It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is only one kind of "football".........American football!!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   
The Pack's only one game out of the Reggie Bush sweepstakes. It was to be expected. Maybe not getting annihilated like that, but I was pretty sure they weren't going to give a great effort.

Peace

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
The Pack's only one game out of the Reggie Bush sweepstakes. It was to be expected. Maybe not getting annihilated like that, but I was pretty sure they weren't going to give a great effort.

Peace

Yeah.. there was little effort... But they will get booed out of Lambeau next week if they don't at least put an effort into beating the hated Bears.

I edited my last post to include a rant on artificial turf... Would like to hear your thoughts on it Doc.

[edit on 20-12-2005 by LostSailor]

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Couldn,t be more wrong. Football has been played all over the world long before american football was invented. Plus, rugby is much more violent than american football. Pele is the only soccer star? just the only one you have heard of. Henry, Zindane, Raul, Rhonaldinho, Lampard, just to name a few. I was born and raised in Texas and never saw a soccer game until i was 14, years after i started playing american football. But give me a Man U v Arsenal at a sold out Highbury over a Packers v Broncos any day. Go Arsenal! Death to Chelsea

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   

I remembered this quote as I was reading the sports page this morning. They had a picture of Ronaldhino, the FIFA Player of the Year. Of course the story was on the last page next to all the erectile disfunction ads, but that wasn't the funniest part. The funniest part was the picture of Ronaldhino. His teeth were going every which way but loose!
Don't these guys make enough scratch to mix in a trip to the dentist every now and then? What a horrible picture! It was frightening.

Peace

Atleast FOOTball player's can see their toes.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Donald Driver, Jevon Walker, and there other wide recievers would not do a thing last night. Now I really know why Brett was pissed off last nite. He had a right to be pissed too.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by xeroxed88
Atleast FOOTball player's can see their toes.

I don't think that football player can see his toes... What friggin' team is that anyways?

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimmefootball400
Donald Driver, Jevon Walker, and there other wide recievers would not do a thing last night. Now I really know why Brett was pissed off last nite. He had a right to be pissed too.

Walker got hurt in the first game of the season this year... On artificial turf in Detroit might I add. Hasn't played since and may never be as good as he was all due to artificial turf. Messed his knee up pretty bad on another play where you couldn't even see the injury. Don't get me wrong, players get hurt on natural grass too, it just seems that it happens less frequently and with less severity.

*sorry, still ranting*

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Haha, even Neil Ruddock was "trimmer" than that, and he was a Pie-Master amongst footballers

Also to add, Ronaldinho is Brazilian, so any "Bad Teeth" remarks can be swiftly diverted from us Europeans old chap, our Sport is immensley better, but we can't be responsible for our imports teeth!

Anyway, anyone who saw Rooneys goal against *edit* Wigan last week, or C.Ronaldos cross the other day (unbelievably sweet), cannot fail to realize the beauty and skill of football, as opposed to the basic, mechanical, autonomy of "American Football".

[edit on 20-12-2005 by chebob]

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by chebob

Anyway, anyone who saw Rooneys goal against West Ham last week, or C.Ronaldos cross the other day (unbelievably sweet), cannot fail to realize the beauty and skill of football, as opposed to the basic, mechanical, autonomy of "American Football".

What? Someone actually scored a goal in a soccer game? Stop the press!!!

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor

Yes, but scoring a goal is something exciting to celebrate in this game we call football, not just another cue for the other team to have a go
:w:

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   

I'll go you soccer hooligans one better, we probably have the best soccer player in the world playing here in America and his name is Freddy Adu. Eventually we'll get all the best soccer players in the world playing over here in the states and then we'll change the game and add some flavor and toughness to it.

Maybe we'll even give them some sissy armor so they can play no holds barred.

Peace

Please do some research or quit talking about things you have no clue about. Freddy Adu is a Nike shoe and jersey seller, nothing more. He is a good player and will probably do decent in MLS, but at this point he would have a hard time playing in one of the top leagues in Europe. The MLS is a struggling league and they need publicity, so they over hype their players. Soccer will continue to be a minor PRO sport in the US until the US mens team wins a World Cup. Just look what the womens team did for US womens soccer. However, US youth competitive teams play and win all over the world. So that being said, i would like to extend kuddos to those american players succeeding in europe, such as Brian McBride, Claudio Reyna, Kasey Keller, Brad Friedel, etc.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Zoso28, you forgot the 3 most decent American players abroad - Tim Howard, Jonathon Spector and Giuseppe Rossi. Not great by our standards, but very good additions to the game.

Rossi and Spector in particular are young players that seem to have a hell of a lot of potential, especially Rossi, who could turn out to be household name in a few years time.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by zoso28

Please do some research or quit talking about things you have no clue about.

You are forgetting that this thread was made in jest.

I don't claim to have any knowledge about soccer... Other then the fact I have zero interest in it. Just like how most of the soccer hooligans have no knowledge of footall.

It's all in good nature with only a few people actually taking this thread seriously.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by zoso28
Soccer will continue to be a minor PRO sport in the US until the US mens team wins a World Cup. Just look what the womens team did for US womens soccer.

Soccer may get a little boost if they win the World Cup; I'll admit that. I still don't think it will ever be big enough to move ahead of Baseball, Football, Nascar, Basketball, and even Hockey. I just don't think anyone realizes how little interest Americans have in the sport of soccer. It just isn't our thing man... Not enough action.

*sorry*

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I didn't honestly think that anything good could be taken from American Football, and transferred to the Beautiful Game. That was, until I saw this:

At the risk of sounding like a right old misogynist, gotta love those cheerleaders!

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   

It's all in good nature with only a few people actually taking this thread seriously.

Yeah, I don't think anyone posting here is actually EXPECTING to change the "other sides" mind about their sport, and if they are, they are wasting their time.

Like a lot of things, there is no changing of views on this, and certianly not because of what someone else said.

That being said, Football is far superior to American Football, and Manchester United is one (and the best) of many reasons why

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by chebob
Yes, but scoring a goal is something exciting to celebrate in this game we call football, not just another cue for the other team to have a go
:w:

You aint kidding there! Goals are so few and far between that the announcer has to scream the word "GOAL" for ten freakin' minutes!
What's up with that?

LostSailor

As far as the astroturf thing goes, personally I think the league should have outlawed it years ago, but then again I can see why they still allow it. It's the NFL's way of forcing these teams to get new stadiums built, stadiums that will bring in more revenue than the old, outdated ones. If enough players get hurt the owners will have to wisen-up eventually and force their respective cities to pony up for a new stadium with a retractable roof and natural turf.

At least that's how I see it.

Implosion

As far as that Claire chick goes, who is she? What, was she an NFL cheerleader who's now playing soccer or what? I have no idea who the hell that is.

Peace

p.s. Europeans cracking on other countries' teeth!? Those must be some bad freakin' teeth!!

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
She is one of the Hammerettes. West Hams Cheerleaders. There was a much better picture of them in the paper yesterday, but I can't find it online. I don't think she is American, but I can't tell for sure because she has her mouth closed. I was refering to the American custom of having cheerleaders at games. Credit where it's due, and all that...

Edit to add Football violence! Granted, some of them do look more like they're swinging a handbag.

[edit on 20/12/05 by Implosion]

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 03:54 AM
link   

The mouthguards... well... Americans have always been a bit more picky about how our teeth look heh?

I remembered this quote as I was reading the sports page this morning. They had a picture of Ronaldhino, the FIFA Player of the Year. Of course the story was on the last page next to all the erectile disfunction ads, but that wasn't the funniest part. The funniest part was the picture of Ronaldhino. His teeth were going every which way but loose!
Don't these guys make enough scratch to mix in a trip to the dentist every now and then? What a horrible picture! It was frightening.

Peace

Yeah but, you only like pretty boys in tights don't ya Doc? Preferably wearing the kind of gaudy superbore jewellry that even a pimp would be embaressed to wear. Its the FIFA world player of the year BTW. World as in 'from around' the world

Really, how hard is it to score when the whole end of the pitch is the score zone? Put the scoring zone down to around an 1/8th and see how you get on. And making your scoring artificially high by awarding multiple points doesn't count either. If we scored the game in a similar way to you, and awarded multiple points for a goal, multiple points for shots on target and multiple points for shots off target, the scores would be similar

Just like how most of the soccer hooligans have no knowledge of footall.

Getting confused again aren't we? Not surprising for an NFL knuckle dragger. its foot and ball, ball and foot, get it? what you play is pointyball or throwball or handball or armoured wankball

Implosion

I didn't honestly think that anything good could be taken from American Football, and transferred to the Beautiful Game. That was, until I saw this:

WTF are you on about man? cheerleaders? I used to have a lot of respect for the Hammers until this. What happened that you need dancing girls? Do you sing 'I'm forever waving pom poms' on the terraces now? Only if you had them dancing tits out, like I saw in the paper the other day, would cheerleaders be a good thing for football! What next? A souzafone band? commercials before every throw in?

[edit on 21-12-2005 by ridcully]

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion

Edit to add Football violence! Granted, some of them do look more like they're swinging a handbag.

I stopped watching this after the second time seeing one guy get bitch slapped by another guy. Thats... Some pretty feminine fighting there guys...

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join