It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why britain will get so cold so quick

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   
according to what we know is that the gulf stream has gone from a 25% reduction two years ago, to a 75% reduction this year, there are only two chimenys left and they can't reach the bottom of the ocean floor, in short the water is not moving, and not moving quickly. there is a chance that it will not happen immediately, but at the rate of decline of the gulf stream off the greenland ice shelves, england could be in for a weather much like alaska because of its degree location on the map. which will mean that it's entire economy, especially in the area of food procution will basically have to change and go away. there are also large pieces of coastal land being ripped off of england due to rogue waves. there is talk of moving london, and it has been proffered that we make room for england, here. what do you think? thanks linni

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   
hey man i live in london , you are right about the north atlantic current but where did you get the thing about bits of brittain being ripped away by freak waves from? not true. and move london are you mad we have put up with the cold for years we are the kings of crappy misserable weather. relocating one of the biggest cities in the world is just silly.

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   
It is inevitable that we will face severe winters and freezes in our country. People have taken the mild climate for granted.

The severe weather phenomen just in the past few months to a year is indicative that our climate is changing.

Britain won't become sub-tropical but more artic as time goes on.

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
There are two issues here:

• Is the change cyclical, similar to the mini-ice ages in the sixteen hundreds and the twelve hundreds, or even a slightly more intense one like the Younger Dryas stadial (what you Brits call the Loch Lomond stadial) between the Pleistocene and Holocene? If that is the case, it will certainly not lessen he severity, but at least we can stop beating ourselves for our misdeeds!

• Will the change in the Gulf Stream be gradual, or will there be a 'threshold' at which to-be-determined point there's a synergy of sorts which will bring on the subarctic temperatures to England and Ireland within a very short time -- say, ten years? No one knows for sure one way or another, and there appear to be conflicting computer models, some of which say one thing, some of which say another.

Either way, I am not all that sanguine about the state of the long-term real estate market in the British Isles.

Ironically, the change in the Gulf Stream, which will undoubtedly cool off Britain, will be influenced greatly by the decreased salinity in the ocean brought on by the melting of the arctic icecaps. So global warming, which will undoubtedly turn northern Canada and Siberian into temperate areas for growing millions of tones of wheat, will also turn the British Isles into a larger version of Iceland -- sans volcanoes, of course!

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   
If anyone was intrested theres a site that gives ocean temperatures. Heres a link: www.oceanweather.com...

Here are the current temps:

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
so what do thosse maps show then is it bad or what fair enough i cant see a warm stream but is that what its supposed to look like?

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by linni
according to what we know is that the gulf stream has gone from a 25% reduction two years ago, to a 75% reduction this year, there are only two chimenys left and they can't reach the bottom of the ocean floor, in short the water is not moving, and not moving quickly. there is a chance that it will not happen immediately, but at the rate of decline of the gulf stream off the greenland ice shelves, england could be in for a weather much like alaska because of its degree location on the map. which will mean that it's entire economy, especially in the area of food procution will basically have to change and go away. there are also large pieces of coastal land being ripped off of england due to rogue waves. there is talk of moving london, and it has been proffered that we make room for england, here. what do you think? thanks linni

I'm interested to find out where there is this "talk of moving london, and it has been proffered that we make room for england, here"? As we're certainly not talking about it!

Although, this winter is going to be the coldest for over a decade, but you must put that into perspective. We have had some very mild winters of late and this winter is a return to the norm.

lukka1222 is right, we have had crappy weather since time immemorial, the Romans complained about it, we complain about it, Napolean complained about it. In fact, the whole world knows that British weather is pants.

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Firstly, It's just a short term arctic blast.

Coastal land erosion is constant. Has been for millions of years.

Any tangible evidence to backup your points would be appreciated.

But I doubt you'll find any

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
In my opinion, the British weather is going full circle. Look at the weather the British had during the 40's. It is now returning to that again.

Ask anyone who was around then. They will tell you the weather now, is the same that they experienced then.

I cannot remember a white Christmas in my life time, and i am 41 years old, yet most of the survivors of the 40's can remember them like yesterday.

Good old days?????????????maybe, maybe not...................

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Well I do remember us going through a period of abstract winter weather patterns. In my short 19yr span on this Earth I remember a few white christmasses, extreme storms, calm weather and even the odd warm spell.

The increased storm activity in North America also helps push a lot of cold air down our way.

Just another winter.

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
Well I do remember us going through a period of abstract winter weather patterns. In my short 19yr span on this Earth I remember a few white christmasses, extreme storms, calm weather and even the odd warm spell.

The increased storm activity in North America also helps push a lot of cold air down our way.

Just another winter.

19 heh?
Guess you aint from the UK? As i said before, i cannot remember any white Christmas since i was born.

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I'm from the UK.

I believe it was... 95 or 96 when we had a good foot of snow.

2000 I believe we had a light covering.

thats confined to my area though. Glasgow.

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
I'm from the UK.

I believe it was... 95 or 96 when we had a good foot of snow.

2000 I believe we had a light covering.

thats confined to my area though. Glasgow.

95 was a good year for the snow, but not a patch on anything the older generation had to contend with.

In 95 i had to stay at work for three days because we had no relief cover because of the snow.

I accept you have more snow in Scotland, but we tend to get the brunt of it when it comes over the Pennines.

The fact is, we are going to get more severe winters because of the global warming etc. Although this has been happening since the the last ice age in all honesty. Correct me if i am wrong here.....................

[edit on 25-11-2005 by Bikereddie]

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
We've had a few white christmas's up here in Aberdeen but the last time there was any real covering here was in 2000.
We had blizzards yesterday but i've seen a lot worse. I haven't been snowboarding in the grampians for a few years because we've had little to no snow. If we have a cold winter then so be it, i'll be up the slopes making the most of it.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 08:32 AM
link   
and anyway back to the topic where did you find the information about the gulf stream being 75 % gone this year that really does sound stupidly high.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   
This is the newstory on which Linni's rather imaginative claims are based

Worse case scenario is that we get colder winters, but with summers much the same as normal.

As for this winter, well it's about time we had a nomal winter!

btw the last white christmas I experienced in England (South Midlands) was 2004

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   
because so many immigrants bring there weather to this country when they get shipped aboard on a boat

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I actually learned about this at grammar school in the early 1980s. It's gnawed at the back of mind like a hungry rat ever since.

It's one of the reasons why I get concerned at the British take on 'global warming' when you hear dickheads saying 'but won't it be great if it was warmer in Britain? It's always so cold!'

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Well, I live in Iceland and I simply dont feel any change, our weather has been getting better and warmer every year for over a decade at least. Skiing areas are rarely open any more and summers are getting longer and hotter. Last summer was the hottest and sunniest on record.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Where I live which is classed as a sub tropical area, complete with palm trees, we haven't had a serious fall of snow for over 20 years - and quite frankly, I'll be surprised if it doesn't happen soon.

We had a really bad summer, cold (comparitively) the usual wet, and thoroughly miserable.

If this continues, we'll be looking at a cold winter for this area - who knows, temps might even fall below freezing on the odd day

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join