty brings up a very strong point. Probably the strongest there is. From socities stand point the sky is pretty much empty, all our stuff is on the ground. The only real need we have as a society to have flying crafts is to traverse large distances (overseas)...and we already have commerical planes for that.

However Frosty you shouldn't be so indefinite. Forever is a long time. What if we eventually develop the technology to suspend the stuff that's on the ground in the sky. An example being buildings floating in the air. Thus we would have a practical need for personal flying crafts. Of course this seems intangible at our present moment in time but again when you bring up the timeline of infinity it seems silly to use indefinites.

You mentioned the potential accidents of flying crafts. Are you suggesting this alone would cause them to not go into production? I'm sure they were aware at some level the potential hazards of motor vehicles before they were commercialized...this wasn't an indefinite roadblock nor does it continue to be one for our ground vehicles. All this means is developing better saftey features. The same would apply to flying crafts. Perhaps some kind of magnetic repulsion? (I am by no means as educated as you are on physics and related fields)

originally posted by nonpoint
When will flying cars take over?

We don't have much practical need for flying cars right now so there isn't going to be much funding for its development. So IMO it's going to be a long time. It might just be so long that the idea of a personal flying craft becomes obsolete getting replaced by teleporters or personal nanotech wings, or whatever

[edit on 063131p://6u31 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I think flying cars have a ways to go, I think We will have them in the skies in about a decade. I'm not talking millions of them...I mean dozens, then maybe another decade goes by we will have thousands. I dont think they will ever be sold in the numbers that automobiles are.

I think they will be powered by turbines...since thats really the only thing that has VTOL, and can swivel the turbines in flight for more speed.

Cars these days, like the Mercedes, have a radar in the front and if your not paying attention and its on cruise control and are coming up fast on someone will apply the brakes for you...and can sound an alarm when your eyes shut, and have cameras in the front that look at road paint, and notify you when your getting close to it. Its all the little inovations like this that over time will make every person in the car...a passenger. I would love to have a car that could drive itself...It would make road trips a breeze, and take me home when I've had a bit to much.

For the future I see cars getting much much smarter, which will keep people liking them well into the 21st century.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join