It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is only one kind of "football".........American football!!

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor
Just went to see the Packers vs. Bears this Christmas.

I hope you had plenty of beer to keep yourself warm, or are you one of these crazy guys that insists on taking off their shirt in sub-zero temperatures?

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by KhieuSamphan
I hope you had plenty of beer to keep yourself warm, or are you one of these crazy guys that insists on taking off their shirt in sub-zero temperatures?

I think its the beer that leads to the shirt removal... I tend to keep my eyes on the girls in the green and gold bikinis instead of the men. it was 28 degrees, so... only 3 below freezing... Pretty warm actually for the time of year. Yes, me and my cousins were quite drunk... and thats an understatement.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   
The NFL has Lambeau Field.

Major League Baseball has Fenway Park.

The NHL has Belle Centre in Montreal.

Auto Racing has Daytona.

The NBA doesn't count.

What is it that soccer has?

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimmefootball400
What is it that soccer has?

Class my friend. Class.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 02:08 AM
link   
GimmieFootball400, If I was to guess, by your name I would assume you are passionate about a sport involving feet and a ball but by judging by your last post I know this isnt the case. As for your stadiums: I love them all and love the NFL but are you at all serious? Does a world exist to you outside North America?

Cant be bothered to post photos of FOOTBALL stadiums here but will give you a link that barely scratches the surfuce. These largely deal with international matches so history of club teams are left out.
fifaworldcup.yahoo.com...

Oh and there is a a big planet out there, look into it

[edit on 6-1-2006 by Bandar Paul]

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 03:53 AM
link   
gimmefootball400
Well how about
England:
Anfield, Highbury, Stamford Bridge, Wembley, White Harte Lane, Old Trafford, St. James's Park, The Hawthorns (ok so thats ones personal)
Spain:
Camp Nou, Estadi Olimpic Montjuic, Estadio Riazor, Estadio Santiago Bernabeu, Estadio M. Ruiz de Lopera, Estadio El Madrigal
Italy:
Stadio Luigi Ferraris, San Siro, Stadio Olimpico, Delle Alpi
France:
Stade de l'Abbé-Deschamps, Stade Louis ll, Parc des Princes, Stadium Municipal
learn

a little
And.......etc I think you get the picture

And why oh why oh why do you insist on holding nascrap up as some shining example of motor sport? Daytona? An oval FFS!!! Try this.........

The Nürburgring where proper motor sport is raced. Want me to post Silverstone? Suzuka? Imola? Interlagos? Need I go on?

[edit on 6-1-2006 by ridcully]

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   
What's wrong with Nascar? I mean.. It is nice you can name off a bunch of tracks... But, do you know "anything" about nascar besides the shape of the track?

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Ah, The Nurburgring. Second fastest road course in Europe next to Circuit de La Sarthe in Le Mans. But it is the longest one that's currently in use in the world at over thirteen miles.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I love both sports dearly!

Im a Pats (New England Patriots) fan and a Liverpool FC supporter. Both amazing games which shouldn't be compared!

Here's a proper game for ya. Hurling.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Football or Soccer as you call it has this:

Which by the way is the biggist stadium of any sport in the world 190,000 seats. That is why football is the the buitifull game and the unervisal licence.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Well, my beloved Redskins are in the NFL playoffs for the first time this decade so before they get eliminated tomorrow, Im trying to enjoy the moment as much as I can.

This post is mostly in fun. Im not about to sit here and pound on my keyboard in fits of anger insisting that my brain is bigger then yours (brain, right?).

So, with all fun in mind, I'd love to see some of the world's best "soccer" players try to earn some American respect by doing this: Playing American football against each other withOUT the pads.

Same goes for ruby players.

Soccer and NFL football both require skill and smarts. But the NFL requires something extra, the physical ability to pancake their opponent.

As far as speed goes, its true that many NFL players are slow as snails. They are called linemen. It isnt their job to run to and fro like its basketball or soccer players. Their job is to stand there like a brick wall with spikes.

But take an NFL wide receiver like Randy Moss; he will run you down!
Take an NFL running back like OJ Simpson; he'll kill you!

And how about Zues. Remember Zues who played for the NFL's Cleveland Browns? The ref threw a flag that landed in the guys eye and for a moment, that guy started going after the ref. That ref had to retreat. Thats a heck of a sport when the players are going after the refs.

In soccer, the ref waves his little red flag at players that get out of line. In the NFL, the little red flag is used by coaches to make the ref look stupid.

Heck, even in wimpy ole baseball, a team's manager will get in an umpires face and kick dirt on him, spray spit on him. The ump can kick him out of the game but he has to take it until the manager gets his fill.

But one of the toughest sports in the world is boxing. Two guys just bashing each other to no end.

But there is a sport tougher then that.

Having to fight or referee a fight involving Mike Tyson. When Mike says "I'll rip his face off," he really isnt kidding.

When he says, "I'll eat your kids," you would be smart to place them in armed, protective custody.

But honestly, if soccer players tried playing NFL style football without pads in an effort to prove what sport has the toughest players, they wouldnt need ambulances. They would need lifeflight helicopters.

Ask Joe Theismann, ask Mike Uttley (if he is still alive). NFL football hurts.

Those two guys had the two most famous injuries in American sports television history.

At any rate, I hope this thread continues. I really am interested in how people outside the US try to figure out the NFL.

Debate on!

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 08:29 PM
link   

So, with all fun in mind, I'd love to see some of the world's best "soccer" players try to earn some American respect by doing this: Playing American football against each other withOUT the pads.

Agreed, but i would like to see NFL players try to out skill, Cristiano Ronaldo or Steven Gerrard.

Same goes for ruby players

Rugby players dont wear pads anyway.

Soccer and NFL football both require skill and smarts. But the NFL requires something extra, the physical ability to pancake their opponent.

Yes, but it takes something else to drop kick someone in the shins running at full speed.

And how about Zues. Remember Zues who played for the NFL's Cleveland Browns? The ref threw a flag that landed in the guys eye and for a moment, that guy started going after the ref. That ref had to retreat. Thats a heck of a sport when the players are going after the refs.

i take it you havent seen the footage of refs being punched and head butted by players, fans and Manergers.

But one of the toughest sports in the world is boxing. Two guys just bashing each other to no end.

Agreed.

Having to fight or referee a fight involving Mike Tyson. When Mike says "I'll rip his face off," he really isnt kidding.

True, unless your name is Lennox Lewis, who just laid wast to him.

When he says, "I'll eat your kids," you would be smart to place them in armed, protective custody.

I would be more botherd about my ear, the man is not a fighter he is a vile criminal and should never have been aloud to box.

But honestly, if soccer players tried playing NFL style football without pads in an effort to prove what sport has the toughest players, they wouldnt need ambulances. They would need lifeflight helicopters.

So would NFL players after trying to run constintly for 90 mins.

Soccer players must be doing something right when the top earners are getting £110,000 a week or $195,000 a week. It is and allways will be the biggist sport in the world.

Good post tho'

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by picklewalsh
Agreed, but i would like to see NFL players try to out skill, Cristiano Ronaldo or Steven Gerrard.

I don't get it... Are you saying there is no skill involved in the NFL?

Rugby players dont wear pads anyway.

Yeah... But they don't play Football with no pads.

Yes, but it takes something else to drop kick someone in the shins running at full speed.

Yeah... You have to be able to kick like a girl.

i take it you havent seen the footage of refs being punched and head butted by players, fans and Manergers.

Yes... We are a bit more civilized aren't we.

So would NFL players after trying to run constintly for 90 mins.

Again with this running for 90 minutes garbage... Is that really something to brag about? They don't even run 80% of the time... There is a difference between running and jogging you know. Now Ice hockey players are always going full speed... Thats something to brag about.

Soccer players must be doing something right when the top earners are getting £110,000 a week or $195,000 a week. It is and allways will be the biggist sport in the world.

As long as people pay the money to sit through the boring game... Then yes players will get paid. Look back in this thread for my explanation of why Soccer is the most popular sport in the world.

*my two cents*

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Now this is a mans sport!!!!

YEAH BABY!

This is the only reason that I watch the Olympics!

BTW, American football is a 60 minute, miniature war! These guys don't care about anything except keeping the other team from scoring.

Of course the offense's job is to score and there are great quarterbacks and recievers, but the objective of the game is to SACK THE DAMNED QUARTERBACK!

08 JAN 06, Carolina Panthers-31, New York Giants-24!

I can't wait for Super Bowl XL!!!

[edit on 6/1/06 by Intelearthling]

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 10:23 PM
link   
How can all of you even compare American Football and English football? It's not even remotely the same sport, the only thing the two have in common is that its a bunch of over-paid spoiled men who play with balls.

Now both sides stop griping, kiss, and make up!

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:28 PM
link   
here we go about the running again.

i will once again point out that aussie rules requires the most running, with players covering up to 20 km a game, as opposed to soccers 11 km.

and on the subject of ovals, or as you say stadiums or watever,
how big are yours? how many people can fit in to watch?

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 03:54 AM
link   
For soccor they averagly hold around 50,000 people, with the new Wemberly holds 90,000 and the biggist one in the world is in Brazil and holds 190,000 (which btw is the biggist stadium in the world, for any sport)

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 04:16 AM
link   

What's wrong with Nascar? I mean.. It is nice you can name off a bunch of tracks... But, do you know "anything" about nascar besides the shape of the track?

No, I dont know much about nascar, but I dont need to. I live in a part of the world where international sports take place. Why would I be interested in it when I can watch F1, A1, GT series, Touring cars, World Rally Chamionships etc etc

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by ridcully

No, I dont know much about nascar, but I dont need to. I live in a part of the world where international sports take place. Why would I be interested in it when I can watch F1, A1, GT series, Touring cars, World Rally Chamionships etc etc

Exactly F! is far superior to nascar, and thw World Rally Championship is farsuperior in skill needed then all other races.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Genfinity
Ask Joe Theismann, ask Mike Uttley (if he is still alive). NFL football hurts.

I would say that Theismann's injury was the most grisly thing I've ever seen in any sport worldwide. He was folded up like a suitcase. Man, it still hurts when I think about it. Former San Francisco Giants pitcher Dave Dravecky had his arm snap in half while throwing a pitch, but you couldn't graphically see the arm hanging. How about Tim Krumrie's leg snapping in two during the 49ers vs. Bengals Super Bowl? Mike Utley was paralyzed if I remember correctly.

The only thing soccer has going for it, and I'm talking soccer outside the U.S., is better beer.

Peace

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join